Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default trying to understand DR

Once again the vague wiki leaves me lost and confused.

So in trying to understand DR, and the colored floaty damage above enemies.
    I consult the wiki and the section on monster info. I'll use Arraetrikos as an example:
    wiki says he's an lawful evil; evil outsider, with DR Silver + good.

So, I would imagine a weapon such as a "Silver holy burst of pure good" would put him to rest pretty easily. But while beating on him the other day, I didn't see any purple numbers. Of course, its easy to miss them in such a battle. But I have crafted weapons that seem to match everything the wiki says will beat the **** out of a monster but still see mostly orange damage, some yellow, and hardly ever purple.
    Also when getting ready to fight Harry the other day, someone gave me a metalline weapon to fight him with. Whats so special about metalline?

So in the last column on the wiki in monster info that says DR, is that telling me what will beat the mosters DR?
    If it says DR/- does that mean that nothing can beat its DR?
    When it says DR "Silver + good" and "Silver or good" what exactly is the difference?

I think thats all my questions for now. Thanks to everyone who has been so extraordinarily helpful thus far on the forums, and to any and all that take the time to set me straight on this!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

When it says DR/<something> that is what you need to do to break the DR.

So yes DR/- cannot be broken.

DR silver+good means you need both silver and good damage
    DR silver or good means you need either silver or good not both

If you are breaking DR you will see normal damage color not purple (purple means the mob is vulnerable and takes extra damage from that type) If you are not breaking DR you will see yellow damage which means it is being reduced.

Your crafted silver holyburst of pure good is much better than a metalline weapon. Metalline just means it will bypass ANY metal type DR so it is really only usufully if you are trying to avoid carying a bunch of different types of weapons for different mobs
    Last edited by Krelar; 01-06-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Bypassing damage reduction means you get normal damage (orange numbers) not extra damage (purple numbers). If you are not bypassing dr then you will get the yellow numbers. This means that whatever the dr rating is will be subracted right off the top of your damage output. Some monsters, namely elementals have damage reduction which cannot be bypassed. So you will always get yellow numbers for your base damage. If you are fighting a fire elemental with a weapon that does ice damage, you will get yellow base damage number, and purple numbers for the ice damage. Because ice does extra damage against fire monsters.

Edit: Rats! one minute too slow.

Purple damage indicates that the mob is exceptionally vulnerable to a damage type. You will generally not see purple damage from melee weapons with the exception of effects. If you hit a troll with a flaming weapon, you will see purple damage only on the 1d6 flaming. The rest will be orange. Orange damage indicates you are neither having your damage reduced or increased. Yellow damage indicates that you are not breaking some version of DR.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post

DR silver+good means you need both silver and good damage
    DR silver or good means you need either silver or good not both
    Does it hurt to have both?

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Your crafted silver holyburst of pure good is much better than a metalline weapon. Metalline just means it will bypass ANY metal type DR so it is really only usufully if you are trying to avoid carying a bunch of different types of weapons for different mobs
    By "metal type DR" do you mean that metalline is the same as say adamantine, silver, cold iron etc? If so, why would it be better to have "silver" or "flametouched Iron" instead of metalline?

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post

By "metal type DR" do you mean that metalline is the same as say adamantine, silver, cold iron etc? If so, why would it be better to have "silver" or "flametouched Iron" instead of metalline?
    Because metalline is itself a prefix which could be taken by something which causes extra damage on a weapon which was simply made of the right type of metal.

Individual metals like silver, cold Iron, flametouched are inate metal types these remain a part of the weapon even if it is disjuncted (cleansed of prefix/suffix)

Metalline is a prefix, so in some cases it may be less desirable as it could be filled with a damage prefix.

For instance if you had
    -Silver Holy Burst of Greater Evil Outsider Bane (Holy=good bypass).. great Devil Boss beater,
    -Metalline of Greater Evil outsider bane (would not break Good DR)
    -Metalline of Pure Good would work against Boss Devils(Silver+good) and Boss Demons (Cold Iron+Good), or any other metal+good type DR like LOB (Adamanitne+Good)

Generally the more focussed weapons will do better damage to specific mobs.
    Crafting makes this more viable to build specific mob weapons
    Last edited by JOTMON; 01-06-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Community Member

Cool. I think I got it now then.

So as a two weapon fighter, the best weapons against Arraetrikos would be two silver holy burst khopeshes of greater evil outsider bane?

If I can't yet craft evil Outsider bane, or greater evil outsider bane, what would be the next best? "Pure good", righteousness, or something else?

So as a two weapon fighter, the best weapons against Arraetrikos would be two silver holy burst khopeshes of greater evil outsider bane?

If I can't yet craft evil Outsider bane, or greater evil outsider bane, what would be the next best? "Pure good", righteousness, or something else?
    Yes.

Metalline of Pure Good is an easy General DR breaker.
    Greensteel Min2 is also a great general DR breaker.
    Silver Holy of Evil outsider Bane

Work your way up...
    Last edited by JOTMON; 01-06-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Community Member

If you can't craft any of the evil outsider bane shards, I would recommend going with a bleed shard for your suffix. 1d8 damage to targets that are vulnerable to bleeding, which includes Arraetrikos. Though, if you can craft holy burst, you should be able to make at least evil outsider bane.

Holy of bleed on a silver weapon should work against him. Bleed is really easy to craft and holy isn't all that high up either.

Community Member

I can do holy burst, but dont have all the ingredients for evil outsider bane. I can't seem to ever get purified eberron dragonshard fragments. Any suggestions on how to get the dang things? Those and the demons blood?

I can do holy burst, but dont have all the ingredients for evil outsider bane. I can't seem to ever get purified eberron dragonshard fragments. Any suggestions on how to get the dang things? Those and the demons blood?
    A few sources for purified Eberon shards
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Purified_Ebe...shard_Fragment

Demons blood is a harder to get rare Amarath drop item also drops in EDA.. not bound so can be found in the AH or Trade channels.

Just make Evil Outsider Bane (not greater). You can get away with Lawful instead although you then won't be able to use this weapon on Hezrous and some other targets.

As for PEDFs - buy +1 tomes from the AH (15k PP on Khyber) and trade them to Courtney d'Cannith in the craft hall for 4 PEDFs. The Demon's Blood will not be cheap, however.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    Individual metals like silver, cold Iron, flametouched are inate metal types these remain a part of the weapon even if it is disjuncted (cleansed of prefix/suffix)

Metalline is a prefix, so in some cases it may be less desirable as it could be filled with a damage prefix.

For instance if you had
    -Silver Holy Burst of Greater Evil Outsider Bane (Holy=good bypass).. great Devil Boss beater,
    -Metalline of Greater Evil outsider bane (would not break Good DR)
    -Metalline of Pure Good would work against Boss Devils(Silver+good) and Boss Demons (Cold Iron+Good), or any other metal+good type DR like LOB (Adamanitne+Good)

Generally the more focussed weapons will do better damage to specific mobs.
    Crafting makes this more viable to build specific mob weapons
    Metalline Flametouched Iron of Greater Evil outsider bane is a nice consolidator for TWF.

Note that I wouldn't craft any greater banes on regular weapons, but instead hold out for epic 2[w] weapons to use. On regular weapons I just do holy of bane. If you take this approach, epic flametouched iron khopeshes are generally cheaper and easier to get than silver ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Just make Evil Outsider Bane (not greater). You can get away with Lawful instead although you then won't be able to use this weapon on Hezrous and some other targets.

As for PEDFs - buy +1 tomes from the AH (15k PP on Khyber) and trade them to Courtney d'Cannith in the craft hall for 4 PEDFs. The Demon's Blood will not be cheap, however.
    Must be nice; on argo +1 tomes have gone up to 40k and stayed there for weeks. It's gotten to the point where I'm considering using epic tokens to get my purifieds, swapping 1 to 1.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Those purified eberron shards are BtoA so can be traded through shared bank.. if you already have +2 tomes on all the stats you want, you can trade in the free (BtoC) ones you get for 1750 favour from Nyx
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Never had a problem with the purified shards. When the option to trade tomes in came up, I emptied a mule of all +1 tomes (except a couple of +int, since those are the only ones where level used is important) and a set of +2s. Now I don't even bother selling any tomes I loot, they immediately go into the wood chipper. Sitting on ~300 purified shards.

Oh, and for the purple numbers on Arretriekos: Most likely what you are seeing is the Holy or Pure Good effect on your weapon being boosted by Harry getting Light/Alignment vulnerability from a Favored Soul. That will turn Holy damage purple.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Now I don't even bother selling any tomes I loot, they immediately go into the wood chipper.
    Depending on the current selling prices, I throw a +2 onto the AH and use the resulting platinum to buy +1s.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post

The best source that I've managed to find for Demon's Blood is, I believe, a Shroud end reward. In fact, virtually all of my boots mats have thus far come from the Shroud end rewards.

Sad because I've run Amrath quite a bit on elite and didn't receive squat.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

As far as purified shards, I've seen them more and more as lootgen items, and not all at high levels.

If my memory serves me correctly, I've also gotten one or two from collectable drops and breakables. So, I suggest hitting every collectable and busting every barrel you can.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast