Default Vault of Night - Arach's Knight

I've run VoN 5 at level on elite probably more than a dozen times. Three of those times the end fight drug on for a long time and eventually wiped. However, by stark contrast, the majority of times I've run the raid the end boss of part 5 dropped so fast if you blinked you'd literally miss it.

I'm not sure what gives. One of the failed raids I was in was quite a long time and was lead by someone else. There wasn't a healer and I was on a sorc wand healing and rezzing people with scrolls. The end fight went on for well over 20 minutes until finally it was mutually concluded that we just didn't have whatever it took to take him down.

The last 2 wipes were this week, with me leading the raid. In one we got to the end fight without much trouble, but it turns out none of the melee had adamantine weapons and the arty didn't have that spell. Soon as we wiped we went right back in, and the arty picked up adamantine weapons. I also was way more conservative with my mana getting to the end fight and I was able to get off several disintegrates, but in between casts I could definitely see the adamantine seemed to be doing the trick. Boss was dead in about 1 minute.

So last night I'm leading another raid in there. I'm on this really dumb experimental toon I'd made a long time ago and haven't deleted because it comes in handy from time to time running with guildies. It's a 2 rogue 9 wizard, with insightful reflexes and a trap save of about 30, which interestingly enough isn't even close to being able to always evade the traps in the lightning hall.

Considering what I know from the past, I made sure most of the melee had adamantine before we got going. We get to the end boss, I figure it's going to go smoothly because the melee have DR breakers, but it doesn't go smoothly at all. I never saw the boss's HP drop below 95%. The only time it even dropped at all was when 4 or 5 melee got him cornered and beat on him for like 20 seconds uninterrupted, but then dogs came and it went pair shaped and the rest of the fight nobody could hurt him as fast as he was able to regen, let alone take him down.

I felt really bad about that raid, it was a fun group of people, and I feel like as their raid leader I let them down. Several people wanted to go back in when it was all over, but it was real late and I was far too tired, plus I was absolutely frustrated with my horrible rogue/wiz. I said look out tomorrow night and I'll try to host it again. They said they had fun, and I totally did too, but it would have obviously been a lot more fun if the boss had died.

So I'm here asking if someone knows a good strategy for the end fight. The wiki and several guides I found online pretty much say use adamantine weapons, sonic resists, ignore the dogs, and kill him. That does seem to usually work, however, 3 times now that strategy was a complete failure.

We tried killing the dogs, but they seem to come right back within a few seconds.

We tried kiting the dogs, but that was an after thought, so we weren't prepared or organized about it. The kiter had trouble getting all the dogs, and usually died pretty fast anyway.

Any tips are most appreciated. I've never run the raid on a melee toon, I'm going to try to get one in there to see first hand how it works.

kite with bb, no elemental damage on boss, that heals him(if the dog from the element is dead then you'll see immune, if it's alive u will heal him)

the trouble was ppl with elemental damage, smiting weapons, doesn't matter if it's a +1, with smiting and adamantine is pretty fast, only force spells on boss
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    kite with bb, no elemental damage on boss, that heals him(if the dog from the element is dead then you'll see immune, if it's alive u will heal him)

the trouble was ppl with elemental damage, smiting weapons, doesn't matter if it's a +1, with smiting and adamantine is pretty fast, only force spells on boss
    This - non-elemental weapons is actually more important than adamantine (IMO). And force spells is not quite right since on my Arti lucid dreams does nothing. Not sure if MM/Force Missles works but for sure no force from Lucid dreams. If you meant force affected spells (Blade Barrier and Disintegrate) then yes but not pure force.
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Sorc TR7 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/8 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 TR2 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

Community Member Dozen_Black_Roses's Avatar

More of the problem I have seen is from people having other sources of elemental damage. Most people will remember to not use elemental weapons, or will remember when prompted to use their adamantine or construct bane weapons. However, they forget about other common sources such as shocking blow from charged gauntlets or the greater bold trinket. There are many items with elemental guards on them. The dogs have special attacks as well, so on elite you want to keep them away from the group and/or kill them right away, and then work on the knight before he respawns. The best strategy is to have someone with blade barrier kite the dogs while the rest of the group goes to town on the knight. As for casters, disintegrate is the spell of choice.
    Shogyo Mujo (Nothing lasts forever and everything must change).
    @>---Fuhgly, Suzee, Blohnde, Shakkei, Redhawt, Sanctified, Punkrawk, Gaelsong, Deviliscious, Liethal----<@

Yep just get all the melees to run around with a non epic antique great axe and your golden lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonwelder View Post
    This - non-elemental weapons is actually more important than adamantine (IMO). And force spells is not quite right since on my Arti lucid dreams does nothing. Not sure if MM/Force Missles works but for sure no force from Lucid dreams. If you meant force affected spells (Blade Barrier and Disintegrate) then yes but not pure force.
    iirc force missiles deal damage, cause are pur force based spells, like disintegrate (cause it's pure force based) deal damage

blade barrier or cometfall have 2 components, for example cometfall deals damage, but less than half cause it's something like 50% fire 50% bludgeoning

since bb has 2 physical damage components (slashing and untyped/force) is the safest spell to use

dunno about lucid dreams sorry, haven't reached the arti lives yet XD
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

I thought Elemental weapons did not matter anymore?

Now I am confused.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    I thought Elemental weapons did not matter anymore?

Now I am confused.
    I didn't notice last time at level but on EPIC elemental did nothing but say immune, no healing, nothing.

Edit: How I know is my repeater on my Arti was an acid smiter, now it's some holy smiter, but the acid did not heal like it used to, it just said immune. I found this out purely by accident as the repeater was perfectly fine for the WF in there and I forgot to swap out.
    Last edited by Sonos; 01-08-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    I didn't notice last time at level but on EPIC elemental did nothing but say immune, no healing, nothing.

Edit: How I know is my repeater on my Arti was an acid smiter, now it's some holy smiter, but the acid did not heal like it used to, it just said immune. I found this out purely by accident as the repeater was perfectly fine for the WF in there and I forgot to swap out.
    Ok that is what I thought but old habits die hard.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Community Member

I must object, I am pretty confident that he is immune to force. Disintegrate is your friend. It is imperative that the dogs be kept away from the boss, as their attacks heal him, and you must ensure no one is using elemental weapons/spells against him. Melee, disintegrate, and keep dogs away.

I am not familiar with the rumor that elemental weapons no longer heal the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post

However, just for clarification did you kill the dogs outright? or was someone kiting them?

Usually an At Level Elite run does not have enough DPS to bring down the dogs and then kill the Arach's Knight and usually opt to kite vs kill.

On Epic I see the Immune also but that's because the dogs are dead and we are between spawns.