Default Nightshield or Shield?

Is it better to have the +[1-3] saves from the Nightshield spell or the +4 shield AC from the Shield spell? Does the recommendation change depending on class and/or level? I'm definitely interested in a holistic answer, but if you want to limit your typing my character is a lvl 22 pure mage. ; )
    FYI, when I summon an earth elemental, it's not a "he," it's a "she." And her name is Pebbles.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

The save bonus is listed as resistance so it shouldn't stack with any resistance item you may already have. (I have not actually checked to see if this is true)

Community Member

Nightshield
    the resistance bonus is bugged and the reflex stacks but not the fort/will.
    Anyway reflex is the most valuable save so Nightshield any time.

If you wear Armor you might want also to cast Shield
    but as pure Caster movement is way better for your defense then 4ac that will not bring your ac to an acceptable number.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Community Member

It really depends on what else you have available. For example, my level 24 sorc runs with the shield light and darkness from IQ if I need to shield block for anything, so the shield spell would be fairly useless to me. On the other hand, if you have a resistance item you use then nightshield would be fairly useless. Under the event you have both a shield and a resistance item, then it doesn't matter which spell you use, if either.

On my caster I use shield during low levels when you can get your AC to matter. I swap it for nightshield once my AC doesn't matter any more since the reflex stacks with other resistance items (bugged).
    Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    I knew i should have actually tested this.

- Deathspell [Human 20FvS - Heroic Completionist + 2Clr, 2FvS, 2Ftr, 2Pal, 2Src, 2Wiz - 1Fortification] -
    - Xavena [Bladeforged 15Wiz/3FvS/2Mnk - 2Src, 1Wiz - 1ArcaneAlacrity, 3Brace, 3Colors, 1EnergyCriticals] -
    - Zavan [Morninglord 20Wiz - 1Brd, 3FvS, 3Wiz - 1Brace] -
    - Zavvan [PDK 18Pal/1Ftr/1FvS - Triple Heroic Completionist - Epic Completionist (3: Brace, Life&Death, All Martial, Colors, Enchant) - 2Bladeforged, 2PDK] -

~ A Tribe Called Zerg ~ Cannith ~

~ Zav on DDO wiki ~

Community Member

I like, in general, using Nightshield because it frees up an item slot which would otherwise be used with a resistance item...at least until I find a +5 or better resistance item.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Another plus for Nighshield at least during the lower levels is the fact it blocks magic missile from those pesky kobolds, sahaugin, and arcane skellies

Saal

although for some strange reason it will not defend against force missiles that I am aware of.
    Last edited by Saaluta; 01-05-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

Quote Originally Posted by Saaluta View Post
    Another plus for Nighshield at least during the lower levels is the fact it blocks magic missile from those pesky kobolds, sahaugin, and arcane skellies

Saal

although for some strange reason it will not defend against force missiles that I am aware of.
    shield also blocks those things.

and usually, shield/nightshield will block missiles just fine, but has problems with chain missiles... it will block the main hit, but if it scatters from another target, goes right through.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMC895610 View Post
    On my caster I use shield during low levels when you can get your AC to matter. I swap it for nightshield once my AC doesn't matter any more since the reflex stacks with other resistance items (bugged).
    I second this ^
    I usually switch out around lvl 8 if that matters to you at all.

Now if Nightshield stacked with Items I would argue Nightshield 1-25, but then it would be a pretty powerful lvl 1 spell

Nightshield, as someone said, it is currently stacking for reflex saves, making it better than shield in almost any situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MRMechMan View Post
    Nightshield, as someone said, it is currently stacking for reflex saves, making it better than shield in almost any situation.
    ^This

However, if both spells are working as intended, Nightshield is the same bonus type as "resistance" items. So, if you have permanently slotted a resistance +3 item or better, it will give you no extra bonus.

The main reason to use the spell is mostly to block Magic Missiles anyway. The secondary bonus is jut the cherry on top. Just use the one that cover what is lacking on your gearset.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

If you are talking about which one to slot on a wiz, nightshield.

Reason: shield is easily available on clickies and wands if you want it, nightshield not so common.

ps, shield clickies are awesome.

Community Member pokeoutyoureardrums's Avatar
    In my own little existence, they like me here.

I always cast both just to be sure. And according to my buff bar they both linger together. I 've nothing better to do with those slots anyway =)
    THREAD KILLER
    A truly intelligent person can understand the simplicity of a joke

One lie is all it takes to undo a man
    "I am telling you, the word chicken does not have a 2 in it."

Community Member pokeoutyoureardrums's Avatar
    In my own little existence, they like me here.

Of course my build is as rare as a 14 legged, firebreathing chihuahua
    THREAD KILLER
    A truly intelligent person can understand the simplicity of a joke

One lie is all it takes to undo a man
    "I am telling you, the word chicken does not have a 2 in it."

Nightshield every time for me, those magic missiles hurt at high levels a lot so being immune to them is a big deal (for me anyway).

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    If you are talking about which one to slot on a wiz, nightshield.

Reason: shield is easily available on clickies and wands if you want it, nightshield not so common.

ps, shield clickies are awesome.
    Here's the real reason. Both are good, but shield is just so easy to get on a clickie.
    Build a man a fire and he is warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    Nightshield every time for me, those magic missiles hurt at high levels a lot so being immune to them is a big deal (for me anyway).

Stoner81.
    Shield also protects against MM.
    Devourer ate my characters.