Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Lesser Reincarnation + Race Change

I think DDO needs to add the posibility for a race-change. The easiest way to do this would be bundled with a lesser Reincarnation.

Probably the best thing about DDO is the way every single mistake is correctable:

*Found out you spent your Enhancement points all wrong? Reset!

*Messed up yur build? Lesser reincarnate!

*Bought/Unlocked 32-point builds but playing on a 28? Greater Reincarnate!!

*Tried multi-classing and screwed it right on up? +# Hearts of Wood and Reincarnate!!!

Every single mistake you make can be fixed... except for race. If you aren't happy with the race you chose, tough. Delete the character.

Race is the last problem that can't be fixed by throwing lots of money at it.

I would buy one, maybe two, even if it was 50% more than the normal Lesser Wood

Community Member

See I have an account where I started a human wizard and applied a Greater Tome of Learning, then bought the Warforged race. Can't change my poor human into a robot, even though I want a warforged wizard. With all the various things like BTC equipment and tomes that can't be transfered a race change would be very valuable.

I would buy one
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

My answer is the same everytime this suggestion pops up.

/signed

Take my money Turbine!! Please!

Community Member OverlordOfRats's Avatar

I'll add in my "Please let us have this?".

while this is something i would never use, i will go ahead and sign it.

for me - i would go tr first rather then lr.

just my 2 cents

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

I do not support this suggestion. TR allows for a racial change. Rerolling allows for a racial change. I don't feel LR should allow such a major change. Species is even more central to a individual's identity than occupation (race vs class) and the latter can be changed only in small increments.

On a marginally related note, I know a player who loves playing sorcerer, but not wizard. He wished to TR, but wanted the wizard past life. His solution? Cap the character at lvl 25, then start LR multiple times, until he had 11 wizard levels. While he took advantage of an "exploit" related to LR, the hearts of wood were certainly costly.
    Someone got it wrong. Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition because they were required to give 30 days notice, by law.
    I can be found on Orien. My more active toons are Cilon, Solstone in Your Pack, and sometimes Acroyer.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSpacePony View Post
    I do not support this suggestion. TR allows for a racial change. Rerolling allows for a racial change. I don't feel LR should allow such a major change. Species is even more central to a individual's identity than occupation (race vs class) and the latter can be changed only in small increments.
    I am on the fence about this suggestion because of similar reasoning. From a strictly in-world view, lesser reincarnation is more like an intense session with Fred. He can muck about in a character's head all day long but not change race. That it is done through the mechanics of a reincarnation has more to do with consolidation of code and resources.

I could side with the "yes" votes provided the mechanism was offered through a type of Greater Reincarnation as such provides for a physical as well as mental state change. Additionally, I'd like to see something similar for reassigning gender.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    See I have an account where I started a human wizard and applied a Greater Tome of Learning, then bought the Warforged race. Can't change my poor human into a robot, even though I want a warforged wizard. With all the various things like BTC equipment and tomes that can't be transfered a race change would be very valuable.
    Sorry, but just level your human up and then TR into a Warforged. Wizard past lives on wizards are probably the best bang for the buck going.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member

As someone who once built a drow cleric thinking drow got a +2 wis, and played to level 14 before realizing otherwise, I wholeheartedly support this. That character is still sitting at level 14 after playing 3 characters to 20, and TRing 2 of them back to 20 or higher again. Once in a rare while I dust her off, try to upgrade her gear a little, then play her only to realize what a gimp she is and shelve her for another 6 months. My WF fighter had issues, but was at least playable to 20 so I could TR into another race.

/signed

and another /signed to letting you change sex

My WF wants a sex change. Now. USB "plug and play" compatible?
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

/signed and /signed

/signed...

But wouldn't removing Drow from the game make this unnecessary?
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Community Member

Personally, I think there should be 3 different greater hearts of wood.

-1 for changing from 28 to 32 point build (the current one)
    -1 for changing race
    -1 for changing sex

I will probably get a lot of insults for what I am about to say, but I'm going to anyway. I started playing ddo a while ago, and one of my oldest and most powerful characters is male. Over my lifetime, I have dealt with stuff that made me recognize that I am a transgender individual. That is, I hate being male (my assigned gender at birth), I wish I could have a female body and be treated as a "normal" female would, and do feminine things, and am often very depressed about it. One of the ways I deal with this is playing ddo, as it lets me imagine myself as the female drow artificer, or my female half elf cleric monkcher. Now I almost never play my oldest, strongest, what used to be my favorite character simply because it is male. If I log on to it, it is to play a raid, or do a single quest, because after that one quest, I don't want to look at my character anymore.

Honestly, If it was a VIP benefit, I would buy VIP for at least a month just do change my one character.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    /signed...

But wouldn't removing Drow from the game make this unnecessary?
    Hey, some of us quite like our drow. One of the two characters I consider my main (I have a main melee and a main caster) is a drow wizard...the drow hate needs to stop. :/
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

You can change it with true reincarnate, you don't even need to cap your toon to do it, just run it to level 20.
    /sarcasm

In all seriousness I'm not sure this is that big of an issue where limited resources should be used on it. If they can do it with at most 3 hours of coding time then signed, if it takes more than that tiny amount then /not signed.

Community Member

From a pure mechanical point of view, this idea sounds really nice. However, within the realm of the actual game, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Lesser reincarnation serves as a means to allow you to retrain yourself, but it doesn't allow for such fundamental changes to the core of the character. Greater reincarnation is the same as lesser, but it affords more builds points if your character was a 28 pt build. True reincarnation does allow for the racial change, but the reason why is because the character you TR "dies" and is reborn as a new character with a bit mroe power from their "past life".

From a meta-game, pure mechanical perspective, /signed.

From an in-game, lore perspective, /not signed.

Ultimately, this is something that I would never use, so whether or not it is implemented doesn't really affect me at all. That said, I will support the idea for those who want, since it has no real negative impact on me.

Level up as a WF sorc and then LR in a Human... /signed!!!
    ALL HAIL TO ITS SQUISHY-MAJESTY SIR KNORR, LORD OF OOZES AND MASTER OF SLIME
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=386688

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Sorry, but just level your human up and then TR into a Warforged. Wizard past lives on wizards are probably the best bang for the buck going.
    I'm sorry not all us have as much time to play DDO as you and don't want to waste the precious little time we do have leveling a character we hate, there's no reason to not add race and for that matter sex change to the DDO Store.

/Signed to both
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast