Community Member

Default green steel... sooo confused

I just crafted my green steel khopesh for my two weapon fighter. Green steel seems to be all the rage in DDO, but I can't figure out what the heck to do with it? I don't get what to do with it? The wiki is horrible at explaining what is so special about them.The lit2 khopesh seems cool, but I can't figure out what I would need to do to create it. I've looked at green steel crafting planners, but they also don't make a lick of sense as to how I would craft a lit2 khopesh.
    So any help at explaining this green steel stuff would be greatly appreciated. Don't bother linking to wiki, or crafting planners, cause none of it makes any sense to me.

Also, I see that the min level to use the khopesh alone is 12. Will that go up as I add effects to it? I'd like to craft a nice one for my TR's toon which will be a rogue.

The sweet thing about GS weapons is that they are always ML12. Otherwise, you can and will find much better. As far as making them, the new altars make it much easier. The best guides are the GS planners they will show you the materials you need and the components you need to craft it. But, it's much easier if you know someone in game who can hold you hand and give you the extra materials you may need. If you are on Thelanis send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndrome View Post
    The sweet thing about GS weapons is that they are always ML12. Otherwise, you can and will find much better. As far as making them, the new altars make it much easier. The best guides are the GS planners they will show you the materials you need and the components you need to craft it. But, it's much easier if you know someone in game who can hold you hand and give you the extra materials you may need. If you are on Thelanis send me a PM.
    This.

I can walk you through it too if on Thelanis as well. Damn we are nice...butterflies for all.
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Community Member

Very nice! I am on thelanis! I'm named Phiver. Ill look either of you up! The only problem is that I have very little money to offer anyone for materials of for the lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    Very nice! I am on thelanis! I'm named Phiver. Ill look either of you up! The only problem is that I have very little money to offer anyone for materials of for the lesson.
    Lessons are free. Probably have some smalls and medium ings too. Larges? Get Shrouding...! You will also need shards of power, great power and supreme power from the Shroud. If you run it, let folks know you are new and looking for them.
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

I am TRing my wizard Wfplatt for the next few days (though I am done for today)- send me a tell anytime I am on. PM me here if you are going to be on at a particular time- Likewise lessons are free, but you are going to have to Shroud for your 4 shards (bound to character) I can help you with this if you have not and are apprehensive, and I can help you get any of the nonbound ingredients.

Community Member

Cool. Thanks guys! Ill give an update soon after I shroud a few times.

Community Member

You are right...it is a cumbersome process.

Just to hit a few high points:

Get thee Shrouding! It is the easiest way to get large quantities of materials per run. The bad news is that, unless you acquire Raid Bypass Timers (from other players or the DDO store), you can run it only once every three days. If memory serves, Devil's Assault (Marketplace) and various Amrath quests also can drop ingredients and you can run those as often as you want to (solo) or can find a group.

You can also check out the Auction House for all the various ingredients that you need, with one exception: Shards of Power. They are Bind to Character on Acquire, so can only be traded in chests. You'll need at least three shards (one regular, one great, one supreme) to make your GS item- though, if you're going to go for a Lit2, you'll need two supreme). As was said above: let others know that you're working on GS and that you need shards. Chances are pretty good that, at worst, you'll have to roll a d/100 against those others who need them or, at best, you'll get them passed right to you.

I understand that the crafting sites didn't make much sense to you- they didn't to me either early on. However, once you begin to understand the process, they are invaluable, as they tell you exactly what to combine each step along the way in order to imbue your shards- and, by extension, your weapon or item- with exactly the enhancements you're looking for. Ingredients are expensive, and you don't want to waste them! The best site I've seen is:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...roud/index.php

Fail to plan = plan to fail. You can use that site to look through the various combinations of what you can and cannot place on a given item without risking actual virtual ingredients. It seems daunting right now, believe you me I know, but it does get clearer the more you play with the planner.

Best of luck with the process!
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

I just realized you were in Ritual Sacrifice with me earlier... I was on Arbix. Give me a shout. Good advice above re: the Montreal planner...

This is the most common form of the Lit II khopesh. Holy/Shock/Shock.

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...htning_strike_

Slightly less common is the Shock/Good/Shock version, here:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...trike_&altar=3

The difference is that the first one will do an extra 1d6 damage to evil monsters, and the second will do an extra 1d6 to neutral monsters (who are a significant minority of opponents).

With the new barter window, it's easier to not mess up, but you still need to know what you are doing. The dual shard at Tier3 continues to screw people up no matter how clear it is made in any planner.

When you are making the Tier3 effect, combine the SHOCK shard with the GOOD shard to create a LIGHTNING shard, and put -that- on your khopesh.

If you don't combine them first, then you will not get the tier3 special effect (Lightning Strike), and there is no way to fix it once it is done unless you want to spend a Yellow Dopant on it and completely re-make the entire weapon.

I can't even count the number of posts I've seen where someone added one shard and then wanted to know how to add the second. You can't. You add the shards together first.

Really cannot stress that enough.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

The web page seems good.

I too am just starting my journey of GS. On argo...

Am i able to craft anything in GS? Meaning can i have everything GS with different effects or can i only do it once?
    At minimum i want 2 bastard swords, it this possible?

And how much farming do you need to be able to actually craft one of these?
    "Eye of the Dragon" on Argonessen. "Quest with the best"

To get all the materials to finish a 2 shard item (like lightning, conc-op, mineral, etc) should take you around 15-20 runs of Shroud to get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingwei View Post
    To get all the materials to finish a 2 shard item (like lightning, conc-op, mineral, etc) should take you around 15-20 runs of Shroud to get done.
    So basically at the end you are JUST farming cause there is no xp given?
    "Eye of the Dragon" on Argonessen. "Quest with the best"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue100000005 View Post
    The web page seems good.

Am i able to craft anything in GS? Meaning can i have everything GS with different effects or can i only do it once?

You can make as many greensteel weapons as you like. You can dual wield them without problems. Each greensteel weapon or item can be upgraded three times: once on each altar. Multiple greensteel items (not weapons) can be worn only if the additional items are cleansed first.

The combination of effects can open an additional bonus effect. For example a positive shard on each tier gives you greater disruption on a weapon (aka triple positive) and triple earth gives you earth grab guard on an item.

The more powerful tier 3 recipes require a dual shard, ie. you make two tier three shards and combine them into one. Only one of the tier 3 effects remains but you get a powerful bonus effect. Tihocan's planner (umontreal) shows the dual shard effects in bold.
    Don't feed the trolls.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

So basically at the end you are JUST farming cause there is no xp given?
    Yes, Shroud is mostly farmed for large ingredients. At level runs are not so common. Because it is still the most farmed raid, people are anxious to run it quickly and cleanly. Shroud runs are the DDO equivalent of grocery shopping.

My uber-art greensteel explanation, with D&D cosmology:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=262654
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

The web page seems good.

Weapon-wise, yes you can dual-wield weapons with no drawbacks.

Items, on the other hand, can only be worn one at a time. Equipping a second one results in you taking damage every few seconds until you die (even, I think, if you take off one or both of the items). Eventually, you can use an Essence of Cleansing that will remove the negative taint from one of the items, allowing you to wear more than one piece of GS equipment. The bad news is that the Essence shows up only on your 20th run end rewards list and on the end reward list of multiples of 20 runs (40th, 60th, etc.) thereafter. I cannot recall ever seeing one offered at any other time.

As to number of runs....I'd agree that you're looking at something like 20 runs minimum, though much depends on the generosity of the players you run with. If you can get them to pass you their unneeded Shards of Power (and possibly other ingredients as well), it'll go MUCH faster.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    Shroud runs are the DDO equivalent of grocery shopping.
    LOL, I had a good laugh from this. Just last week, I came back from the store, starting playing DDO, and made a list of what Shroud ingreds I was running low on. "Ok, I need a few more Large Stones, Devil Scales, some Med Arrows, etc."

Default Damage minority report....

[QUOTE=Matuse;4836676]This is the most common form of the Lit II khopesh. Holy/Shock/Shock.

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...htning_strike_

Slightly less common is the Shock/Good/Shock version, here:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...trike_&altar=3

The difference is that the first one will do an extra 1d6 damage to evil monsters, and the second will do an extra 1d6 to neutral monsters (who are a significant minority

....to clarify-ish:
    (2-12)Damage types, typically carry a more restrictive target range ie. axiomatic=chaotic, anarchic=lawful, holy=evil than (1-6)damage types Pure Good=any mob Not Good, Chaos=any mob Not Chaotic, Law=any mob not Lawful. With the fairly recent additions of Absolute Chaos, Absolute Law to the loot tables we have our 2-12s but at an increase in level cost. Vicious is 2-12 is universal but at the cost of some public self-mutilation.