Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Storylines: Adventure Packs: confusion

At the moment I am playing in two very low level groups. The first is ‘my whole family,’ and the second is just ‘my wife and I.’ Adventure packs have me confused. In the old D&D days, we used to buy things called modules which appeared to be like adventure packs. The idea was that you didn’t have to go and create the adventure for the players; all the storyline and monsters were already laid out for you in the module. I am assuming that this is how the ‘adventure packs’ also work? The thing I can’t figure out is. There appears to be a ‘free to play’ adventure line, up to level 4 starting:
    “The storehouse’s secret” at level 1 and ending at “The bookbinder rescue at level 4.” Then there are ‘challenges’ that appear to be from patrons? From “lava caves: circles of power” at level 4 and ending somewhere around “Dr Rusmore’s Mansion” at level 25. I can’t work out where the ‘adventure packs’ fit in. Looking at the D&D online store, there appear to be adventures starting from “catacombs” at level 4 and ending at “Devils of Shavarath” at level 20! So, can anybody give me any suggestions please on the cheapest way to send each of my two parties down separate ‘story-lines?’ Does everybody in the party have to buy the adventure pack; or does the group leader only have to purchase it?

each member must own the adventure pack to enter a pay to play quest of any kind.
    unless you intend to give each member a guest pass for a few hours after you bought it.
    there are 2 routes each player can take for gaining access to pay to play areas.
    1) VIP 30 day monthly subscriptions its 15$ and you can play anything for the month.
    2) premium route where each pack you buy you own for life generally 60$ will buy you everything you need to reach 20 or greater.
    Side note you could just play the free to play route as well but that route will put you at a leveling stand still around lvl12-13 where there is not enough quests to level up from.
    Last edited by brickwall; 01-02-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Community Member

adventure packs are groups of quests that you can buy out of the DDO store. In order to access a quest out of an adventure pack, you have to have purchased the adventure pack yourself or have someone who owns it buy you a guest pass out of the store. Most of the adventure packs are stand alone story lines, though some do overlap a bit. Not all quests are related to each other, including the low level ones you talked about. The quests on Korthos island are all one story, ending with the quest misery's peak. Most of the quests in the harbor are stand alone. The bookbinder rescue is part of the sharn syndicate chain, which is a six part chain. You aren't going to find much in the way of overarching story like you would in P&P, though it is there if you look hard enough.

re: storylines and modules

There are a couple of over-arching storylines that cover multiple adventure packs. The big ones are:
    The Devil Invasion: Devil's Assault, Vale of Twilight, Devils of Shavarath
    The Stormreaver Prophesy: (teased in Repossession, in the Sharn Syndicate "module"), Vault of Night, Gianthold Tor, Reaver's Refuge, Inspired Quarter, Dreaming Dark
    The Quori invasion: (teased in Misery's Peak) Twilight Forge (Restless Isles), Gianthold Tor, Inspired Quarter, Dreaming Dark, Master Artificer/Lord of Blades
    The Dark Ascension: Necropolis I-IV

Most adventure packs are you would more traditionally call modules, for example:
    The Sharn Syndicate: Low-level, dealing with criminals, not existential threats to the world
    Menechtarum Desert: Mid-level, all desert themed, a lot of "walk-up" side quests, plus a 4-quest series leading up to a fight with the Demon Queen (with epic versions of the storyline quests)
    Three-Barrel Cove: Pirate themed adventures
    The Sentinels of Stormreach: low-level House Denieth module (with epic versions)
    Phiarlain Carnival: low-level House Phiarlain module (with epic versions)
    Tangleroot Gorge: Low level module all about fighting hobgoblins
    Ruins of Therenal: Low-mid level module ending with one of the most hated quests in the game.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by brickwall View Post
    each member must own the adventure pack to enter a pay to play quest of any kind.
    unless you intend to give each member a guest pass for a few hours after you bought it.
    there are 2 routes each player can take for gaining access to pay to play areas.
    1) VIP 30 day monthly subscriptions its 15$ and you can play anything for the month.
    2) premium route where each pack you buy you own for life generally 60$ will buy you everything you need to reach 20 or greater.
    Side note you could just play the free to play route as well but that route will put you at a leveling stand still around lvl12-13 where there is not enough quests to level up from.
    VIP would still have to buy the expansion pack to play that.

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    VIP would still have to buy the expansion pack to play that.
    yep VIP is defiantly not a bargain if you intend to play for more then 4 months.
    if you have any intention of hanging around ddo i suggest premium but vip might be a nice way to take a good test drive.

Community Member

unless you intend to give each member a guest pass for a few hours after you bought it. there are 2 routes each player can take for gaining access to pay to play areas.
    1) VIP 30 day monthly subscriptions...
    2) premium route where each pack you buy...
    Option 1 is not much good, as the reason I play 'free to play,' is because we don't get to play any where near as often as I'd like.
    each member must own the adventure pack...
    O.K., so, the cheapest initial route would probably be to buy a low level adventure pack for my wife and I now, and let the whole family continue down the 'free to to play path' Since I would only need to buy 2 modules instead of 4 (for family). When can you deviate from Korthos Island? Can you do that as soon as you buy a pack?

Quote Originally Posted by togbabe View Post
    Option 1 is not much good, as the reason I play 'free to play,' is because we don't get to play any where near as often as I'd like.
    O.K., so, the cheapest initial route would probably be to buy a low level adventure pack for my wife and I now, and let the whole family continue down the 'free to to play path' Since I would only need to buy 2 modules instead of 4 (for family). When can you deviate from Korthos Island? Can you do that as soon as you buy a pack?
    you can leave korthos any time you wish and move in to the harbor it is possible to level up 1-8 in the harbor. a large portion of the harbor and market place quests are free there are also some in the great houses of stormreach. any free to play account can reach about lvl13 with out spending a dime and if you do the 100 favor on every server you could then pick up a couple packs to span your way to 20 but it is a long hard road its very limited you will run each quest over 10 times. i personally have a 19 step system i use to hit lvl 20 in 40-60 hours of play. bear in mind i am not a normal player i am what would be called a power gamer many players take months even years to reach lvl20.

List Of Most Important Packs Must Have's I Feel Any Other Packs Are Fluff.

Necropolis 1-4 1495 TP
    Attack on Stormreach 450 TP
    Delera's Tomb 850 TP
    The Vault of Night 750 TP
    The Vale of Twilight 850 TP
    The Reaver's Reach 250 TP
    The Path of Inspiration 350 TP
    The Demon Sands 950 TP
    The Ruins of Gianthold 950 TP
    The Dreaming Dark 350 TP
    Total 7245 TP
    Cost Chart
    DDO Store Sales
    DDO Market Suggest buying MOTU First To Save Later Standard Expansion Is Best Deal
    Last edited by brickwall; 01-02-2013 at 03:59 AM.

You can easily reach level 12ish without buying anything. Beyond that, you end up grinding the same few quests until your repeat penalties kill the XP and it's not fun.

But if you do get that far, you've probably earned enough Turbine Points to buy a pack or two. To keep enjoying the game, you'll probably at the very least want to get Gianthold and the Vale of Twilight.

At low levels, I find the Sharn Syndicate to be a good pack for XP, favor to earn more bag space and bound to account gear that is really nice for low level toons.

Welcome and have fun!
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

It looks like you are looking at the adventurer compendium patron list as a level 1 charater. It will show you all of the available quests around a certain level range (1 - 4 in your case) and expand that list as you level up. Further, it will, quite unfortunately, not distinguish between P2P and F2P quests. The storehouse secret is F2P, but the bookbinder rescue is not.

Some of the time, when you are in a chain there are individual quest givers and story arc quest givers. So, for example in the Sharn Syndicate there is an individual quest giver for the bookbinder rescue (guy crying outside his house) and an overall story arc giver, I think lord amateau near the entrance to the marketplace.

While the in-game references can be helpful, as you have no doubt noticed they are far from comprehensive or fully distinct. The quest journal system can help you identify quest chains once you haved picked one up, but in addition to this thread I would suggest looking up adventure packs in the ddo wiki (google it) for a better organization.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

yep VIP is defiantly not a bargain if you intend to play for more then 4 months.
    I still advertise everyone that want to spend money on the game, to sign up for VIP one month first.

Reason? You open all adventure packs (so, you have a chance to experiment a lot of them, and buy later from your own experience), you get new classes/races to try out (monk, druid, warforged, helf, horc), you get 10 character slots (for altholics), and you still get 500 TP on top of this (~$5) that allow you to buy one pack when VIP expires (with the earned favor TP too).

Staying as VIP is only good for players that want to suport the game giving money monthly to Turbine, or chronical altholics that have a ton of first-life alts that can't open elite stuff right off the bat. But that first month is still be best first investiment you can made.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by togbabe View Post

Yeah that seems to be your cheapest option unless/until you become fully addicted do DDO.

Here is the list of quests by adventure pack (modules) sorted by level range

For first time players I recommend the following low level packs:

1. If you enjoy crypts and fighting undead, the Catacombs is a great low level pack with 8 shorter quests and an interesting stand alone story. At level three you can break from the harbor/marketplace F2P quests and begin playing this pack.

2. You'll experience a lot of sewer exploration once you get to the harbor, but if you get through the F2P Waterworks chain and your sewer crawling, kobold slaying bloodlust is still not satiated, then The Seal of Shan-to-Kor is a fun pack. It is a continuation or sequel to Waterworks and you will delve even deeper into the bowels of Stormreach to see what (besides Kobolds) lurks beneath the city. This is also a stand alone pack with 3 medium length quests and one side quest for levels 3-5. This pack, I believe, also introduces you to the 'great story' of Stormreach and it's struggles with the giants.

3. Tangleroot Gorge is a much larger adventure pack for levels 3-7 with a new explorer area. It is a stand alone pack (not part of the great story) which has 10(!) short-medium quests centered on a struggle between two opposing hobgoblin clans. The story is not as interesting as Catacombs, but for a first time player this area is large and there is a lot to explore.

4. Finally The Sharn Syndicate is another stand alone pack with 6 short quests for levels 4-5 that takes place in the marketplace of Stormreach. Veteran players in this thread recommend it for Coin Lord favor which will grant you more backpack slots to carry more things. The story is so-so and the quests themselves are OK, but be aware that a couple of the quests are VERY trap heavy and for new players will probably require a rogue to successfully complete them. It can be completed without a rogue/artificer, but it is a lot more difficult (for new players).

Good luck and have fun!

Community Member

If you aren't playing very often and are very low level at this point, I'd actually hold off buying stuff for now and just do some of the FTP storylines such as:.

Korthos - Includes all level 1 quests plus Misery's Peak
    Baudy Cartamon - Protect Baudy's Interests, Stop Hazadil's Shipment, Retrieve the Stolen Goods (level 2 - can be found in the Wayward Lobster in the Harbor)
    Waterworks - Kobold's Den: Clan Gnashtooth, Kobold's Den: Rescuing Arlos, Venn's Trail: Clan Tunnelworm, and Venn's Trail: Venn's Fate (level 3-4 - Find quest near sewer entrance in Harbor)
    House D's Depths Series - Depths of Doom, Discord, Darkness, Despair (levels 4-5 - House Deneith, Hammersmith Inn)

These will give you more of an "adventure pack" kind of feel and introduce you to the DDO world. Doing some of the individual quests will also introduce you to a wider variety of quests. After that you can make a better decision as to what kind of adventure packs you would like to buy. For instance, if you like Waterworks, you may also like Tangleroot or Shan To Kor. If you find you like undead quests you may want to purchase Delera's. If you like slayer areas, Three Barrel Cove has a great wilderness area to explore. I'm getting the feeling that playing for you is more about the fun of it than necessarily getting to 20 as fast as you can, so its important to get a pack you and your family will like.
    Last edited by smkalinowski; 01-02-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smkalinowski View Post
    If you aren't playing very often and are very low level at this point, I'd actually hold off buying stuff for now and just do some of the FTP storylines such as:.

Korthos - Includes all level 1 quests plus Misery's Peak
    Baudy Cartamon - Protect Baudy's Interests, Stop Hazadil's Shipment, Retrieve the Stolen Goods (level 2 - can be found in the Wayward Lobster in the Harbor)
    Waterworks - Kobold's Den: Clan Gnashtooth, Kobold's Den: Rescuing Arlos, Venn's Trail: Clan Tunnelworm, and Venn's Trail: Venn's Fate (level 3-4 - Find quest near sewer entrance in Harbor)
    House D's Depths Series - Depths of Doom, Discord, Darkness, Despair (levels 4-5 - House Deneith, Hammersmith Inn)

These will give you more of an "adventure pack" kind of feel and introduce you to the DDO world. Doing some of the individual quests will also introduce you to a wider variety of quests. After that you can make a better decision as to what kind of adventure packs you would like to buy. For instance, if you like Waterworks, you may also like Tangleroot or Shan To Kor. If you find you like undead quests you may want to purchase Delera's. If you like slayer areas, Three Barrel Cove has a great wilderness area to explore. I'm getting the feeling that playing for you is more about the fun of it than necessarily getting to 20 as fast as you can, so its important to get a pack you and your family will like.
    This is also good advice. You and your wife could focus on the Baudy Cartamon, Waterworks, and the Depths quests while you and your family could play all the other F2P content which are mostly stand alone quests unrelated to each other.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

You need to understand that DDO has evolved over the years, and not really with the idea of making sure story lines made sense.

Old quests never went away. So we have some relics, like Devil Assault.

The packs didn't exist at first. When DDO went free to play, they came up with the adenture pack idea.

Older quests that were more or less inside Stormreach tended to be free. Newer ones that a quest giver teleported you to, somewhere away from Stormreach tended to be adventure packs you had to pay for.

In some cases these are self contained story line, but that is more by coincidence than originally designed.

Some have virtually no story. Some have a definate story, but it might not fit with newer quests.

For instance. The Market was invaded in a special event. The quest Devil Assault was released as a temporary quest... part of the Market Invasion story.

I cannot remember if this was before or after the Vale/Shroud quests.

But then we discovered the hole in the ground where the old Market tent used to be. We ventured into the Subterrrain and found two quests.... one related to the Devil Invasion. (Visions of Destruction).

Then we went to Shavarath(sp) to prevent a new invasion (pun intended )

If you do not do these in order, they seem to make no sense. and the fact that the quest Deil Assaut is still around doesn't seem to fit.

Then we got the Chronoscope raid.
    A great way to go back in time and relive the Devil Invasion of the Market.... but... it didn't actually happen in quite that way....lol.

Close enough though, and I really like Chronoscope for the nostalgia.

Also... we had out first raid... Tempest Spine. we killed Sorjek.
    Then we had Gianthold. We fought the Stormreaver.

Then comes Reaver's Refuge.

These are tied together, but if you do not do them in order they make little sense.

Some packs have little story at all, or they are not really related to others.

Although Necrolopolis and the Black Abbot's would-be acension seems to have had something to do with the Vale/Shroud becoming a possibility.

Water Works is tied to Shan to Kor, and I think the story has something to do with Tempest Spine as well.

Many story lines are not well described by the NPCs and just need to be figured out from talking to several NPCs and listening to what monsters say during combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

if you have any intention of hanging around ddo i suggest premium but vip might be a nice way to take a good test drive.
    4 months? You can buy all the non FR content, including the shared bank and extra character slots, all for $45 (the effective 4 month cost based on doing a $15 trial VIP and then going with a 3 month package)

I don't think so.

Break even is 1-2 years, depending if you are patient and only buy points/packs/account features only when they are on sale or if you just pay $ up front.

If you are interested in the story, you might like The Moon Breaker novels. Not exactly following the story but close enough to tie stuff together.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    4 months? You can buy all the non FR content, including the shared bank and extra character slots, all for $45 (the effective 4 month cost based on doing a $15 trial VIP and then going with a 3 month package)

I don't think so.

Break even is 1-2 years, depending if you are patient and only buy points/packs/account features only when they are on sale or if you just pay $ up front.

Yeah, he's not including all the content and features he thinks aren't worth getting. Which ends up being bad advice for a new player because he/she won't know this, and he/she may enjoy particular classes/races/content that Brickwall doesn't like.

It's not intentionally disingenuous, but it's assuming everyone else wants to play the same things the same way.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

I disagree been VIP for 7 years and consider it the best bargin I ever got.

Beware the Sleepeater

Exploring Stormreach can be overwhelming at first. I remember when I first made the jump from Korthos, there was just so much to see and figure out, especially if you are looking for story. For simplicity, the Harbor has generally level 2-3 quests, the Marketplace has level 3-4 quests. The Harbor quests besides the Arlos rescue series are not tied together in any obvious way. The Marketplace has junction points to seemly endless zones. In general, the House X zones contain <level 10 content (except House Cannith). Many of the other zones that aren't part of a house contain >level 10 content.

If it's the story you are interested levels 6-8 have some pretty neat individual quests that contain fairly complete stories and are free to play.

Don't worry too much about the challenges. They are a separate adventure pack as well and again contain no readily apparent intertwining stories.

That may help you sort out where you can start exploring for quests.
    -Anything is possible....if you don't understand the problem.
    -Better to be perceived a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.
    -Luck is simply a crossroads between circumstance and knowledge, both are things you can control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast