Community Member

Default Help with 34 pt Fighter Build

Hey all,

I'm TRing my Barbarian soon and want to give Fighter a try next. I typically play with a group of players and I'm interested in making a Fighter that can run into a room, take the brunt of the damage, and utilize a bunch of the fun combat feats like Imp. Trip and Stunning Blow and such.

I'm thinking Dwarf with Dwarven Axe and Shield is a possibility, having naturally higher saving throws, extra combat dcs, and free proficiency.

I don't own Half-orc or Half-elf so I don't plan on making one of them, but any other race is fine if the reason is right.

My basic though is something like this:

Dwarf 20 Fighter
    Stalwart Defender Prestige
    High STR and CON with a mix of other stats for saves/skills/feat req.
    Shield Feats, Maybe the THF Feats for glancing blows with Dwarven Axe?, Imp. Trip and Sunder, Stunning Blow, Cleave/Great Cleave, maybe Resilience for extra saves since -5 to hit might hurt this build to much, and then whatever else.
    Enhancements to improve combat DCs, hp, ac, damage.
    Decent enough intimidate for non-epic stuff.

Note that I'll be TRing shortly after he reaches 20.

Any advice is appreciated thanks!

Dwarves don't have naturally higher saves against anything interesting, but they can spend up to 12 AP to get up to +3 saves against all magical effects, which is powerful. With that said, I would very strongly urge you to go human or half-elf instead. Here is what I recommend for you:

16 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 13* Int, 11 Cha
    levels in Strength

1 - Toughness and THF and Power Attack
    2 - EWP: Bastard Sword
    3 - Toughness
    4 - Weapon Focus: Slashing
    6 - Stunning Blow and Improved THF
    8 - Improved Critical: Slashing
    9 - Improved Sunder
    10 - Combat Expertise*
    12 - Improved Trip* and Greater THF
    14 - Dodge
    15 - Sap
    16 - Mobility
    18 - Toughness and Weapon Spec: Slashing
    20 - Greater Weapon Spec: Slashing

*Improved Trip is kind of a big investment, as the number of stars indicate. However, a pure fighter is 100% the best time to check it out for yourself, so go for it.
    -You don't qualify for SD until 10, but SD 1 is pretty lame anyway.
    -Shield feats are all about tanking, and pre-20 you'll be fine tanking anyway.
    -In the same vein, you absolutely want the THF feats for a DPS mode with a THF weapon. Between HP, AC, Dodge, and PRR you will be very survivable against heroic trash without a shield, and you will do a lot more DPS.

Stalwart 3
    Human Versatility 4 - an enormous DPS increase
    Haste Boost 4 - ditto
    Improved Recovery as much as possible
    As much Armor Mastery as you need to fill out your armor's dodge bonus, depends on the armor but more than 2 ranks is probably not necessary

Why Human instead of Dwarf?
    -Versatility is much more damage than the +damage to axes
    -Improved Recovery is worth much more than a little more saves
    -Proficiency is a wash due to bonus feat
    -With Improved Sunder you'll land Stuns either way, Sap automatically lands, you'll find Trip is pretty useless anyway = bonus DCs not super interesting