Community Member

Default pentium 4 at 3.4ghz?

looking to buy a used computer and wanted to make sure the processor could handle the game? Anyone have experience using this processor to play ddo? (Intel pentium 4 at 3.4ghz) will have 4gb ram also

The processor has little to do with running the game.

What is more important is the Video card and what resolution you plan on playing at.

If you dont have a good video card, pretty much any processor is gonna suck at running ddo.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Paired with the right video card, a 3.4GHz P4 Northwood core and 4Gb of RAM will run the game adequately. I suggest using Win7 x86 for the OS if available. The hard part will be finding a decent DX9+ AGP video card. Most of those still manufactured top out at the GeForce 6000 or Radeon 4000 series chips. Newegg has a handful of them for around $50 US.

Best of luck!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by azlan View Post
    looking to buy a used computer and wanted to make sure the processor could handle the game? Anyone have experience using this processor to play ddo? (Intel pentium 4 at 3.4ghz) will have 4gb ram also
    Assuming it's HyperThread capable (and I'm pretty sure any P4 that fast is), then
    you should be fine. I found my really old single-processor machine stuttered quite
    a bit when playing games, but something with 2 or more cores/threads was smoother.

Of course, what video card you use will be much more important...

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

I used to play ( back when DDO was new ) from a laptop with a 2.4Ghz Pentium M. ( and 512Mb of RAM, shared with the Graphic card ). It's not working anymore.

I'm still playing from my Main Computer... a Pentium D930 ( Pentium 4, Dual Core, 3.2GHz ) and 2GB RAM.
    ( in 3840*1080, dual screen and all )

So yes you won't have any problem with a Pentium 4 @ 3.4GHz as long as you have a decent graphic card to go along.

Oh and depending on the motherboard finding a graphic card might be easy, as AGP was already halfway in the tomb when Pentium 4 came. ( and PCI Express was just beginning )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

Unless you are getting this pc for like 50 bucks, you might be better off saving up 3-4 hundred bucks to build a lga 775 platform pc with a multicore cpu. 478p is obsolete, and so is AGP. You will be limiting yourself dramatically. Spend a bit more, get something that is PCI E 16x capable.

Note that the OP doesn't mention AGP, it's a later poster who assumed AGP.
    I have a DELL Optiplex GX620 with a 3.0GHz P4 and a PCI-X 16x slot, so it
    will depend on the model, but would generally agree it would be a waste of
    money to buy a computer with an AGP slot at this point.

Im running an old P4 with the same CPU and 4GB RAM with an Nvidia 6700 PCI. Yes, they have PCI slots on some of those x-over boards. It runs XP smoothly and efficiently. (as well as Dell or XP will let it)

It will run DDO fine on the low rez version. But I much prefer to run it on this machine.