Community Member

Default Strong beginning duo team

Hey guys...
    I convinced my wife to start playing a little bit with me and we'd like to just duo through as much as the game as possible. We're both f2p, and I have the druid unlocked. The other day we created a druid for her quickly and I used the Verdant healer premade path just for her to try it, she ended up really liking it. So heres my question:
    What would a viable healing focused caster druid look like? Also, what would be the best thing to pair with that? I was thinking some kind of rogue/wiz class for traps and other damage, but that leaves us without any melee dps...
    Any ideas? I'm not sure how to build her druid either...

thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by revengewraith View Post
    Hey guys...
    I convinced my wife to start playing a little bit with me and we'd like to just duo through as much as the game as possible. We're both f2p, and I have the druid unlocked. The other day we created a druid for her quickly and I used the Verdant healer premade path just for her to try it, she ended up really liking it. So heres my question:
    What would a viable healing focused caster druid look like? Also, what would be the best thing to pair with that? I was thinking some kind of rogue/wiz class for traps and other damage, but that leaves us without any melee dps...
    Any ideas? I'm not sure how to build her druid either...

thanks for any help
    How about an exploiter...18 ranger/1 Rogue /1 Monk or Fighter. You can take tempest pre for DPS and still be able to do traps.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

If you do an exploiter, I'd personally go fighter instead of monk now. In addition, if you go caster, you'll soon learn that "melee dps" is not really something you need once you get level 4 spells (acid rain or firewall, specifically).

I can't really offer you druid advice, as I don't really play mine (it's stuck at level 13 because I started finding it too boring) and therefore can't really give advice to how to make one that performs well.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

MMO with ur wife classic:

You're big bad guy with big bad weapon, she is healer ;-)

I started out in a duo, 1x cleric, 1x sorcerer. We made it to cap without worrying about traps - and as first life toons there is no need to do traps for xp!

Ranger Tempest with 1 rogue splash is good for survivability... if you can push UMD up you can also use Raise Dead scrolls etc.
    No longer reading the Forums.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

Basic overview, for the Druid build, choices depend on what else your wife would like to do along with the healing. If casting, a big focus on Wisdom and metamagic feats (Empower, Heighten, etc.). If melee, some points into Strength and some combat feats (Natural Fighting, perhaps).

The Verdant path is casting, so assuming she`d like something like that:

Feats:
    take Toughness, Mental Toughness, Empower (or Maximize), Empower Healing, Heighten (with room for a few more)

Enhancements:
    go for the Season Herald prestige path, with the spell point and spell power (healing and elemental) enhancements, plus some Druid Toughness

Ability split:
    Assuming human and 32-point, go with 16 Con, 18 Wis, and have 6 points left to put wherever.

For the other character, I`d suggest whatever you like and feel comfortable with, provided it can supply some consistent damage output and has some defence.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

What would a viable healing focused caster druid look like?
    Something like this, I imagine:
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.14.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 True Neutral Human Female
    (20 Druid) 
    Hit Points: 282
    Spell Points: 1655 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 15
    Reflex: 5
    Will: 22

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             14                    16
    Dexterity             8                     8
    Constitution         14                    16
    Intelligence          8                     8
    Wisdom               18                    31
    Charisma              8                     8

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 20
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 20
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 20

Level 1 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Augment Summoning
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness

Level 2 (Druid)

Level 3 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 4 (Druid)
    Ability Raise: WIS

Level 5 (Druid)

Level 6 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 7 (Druid)
    Enhancement: Druid Season's Herald I
    Enhancement: Druid Spring's Resurgence
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Druid Energy of the Locus I
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost I
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost II
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of the Storm I
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of the Storm II
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of the Sun I
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of the Sun II
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life I
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life II
    Enhancement: Druid Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Druid Toughness I

Level 8 (Druid)

Level 9 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 10 (Druid)

Level 11 (Druid)

Level 12 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Heighten Spell

Level 13 (Druid)
    Enhancement: Druid Crown of Summer
    Enhancement: Druid Season's Herald II
    Enhancement: Druid Winter's Heart
    Enhancement: Druid Energy of the Locus II
    Enhancement: Druid Energy of the Locus III
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost III
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of the Storm III
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of the Sun III
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life III
    Enhancement: Druid Wisdom II

Level 14 (Druid)

Level 15 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 16 (Druid)

Level 17 (Druid)

Level 18 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 19 (Druid)

Level 20 (Druid)
    Enhancement: Druid Hierophant
    Enhancement: Druid Waxing Hoarfrost I
    Enhancement: Druid Waxing Storm I
    Enhancement: Druid Waxing Sun I
    Enhancement: Druid Zenith of Hoarfrost I
    Enhancement: Druid Zenith of the Sun I
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost IV
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of the Storm IV
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of the Sun IV
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life IV
    Enhancement: Druid Wisdom III
    Epic feats: ESF:Evocation and Empower Spell

Augment Summoning is mostly just for fun; although if you're mostly duoing, you may find her wolf pet+summon monster+hireling helpful. I may have spread enhs too thin by going for cold, fire, and lightning dmg as well as healing; but it's easy enough to reset them to focus on just cold & fire.

As for what to partner up with her: normally I'd recommend some sort of melee DPS tank; the idea being you take all the aggro while the druid and her minions help pound your enemies into submission. Although a rog-splashed wizard (Pale Master) is also a good idea: as you say, your team's melee DPS will be lacking, so the early levels may be tough, since neither of you will have great caster DPS at first; but once you two hit lvl 6 or 7, having two self-healing DPS casters (one of whom has Evasion & trap skills) should be as close to Easy Mode as DDO gets. I posted a "Pale Trapper" build here the other day.

Community Member

what skills should she focus on as a healing/caster druid? conc for one... does heal actually do anything? i'm a little lost lol

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

I'd suggest Concentration, Diplomacy and Spot. Heal increases the amount of HP you get back when using a Shrine so it's not exactly useful, but it's not really worth putting it anywhere else if she has a 4th skill point.
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)

what skills should she focus on as a healing/caster druid?
    On a pure druid, Concentration is the only must-have, IMHO; I also like having a rank of Tumble to unlock it. Other skills I would consider: Balance, Diplomacy, Spot, UMD. I considered splashing to add extra class skills (e.g., rog or bard for UMD); but the druid capstone is nice and I didn't want to water down your wife's build by pulling it in too many different directions.

what skills should she focus on as a healing/caster druid? conc for one... does heal actually do anything? i'm a little lost lol
    Put some into jump. The good jump clickies everyone plans for aren't until level 18 - having practically no jump until level 18 sucks (voice of experience here).

Concentration is a must - keep it maxed, as even once you get quicken, it's needed for scrolls.

Put enough into tumble to be able to tumble (I like doing backflips, so I try to max tumble - but that's only for fun).

Heal as a skill is useless.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Quote Originally Posted by WruntJunior View Post
    Put some into jump. The good jump clickies everyone plans for aren't until level 18 - having practically no jump until level 18 sucks (voice of experience here).
    Why would he need any pts in Jump? Druids get Jump as a lvl 1 spell, which provides +30 at lvl 9; and Jump provides no benefit past 40 pts. And what other lvl 1 spells are you gonna bother using on a caster druid like this by then?

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Why would he need any pts in Jump? Druids get Jump as a lvl 1 spell, which provides +30 at lvl 9; and Jump provides no benefit past 40 pts. And what other lvl 1 spells are you gonna bother using on a caster druid like this by then?
    Okay, ignore what I said about taking jump as a skill. In my defense, I REALLY don't play druids. :P

If you actually want her to get hooked and keep playing, let her kill stuff and you keep her healed.

Support characters are not a good introduction to the game.

If you really want her hooked, buy her the artificer class. Don't make her be a warforged. She can range kill everything at low levels, heal when needed, and do every trap she comes across.

Very worth it.

My husband recommended a WF wiz for me when I started and I very nearly quit. Ugly toon who can't do much until level 7... you want her playing and winning right off the bat if she's going to continue.

Druid's not bad- has some melee, some casting and pets.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Community Member

good suggestion!

we actually played together today and she said she really had fun. We're still lvl 1, so its mostly her hitting things with the starter sickle and letting the wolves take care of everything else. She's really stuck on a druid, and she wanted to be a healing type class lol. I think we're okay as it is. Perhaps we'll try a different combo if she gets bored.

Playing a druid (or any caster, really) involves evolving tactics as you level:

• At low lvls, your caster DPS is weak, so I would focus on melee (Flame Blade OR Ram's Might+Bull's STR+scimitar or staff+Shillelagh), buffs, heals, summons (this is when Augment Summons is most useful, IMHO), maybe a bit of CC (Entangle, etc.). [In hindsight if follow my build, you might want to take Emp Heal at lvl 3 and bump Max out to lvl 9.]
    • Starting at lvl 7 is when you shift focus to DPS casting, as that's when druids start getting decent AoEs (Ice Storm, Flame Strike). As a Season's Herald, she'll have Spring's Resurgence, which provides lots of free healing, so she can spare more SPs for DPS spells. Also a fun tactic you can use: buff the party with FOM and lay down Sleet Storm, which blinds & occasionally knocks down enemies. She'll also get her first mass Vigor spell at lvl 7...really the tough part is deciding which lvl 4 spells to load! At lvl 9 she'll get Firewall and Lightning Storm; this is when you'll really need to learn the art of kiting mobs thru AoE DoT spells.

Quote Originally Posted by WruntJunior View Post
    Okay, ignore what I said about taking jump as a skill. In my defense, I REALLY don't play druids. :P
    Well, not really _ignore_: I usually put between 3 and 7 ranks of jump - depending upon class - into jump. A total modified Jump skill of 40 (anything above that is thrown away by the game) helps with the handful (true, there aren't many, but still) of places where switches or bonus chests require a high jump skill.

If you have the AP, I say use 3-7 of them. If AP-starved, 1-3 AP should still be fine. This assumes you have STR gear boni worn later in the game (and normally most characters will, whether they really needed to or not).
    Last edited by fco-karatekid; 01-08-2013 at 08:40 AM.