Default help with glancing blows

I was trying to run Let Sleeping Dust Lie the other night and I couldnt avoid hitting the spiders with
    glancing blows. Is there a way to turn this off? I tried only useing my bow until I ran out of arrows, and
    I tried using 1 handed weapons as opposed to two handed but my paladin always seems to inflict glancing
    blows which quickly squich the spiders. any help is appreciated
    thanks
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

Default *spoiler)

That's a rough quest to run on a melee. Here's the trick I use, kill everything in all the tunnels you can get to. Don't pick up the book. Once everything is killed, get the book and find/kill the ogre mage. If you are lucky you can look up on the upper paths and find the second book. That will eliminate having to do the other two tunnel areas.

Turn off auto-targeting and use a one-hander. Also take off any items that will damage/slay. Go slow and kill all the ogres until you get the book. Once you have the book drop down to the main room and the last mage will show up (to the left of the shrine). Kill him and then you're home free. As long as you haven't killed any spiders (after grabbing the book) you can go crazy in the end fight (only four spiders there).

Note: You will lose two junk chests with this method.

Note2: Make sure you have plenty of arrows for the Queen defense fight. Several ogres are above and can't be meleed.

Note3: The spiders are immune to acid, have a crafter make a really low damage weapon with acid burst on it. If you accidentally hit a spider, the main damage will be negated.
    Last edited by madmaxhunter; 12-27-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Community Member

Use 1h weapons, other then Bastardsword and DwarvenAxe because those two also proc glancing blows.
    Or dualwield Bastardsword/Dwarvenaxe because they only give glancing blows when used 1h with or without shield.

Or run it with a instakill caster or Acidsavant.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default dust

Either go S&B or TWF, but do NOT use a Dwarven Axe or a Bastard Sword (they are the only one handers that proc glancing blows). Put your auto attack OFF and ONLY do combat with auto attack turned ON when you are absolutely sure that you have an ogre targeted (and not a spider). Don't run around holding your left mouse button (because you will hit a spider using this combat method). Its a pain and requires a lot of patience but works.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

I like the Giant Stalkers Knife from Gwylans on my melees for this, Greater Giant Bane and 1-4 slashing damage, the spiders have DR against slashing, so its reasonably effective on the ogres and has minimal effect on the spiders.

Fight in the move.
    If you are moving you will not produce glancing blows.
    Think of it as twich practice.
    ------
    Also I found the spiders tend to move faster than the ogres and gain a lead with their jump attack. Run in grab agro back off up the tunnel and draw the spiders. Then jump or run around them and squash the ogres with a quick smite or two.

Even easier if your lucky you can get the ogres to stop and shoot their bow giving you a huge gap to work with.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Yep, soloing on my THF melee I run in and out and around until an ogre is isolated and I'm between the spiders and that ogre, at which point I run in and smack the ogre around a bit. Lather, rinse, repeat. It's super tedious.

thanks for all you input, really helped out!
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

Quote Originally Posted by t0r012 View Post
    Fight in the move.
    If you are moving you will not produce glancing blows.
    Think of it as twich practice.
    ------
    Also I found the spiders tend to move faster than the ogres and gain a lead with their jump attack. Run in grab agro back off up the tunnel and draw the spiders. Then jump or run around them and squash the ogres with a quick smite or two.

Even easier if your lucky you can get the ogres to stop and shoot their bow giving you a huge gap to work with.
    Twitch + acid damage weapon works very well in there.

You can also try an acid based returning thrower instead of arrows.