Thread: Sense Weakness

Default Sense Weakness

I've seen it mentioned a few times that sense weakness isn't good against rednames. Why?

I ask because the last shroud I ran, sense weakness was working normally on Harry.

Sketchy Adventurer aradelothion's Avatar

They probably mean the +30% bonus damage to helpless mobs, since you can't make red/purple named mobs helpless.
    Asmodeux | Carollous Magnus | Angeleus Dei | Solkanaar | Damodarius
    P I N O Y
    In my world, everyone's a pony, and we all eat rainbows and pewp butterfiles... of death.

Most rednames have higer HP's seems like sense weakness would be a really good thing to have,
    as they would be in the 75%/50%/25% ranges for a longer time.
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aradelothion View Post
    They probably mean the +30% bonus damage to helpless mobs, since you can't make red/purple named mobs helpless.
    Probably this. Me, I like the fact I'll start to do additional +d8/+d10/+d12

Opinions are always in abundance. imo its great, but I'm sure someone can 'imo terrible'.

Some people seem to be of the opinion that the extra damage dice are only applied to helpless creatures, (which would kinda suck) but it works all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    Some people seem to be of the opinion that the extra damage dice are only applied to helpless creatures, (which would kinda suck) but it works all the time.
    Ah, that would make sense.

I've seen comments along the lines of "and when we're talking about dps twists, don't say sense weakness or you're a noob. It's useless against rednames."

I never understood that, but now I think I do. Turns out, thinking sense weakness is useless against rednames is what makes you noob. hehheh.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Probably this. Me, I like the fact I'll start to do additional +d8/+d10/+d12
    d8/d12/d20 according to wiki.

That means, for example, the last quarter of the Harry fight you're doing an extra 21.5 damage per swing.

On the same note, there are some characters for whom other twists might be better on rednamed mobs than sense, depending exactly how much damage they're getting from said twists. Since you can only have one lv 4 twist (and a lot of people are in 4-2-1, so you can only have one 3 or 4), there are abilities like Reign that may be competitive with sense for red named fights.

However, for most people that's not remotely true. The misconception is the source of a lot more of those statements. But its not out of the question to see a situation like "fatesinger in the group giving stacking sonic vulnerability and/or air savant giving his buff makes reign more damage over the whole fight because it's better for the first 50% by a wide margin and benefitting from the vulnerabilities".

Also significant is that we have a fair number of bosses who are not actually taken all the way to 0 so the amount of time they spend in the range where the d20s are proccing from sense may be a smaller percentage of time. For example, Lolth doesn't spend very long in the 25% vuln range, and neither does the LOB if you aren't marking him. A twist that gives you 8-12 damage per hit could be more damage over either of those fights as long as it is always up.
    Last edited by Junts; 12-27-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Default ... Math.

mob's health 100%/75% [0 extra damage] ---- >75%/50% [+1d8 extra damage] ---- >50%/25% [+1d8 and +1d12 extra damage] ---- >25%/0% [+1d8, +1d12 and +1d20 extra damage]

average is [0+4,5+(4,5+6,5)+(4,5+6,5+10,5)]/4 = 9,25 damage per hit which is good against red/purple nameds as well.
    Last edited by Zerkul; 01-08-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    Guild Leader of "GODS - Guardians Of the Dragon Sanctuary" on Cannith --- My Characters: Zavarthak (20 Barbarian Frenzied/Ravager DPS - MAIN), Ryumajin (Warlock,), Leohands (Evocation FVS firstlife), Galvano (Paladin TWF). - If you like or find useful my posts, consider adding reputation.

Default Ranged Damage?

I realize it doesn't work with the extra specific melee damage but does it work for the 10-30% to helpless?
    Sarlona server

Falcanor 28 AA

Quote Originally Posted by alrock View Post
    I realize it doesn't work with the extra specific melee damage but does it work for the 10-30% to helpless?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerkul View Post
    mob's health 100%/75% [0 extra damage] ---- >75%/50% [+1d8 extra damage] ---- >50%/25% [+1d8 and +1d12 extra damage] ---- >25%/0% [+1d8, +1d12 and +1d20 extra damage]

average is [0+4,5+(4,5+6,5)+(4,5+6,5+10,5)]/4 = 9,25 damage per hit which is good against red/purple nameds as well.
    Does that damage get multiplied with crits? Or counted on after?

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Does that damage get multiplied with crits? Or counted on after?
    It's essentially a weapon proc, like holy, so it doesn't multiply on crits.

Community Member

What are they suggesting is better?

I can see Grim Precision being a potential candidate depending on the fortification of the boss.

Very few quests or raids have you face bosses only however, and given that you can't switch twists in the middle of a quest, Sense Weakness is certainly one of the stronger options.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by Zerkul View Post

So basically with an enemy that has probably got like 10k+ health and can crit a 300 from 1 spell this means you're wasting your time researching whatever their weakness is: clap clap turbine clap clap. Like my argument to that would be what? You really think 5 or so extra hits than normal is going to equal an easier combat battle? Really? Ok sure you walk in their with your 2 handed Fire sword of doom whilst your teammates keep dying and you're left on your own killing the boss - Yeah been there, unless you're talking about normal difficulty or hard I don't think your puny 10 damage a hit is going to even phase the boss.