Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Default You guys aren't making friends with the recent server crashes, Dev response desired.

Thelanis just crashed, don't even need to retart the client to know it's going to be down. As I was joking to the party I was in: Hope someone at Turbine is pulling on some warm winter clothes to go turn Thelanis back on.

Why have the servers been so unstable lately? haven't seen a Dev comment on this, the last couple weeks have been especially bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Community Member

Sorry to tell you Dev's have nothing to do with the servers. No they need some IT folks to give a answer. But knowing Turbine will be like it never happened.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Freddy View Post
    Sorry to tell you Dev's have nothing to do with the servers. No they need some IT folks to give a answer. But knowing Turbine will be like it never happened.
    If you were sorry you would have kept it to yourself. Obviously (I guess not obviously enbough) Dev is short for "someone at Turbine who knows whats going on lately, or can ask".

I am aware that most servers are in large warehousing complexs known as "DC's" or data centers, though not sure what Turbines setup is, I doubt they lease their servers from colocation farms. I would expect that most of the CE's and net admins there are actually Turbine employees, working with dedicated Turbine owned hardware, simply due to the highly specialized nature of MMO's. But I admit that's just a guess.
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Turbine arent too worried ....
    Its only Thelanis they keep crashing, other servers always stay up.
    I hope this gets fixed, but i fear what gets broken instead.
    How many dwarves does it take to screw in a lightbulb ?!?
    Three. Two to get a ladder under it, one to try to climb up until he realizes the ladder is bugged.

Quote Originally Posted by D-molisher View Post
    I coulda sworn the past couple weeks other servers have been having this - Ghallanda, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    I coulda sworn the past couple weeks other servers have been having this - Ghallanda, maybe?
    I think wayfinder has been the only stable one lol I wonder why.

Thelanis and Khyber usually go down, both being the most populous servers.

I hate to tell you, but there's probably no dev or IT guy to respond to this until at least tomorrow.

Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Draxis View Post

I hate to tell you, but there's probably no dev or IT guy to respond to this until at least tomorrow.

Merry Christmas!
    Here's a question I'm hopeing someone with an IT background can answer. If my pc crashes I can setup my computer to reboot and re launch all the apps I want without touching a key. Why is it the ddo servers don't behave the same way, I'm assuming there is a reason.

Community Member

I really hope a memory leak wasn't introduced into the server-side client in the latest updates. It gonna be periodic if there was.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Here's a question I'm hopeing someone with an IT background can answer. If my pc crashes I can setup my computer to reboot and re launch all the apps I want without touching a key. Why is it the ddo servers don't behave the same way, I'm assuming there is a reason.
    They do. Unless it's truly locked up or rebooted and had another issue, like corrupted data, which would require changing to the most recent backup copy... Which might be automated, but it'd still take a while since there's no person there to physically pop out a HD and pop in another with the backup.

Because there is no app to revive the server hamster after it dies. You actually have to put a new one in there and get it running in the wheel again.

Community Member

they should just bounce. they don't always tho.

used to be, the servers got "maintenance" every single week. and they didn't go down otherwise. they used to even schedule updates for the maintenance time. now, maintenance occurs maybe once a month, and we have server crashes. i don't believe in coincidences.

Quote Originally Posted by Vua View Post
    Because there is no app to revive the server hamster after it dies. You actually have to put a new one in there and get it running in the wheel again.
    Hey there are automatic defibs for people. Time to get some implanted into the hamsters.

They do. Unless it's truly locked up or rebooted and had another issue, like corrupted data, which would require changing to the most recent backup copy... Which might be automated, but it'd still take a while since there's no person there to physically pop out a HD and pop in another with the backup.
    Thank you that makes sense.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Hey there are automatic defibs for people. Time to get some implanted into the hamsters.
    Great now they're using geriatric hamsters with heart conditions?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by D-molisher View Post
    Poor you, right? Khyber, Orien, and Ghallanda have all gone down at least once in the last few weeks, and Argo's crashed 3 times since the last update while I've been logged on.

Wayfinder's probably crashed too, but if a tree falls in the forest and no one's around...

Hall of Famer & Hero DoctorWhofan's Avatar

DEVS = developers.

Tolero = admin

IT peeps = server crashes.

Chill, enjoy the holidays with the family instead of gaming.
    +The Goddess of Tempest's Spine+Merc's Only, THELANIS: List is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...94#post2798094 LEGIONNAIRE /Salute to Rameses, He has RETURNED!

Community Member

So how do you know which servers are the most populous? I've seen people say this before about other servers.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by levesque2004 View Post
    they should just bounce. they don't always tho.

used to be, the servers got "maintenance" every single week. and they didn't go down otherwise. they used to even schedule updates for the maintenance time. now, maintenance occurs maybe once a month, and we have server crashes. i don't believe in coincidences.
    Huh? We had server downtime 3 times last week. How can they not be doing maintenance at those times?

Quote Originally Posted by rayworks View Post
    So how do you know which servers are the most populous? I've seen people say this before about other servers.
    Oh I don't mean to sound like an authority on it. I don't think they've ever posted actual server numbers. But I have chars on every server and this is just my personal observance. Plus these are the two that have most often gone down recently, and the laggy-est in my personal experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast