Community Member

Default Mastermaker Questions

I've been doing a lot of reading both here on the forums and in the DDOwiki, but I still don't have any real clarity as to what a Mastermakers core stats should be (outside of INT and CON). Do I also need to have pts. in CHA as well? Everything I've read up til now tells me otherwise, but I'd like to be certain from those of you clear on the Class (and Path) and how to play them.

I was drawn to the idea of Artificer because it seems to have so much flexibility in terms of what can be accomplished with them. I really like the idea of supplying support where need be, in addition to casting spells, dealing/disarming traps, crafting, Crowd-Control/buff/debuff/damage from a distance = WIN.

What should I be focused on starting out with this Class stat-wise? And are there feats/skills I should focus on over any other from the onset?

Racial I'm focusing on either Human or Half-Elf (Maybe Drow, if it works beter for the Path), if this helps. (I know WF fits, but aesthetically, I can't stand the Race...>_>)

I appreciate any advice or feedback any of you can offer.

Thanks in advance.

~S.

the paths pre-select stats for you. be advised that in many cases, the preset paths do an absolutely terrible job of creating a character for you. you'd be much better off ignoring any paths and following a build on the forums.

as to attributes for an artificer in general, presuming you're going for the standard ranged artificer (not melee):

in general, int as high as you can stand to put it while keeping your other attributes decent (if 1 point less of int means 4 more points of con, it's probably not a bad investment). dex high enough that between your intended level-ups and tomes, you can have at least a 19 (some prefer 21 for combat archery once they hit epic levels, but it isn't nearly as much of a difference as there is between having improved precise shot and not having it). probably the rest into con, although you may wish to consider a *slight* investment into strength. ignore cha and wis.

feats: you should probably plan on having maximize, empower, quicken, point blank shot, rapid shot, rapid reload, precise shot, improved precise shot, improved critical: ranged, and toughness (not necessarily in that order). this should leave you with feats left over. quick draw, spell focus and greater spell focus: evocation, augment summoning (only recommended at low levels, plan to swap out later), and insightful reflexes (personally, i don't like insightful reflexes on an artificer, but it can help) are all possibilities to fill in the remaining slots before epic levels. mix and match according to what you would like most. maximise and empower and quicken can wait, no need for them at level 1. toughness is great at about level 3, when you can start taking enhancements. improved critical *cannot* be taken before level 12, improved precise shot cannot be taken before level 15. quick draw cannot be taken at level 1, iirc. (note: all levels assume *pure* artificer. if splashing, they will change). personally, for my build, i took quick draw, and the two spell focus feats. your mileage may vary.

half-elf is mechanically the strongest choice. choose the rogue dilettante, and pick up the enhancements for it as well as the human versatility action boost (+1 int is also a good idea, and if you can fit it in human heal amp is nice). i personally don't recommend humans (you've already got lots of feats, don't really have a dire need for more).

drow can work, and if you don't have 32 point builds may be your best choice (it's better for stats than even a 32 point half-elf, but the half-elf really wins on enhancements, which makes it stronger. a 28-point half-elf would be really struggling with attributes i suspect). just remember that being a drow does not mean you dump-stat constitution or ignore hit points... that's kind of a stereotype for drow, and far too many live up to it for you to be able to get away with it in groups

for skills, pretty much grab the basic rogue skills (search, disable, open locks, use magic device, spot if you don't think you know traps and won't be running with veterans who do), and add in concentration. you'll probably have some left over in the long run... i recommend at least 1 point in tumble (more will help take less damage from falling), enough in balance to hit +15 skill (not ranks) easily (more than +15 but less than +40 is pointless), and possibly some jump if you still have points left over. if you still have points... i dunno. craft(basketweaving) is probably about as useful as any of the ones that are left.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    the paths pre-select stats for you. be advised that in many cases, the preset paths do an absolutely terrible job of creating a character for you. you'd be much better off ignoring any paths and following a build on the forums.

as to attributes for an artificer in general, presuming you're going for the standard ranged artificer (not melee):

in general, int as high as you can stand to put it while keeping your other attributes decent (if 1 point less of int means 4 more points of con, it's probably not a bad investment). dex high enough that between your intended level-ups and tomes, you can have at least a 19 (some prefer 21 for combat archery once they hit epic levels, but it isn't nearly as much of a difference as there is between having improved precise shot and not having it). probably the rest into con, although you may wish to consider a *slight* investment into strength. ignore cha and wis.

feats: you should probably plan on having maximize, empower, quicken, point blank shot, rapid shot, rapid reload, precise shot, improved precise shot, improved critical: ranged, and toughness (not necessarily in that order). this should leave you with feats left over. quick draw, spell focus and greater spell focus: evocation, augment summoning (only recommended at low levels, plan to swap out later), and insightful reflexes (personally, i don't like insightful reflexes on an artificer, but it can help) are all possibilities to fill in the remaining slots before epic levels. mix and match according to what you would like most. maximise and empower and quicken can wait, no need for them at level 1. toughness is great at about level 3, when you can start taking enhancements. improved critical *cannot* be taken before level 12, improved precise shot cannot be taken before level 15. quick draw cannot be taken at level 1, iirc. (note: all levels assume *pure* artificer. if splashing, they will change). personally, for my build, i took quick draw, and the two spell focus feats. your mileage may vary.

half-elf is mechanically the strongest choice. choose the rogue dilettante, and pick up the enhancements for it as well as the human versatility action boost (+1 int is also a good idea, and if you can fit it in human heal amp is nice). i personally don't recommend humans (you've already got lots of feats, don't really have a dire need for more).

drow can work, and if you don't have 32 point builds may be your best choice (it's better for stats than even a 32 point half-elf, but the half-elf really wins on enhancements, which makes it stronger. a 28-point half-elf would be really struggling with attributes i suspect). just remember that being a drow does not mean you dump-stat constitution or ignore hit points... that's kind of a stereotype for drow, and far too many live up to it for you to be able to get away with it in groups

for skills, pretty much grab the basic rogue skills (search, disable, open locks, use magic device, spot if you don't think you know traps and won't be running with veterans who do), and add in concentration. you'll probably have some left over in the long run... i recommend at least 1 point in tumble (more will help take less damage from falling), enough in balance to hit +15 skill (not ranks) easily (more than +15 but less than +40 is pointless), and possibly some jump if you still have points left over. if you still have points... i dunno. craft(basketweaving) is probably about as useful as any of the ones that are left.
    I *really* appreciate your taking the time to give me feedback. This helps a great deal.
    I'll keep you posted on my progress! ^__^

Community Member

As a note, Precise Shot and Improved Precise Shot have Dexterity requirements (17 and 19, respectively) which can be achieved by starting stats + level ups + tomes only (dex enhancements and stat items don't count). Be sure to have your Dexterity planned out before you start your character!

I didn't feel the need for insightful in the old game where you stopped at 20 - the difference between my INT and DEX wasn't super high, etc.

Now with additional attribute points, higher tomes allowing for less investment in DEX initially and w/ level ups, etc. and ED abilities that boost INT, means my INT outpaces my DEX by quite a bit more. Significant benefit to Insightful now. In addition, the targets you (well, *I*) want to hit for reflex saves means I have a higher target, so want more boost in a general sense.

I *love* insightful.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    I didn't feel the need for insightful in the old game where you stopped at 20 - the difference between my INT and DEX wasn't super high, etc.

Now with additional attribute points, higher tomes allowing for less investment in DEX initially and w/ level ups, etc. and ED abilities that boost INT, means my INT outpaces my DEX by quite a bit more. Significant benefit to Insightful now. In addition, the targets you (well, *I*) want to hit for reflex saves means I have a higher target, so want more boost in a general sense.

I *love* insightful.
    i suppose it depends. when you're already planning on a very high dex anyways, to me at least insightful reflexes loses a lot of value. certainly, something like +5 to reflex saves is nice, but it's nowhere near the difference that it represents for a wizard where you're likely gaining +15 at least.

i'm not saying it's garbage or anything... i'm just saying that while i consider it almost a must-have for a wizard, for an artificer it's more of a "nice, but not required" feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    i suppose it depends. when you're already planning on a very high dex anyways, to me at least insightful reflexes loses a lot of value. certainly, something like +5 to reflex saves is nice, but it's nowhere near the difference that it represents for a wizard where you're likely gaining +15 at least.

i'm not saying it's garbage or anything... i'm just saying that while i consider it almost a must-have for a wizard, for an artificer it's more of a "nice, but not required" feat.
    Yep, I didn't have it for a long time for this reason. My DEX and INT were close enough that it didn't seem like a huge investment. I had some level up points in DEX to hit IPS, etc.

Now that +3 tomes are pretty common, I did the LR - no more level ups into DEX. To-hit isn't a big deal anymore, so sometimes I don't even wear more than simple +6 DEX item. INT though go the spare level up(s), the additional at 24, the better items, the better tome and the ED abilities.

It used to be they were close. Now they aren't as close, so more value.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

I respectfully disagree. For me, the point of the Mastermaker was not being the best possible Marksman -- it was being a Mastermaker, a spell-focused artificer.

I have a Mastermaker style Artificer, 32 point human, and started with an 18 INT and most of the rest of my points in CON, a little in CHA for UMD. STR and DEX of 10. Believe it or not, his accuracy with the repeater is not that bad and with Insightful Damage he does decent ranged damage. But that's not the point of the concept.

Feats: I took Point Blank shot eventually but most everything else went into metamagic, Augment Summoning, Construct Essence, Toughness, and .. yes ... the Dragonmarks of Making. All of them. When you can heal yourself and your pet FOR FREE, this frees up a lot of spell points for blasting and buffing.

Enhancements: I put a huge emphasis on building INT, spell points, extra dragonmarks, and spell power/crits in two areas: electric and repair. Electric is very handy (especially under level 10), where you can really load up on offensive electric damage and debuffs. There are also some very nice electric-based runearms avialable (Chimera's Breath and, to a lesser extent, Flicker). I cannot stress enough how useful repair spellpower is to keep yourself self-sufficient.

Gear: I boosted all trapping skills, INT, CON, fortification, electric/repair spellpower/crit, and spell points over everything else.

Where this ends up is a buffing/offensive arcane caster with Wizard-level spell points, very respectable spell-based and weapon-based damage, trapping, self-sufficiency, and a handy and fun pet that can tank a bit for you. It is fun, survivable, and works well teamed or solo/hireling'd.