Community Member

Angry Poor Customer Service

I pre-ordered DDO when it first came out years ago, and played with a large community of friends for a couple of years. We left for many reason, but last month I came back to see what was new with the game. I instantly fell back in love, dropping all other MMOs I was playing and jumping back in with DDO. I purchased a VIP membership and about $50 worth of Turbine Points.

I recently (within the last 2 weeks) bought the “Menace of the Underdark” expansion for an additional $50. I am pleased with my purchase and enjoy the game. I saw today that “Menace of the Underdark” is on sale for $25. I thought that maybe as I recently purchased this I might be up for some kind of discount or reimbursement. I know that most retail stores will do this for customers especially when the purchase was so recent.

I called customer support and was laughed at when I asked. I was told by the woman whom I was speaking with that there was nothing they could or would do for me. The price is what it is. I wasn’t asking for cash back. I would gladly have taken $25 worth of Turbine Points. Instead I was made to further feel like a fool.

I have been getting former players to come back with me on Free-to-Play and actively advocating for them to do as I have done and pay for VIP and buy points/expansions. I don’t know if I should continue this now. This might be the incident that once again turns me off of DDO and Turbine in general. I love the game but the company’s customer service has soured me.

I've never heard of a company giving a discount for an item you paid for before it went on sale.

I'm not saying it has never happened, and certainly if the company was trying to win your favour, say for instance the item you purchased didn't work of something.

I wouldn't call it standard practice though and while I don't begrudge you the effort, it was worth a go, but I don't see any reason to be angry at Turbine.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanvar View Post
    I believe my left thumb is Gimp. I think I need to reroll.
    DDO Acronyms: http://ddowiki.com/page/Glossary
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...78#post2326178

I hear where you're coming from and it's very annoying to buy something at full price only to see it go on sale shortly after. In the case of MotU, it feels like it's on sale more often than it's at full price. Every other week they're announcing a sale on the xpac. I'm not saying this is something everyone knows about but with the extent that this item is "on sale" I'd prefer they just knock the standard price down to the sale price and not do any more sales. Making people feel bad for buying something at full price by having a sale every other week will only serve to get your players to wait for a sale or in the case of the OP, feel buyers remorse for spending "full price" for it. In the first case, players wait to spend money (bad for Turbine) and in the second case players feel bad (almost ripped off). Neither of these situations is a positive experience.

I'm not suggesting that the xpac isn't worth the $50. I bought mine way back before release for full price and don't regret it. The practice of up and down pricing is something I'd like to see less of.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default sux

Everyone has to draw the line somewhere. This sucks, but the price was ok when you bought it. If they give you the deal for being a few weeks off then why not the rest of us for being a few more weeks off or even a few months off. I wouldn't try to make your point over this. Something buffer may come along. If however it really has you in a bad rut, then call Turbine and ask to speak to a supervisor. If that doesn't work, go above Turbine to WB. All of that still may not get you anywhere. I wish you good luck, but don't think its worthwhile the fight. Let us know how it goes.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehawke View Post
    Everyone has to draw the line somewhere. This sucks, but the price was ok when you bought it. If they give you the deal for being a few weeks off then why not the rest of us for being a few more weeks off or even a few months off. I wouldn't try to make your point over this. Something buffer may come along. If however it really has you in a bad rut, then call Turbine and ask to speak to a supervisor. If that doesn't work, go above Turbine to WB. All of that still may not get you anywhere. I wish you good luck, but don't think its worthwhile the fight. Let us know how it goes.
    pretty much this, but as someone that works in customer service, if I laughed at a customer wanting to make a return or something of that nature, I would find myself in HR's "firing" crosshairs quicker than you can spit. Whomever you spoke to at turbine that laughed at you was incredibly unprofessional, and even worse, those conversations are ALWAYS recorded.

The only bad CS you experienced is if you were actually laughed at. And having worked in the CS field, and having had dealings with Turbine's over the phone CS... I kinda have my doubts there. Not saying it didn't happen... just that I doubt it. Personally, I think you are just mad that you were told No.

However, to expect to be retroactively given a sale-price is kinda silly. If you bought a bag of chips at the grocery store and the next day that same bag is now 50¢ cheaper - you'd be fairly brazen to ask for that 50¢ back on a half-eaten bag of chips. Buying the expansion pack is little different.

I see no valid complaint here - just a bit of sour grapes.

This isn't about poor customer service, it's about poor customer expectations.