Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why am I crafting, again?

I see that the highest value of (for example) a potency shard I can make is 36. That is ridiculously underpowered for what I get on the AH, for less money and effort. Is there a reason for crafting I'm missing, or would I be better off selling my essences and collectibles at auction?
    FYI, when I summon an earth elemental, it's not a "he," it's a "she." And her name is Pebbles.

Default its because you can

take paralyzing off a bastard sword and put it on.......wait the stoned ewok was way off on that one

Because you feel like wearing out the left button on your mouse in the crafting hall instead of actually playing the game?

Personally I (mainly) use crafting for twinking new characters. Once your levels are high enough items like a feather falling Ring of Moderate Fortification with a Guild Augment Slot at level 5 are really handy. Or flexible shards which can really open up options for what items to put where. Vanilla +6 stat items with a ML 2 lower than normal are also pretty cool.

Once you get into higher levels and Epic content a lot of the crafted items become more obsolete, but not always completely useless.

Maybe at lower levels it could seem a bit of a pointless exercise, but as with most things, work reaps rewards. Stick at it and like I said, if nothing else you will be able to twink out your lower level characters with good gear.

Level 20 commoner.

Smile

I don't know ---

that stat item of +5 resistance (will.fort.refl) ml:15 with MC I which stacks with stability or generic resistance is a very handy thing to have --- means you can build toons with all saves in the high 20's to mid 30's. Make it on a BtA item and add the alchemical resistance ritual as well.... (+12 to all saves.... pretty wicked)

the usefulness of crafting does diminish for a spell around level 10-14 - but being able to add flexible shards and stack / custom build is awesome.

My level 18 Arty has an impluse 54 of major kinetic lore item --- find that in the game? tactical detonation and blade barriers.....

Just takes patience and some creative uses.....
    Last edited by UurlockYgmeov; 12-19-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Principle View Post
    I see that the highest value of (for example) a potency shard I can make is 36. That is ridiculously underpowered for what I get on the AH, for less money and effort. Is there a reason for crafting I'm missing, or would I be better off selling my essences and collectibles at auction?
    When I had 1 toon who was lvl 10 at the time when crafting first came out, I said the same exact thing. It was pointless.

Now that I have 7 with one of them crafting at lvl 50+, it is incrediably nice to have.

I make specialized beaters for my melee toons.

I make specialized armor for my tank.

I make decent gear for my TRs or new toons.

Instead of selling everything through the AH, I decon stuff for lesser essences. Now I'm swimming in the stuff I need to build about 75% of what I need for any given toon. Plus, I have a bonafide reason to gather collectables.

If you plan to TR your toon, or maybe have other toons to run, seriously think about crafting now. You can use it to cover "holes" in your gear layout, and make items that you can dispose of or upgrade when starting out.

On my wizzy TR, when I reincarnated him, I went to the crafting hall and basically crafted everything I needed for levels 1 to 5. For the most part, I kept that same setup until about lvl 7.

So, in the short term, crafting is kinda useless. In the long term, it can be very powerful.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Community Member

Aside from what has been mentioned, you may also be crafting to prepare for the future...if/when they introduce higher enchantments (maybe the new ones we've seen recently will show up there)...you'll be some degree closer to crafting them, rather than having to start completely from scratch. Basically, pre-spreading out the grind, in hopes of a future payout.

axiomatic adamantine <bludgeon> of construct bane (or gr. construct bane)
    Holy Cold Iron <whatever> of Chaotic Outsider Bane
    Holy Silver <whatever> of Lawful Outsider Bane
    Ghost-Touch Flametouched Iron <bludgeon> of Undead bane

acid burst cold iron <whatever> of bleed
    for 2WF seeker <whatever> of melee alacrity for the off hand

shield / armor
    life shield of invulnerability
    superior stability

lesser arcane casting dexterity to remove that last stubborn 5% ASF

and many more

combine with guild augments.... and wow...

Another reason why the Cannith Crafting system needs a massive overhaul/update (as if the list wasn't long enough). I really hope the devs see to this part of the game and update it substantially!

Stoner81.

I've whined and complained about this crafting system since it was birthed for this very reason - the investment is too high for the return HOWEVER...

I modified my approach to it. I picked a mule (unfortunately before I got artificer) and made her my crafter. I occasionally toss high loot level vendor trash in the shared bank and decon it. I toss essences in shared bank for her. When I mule, I pick those up as applicable. When I have little time or patience to actually play, I craft and decon shards for a while.

In essence, it's not anywhere near important to me to level crafting... I do it as an aside.

Been doing this since U10 or U11 and I think she's in mid-80's in all three schools. I've crafted MAYBE 6 items for 4 characters for low level twinking purposes and a buncha those runestones (which _are_ handy).

Stop focusing on it and its near-worthlessness (and your frustration with it) will dissipate. It is not worth the blood pressure spike
    Last edited by fco-karatekid; 12-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.

^That is more or less what I am doing now really, my crafter is currently 80/75/75 and I just save up essences until I have loads then sit down for an hour or so and just craft shards to gain XP. I have some elixers to boost crafting XP and they really do help a lot (25% extra per shard for 15 minutes add up pretty rapidly).

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    ^That is more or less what I am doing now really, my crafter is currently 80/75/75 and I just save up essences until I have loads then sit down for an hour or so and just craft shards to gain XP. I have some elixers to boost crafting XP and they really do help a lot (25% extra per shard for 15 minutes add up pretty rapidly).

Stoner81.
    generally that is the best way to do this.

My TR Artificer (crafting/haggle bot) is sporting a featherfalling ring of greater false life (min lvl 9), +6 stat items, +13 trap skill items and a superior stability

Crafting has it's perks. Essences are a pretty stable market I'd recommend selling. Given enough time deconstructing items nets you some plat along with approx 3 crafting xp per deconstruct.

I do wish they added paralyzing, disruption along with some of the new prefixes like dynamo, erosive, and suffixes like divine light, radiance.

Make crafting material require the prefix or suffix on top of essences to make customization possible. I'd sign up for something like that.
    Daishado

"drink triple ... see double ... act single! uh oh wife aggro" *hides*

Cannith crafting will never give you an elite caster item. Green steel crafting will never give you an elite boss beater. Use them (and all other crafting systems) for what they are good at, and then you win.

Green steel crafting will never give you an elite boss beater.
    Tell that to a triple positive blunt weapon vs the Abbot.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Potency isn't the only shard you can make with cannith crafting. And casters should be using thaumaturgy staffs for their spell power anyway.

ML1 Melee Alacrity trinket (or ranged alacrity)
    ML1 Secret Door Detection goggles
    ML1 Feather Falliing boots of Jump +3
    ML1 Armor/Robe/Outfit of Invulnerability

ML7 Heavy Fort ring
    ML7 Resistance +5 bracers
    ML7 Greater False Life belt

DR breaking boss beaters

Honestly? I don't know why you're crafting.

I've had my crafting capped since shortly after the cap increased and I've hardly touched it since, apart from making shards for other people occasionally. It's nice to be able to make low-level twinking gear (having an Acid Burst heavy repeater of PG with a medium slot for +2 guild bonus to hit at L5, for instance) but I'm not really doing anything at low levels any more and the lootgen stuff has got so much better (and desirable combinations so much more readily available and therefore cheaper) that it hardly seems worth fiddling with my ingredients bags for.

Yes, it's also cool to be able to get stat/skill boosters in the right slots a couple of levels early... but honestly, how long do you spend at those levels and how much difference does it *really* make to have them? I've levelled my last couple of characters without even bothering to craft them anything, due to the sheer ennui that overwhelms me at the prospect of logging over to my crafter, creating all the piddly potential shards (with all of the inventory grief that entails) and so on. I'll do it if someone else needs me to, but I can't be bothered to craft for myself any more except in rare circumstances involving flexible shards (and boy, do you have a LONG way to go before you can make decent versions of those).

With some of the standard you-must-be-this-tall-to-play shards essentially ruled out by the stupid ingredients requirements (I have to run Threnal every time I want to make a poxy Heavy Fort item? Really?!), caster shards only going up to piddling levels, no way of circumventing the problem of needing twice as many prefixes as suffixes, and the fact that levels where you actually use crafted items tend to fly past compared to the length of time you spend using mostly or entirely named gear... I'm just not sure it's worth it nowadays.

The irony of Cannith Crafting is that you only get to the levels where it's really useful when you've been playing a long time, but it's by far the most useful to people who haven't been playing a long time and therefore a) don't have banks full of levelling gear and b) haven't yet reached the level of skill/experience/quest knowledge/whatever where a couple of stat points here and there doesn't make much difference. Many of the lowbie items you can make ARE very nice to have while levelling... but you should note that they can all be made unbound by some idiot like me who has very high crafting levels and will do so for free

I know, I know: I'm a bit more down on crafting than is really justified, but in my defence I'm still bitter about what I see as the train-wreck that has emerged from what I thought initially was a very promising system. I still harbour a faint yet sincere hope that they'll revisit it one day and add things like useful levels of potency, the new prefixes and suffixes, the ability to create things like Thaumaturgy staves and so on. You can't even craft 30% striding, for crying out loud! *sigh*
    Crime in multi-storey car parks: it's wrong on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Potency isn't the only shard you can make with cannith crafting. And casters should be using thaumaturgy staffs for their spell power anyway.

ML1 Melee Alacrity trinket (or ranged alacrity)
    ML1 Secret Door Detection goggles
    ML1 Feather Falliing boots of Jump +3
    ML1 Armor/Robe/Outfit of Invulnerability

ML7 Heavy Fort ring
    ML7 Resistance +5 bracers
    ML7 Greater False Life belt

DR breaking boss beaters
    These are great examples of what you can craft once your skills are high enough.

A tip for people who have a lot of characters: if you decon a BTA ran gen item and craft something on it the item will stay BTA.

And ML1 Screaming of Bleeding weapons are nice too.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

I don't use it much, but its handy to be able to fit in certain effects that are too hard/tedious to grind for a named thingy - eg. on my wolf druid, i currently simply can't find space to fit a decent devotion effect without losing out on other things (and that llolth trinket is silly rare/expensive) so i just stuck devotion+66 & major healing lore on a shard from the shroud instead... not the most powerful, but still a huge difference vs. not having either. A mobility of dodge 2% trinket for one of my other characters was a nice investment too... also the +6 charisma of persuasion ring is a nice UMD-boosting item to switch in, and if you aren't worrying about set bonuses, a guild slotted con+6 of GFL belt is better than the ToD belts for a HP item.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member UnderwearModel's Avatar

Default before the last update

Crafting was cool.

I made rings for disabling, searching, and opening locks that were +10 for a level 7. I could make belts, gloves, neckalces, rings, goggles, etc that were +4 haracter stats for a level 7.

The last update brought everything down to that. Since I can find the low gear I don't have to craft that anymore, which saves me essences. You can even buy +4 race restricted stuff for a level 5 on the AH that people find. If you have a half orc that stuff seems to be plentiful.

I still deconstruct most loot I find, with the high end armor and weapons being either sold or deconstructed.

Once there is another crafting bonus weekend I will unleash my crafters for leveling. I should be able to reach 150 then.

For me, crafting is all about making that unusual item. Trinkets are hard to find, so craft a cool trinket. I thought I made a cool one before the last update with natural armor +4 and good luck +2, but then natural armor items came into existence. I know before the last update I could not add feather fall to a trinket, since I have not crafted anything since then I am not sure if that has changed. Otherwise, I would craft a feather fall trinket.

Crafting does have a purpose, but it is one major grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    Monster AI tends to be a limitation of the engine - smart AIs cause more server lag. Boy am I going to get quoted on that or what.
    I survived the scary events in 2009, 2010, and 2011. 2011 did not reward those that played by the rules.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast