Community Member

Default Solo/trap/support fun - Rogue Mechanic/Cleric dillatente?

I'm thinking about a support character that can dish out decent damage, handle traps and a bit of support healing for my son (both wf and fleshy). He likes to play different characters, I'd like to stay with one.

Someone in game recently recommended a Rogue Mechanic - and to max int in the build as he claimed a Mechanic can use Int instead of dex for attack and Int for damage also with ranged repeating crossbow - is this accurate?

I've been searching ddowiki and these forums for any information about this - I don't see this explained or how this is done- is it a feat? Is it part of the Rogue Mechanic enhancement line?

If accurate, this could be a great class for me - I would basically just do ranged attacks and wand buffs/heals and handle traps.

Thx for suggestions/links and or build ideas - thinking max int, and light on dex if true can switch to int based attack and damage for xbows later -

50+ solo builds

I haven't played a Rogue Mechanic, but I would suggest a 18 Wiz / 2 Rogue build instead. You will be able to handle all of the traps, can heal WF and will be able to deal out a lot more damage and buffs
    Returning player who is struggling to catch up with all the new changes.

Re: INT based attack.

From DDOWiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/Mechanic_enhancements)

Rogue Mechanics can add their Intelligence bonus to damage with crossbows of all types.
    Additionally, Mech I grants repeating light repeater x-bow proficiency, Mech II grants heavy repeater proficiency.

Looking through the feats list, I didn't see anything that allows you to replace DEX with INT for attack. Maybe they were thinking of Zen Archery, which allows you to replace DEX with your WIS modifier?

Also, Insightful Reflexes replaces DEX with INT for reflex saves.

Community Member

Thanks Gunther and Fedora -
    Yes, I'm familiar with the Wiz18/Rog2 and actually have played one now a bit. I even tried a Sorc/Rog for more mana (wf) with cha 16 max.

However, I'm really intrigued by this idea of the Master Mech as a ranged dps with int based attack. The fellow in game (I didn't catch his name) replied in an open chat on the server, and he seemed to be very experienced with the game and this build idea in particular.

But I had the same challenge, Fedora - I did look at the mechanic prestige and all Rogue enhancements. No clue where this int based attack replacing dex to hit and str for damage come into play, but he swore you get it at lvl 6 after the first mech 1 prestige.

Can anyone confirm/comment about this? I don't see a feat either - seems strange he would completely make this up, and I'm sure he knew the difference of the feats for swapping charisma, wisdom -

The only possible feat I see related is insightful reflexes:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Insightful_Reflexes

But he specifically said it was for attack and damage using a repeater xbow - sounds a little to good to be true though.

AFAIK, only Artificer can substitute intel for damage on ranged attacks, via one of their Insightful weapon buff spells. Their other Insightful buff will substitute Int for Dex on the attack roll...but they can only have one active at a time.

Mechanic has a way to swap Int for Dex on weapon attack, but not for damage...or at least I don't remember a way to do so. Been awhile since I did a rogue life.

If you want a trapper who is able to heal WF, has plenty of UMD for arcane or divine scrolls, wands, clickies, and is good no matter what race you play, I'd go Half-Elf Artificer with Rogue dil. Max intel (their prime stat), perhaps a 16 dex to start (enough to have a decent hit roll on your repeater so you can use insightful damage), and they can heal themselves after they spend a feat for 'Construct Essence'.

Community Member

Rogue Mechanic's can add their INT bonus to crossbow damage but not to attack. It is part of their Mechanic I PRE

From DDO wiki,
    "Rogue Mechanic I: Passive Benefit: proficiency with Repeating Light Crossbows, add your intelligence bonus to damage with crossbows".

You could do an arti/mechanic build then you could have the Mechanic INT bonus to damage and use Insightful Strikes (a spell) to add INT bonus to attack.

Community Member

Default Wowzers

What a head ache. The OP has gotten a wide range of answers on this topic, literally saying that it'll do and not do everything.

I am a Rogue Mechanic level 20. I promise you OP, if you take the Rogue Mechanic Prestige Enhancement I from the Enhancement line, you will get your INT added to DAMAGE DONE with CROSSBOWS both NORMAL and REPEATING.

ONLY DAMAGE. You do not get to add INT to your TO HIT score. But, as some have said, you WILL get to add INT to DAMAGE with CROSSBOWS. Someone referenced the exact line in Rogue Mechanic I that states this fact. Nowhere will you see INT replace TO HIT however.

hope this clarifies. If you still do not understand, read Rogue Mechanic I's description very carefully and slowly over and over. My hope is that this threads various responses do not confuse you.

I have a lvl 25 Drow Mechanic Rogue and my UMD is high enough to use Heal scrolls so really no need for Cleric Dillante and I solo all sorts of areas both Epic Norm and Epic hard.. and as already stated you can add your INT score to the DAMAGE of your crossbows while your DEX is still used for your TO HIT.
    Officer of the Kobold Workers' Union

Quote Originally Posted by Mojofizznut View Post
    I'm thinking about a support character that can dish out decent damage, handle traps and a bit of support healing for my son (both wf and fleshy). He likes to play different characters, I'd like to stay with one.
    Artificer may be better choice from this description. You will do decent damage, Spells, Rune Arm, and IPS, You can do most of the traps in the game (Rogue would still be king), and between UMD and your repair spells, you have heals covered (Better than a rogue).

Someone in game recently recommended a Rogue Mechanic - and to max int in the build as he claimed a Mechanic can use Int instead of dex for attack and Int for damage also with ranged repeating crossbow - is this accurate?

I've been searching ddowiki and these forums for any information about this - I don't see this explained or how this is done- is it a feat? Is it part of the Rogue Mechanic enhancement line?

If accurate, this could be a great class for me - I would basically just do ranged attacks and wand buffs/heals and handle traps.
    I have never met a Rogue Mechanic post lvl 12+ but that may be because of min/max in the community. Not saying it isn't possible. Artificer sounds closer to what you are looking for though.

Thx for suggestions/links and or build ideas - thinking max int, and light on dex if true can switch to int based attack and damage for xbows later -
    You still need high dex for IPS (19).

[url=http://ddowiki.com/page/Mechanic_enhancements]Mechanic Enhancement[url]

Rogue Mechanic I
    Grants a +2 bonus to Disable Device, Open Lock, Repair, Search, and Spot skills, proficiency with Repeating Light Crossbows, and increases your chances of successfully scavenging parts from traps. Traps you set have improved save DC's. Rogue Mechanics can add their Intelligence bonus to damage with crossbows of all types. Also grants the ability to expend a use of Skill Boost to repair a warforged.
    Rogue Mechanic II
    Grants an additional +2 bonus to Disable Device, Open Lock, Repair, Search, and Spot skills, and proficiency with Repeating Heavy Crossbows. Traps you set have further improved save DC's. Also grants you the ability to smite contructs and living contructs for extra damage. In addition, you gain an additional +4 to saves against traps and 2 points of additional energy resistance against all elements.
    Answers the question about Int = damage. And this path will definitely make you the "king of traps." Only you can decide if this is the build you want.

Community Member

Got the answer(s) I needed.
    Thanks a ton everyone.

Default Repeater Rogue Mechanic

@Abyssalmage: Mackdamech is a "stoned" level 20 Repeater Rogue (Repeater Rogues, Unite!) on Thelanis, who reached level 20 running mostly solo with hireling Fvs.

Most of my characters are "Clogues", leaning toward Rogue 2 / Cleric 18. They make perfect partners for two or three person groups, or for those who just want a character to run solo with a hireling of choice.

The bottom line is, experiment, explore, and enjoy!