Community Member

Default summon monster question

i have the wizards feat Eschew Materials however whenever i try to summon monster 1 with that ability on it keeps saying i dont have all the spell components for it what am i doing wrong

Community Member

Do you have eschew materials turned on universally, or just for that specific spell? If only that spell, is it the base spell that opens the window, or one of the specific monster summons? If you have not done so, when you click on the spell summon monster, and it opens the window with the options for you to summon, you can actually drag those options to your hotbar so that you can summon that specific monster with just 1 click. I would recommend trying to drag the icons to your hotbar, and the turning eschew on for those new icons, and trying it again.

On another note, eschew materials is a bit of a trap feat, as spell components aren't all that expensive unless you are very new and don't have much plat built up. I would recommend swapping it our for another metamagic feat as soon as you are comfortable with buying spell components.

Community Member

i have it just turned on for all spells

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    On another note, eschew materials is a bit of a trap feat, as spell components aren't all that expensive unless you are very new and don't have much plat built up.
    I've used it out of a combination of laziness and lack of inventory space for my Completionist during her Sorcerer life.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Not all spells that use components are affected by Eschew Materials. Check the spell desc. in your spellbook to see if the feat is listed there.

If it is listed, then right click the spell on your toolbar that is summoning the specific creature you want, and make sure you don't have Eschew Materials set to 'always off'

Just having the feat does not mean the feat is active. You need to put the feat in a toolbar slot and then activate it for it to be active for all spells.

Just as a side note, I would strongly recommend ditching that feat and taking something a lot more useful. Of all the metamagics, the only feat more useless is Enlarge ever since the update that removed enlarge from all beam spells. Spellcasters shouldn't need to fill their inventory with a lot of clickies like non-casters tend to do, so spending 9 inventory slots on level 1-9 spell components, and maybe 1-2 more slots for stoneskin, create undead, or whatever the divine special comp spells are isn't that significant.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dterror View Post
    Not all spells that use components are affected by Eschew Materials. Check the spell desc. in your spellbook to see if the feat is listed there.
    This is what renders Eschew largely useless; it doesn't work with the spells you would most want not to have to buy reagents for.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    This is what renders Eschew largely useless; it doesn't work with the spells you would most want not to have to buy reagents for.
    I am surprised. My bard had Eschew Materials for most of his life (I dumped it when he got Harmonic Resonance, which does same thing), and never ran into this problem. All Summon Monster spells worked just fine without components.

Or is it different for bards and for wizards?
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Quote Originally Posted by bledthorn View Post
    i have the wizards feat Eschew Materials however whenever i try to summon monster 1 with that ability on it keeps saying i dont have all the spell components for it what am i doing wrong
    Which summon monster spell are you using? Summon Monster I - IX or Create Undead?

Summon Monster should work, Create Undead will not as it has a special component.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    My bard had Eschew Materials for most of his life (I dumped it when he got Harmonic Resonance, which does same thing), and never ran into this problem. All Summon Monster spells worked just fine without components.
    That's because a lot of bard spells, inc. Summon Monster, have no material component. A lot of my bards only need components for lvl 3 & 4 spells (Haste, Displacement, FOM), which saves on inv slots compared to most casters.

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    On another note, eschew materials is a bit of a trap feat, as spell components aren't all that expensive unless you are very new and don't have much plat built up. I would recommend swapping it our for another metamagic feat as soon as you are comfortable with buying spell components.
    +1.

For the most part, it is a waste of a feat. My first wizzy had it, and I LRed (or maybe went to Fred) just to get rid of it. It is WAY too SP expensive to justify its use for a wizzy.

If you really want to have a summon without the spell components, buy the Summon Monster I scrolls, and use them in a quest. No spell components required, and it does not draw from your SP pool.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Quote Originally Posted by dterror View Post
    Of all the metamagics, the only feat more useless is Enlarge ever since the update that removed enlarge from all beam spells.
    I disagree - i enjoy being able to finger/charm/hold/MM machine gun things from extreme range
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.