Default House/Apartment ideas: Storage, Space and TP Costs.

Seeing as Storage is becoming a problem with the limited number of backpacks we can hold per toon, and given the influx of BTC items over the last few add-ons.

Also i understand Turbine needs revenue thru TP Purchases.

A Small instance room accessible thru a clicky Door. Usable PER CHARACTER ONLY, aka not shareable. Lasts thru TR.

VIP Instant Access. Giving a much needed perk to VIP.

4 Orange Hook Points.

Room by default has a Small Chest. (20 slots any item) and a Armor Rack (5 Armor slot items).

Turbine Points purchasable for Orange Hooks only:

1500TP = Apartment Key. (Grants access, free to VIP)

1000TP = Room Upgrade = 6 hook points.

500TP = Medium Chest (40 Slots)
    750TP = Large Chest (50 Slots)

500 TP = Large Armor Rack (10 Armor Slots)

500 TP = Accessory Cabinet (20 Accessories slots)
    750TP = Large Accessory Cabinet (40 Slots)

Ect Ect ect.

weapons rack
    scroll rack
    potion table
    wand cubby
    clothing armor
    pet pen
    ect ect

I would indeed buy MANY of these as storage is always a premium in DDO. Storage is one of the only things I would spend TP on as there is generally no in game equal.

We get Storage and Space + Turbine turns a continuous Profit = All Wins.

Any other ideas?

Remember, keep it simple and possibly something mechanically already in game. Copying or re-skinning an item/content is MUCH easier then building totally new code.

edit:deleted the attachment to guild airship section.
    Last edited by Thayion516; 12-16-2012 at 04:46 PM.

I can see where you are going with this but since it only benefits those in higher level guilds I would have to...

/not signed

If you wanted something purchasable then make one of the buildings in the marketplace and apartment building. Maybe make it a coin lord high favor accessible. You can unlock the benefit per toon once with coin lord favor or a combination of coin lord and house K favor. You can then rent for plat in game or buy your condo with TP. (Side note on the humorous side of thought. If you fail to pay your rent your stuff is thrown outside for anyone to take hehehe. Not really but just a thought in my head.)

The cost could be based on the size you need and you can upgrade similar you do with your bank account but its only accessible in the marketplace. You can only have one, noone should need infinite space. Then if you TR or find stuff you can put it in your apartment/armory.

I like the concept but I also am a firm believer in getting rid of stuff I dont need or will use. I have learned to manage my inventory space by not holding onto too many things.
    Enjoy yourself your time on earth is very short.

All Kyber toons - Xirthax (Paladin) : Xirth (Wizard) : Xirthtrix (Fighter) : Xorthtrox(Monk)

/Not signed.

An easier way would be for us to be able to earn more bank space with house K favor. Assuming they make more House K favor content.
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

You know what?

/signed

It's not a bad idea, in part. I'd say scrub the airship thing though. And really, don't just do a 'one in the marketplace' thing either.

Have a really basic one in the Harbor, more like a sailor's flophouse than an apartment. Advantage = Cheap.
    A kinda crappy one in the Marketplace, you know...tenements. But at least this one is an apartment. A bit more room.
    An average one in House Deneith, not too small, not too crappy.
    A pretty nice one in Lordsmarch (Summerfield District).
    And finally, a richly appointed one in the Lordsmarch Palace (a very nice room...not quite Coin Lord nice though). EXPENSIVE.

You can pay your rent in plat, which can get seriously draining for the high end stuff, namely the palace, /or/ you can buy a 'Coin Lords Lease Extension' with TP. One extension fits all, so it's probably a poor idea to TP your way through the flophouse rents.

This is in addition to buying storage. Could further jazz it up with trophies from raids completed, and even the ability to paint it, change the colors of the tapestries, etc.

People /will/ pay for those 'pointless' bells and whistles. There are plenty of players in MMO's who are more than willing to shell out $2 a pop for a table and chairs set.

/signed

people already use the AH like a Bus locker. Posting items for an outrageous amount for 3 days then sits in the mail box for 2 weeks so they have room for new loot but can hold on to interesting items at least for two weeks until they have to rent out the locker again.

not to mention all the crafting and challenge platforms that require collectable trade ins

epic mats, evening star mats, cannith challenges and alchemical mats, sora kells cauldron, vulkoor altar, dreamforge,

trace of madness upgrades.....

etc....etc......

apartments, lockers, airship bunks any of them would be a welcome addition game quality and revenue
    Farm astral diamonds in game. I've been playing for only a year + a bit but I already have 2 astral diamonds. 3 more and I'll be able to do something with them.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

While I"ll jump on just about any housing idea, I'd really rather see it not tied to guildships at all. Non-guilded players should have equal access to housing. And there is still a large list of non-guilded players at ever level on all the servers. Not everyone is into guilds.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

terrible idea to attach it to guilds or favor. Follow the route cryptic took over on champions online. pump out a few flavors of style, give each one a few more options to help diversify and then let us use tp to upgrade them further. I dont believe they should be something earned in game at all.

The development resources for such would be substantial and a direct pay off for it from us players will be needed to justify it.

Id happily shell out 50bucks for my own personal 2 story + basement home in the market. Make them really cool and it might even help encourage more RP to have private social hang outs etc.

What Id do is when you buy one get to assign it to one of a set number of locations doors so we can kind of pick and choose what part of the city we make our home in.

One could be a personal air ship yacht not having all the guild ammenities normal ships do, but rather a personal housing one.

homes and home upgrades are a great QoL item the store could be selling that would make tons of revenue without directly impacting game play in dungeons.

Post / not signed

A shared bank hold up to 80 items and 2.5 mil plat.
    A charters bank can hold up 100 items.
    A charters backpack can hold up to 100 item and over 4 mil plat and whatever you have equipped.

Hell, I've got 18 toons with max storage 3 maxed shared banks and my solo guilds storm glory typhoon is decked out with 2 large guild chests and 1 small guild chest and as a well organized hoarder all I can say is more space will just promote further hoarding.
    Guild: Alt's of Olidia, Hiding Spot of: Olidia

Quote Originally Posted by Rubiconn View Post
    If you wanted something purchasable then make one of the buildings in the marketplace and apartment building. Maybe make it a coin lord high favor accessible. You can unlock the benefit per toon once with coin lord favor or a combination of coin lord and house K favor.
    This has the makings of a great idea. It will take a couple of updates before we can get to 750 coin lords favor, but you could make the apartments/houses accessible through favor, and sell the unlock in the store. Remove the plat requirement completely, but sell amenities for the residence for plat.

Some Ideas:
    Trophy Case - Holds Named Items, cannot hold more than one of any given item, (20-50 slots?)
    Crafting Tables (This would also be a good place to introduce alchemy, but even just a set of the public crafting devices would be nice)
    Mailbox - Because you should be able to get mail at your house, right?
    400 House K favor might give bank/shared bank access as well.

Other Ideas/Suggestions?

Ok then .. Scrap the Guild Ship attachment. Its all relative anyways and ANYTHING can go/stay.

there are only 4 real requirements IMO.

1) Instance Room/Area (Place to call MINE)
    2) Item Storage/Addition (Badly needed in game)
    3) Turbine HAS to make a Profit in some fashion (they need to pay for the game)
    4) Simple to Understand / Implement (use hook points and just reskin the ship Chest)

It does not have to be huge or fancy. The more complicated it is, the more likely Turbine will not install it. And they have to make $$$.

When Everquest launched housing, people said it would tank because 'nobody wants to play house'. The masses who generally ignore forums however, proved them quite wrong.

Furniture, different housing styles, different textured walls, it all sells in the store, and sells pretty well apparently. Same is true for EQ2. I haven't played other games with housing, but from what I hear it's generally a very popular thing, and people will dump RL cash on it in an instant. They'll tailor the housing to look the way they want, and if they have the ability to show it off, they will, in a heartbeat.

If it's a robust enough housing system, they'll even compete with each other in giant forum threadnaughts of housing pictures to see who's got the coolest-looking house.

I suspect that housing in DDO would be no different. Might even draw additional players to the game, and help them feel connected to the game world, and invested in the story. After all, if the Truthful One's actions will destroy Xendrik, roleplayers will be even more concerned if they actually have a house there. And semi-roleplayers. And even the soloers who are effectively roleplaying with themselves as they craft (through quest choices) the story of their character, from nekkid shipwreckee, to godsbane.

Let them set their creature companions to roam the housing randomly performing their tricks. People will buy more creature companions for that, in addition to buying housing and paying upkeep on it (be it as platsink or TP). And the more you let them personalize it, the more they'll pay to do just that.

Housing is a cash-cow. That should have been apparant the moment Smedley gave the green light to implementing it for EQ. Turbine, I rarely say this, but follow Smedley's example. He was right about that. You /will/ make money.

Quote Originally Posted by fmalfeas View Post
    When Everquest launched housing, people said it would tank because 'nobody wants to play house'. The masses who generally ignore forums however, proved them quite wrong.

Furniture, different housing styles, different textured walls, it all sells in the store, and sells pretty well apparently. Same is true for EQ2. I haven't played other games with housing, but from what I hear it's generally a very popular thing, and people will dump RL cash on it in an instant. They'll tailor the housing to look the way they want, and if they have the ability to show it off, they will, in a heartbeat.

If it's a robust enough housing system, they'll even compete with each other in giant forum threadnaughts of housing pictures to see who's got the coolest-looking house.

I suspect that housing in DDO would be no different. Might even draw additional players to the game, and help them feel connected to the game world, and invested in the story. After all, if the Truthful One's actions will destroy Xendrik, roleplayers will be even more concerned if they actually have a house there. And semi-roleplayers. And even the soloers who are effectively roleplaying with themselves as they craft (through quest choices) the story of their character, from nekkid shipwreckee, to godsbane.

Let them set their creature companions to roam the housing randomly performing their tricks. People will buy more creature companions for that, in addition to buying housing and paying upkeep on it (be it as platsink or TP). And the more you let them personalize it, the more they'll pay to do just that.

Housing is a cash-cow. That should have been apparant the moment Smedley gave the green light to implementing it for EQ. Turbine, I rarely say this, but follow Smedley's example. He was right about that. You /will/ make money.
    Everquest2 has the best Housing and Guild Hall features in the MMORPG industry. DDO has done many things right, but EQ2 got this feature right.
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Housing

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I'm not sure how massive the developement investment mentioned above would be, they already have this in LoTRO, so they've done a lot of the ground work already. It could just be a matter of tweaking the decor and pricing depending on how similar the basic coding of ddo and LoTRO is. I never played Eq or EQ2, but the housing was one of the driving factors in LoTRO for most of the people I met (they were reasonably expensive, and you felt like you had achieved something when you could afford one). And the ongoing in game coin rent/tax/whatever you want to call it was a great plat sink motivating people to keep questing/crafting/however they earned their coins.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by stubythumb View Post
    A shared bank hold up to 80 items and 2.5 mil plat.
    A charters bank can hold up 100 items.
    A charters backpack can hold up to 100 item and over 4 mil plat and whatever you have equipped.

Hell, I've got 18 toons with max storage 3 maxed shared banks and my solo guilds storm glory typhoon is decked out with 2 large guild chests and 1 small guild chest and as a well organized hoarder all I can say is more space will just promote further hoarding.
    There is too much moving around when you have 2-3 bank alts and you spend hours switching between them and your main characters.

A kind of private storage room with hook points, themed like the Portable Hole tavern would be a great thing.

Community Member

housing would make money.

could be done like a guild ship instance, only with a different door.

the more you can customize the more people will use/like/spend on it.

this is the reason i have a guild ship. I can see people who are in a large guild, and don't want thier own personal guild, would like having such a thing.

i do question about hook points as guilds have to earn the different things they can put on thier ships, after earning thier ship. how would you address that? unless the house hooks are more just decorative things. ie. bed, table, ect.

There are several quests I'd would like to have as a stronghold.

Delirium has almost everything: tavern, bedrooms, library, kitchen, basement...only lacks the hatchery.

Complete the quest and then have an option to turn it into your own place.
    Higher level quests would have more amenities.

I've been through Raiding the Giants' Vault so many times it should now be my own bat cave.

Default Give us housing

Quote Originally Posted by fmalfeas View Post
    (...snip)
    Housing is a cash-cow. (snip...)
    Many good points made in here. I firmly stand in the housing camp.

For those that didn't sign because they think that people need to learn to manage their inventories or whatever, the same could be said at any level of scrutiny; some players might say that you shouldn't be able to have a bank account. Others might say that paying to have another inventor slot is unacceptable.

I think we should be given flexibility and freedom, not limits.

And I personally think that the best point was made by fmalfeas when he mentioned that anything that invests a player more in the game world is good. Guilds are good, unique character identities are good, and feeling as if you're building something more than just a 20 rogue in Xen'drik is good. More investment, more money, more success, more content.
    Character Compendium

Agreed wholeheartedly. Instanced housing is the way to go.

Devs please go take a look at the housing in Wizard101 (yeah i know, it's a kiddie game, go look anyways). It's a well thought out system. Players can decorate, store gear, craft, and even 'invite' visitors.

Something like this would be VERY popular here, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

/Not Signed....
    Officer Of Templar - Now Recruiting
    KennyBurns - Electric Savant DPS~ KennyFails The Completionist - Rogue Stick Life 15/15 Completionist ~ KennyHeals - Fvs Healer~ KennyRanges - TWF Manyshoot Of Cannith

Would it be possible to put in things like a Armor Model? You could equipt a nice set of armor on it and it would show up OR mount weapons on the Wall so u can see them?