Default Human sorceror concepts

I'm considering running a couple/few quickie sorceror lives for evo dcs for my eventual final life as cleric, and wanted to get a feel for build concepts I can use.

For flavor reasons I only play humans, and I mostly solo so self-healing is pretty high on my priority list.

Since I only care about this for past lives, I'll be TRing as soon as I hit 20 each time. No destiny grind, no favor requirements, etc... I do have a greater tome of learning.

So things like 9 sorc/3 pally/8 cleric (just to throw out a random idea) would be fine by me. I don't need to be able to run elite amrath, nor do I need greensteel.

I'm a 100+ crafter in all schools and can easily get whatever twink gear I need on my wizard lives, which I'm doing first.

Thanks much in advance.

EDIT: I'm leaning toward 17/3 sorc/artificer, spending a feat on Construct Essence to gain 50% healing from repair spells.

Community Member

Hey there,

Well as I'm sure you know, for self-healing the warforged sorc would be supreme with repair spells. You said you want to be human, which is fine. If you aren't planning on doing particularly hard content regularly, I don't see any reason why healing potions couldn't carry you from 1-20 for healing. A sorc can quite often nuke his opponents without taking any damage, and has enough tricks up his sleeve to escape and heal with pots if needed.

Your construct essence idea is not bad as well, but I don't think the 3 levels of art would be worth it. That is 3 levels longer to get your better spells. I would just go pure Sorc. Of all the classes, Sorc especially doesn't fare well with multiclassing. They are already a level behind on spells compared to a Wizard, they have a limited selection of spells, and they start suffering SP penalties when they multiclass.

Most people play a Sorc in one of a few ways:
    Elemental nuker, picking one of the four Savant Prestiges.
    Focused CC/Insta-Kill
    Warforged Melee Battlemage

The elemental nuker is most certainly your best choice. So you need to pick an element to focus on. Each element heavily lowers the potential of its opposite spell school, making the damage spells mostly unusable (non-damage spells like buffs are fine):

Fire - Very strong early on, and only really suffers later because a lot of opponents are resistant/immune to fire. Prevents using Cold spells as well, which are the natural counter to those fire-immune monsters usually.

Water - Strong start to finish. Misses out of Firewall which is incredible from 8-14ish, but has Ice Storm which is about 75% as good. Great single target nukes, and a couple good aoe nukes. Suffers to some ice-immune monsters, but murders fire-immune monsters. Prevents using Fire spells.

Earth - Focused on Damage Over Time. It is a little slow to start, but has some very potent spells later on such as Acid Rain for AOE and Black Dragon Bolt for Single Target. It can be a little slow compared to other savants, but has a big advantage that practically nothing is immune to acid besides I believe one or two oozes or something. Prevents using Air spells.

Air - An interesting choice. Spell for spell air usually ends up being weaker than its fire or ice counterpart, but has the advantage of less immunities to it. A big advantage of Air Savant is it doesn't prevent using Fire or Ice, which are generally the most potent options and can also exploit weaknesses in targets most often. Think of air as the most versatile, with none of its nukes doing the most damage, but having the most options in a fight. Prevents using Earth spells.

I personally would recommend Fire until about 12-13, then switch to either Water or Earth until 20.

Community Member

active past life cleric for (some) self healing? perhaps dipping bard 1 for easy umd and some devotion

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    active past life cleric for (some) self healing? perhaps dipping bard 1 for easy umd and some devotion
    That's an interesting thought. He's currently a capped cleric now, so that would require no extra grind.

Just finished my 19th shroud, so on tuesday I can make his hp and sp items (smoke & concop), cleanse one and tr.

Community Member

Red face

You could go with a fleshy version of the old Tukaw build 16 sorc/ 2 pali/ 2 rogue you get a healthy dose of sorc spells and SP and evasion and trap skills and really good saves thanks to the 2 pali adding your CHA bonus to them also a couple Lay on Hands for emergency heals.

There have been people who have done it on fleshys before with success. you loose the instant heals of the WF but can make do with heal scrolls esp if your soloing and dont mind the slower runs.

I remembered this page and dug it up if you wanna see a fleshy Tukaw build in action

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=227716

That page has links to 12 different videos of different level quests being soloed by a fleshy Tukaw

Oh, I should probably mention that I'm fine using silver flame pots; wizard lives come first, and I can easily stock up then.

Is the cha penalty on sf pots crippling to a sorc?

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Oh, I should probably mention that I'm fine using silver flame pots; wizard lives come first, and I can easily stock up then.

Probably depends on what you're doing, I'd imagine (I've never used them on a caster, myself.)

If you're DOTing a boss, no big deal. If you're trying to land a lightning bolt on some archers, might be a problem.

Edit: I'm working on an experimental sorc right now. I took one level of fighter to get the armor and shield proficiencies, so that I can make an armored caster. I'm half-elf, though, so I have access to the Elven Arcane Fluidity enhancements, which you wouldn't have as a human. It's... well, it's pretty gimpy right now, to be honest.

I think one level of arti would be a good addition, just to have UMD as a class skill for self-heals. You'd also get a few extra spell points and trap skills if you so chose.
    Last edited by CheeseMilk; 12-15-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Community Member

Easiest would be 2rogue/16sorc Water savant with Earth as second.
    2rogue give you full UMD, Evasion, bunch of skillpoints
    Water savant gives you excellent SLA, Ice-storm as long dot, niacs/frostlance to burst
    Earth as second gives you the AoE that is effective against 99% of the enemys Acid-Rain / Blast

Using scroll/rod healing soon saves you tons of sp that would go wasted for half the heal with reconstruct.

leveling order would be something like
    1rogue
    8sorc
    1rogue (or barb)
    rest

optional
    exchange 1rogue lvl for barb, speed/hp is always nice.
    i know you said human but i cant remain silent :9 helf with paladin dille would be great if you go 2rogue.
    maybe increase int and invest in search/DD so you dont have to wait on trapper, in that case i would go for 2rogue makes it a lot easier on the skillpoints.

Equip
    go for shield and scroll,
    makes selfhealing lazy and fast and rockboots and crafted ice item/challenge robe

well anyway sorc is king for leveling aslong as your saves are ok, you got reliable healing and your DC doesnt suck.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

if your looking for speeding through these levels I would take multiclassing off the table as they only really shine at cap. The faster you get to the next level of spells the faster you'll run through the content you need.

Acid is the popular main with a side of fire or cold I would personally have. DBF or Otukiles are insane damage once you reach those levels. (you'll find them often clearing rooms).

I went fire with a side of acid in my last life to get my DBF even more effective at 14 and during lower levels I found fire mostly effective with acid preforming well enough when needed.

self healing at low levels is easy with pots. higher levels you won't need to heal much if played cautiously.

Edited: hail silver pot goodness
    Last edited by Tirisha; 12-16-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Real life is a worse grind than any MMO.
    Sarlona:
    Tirisha 25 FVS, Aierian 25 MNK, Girltank 18 FTR/ 2PALLY/5 EPIC, Seidra 25 SORC, Wikka 20 WIZ, Kylexi 20 PALLY, Stephony 20 Bard

ah answered my question.... I think you'll find that enemies die horribly from your dps even when they pass their reflex saves.... and with only a -5 for DC most enemies that typically fail reflex saves might just fail anyways...

on a side note the str penalty is more crippling as it can slow you down, so you might want to consider taking a decent base str or wearing all the appropriate str items while keeping your pack rather empty.
    Last edited by Tirisha; 12-16-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Real life is a worse grind than any MMO.
    Sarlona:
    Tirisha 25 FVS, Aierian 25 MNK, Girltank 18 FTR/ 2PALLY/5 EPIC, Seidra 25 SORC, Wikka 20 WIZ, Kylexi 20 PALLY, Stephony 20 Bard

Community Member

Personally, I had a blast running my pure sorc WF, no issues with self healing, really good nuking abilities, just generally a lot of fun. I personally don't see much reason to splash on caster builds.

I'd stay pure for sure. WF have the luxury of throwing two or three spells to kill a mob as you have uninterruptable burst healing, fleshies don't really (unless in a group). So you need maximum impact from each spell - you want your DBFs/Meteor Swarms to clean out rooms.

I'd also look at optimizing instant AoE spell damage, which means going Fire/Elec. Acid is incredible when you can take a hit or two to abuse Acid Rain but you aren't in that situation. Fire brings Fireball, DBF and for the last million XP the incredible Meteor Swarm (which is really good post spellpower changes, take it over Wail as your level 18 spell), Elec gives you Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning. Air Savant is better 18+, Fire Savant probably better to 17.

For CC, solo you'll use damage spells and grouped (where you can't one or two-shot as much) you'll use Greater Shout to make mobs sit for a few seconds.

Statswise I'd advise 14 Dex (for Reflex saves), 16 Con, 18 Cha and any extra points from past lives in Str for carrying capacity or Int for skills.

You will be amazing against anything slow moving and your weaknesses will be teleporting mobs and high-Reflex save evasion mobs.

Finally, do you have Shroud mats to burn? If so, a healing amp 10/20/30 stick will make life a lot easier. Offhand it and Cure Serious wands via UMD are relevant in the mid teen levels, and in a pinch you can swing it at an undead.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Lotta great suggestions, thanks much all!

A little more background info so you know what where I coming from and what I'm looking for. For role-play reasons I always play humans in videogames, even specialing in terrans back in my starcraft days. I like the idea of humans standing against the tide.

My cleric (currently 28pt first lifer @ level 21) was a healbot and I hated leveling him. I used the free LR to switch him to necro-focused, and his destruction dc is a pathetic 36. He can barely solo level 19 content on normal. The new plan for him is properly specced for insta-kills, and he should reach 45 necro dc and 44 evo dc with 38 spell pen, which is close to exactly what I would want. (A few more necro dcs would be nice, but oh well.)

To reach the 38 spell pen without spending any AP on it I'm doing two quickie wizard lives next. As said above, his 20th shroud is tuesday so I have at least a month before needing to worry about sorc specifics. I never actually planned on sorc lives, but someone mentioned the evo dc past life bonus in another thread and that could be a huge benefit to this build. 44 for bb and implosion is passable; 47 would be almost decent.

I have 4 capped alts, a 100+ crafter and a dedicated challenge farmer, so gear is pretty easy to get. Since this would be strictly for past lives, there are really only 18 levels to worry about in terms of a build.

My computer runs the game fine, except acid rain grinds my computer to a halt. So I can't get much value out of acid, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    I'd also look at optimizing instant AoE spell damage, which means going Fire/Elec. Acid is incredible when you can take a hit or two to abuse Acid Rain but you aren't in that situation. Fire brings Fireball, DBF and for the last million XP the incredible Meteor Swarm (which is really good post spellpower changes, take it over Wail as your level 18 spell), Elec gives you Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning. Air Savant is better 18+, Fire Savant probably better to 17.

For CC, solo you'll use damage spells and grouped (where you can't one or two-shot as much) you'll use Greater Shout to make mobs sit for a few seconds.
    I like this idea a lot.

I'm wondering if 1 or 2 splash levels just for feats (1 wizard 1 monk, maybe?) might be worth it? How tight are feats on a sorc?

I will never play a TR caster life again without a 1 barb splash - especially if I'm trying to be quick.

I recently did a sorc life.

I chose Earth savant more out of curiosity than anything else and I still grin just thinking of how fun he was to play.

One of his SLAs is Earthgrab and I cannot even begin to explain how powerful that is! Encounter dangerous monster: cast Earthgrab, cast dragon bolt, ignore monster. Sure acid spells are not the fastest killers out there but they get the job done and almost nothing resists them.

One benefit of Earth savants is they that they have less need for high DCs. Drinking a SF pot once in a while should not hurt, but I still recommend to avoid them if possible as you risk wasting sp.

Being a sorcerer you will naturally have a high UMD if you dump your skills points there, so scroll healing becomes very viable.

Because DCs are less imporant, I chose WF. To be honest: I think I cast Reconstruct only a dozen of times that life. Earth savants are a lot more defensive in nature than the others, due to Earthgrab and a healthy variation of single target/AOE spells.

So I recommend a human pure Earth savant with ice as backup skill. If you already have a cleric past life, you will find a nice symbiosis between Earth savants and the passive cleric past life feat anyway.

Alternaively mix in 2 monk levels for evasion + bonus feat. Again, the slightly lower DCs don't really matter but I am more concerned about the slower spell progression.

I'm starting to waver on my hardline human-only stance; I just can't stomach low self-sufficiency.

In regards to the damage lines, is there a special "secondary element" enhancement line? Like, where you make enemies weaker against it, sort of a secondary prestige? I'm not seeing anything other than the standard damage lines.

If it's just standard damage lines and avoiding the opposite of your savant line (since that offers reduced effect) I'm thinking force might be fun for a secondary line. It hits everything and also buffs ice storm, which would be a nice synergy. Any thoughts on ice + force instead of ice + elec or ice + acid?

In regards to the damage lines, is there a special "secondary element" enhancement line? Like, where you make enemies weaker against it, sort of a secondary prestige? I'm not seeing anything other than the standard damage lines.
    Not completely sure what you mean, but you only get "awaken elemental weakness: X" from your prestige, and you can only have one prestige line. It's not like Archmage where you can take multiple lines.

If it's just standard damage lines and avoiding the opposite of your savant line (since that offers reduced effect) I'm thinking force might be fun for a secondary line. It hits everything and also buffs ice storm, which would be a nice synergy. Any thoughts on ice + force instead of ice + elec or ice + acid?
    Force will not buff Ice Storm if you have ice already; the highest of the two will apply. Buffing Disint is fun, but there's no way on a sorc force is as good as elec or acid.

Community Member

Since your not fokked on end game with the build Id suggest a 16 sorc/2pal/2monk split with a heavy focus on dex,wis, and chr. between a flurry of light but effective unarmed blows and your spells ( I went air sorc and even shocking grasp SLA is amazing for a huge spread of lvls) I called my the Aang the avatar build as I felt the divine and monk connected to a air fokked sorcerer would feel like it, and its really does. granted mine was a halfling named zaang for kicks

I mainly used the staff of nat gann( not the most ideal weapon but again it felt right for my flavor build and worked well enough) and swapped to some frost festival force handwraps of bleeding with frost fest cold spell power at higher lvls( I tried to use fire,air and water with fair regularity to rep aang style and again it held its own well I didnt feel any slow down at all till around lvl 12ish which is common for alot in DDO.

Its definatly alot of fun to mix arcane with martial arts, and although meleeing with a squishy who doesnt regen might not sound sane, it pushes the quick and the dead fighting style, as long as you win you can recover, and losing isnt easy when your the ...AVATAR