Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...

Default The Hobbit: Yea Or Nay?

I haven't seen it yet (probably will next week), but I have just read about ten reviews. It seems the main complaints are that it feels padded in places, the running time is a bit long and that the HFR 48 FPS is just not worth it/makes things look too TV movie-ish. I can live with that as I planned to see it in regular 2D anyway.

So, anyone seen it yet? What say you?
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

I'm just looking forward to seeing Watson and hearing Sherlock before Season 3 comes out in 2013... and eating theater popcorn for almost 3 hours

So I say "Yay!"
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    I haven't seen it yet (probably will next week), but I have just read about ten reviews. It seems the main complaints are that it feels padded in places, the running time is a bit long and that the HFR 48 FPS is just not worth it/makes things look too TV movie-ish. I can live with that as I planned to see it in regular 2D anyway.

So, anyone seen it yet? What say you?
    Have not heard any complaints from my friends who have already seen it, all them recommend it.

Pretty much it has the same complaints as when The Fellowship of the Ring came out. Really won't be able to judge for a couple of years when the 3rd and final movie comes out, until then... its unfinished.

Also these same reviewers would say the same thing about the book as well...
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Phidius View Post
    I'm just looking forward to seeing Watson and hearing Sherlock before Season 3 comes out in 2013... and eating theater popcorn for almost 3 hours

So I say "Yay!"
    Heh...

I'd like more than 3 Episodes a season however...

Community Member

It comes out today and its only noon here so nope havent seen it.

Read the reviews, formed the opinion that people will gripe no matter what. Would rather have seen the originals padded with more content as they were awfully short and left out so much stuff. Not going to complain about taking the time to turn Hobbit into a movie that might include most of the book's content.

The 48 fps is just a culture thing. When it becomes standard people will stop complaining about it. I remember when Dolby sound first appeared. Ruined the movie all that noise coming from everywhere. What happened to good old stereo?

Plan to see the film Saturday in IMAX 3D. And, I plan on popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    The 48 fps is just a culture thing. When it becomes standard people will stop complaining about it.

I'm not so sure about that. Not one article or review I have read says that it is an improvement or will "blow you away". The nicest thing I read was that it was "tolerable". That's hardly an incentive to go pay more to see a movie. But as you pointed out, time will tell.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

I am pretty sure they are so long and ended up going three movies is because I am pretty sure they are going to be bringing more detail to the banishment of Sauron in Southern Mirkwood.

This never went into any kind of great detail in the book.

The cool thing about the Hobbit is it's one not too long book spread out over 3 movies........the thing about the Lord of the Ring movies is even tho the extended versions were quite long each book could have easily been made into 3 movies apiece LOL

I mean they left out some pretty cool stuff......like for instance in the Fellowship...the journey they took into the Old Forest and through the Barrow Downs......that would have been cool.

Bree and the Prancing Pony was also quite a bit more eventful.

I am reading the 12 vol. History series now...but it takes forever......that stuff is complicated to read

Oh BTW...YAY!

Scratt for president!!!!

/grammar nazi on

yay (yā) U.S. Dial. adj 1 This many; this much. 2 Ever so many: for yay years. —adv 1 To this extent. 2 Ever so: yay big. [Cf. G je ever]

yea (yā) adv 1 Yes: used to express affirmation or assent: in this sense now superseded by yes 2 Not only so, but more so: to intensify or amplify a meaning: fifty, yea, a hundred: an archaic term. 3 In reality; verily: a form of introduction in a sentence. —n An expression of affirmation; an affirmative vote; by extention, one who casts such a vote. [OE gēa]

/grammar nazi off

Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    /grammar nazi on

yay (yā) U.S. Dial. adj 1 This many; this much. 2 Ever so many: for yay years. —adv 1 To this extent. 2 Ever so: yay big. [Cf. G je ever]

yea (yā) adv 1 Yes: used to express affirmation or assent: in this sense now superseded by yes 2 Not only so, but more so: to intensify or amplify a meaning: fifty, yea, a hundred: an archaic term. 3 In reality; verily: a form of introduction in a sentence. —n An expression of affirmation; an affirmative vote; by extention, one who casts such a vote. [OE gēa]

/grammar nazi off

You're mean!!!!...I'm telling Gandalf.....and Thorin....and Gloin and Oin and all the others....by the time we are through with you you'll be lucky to say yay or yea

Scratt for president!!!!

I saw it last night.

The 48fps thing was no issue for me at all, I thought it did make the picture seem clearer. Reviewers talk about "higher resolution" which of course it isn't--but the effect on the eye reads, "higher resolution," so after seeing it I can't blame them.

Like with LOTR, there was a lot of brilliant mixed in with a lot of stupidity, particularly with the action scenes. If you rolled your eyes at Legolas' journey up the oliphant, you'll do some significant eye rolling in this one too. Suffice to say everyone in the party has greater than epic evasion, and con scores and reflex saves in the triple digits.

Gollum was for me the highlight. Seemed almost the most real thing in the whole movie. How you'll react to Radagast will likely depend on what mood you are in. If you don't know what he is there for, you'll almost certainly hate him. I found the songs well done and well integrated into the film without feeling completely silly, which I consider a masterful achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by vVvAiaynAvVv View Post
    I am pretty sure they are so long and ended up going three movies is because I am pretty sure they are going to be bringing more detail to the banishment of Sauron in Southern Mirkwood....
    Ohhh, I kinda want to see that!

I'm torn about whether I want the Silmarillion made into a movie. I think it'd be an amazing experience to watch it, but I think it will "shrink" the epicosity (hehehe) of the story all the more.

Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    I saw it last night.

The 48fps thing was no issue for me at all, I thought it did make the picture seem clearer. Reviewers talk about "higher resolution" which of course it isn't--but the effect on the eye reads, "higher resolution," so after seeing it I can't blame them.

Like with LOTR, there was a lot of brilliant mixed in with a lot of stupidity, particularly with the action scenes. If you rolled your eyes at Legolas' journey up the oliphant, you'll do some significant eye rolling in this one too. Suffice to say everyone in the party has greater than epic evasion, and con scores and reflex saves in the triple digits.

Gollum was for me the highlight. Seemed almost the most real thing in the whole movie. How you'll react to Radagast will likely depend on what mood you are in. If you don't know what he is there for, you'll almost certainly hate him. I found the songs well done and well integrated into the film without feeling completely silly, which I consider a masterful achievement.
    Glad they put Radagast in - did they toss Tom Bombadil and the barrow wights in?

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    I'm torn about whether I want the Silmarillion made into a movie. I think it'd be an amazing experience to watch it, but I think it will "shrink" the epicosity (hehehe) of the story all the more.
    Not going to happen (at least not anytime soon) as the Tolkien family will not give up the rights to that property.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Oh I plant to see it, but my wife doesn't care for 3 D so the 2D version for me...

But you can't have a Bilbo Bagins Thread without...

This.

Boy I bet he regrets this now...
    Official Muskateers Bartender
    Proud Officer of Acme Fighting Co.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)

Quote Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
    Oh I plant to see it, but my wife doesn't care for 3 D so the 2D version for me...

But you can't have a Bilbo Bagins Thread without...

This.

Boy I bet he regrets this now...

Gee, it only took fifteen posts for this to rear its ugly head.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Quote Originally Posted by vVvAiaynAvVv View Post
    You're mean!!!!...I'm telling Gandalf.....and Thorin....and Gloin and Oin and all the others....by the time we are through with you you'll be lucky to say yay or yea
    So I guess that pointing out that you (plural) are even using "yay" (in this case short for "hooray") incorrectly would be totally off of the table?
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    Glad they put Radagast in - did they toss Tom Bombadil and the barrow wights in?
    I really hope not. Wrong book.

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    I really hope not. Wrong book.
    I can say you'll be really surprised at who the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor is.

Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    I can say you'll be really surprised at who the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor is.
    Yeah, and that part where the Witch King of Angmar tells Bilbo that he is his father after cutting off his hand was really out of the blue!
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast