Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Community Member Ganolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...
    Posts
    2,344

    Default The Hobbit: Yea Or Nay?

    I haven't seen it yet (probably will next week), but I have just read about ten reviews. It seems the main complaints are that it feels padded in places, the running time is a bit long and that the HFR 48 FPS is just not worth it/makes things look too TV movie-ish. I can live with that as I planned to see it in regular 2D anyway.

    So, anyone seen it yet? What say you?
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

  2. #2
    Community Member Phidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,592

    Default

    I'm just looking forward to seeing Watson and hearing Sherlock before Season 3 comes out in 2013... and eating theater popcorn for almost 3 hours

    So I say "Yay!"
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

  3. #3
    Community Member Grosbeak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    7,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phidius View Post
    I'm just looking forward to seeing Watson and hearing Sherlock before Season 3 comes out in 2013... and eating theater popcorn for almost 3 hours

    So I say "Yay!"
    Heh...

    I'd like more than 3 Episodes a season however...
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

  4. #4
    Community Member Olath_Senger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phidius View Post
    I'm just looking forward to seeing Watson and hearing Sherlock before Season 3 comes out in 2013... and eating theater popcorn for almost 3 hours

    So I say "Yay!"
    Benedict Cumbersmaug and Marbo Bagman.
    Vailun, Level 6 Paladin/6 Ranger/2 Monk (Gimped/Semi-retired) || Syrtho, Level 16 Pale Master || Vologrith, Level 17 Monk || Vistentelas, Level 11 Favored Soul || Veryon, Level 5 Artificer || Katakira, Level 2 Monk/1 Fighter/1 Wizard |

  5. #5
    Community Member Grosbeak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Thelanis
    Posts
    7,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    I haven't seen it yet (probably will next week), but I have just read about ten reviews. It seems the main complaints are that it feels padded in places, the running time is a bit long and that the HFR 48 FPS is just not worth it/makes things look too TV movie-ish. I can live with that as I planned to see it in regular 2D anyway.

    So, anyone seen it yet? What say you?
    Have not heard any complaints from my friends who have already seen it, all them recommend it.

    Pretty much it has the same complaints as when The Fellowship of the Ring came out. Really won't be able to judge for a couple of years when the 3rd and final movie comes out, until then... its unfinished.

    Also these same reviewers would say the same thing about the book as well...
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    803

    Default

    It comes out today and its only noon here so nope havent seen it.

  7. #7
    Community Member Therigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,316

    Default

    Read the reviews, formed the opinion that people will gripe no matter what. Would rather have seen the originals padded with more content as they were awfully short and left out so much stuff. Not going to complain about taking the time to turn Hobbit into a movie that might include most of the book's content.

    The 48 fps is just a culture thing. When it becomes standard people will stop complaining about it. I remember when Dolby sound first appeared. Ruined the movie all that noise coming from everywhere. What happened to good old stereo?

    Plan to see the film Saturday in IMAX 3D. And, I plan on popcorn.

  8. #8
    Community Member Ganolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    The 48 fps is just a culture thing. When it becomes standard people will stop complaining about it.

    I'm not so sure about that. Not one article or review I have read says that it is an improvement or will "blow you away". The nicest thing I read was that it was "tolerable". That's hardly an incentive to go pay more to see a movie. But as you pointed out, time will tell.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

  9. #9
    The Hatchery vVvAiaynAvVv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,582

    Default

    I am pretty sure they are so long and ended up going three movies is because I am pretty sure they are going to be bringing more detail to the banishment of Sauron in Southern Mirkwood.

    This never went into any kind of great detail in the book.

    The cool thing about the Hobbit is it's one not too long book spread out over 3 movies........the thing about the Lord of the Ring movies is even tho the extended versions were quite long each book could have easily been made into 3 movies apiece LOL

    I mean they left out some pretty cool stuff......like for instance in the Fellowship...the journey they took into the Old Forest and through the Barrow Downs......that would have been cool.

    Bree and the Prancing Pony was also quite a bit more eventful.

    I am reading the 12 vol. History series now...but it takes forever......that stuff is complicated to read

    Oh BTW...YAY!

    Scratt for president!!!!

  10. #10
    Community Member fco-karatekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vVvAiaynAvVv View Post
    I am pretty sure they are so long and ended up going three movies is because I am pretty sure they are going to be bringing more detail to the banishment of Sauron in Southern Mirkwood....
    Ohhh, I kinda want to see that!

    I'm torn about whether I want the Silmarillion made into a movie. I think it'd be an amazing experience to watch it, but I think it will "shrink" the epicosity (hehehe) of the story all the more.

  11. #11
    Community Member Ganolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    I'm torn about whether I want the Silmarillion made into a movie. I think it'd be an amazing experience to watch it, but I think it will "shrink" the epicosity (hehehe) of the story all the more.
    Not going to happen (at least not anytime soon) as the Tolkien family will not give up the rights to that property.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

  12. #12
    Community Member Ganolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    /grammar nazi on


    yay (yā) U.S. Dial. adj 1 This many; this much. 2 Ever so many: for yay years. —adv 1 To this extent. 2 Ever so: yay big. [Cf. G je ever]


    yea (yā) adv 1 Yes: used to express affirmation or assent: in this sense now superseded by yes 2 Not only so, but more so: to intensify or amplify a meaning: fifty, yea, a hundred: an archaic term. 3 In reality; verily: a form of introduction in a sentence. —n An expression of affirmation; an affirmative vote; by extention, one who casts such a vote. [OE gēa]


    /grammar nazi off


    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

  13. #13
    The Hatchery vVvAiaynAvVv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    /grammar nazi on


    yay (yā) U.S. Dial. adj 1 This many; this much. 2 Ever so many: for yay years. —adv 1 To this extent. 2 Ever so: yay big. [Cf. G je ever]


    yea (yā) adv 1 Yes: used to express affirmation or assent: in this sense now superseded by yes 2 Not only so, but more so: to intensify or amplify a meaning: fifty, yea, a hundred: an archaic term. 3 In reality; verily: a form of introduction in a sentence. —n An expression of affirmation; an affirmative vote; by extention, one who casts such a vote. [OE gēa]


    /grammar nazi off


    You're mean!!!!...I'm telling Gandalf.....and Thorin....and Gloin and Oin and all the others....by the time we are through with you you'll be lucky to say yay or yea

    Scratt for president!!!!

  14. #14
    Community Member Ganolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vVvAiaynAvVv View Post
    You're mean!!!!...I'm telling Gandalf.....and Thorin....and Gloin and Oin and all the others....by the time we are through with you you'll be lucky to say yay or yea
    So I guess that pointing out that you (plural) are even using "yay" (in this case short for "hooray") incorrectly would be totally off of the table?
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

  15. #15
    The Hatchery vVvAiaynAvVv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    So I guess that pointing out that you (plural) are even using "yay" (in this case short for "hooray") incorrectly would be totally off of the table?
    Absolutely.....you must be one of Glorund's offspring.....filthy dragon

    Scratt for president!!!!

  16. #16
    Community Member Dhalgren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    /grammar nazi on


    yay (yā) U.S. Dial. adj 1 This many; this much. 2 Ever so many: for yay years. —adv 1 To this extent. 2 Ever so: yay big. [Cf. G je ever]


    yea (yā) adv 1 Yes: used to express affirmation or assent: in this sense now superseded by yes 2 Not only so, but more so: to intensify or amplify a meaning: fifty, yea, a hundred: an archaic term. 3 In reality; verily: a form of introduction in a sentence. —n An expression of affirmation; an affirmative vote; by extention, one who casts such a vote. [OE gēa]


    /grammar nazi off


    /grammar ally on

    yay (jeɪ)

    — interj
    informal an exclamation indicating approval, congratulation, or triumph

    /grammar ally off

    *Ducks and runs for cover*
    Heatherx Rgr12/Arti6/Rog2 (PL: 3 Wiz; 1 FvS; 2 Sor; 1 Clr; 1 Arti; 1 Rog)
    Toryen Warchanter 22 ~ Treslyn Cleric 24 ~ Lohikaerme Druid 23 ~ Khenshii Monk 20

    Heroes of Light and Darkness ~ Argonnessen

  17. #17
    Hatchery Hero BOgre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middlonowhere, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    retracted
    Last edited by BOgre; 12-15-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

  18. #18
    The Hatchery vVvAiaynAvVv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    retracted
    You have got to be kidding me...what kind of ogre are you?!?!?!?!

    Scratt for president!!!!

  19. #19
    Community Member arminius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,949

    Default

    I saw it last night.

    The 48fps thing was no issue for me at all, I thought it did make the picture seem clearer. Reviewers talk about "higher resolution" which of course it isn't--but the effect on the eye reads, "higher resolution," so after seeing it I can't blame them.

    Like with LOTR, there was a lot of brilliant mixed in with a lot of stupidity, particularly with the action scenes. If you rolled your eyes at Legolas' journey up the oliphant, you'll do some significant eye rolling in this one too. Suffice to say everyone in the party has greater than epic evasion, and con scores and reflex saves in the triple digits.

    Gollum was for me the highlight. Seemed almost the most real thing in the whole movie. How you'll react to Radagast will likely depend on what mood you are in. If you don't know what he is there for, you'll almost certainly hate him. I found the songs well done and well integrated into the film without feeling completely silly, which I consider a masterful achievement.
    __________________
    Gwyneira : Cattari : Gorobei : Berylore : Zelphia : Aanouk : Beatriice : RobotMaria : Dalrymple : Nihill
    Captain's Crew : Fernia : Ghallanda

  20. #20
    Community Member fco-karatekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arminius View Post
    I saw it last night.

    The 48fps thing was no issue for me at all, I thought it did make the picture seem clearer. Reviewers talk about "higher resolution" which of course it isn't--but the effect on the eye reads, "higher resolution," so after seeing it I can't blame them.

    Like with LOTR, there was a lot of brilliant mixed in with a lot of stupidity, particularly with the action scenes. If you rolled your eyes at Legolas' journey up the oliphant, you'll do some significant eye rolling in this one too. Suffice to say everyone in the party has greater than epic evasion, and con scores and reflex saves in the triple digits.

    Gollum was for me the highlight. Seemed almost the most real thing in the whole movie. How you'll react to Radagast will likely depend on what mood you are in. If you don't know what he is there for, you'll almost certainly hate him. I found the songs well done and well integrated into the film without feeling completely silly, which I consider a masterful achievement.
    Glad they put Radagast in - did they toss Tom Bombadil and the barrow wights in?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload