Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KingMoca View Post
    Well, well, well... I didn't think that I run into you here And you're telling me you started with 8 Con, I wouldn't have believed you.
    Good cuz I got a 6 CON.

And, no CON item at the moment, although I need to check the bank. Just ran Catacombs and got the last bubbles filled in for L7.

And, it was really a blast. I stole a bunch from you in part 2 with cookies. Yay Festivult!

After complaining about not having a search item I found +5 in the AH for cheap. Then the very first reward coming out of Catacombs was a +7 search usable at L7.

I also got a Sun Blade as an end reward out of Butcher's Path. Posted it to the group when I got it. Was a major surprise. I've only ever had 3 of them, one years ago, one two years back as a coin turn in during Festivult and then this one.

So, now L7 and time to start thinking necro and maybe Delera's. Plus I've missed Tangleroot and Searing Height so far. I can't believe how much I've just skipped over on first life.

Stupid TR's! (Mine, not yours or other peoples. )

Edit: Just rereading things and realized I just hit L7. I can use the store tomes. I know, I know, I'm such a cheater. But the experiment is to see if I can make it work and the limits I set are close to what I'd follow if I were a totally new player. Since I use the store's tomes on just about every character at some point it all seems fair to me.
    Last edited by Therigar; 12-16-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    And, no CON item at the moment, although I need to check the bank.
    The only exception is that I allowed myself to twink the character with any quarterstaves I had saved up along the way.
    Tread carefully lest experimental parameters change.

Edit: Just rereading things and realized I just hit L7. I can use the store tomes. I know, I know, I'm such a cheater.
    And, I will allow myself to use DDO store tomes if I do not acquire them via quests or the AH since I do that anyway on all my characters.
    Perfectly acceptable as outlined in the original post.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

hahahahahahahahah yer on my server!!!! when ya hit 8-9ish (as fast as yer leveling you'll catch us for sure) look up Pickt and Glane. we'll run with ya! <3

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Tread carefully lest experimental parameters change.
    I should probably have clarified. I've picked up gear that I couldn't use and put it in Ruh Roh's bank. I think I have a +4 CON belt there that he can use now.

But, you are right. Taking stuff from my other characters is forbidden.

I should probably have clarified. I've picked up gear that I couldn't use and put it in Ruh Roh's bank. I think I have a +4 CON belt there that he can use now.

But, you are right. Taking stuff from my other characters is forbidden.
    Is it forbidden if I spam your mailbox with useful crafting shards? No one will know
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

Well then. Game on!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Default Holy Moly

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    The thread in question was titled 'Kicking someone out of party because of low HP', not because of low Con. So basically all you are doing here is starting a character with 6 con and building / gearing it to have enough HP so that you can overcome this starting limitation.

There isn't anything here to prove / disprove that isn't already known.

- You can already level any build with any starting stats to level 20.
    - You can handle casual and normal difficulty on any build as well
    - You can make a 6 con character and overcome the HP issue with gear, tomes, feats, enhancements, even barbarian past lives.
    - You can continuously die over and over and over again, yet simply get carried through the entire game by other people.

So what is the point of this 'experiment' other than stroking your ego?

Taking ship buffs in the early levels is definitely cheating. One of the worst encounters in the early game is kobold casters spamming lightning bolts which will kill any character with 60ish HP in a single shot. Taking ship buffs for resistances negates any early game challenge.

FYI I play through the entire game without ever taking ship buffs. Because compared to how well built my characters are from the start, the buffs are meaningless.
    Have a Coke and a Smile! If you have an airship and intentionally ignore it, that is stupid. If you don't have an airship and are saying you play all the way through without buffs, it's probably most likely your bad attitude that no one invites you to their ship. You need a hug, man...
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

Quote Originally Posted by darthhento View Post
    Is it forbidden if I spam your mailbox with useful crafting shards? No one will know
    I will know and you will know.

So, while I didn't forbid it (and have even thought to come to the forums and ask for new character help) I've intentionally avoided that temptation.

Besides, crafting is so over-rated.

My thanks to the group today. We ran Gwylan's Stand elite then Tear of Dhakaan on both elite and hard. Many more thanks to the cures I got in Gwylan's as I was in trouble several times there.

I did die once in Gwylan's coming out of the first cave. First one out and the second minotaur spawn was waiting. Stupid me, I should have ducked back inside. Instead I tried to run towards the traps.

Little did I know that the traps had been disabled while we were in the cave....

Anyway, I took solace in that I wasn't the first to die. That would have been the barbarian with the extra 100 HP. He seemed very concerned that a L7 fighter should have so few HP. He died again just as the quest was finishing.

Then two more times in Tear....

In any case, I managed to trail both the barbarians in the group and one of the druids in kills by a significant margin. Time to look into fortification and death block items.

Earned enough XP for L8 but holding on for a while to complete Tangleroot rares and quest line. Want to get the quests there thru hard at least before taking the level.

As long as I'm staying in quests at or below my current level I don't seem to be having any real difficulties. When I step up into quests above my level the mobs are hitting a bit too hard if I make even the smallest mistake.

I think based on the experience so far that I need to look at the THF feat line and replace it with dodge/mobility/spring attack for the dodge bonuses. Ultimately I should be able to hit 20-25% dodge given that I'm sticking with leather or cloth armor (thanks druid level ). I'm thinking that it will be necessary to go the dodge, concealment, incorporeal route to compensate for lack of AC and PRR.

We did have a 45HP sorcerer join at one point but that seemed too much for the group's leader. I'll have to take a close look at that when I do the 6 CON wizard. I'm not sure I want to solo everything.

Once more, thank you to tonight's group. It was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    hahahahahahahahah yer on my server!!!! when ya hit 8-9ish (as fast as yer leveling you'll catch us for sure) look up Pickt and Glane. we'll run with ya! <3
    I busted thru 8 and have 4 bubbles done on 9. Should have the last bubble sometime late tonight.

I'll look for the two of you.

Community Member

The difference between levelling first lives and TRs is amazing, isn't it?

You know....starting with a low CON could end up being a very good thing, especially for newer players. I'd say you could argue that not being able to reply on a ton of hitpoints to bail you out of a self-inflicted bad situation might just mean that you have to learn to play smarter and use tictacs and strategery. That's a lesson we all should learn.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

I used tictacs but they didn't really help my breath any.

Playing smarter forced me to learn tactics though.

I have a lot of observations but I'm sort of saving them up until I hit L20. But, one of the key points is what you've observed -- leveling a new character to L20 is pretty fast and easy. I'm averaging better than a level per day and I don't get to play but a few hours at a time.

I think that when characters who level quickly (and can safely skip a large number of quests along the way) meet up with long time characters and those on multiple TRs there is a vast power difference. And, because the epic game is where we are this means greater difficulty for new players just coming on board.

Default Update

Reached level 10. Picked up a Carnifex in Delera's and a second Sun Blade from winter coin turn ins.

I know I said that I would not supply Ruh Roh with items from my other characters but if he keeps finding stuff like this I may need to use him to supply some of them.

I think some Xorian Cipher will be on the list for tomorrow. If my luck continues to hold out there should be a Planar Gird just sitting there waiting on me.

Reached level 10.
    10 levels in five days. Astonishing. As my weekly play time is limited to about eight hours on weekends only with a somewhat lax and casual static group, I am always taken aback by such alacrity. Remarkable progress, truly.

I am looking forward to your final synopsis at level 20.

Well, to be honest, I thought it might be too much of a challenge and that I'd have given up by now. The real test is yet to come as the next 5 or 6 levels will require gear that I don't yet have (death block, heavy fortification). And, of course, there's my son's criteria that I need to be able to solo specific Vale encounters -- which I'm not especially looking forward to.

Nothing to report today. Still L11, did not get much time in game at all. May get less as school is out for kids tomorrow and then 2 weeks of fun time at home.

I am so looking forward to that.

Started working in Orchard for tapestry shreds. Needing a Minos to deal with fortification. Running at 0 fort at L11 is just a bit too risky.

Since I'm really only looking in 2 places and then resetting the instance I shouldn't pick up too much XP along the way. Looking at L12 sometime Saturday or Sunday.

Well, as I expected, real life has been interfering significantly with my DDO time. It will probably continue thru Christmas. And, my wife just sat me down and explained how she would like to take a couple of day trips in the week following Christmas.

So, lack of activity here is not any indicator of Ruh Roh's status. It does mean that family matters have taken priority for the time being.

Just a quick update, I did not manage to reach L12 on Saturday as I'd hoped. I am still a bubble and a half away. I've been spending most of my time hunting tapestry pieces for Minos Legens. I'm a bit reluctant to take on the more difficult quests without heavy fortification and auction house prices are a bit more than the character has available.

I did some favor cleanup, particularly Free Agent for access to +4 thieves tools. Otherwise the build continues to function well. My biggest challenge has been in running Orchard due to level draining. That has been more deadly than anything else I've encountered.

As time permits today and tomorrow I plan to finish flagging for VoN. I'll also hit some of the explorer areas in Ataraxia's Haven and Sorrowdusk along with those quests. I have to do the Sorrowdusk explorers now before I leave L11. That should put me well over L12 and on the way to L13.

In any case, if I don't get the chance to make comments over the next few days, here is wishing everyone a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or whatever your personal winter celebration happens to be.

This is for my son:

Ruh Roh Shaggy is currently L12 and this was the spider ambush in the Vale of Twilight.

=$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

Just a quick update, I did not manage to reach L12 on Saturday as I'd hoped. I am still a bubble and a half away. I've been spending most of my time hunting tapestry pieces for Minos Legens. I'm a bit reluctant to take on the more difficult quests without heavy fortification and auction house prices are a bit more than the character has available.
    Don't know if you got your Minos or not BUT...

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=284046

These days you can get multiple items btw - Bracers and Darkhelm are especially nice I've found.

And of course - You don't have to complete the quest! So no Bravery issues!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast