Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Smile The adventures continue.

Currently L5. Ran several harbor quests plus the Depths chain. Half way thru L6.

Died in Depths of Darkness while still L4 when others tried to fight in the main room without taking down the clerics up on the ledges. Cleared the clerics and managed to get a cure medium on the incapped character but died to Snarlfang. Fortunately the character I hit with the wand was able to grab soul stones and we finished off the last fight back at the shrine. Was incap in Depths of Discord but got a quick cure from a party member.

So far I'm feeling pretty good about things. If I stop trying to be the hero when things go badly and instead think a little more about staying alive to finish the fights....

Oh well, more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    If I stop trying to be the hero when things go badly and instead think a little more about staying alive to finish the fights....
    I was wondering about that. I know the natural tendency with a predominantly melee character is to, well, melee, which makes me curious as to why you didn't take more tactical feats and enhancements. Given your stated goal with the character, wouldn't being able to reliably incapacitate mobs be a boon?

Oh, and I am quite enjoying your experiment.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Thus far I've soloed thru the Korthos Island snowy side on normal, ran all the harbor solo quests, soloed thru Durk's, Info is Key, Bringing the Light and Garrison's on normal and then joined a group for Butcher's Path -- hard and elite -- and Waterworks elite.

I've died only in WW part 3... Died (2 or 3 times... Most of the party decided that it was too hard and dropped group.
    That's really impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Noopleh View Post
    To be fair some people manage to have have excellent characters without maxing CON (a bit extreme there I know). I believe that Robai has 8 CON? I forgot what his base CON was but I do remember it being low, he is also a 28pt build and kicks ass in any epic elite.
    Kick-ass!

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    i meant i could link back to this thread when someone is on the forums saying "YOU MUST HAVE 16-18 CON OR YOU ARE AN UTTER GIMP AND FAIL AT LIFE!!!!!1!!!!!1!!
    That'll show 'em!

But isn't it more fun when you have more HP? Because it sounds like me! Max HP, no amp!
    No amp? No irony! Don't tell me how to play this game.
    Keybreaker, Leader of Over Raided (Orien)

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

Quote Originally Posted by Keybreaker View Post
    That's really impressive.

Kick-ass!

That'll show 'em!

No amp? No irony! Don't tell me how to play this game.

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    which makes me curious as to why you didn't take more tactical feats and enhancements
    I couldn't figure out how to fit them in. The only real option is to drop out the THF feats which I might easily be persuaded to do. I take them all quite late but I might get more utility out of added tactical feats. This is part of the reason for not taking the enhancements as well.

OTOH, trip could become my friend and there's nothing quite like hitting cleave and watching a whole pile of mobs drop dead.

Community Member

I think it's a very interesting experiment and I'm enjoying reading the posts of your progress.

The only thing that gives me pause about this is that I know you pretty well Ther. You're a helluva player. Having you run this experiment is sort of like putting Jimmy Johnson in a go-kart to race against 12 year olds. He'd have an edge due to experience and knowledge, just the same that you do. No doubt that you can make it work, but I sort of hope that it doesn't make new players think that they can get away with dumping CON too because it ain't going to work for them.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by LordMond63 View Post
    I sort of hope that it doesn't make new players think that they can get away with dumping CON too because it ain't going to work for them.
    Hmmm, I don't know if I'm that good of a player, but I'll take the compliment.

There is some value to your concern. I was talking about it with my son today (mostly to annoy my wife and daughter who were stuck in the car with us as we were traveling) and he said something similar. He was commenting that most people won't be carrying stacks of cure potions or (assuming they're able) cure wands. Same for elemental buffs (whether potions, wands or ship buffs). And, I'll admit that experience does play a big role in it at the moment.

As others have said, a lot will be clearer once I get out of the easy levels. My son said the test will be soloing the spider ambush in Vale. I bravely told him that is easy (except for the shepherds and slayers ). Then he mentioned the gnoll and mephit encounter -- said I had to get that one without even a hire along.

We'll see.

So far I'm feeling pretty good about things. If I stop trying to be the hero when things go badly and instead think a little more about staying alive to finish the fights....

Oh well, more to come.
    Nice job. Good on you for experimenting with this. I AAAAALLLMost TR'd my pally into a 10 con build yesterday, but I wimped out. If my PD guy dies, I'll roll up my next one with 6 con just for the sheer nailbiting torture of it.

Your journey is about what I expected so far. Especially if you had experience running an 8 con guy before. The biggest adjustment, as you've noted, is probably just to play smarter instead of facerolling all the content as usual.

I won't be surprised if it doesn't really get challenging for you until around 13-15. Although elite wiz king could be nasty if with lower than usual HP, there are still smart ways around that - actually using the seals, etc. In an actual party of 4-6 I would think your guy will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    The biggest adjustment, as you've noted, is probably just to play smarter instead of facerolling all the content as usual.
    This.

Some people think that brute force is the only way to play the game. That is the number one reason they have problems understanding how to make other builds work.

With luck I'll be able to demonstrate that.

Or, I'll be a rug in some hobgoblin's den....

Quote Originally Posted by LordMond63 View Post
    No doubt that you can make it work, but I sort of hope that it doesn't make new players think that they can get away with dumping CON too because it ain't going to work for them.
    There is some value to your concern.
    Oh, I don't know. When I started my first character I think my CON was 10 on what would eventually become a Kensai Great-Axer. I ended up dying - A lot. Coming from a P&P background with no other MMO experience, I was very concerned with such events. Expiring endlessly in Korthos and Harbor quests acclimated me to the fact my character was going to die. Now, popping a soul stone is not a traumatic event. There's something to be said for that experience.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

I think some people are getting irritated attention isnt focused on PSA threads.
    SidekickzDysmoniaEilisia PSSC

Also, I would suggest that the OP be in his proper ED when he decides to run epics later on, that includes EN.
    Just sayin'
    SidekickzDysmoniaEilisia PSSC

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by darthhento View Post
    And this fact is proven by the fact that you can't even solo heroic elite von3 at level.
    Who says I can't? I simply never tried it. Maybe I wouldnt enjoy soloing heroic elite even if I could. Therigars 6 con character, and anyone elses such character absolutely couldn't even solo most things on hard. Not a single player in DDO can solo heroic elite Von 3 on their very first attempt, so I suppose that you also ignore any player that is nee to the game. Survivong beholders oh elite is purely down to luck, skill makes no difference to whether or not you save vs a disintegrate.

Personal enjoyment of playing rubbish useless characters in DDO makes the game worse for every other character in your group. Every person on this forum that supports playing characters with rubbish con and HP have to be terrible team players and don't deserve a place in anyone elses group, though you will often get carried through the entire game by group leaders not paying attention to, and not realizing how pathetic your charater is.

XP stones are also back in the game now - build a useless character and pay to skip levels 7-16. Go you.
    Last edited by DDOisFree; 12-14-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slink View Post
    Also, I would suggest that the OP be in his proper ED when he decides to run epics later on, that includes EN.
    Just sayin'
    I was thinking to start with the new druid ED. I mean, with 1 druid level it seems like a natural fit.

and this server is sure glad we don't have a pathetic person like you.

Seriously, get over your head or gtfo, don't you have anything else better to do with your time? We didn't ask for your presence here, and if you come here to be an egotastical little jerk off I suggest you just return to whatever server you came from.

In other words; Have a good day mister.

Also, OP, keep us updated with your squishy endeavor.
    Good thing he's not an elitist. Elitists are mean and hurt people's feelings.

Oh, and thanks for speaking for the Orien server Noopleh. Everyone appreciates it.
    Keybreaker, Leader of Over Raided (Orien)

Plane of Night, having a brew with my wifey Velah

Quote Originally Posted by Keybreaker View Post
    Good thing he's not an elitist. Elitists are mean and hurt people's feelings.

Oh, and thanks for speaking for the Orien server Noopleh. Everyone appreciates it.
    **** yeah, I am a patriot

edit: /rustled jimmies
    The Fight Club - Orien.
    Xcaltar: WF Barbarian 25. Ilithius: WF Artificer 17 / 2 Monk. Searth: Human Favoured Soul.

and this server is sure glad we don't have a pathetic person like you.
    All, please don't get caught up in the insults with DDOisFree. I think most of us get the picture. Let's let it go at that.

And, it is 1 AM for me and I need to get some sleep. Plans for Hobbit in IMAX 3D before 9.

But, quick note about tonight's adventures. Didn't get much chance to game. Joined a Sunken Sewer group on elite, got in quest and they were nearly done. I guess everyone can pike now and again. (Oh no, fodder for the unnamed....)

High school basketball game so away from machine until late. Jumped back on and joined a new player. Ran harbor warehouse on normal then Jung's on elite. Spent rest of the time showing him around marketplace, house J and house D to help him outfit a bit better.

Half a bubble from L6 but still a rewarding evening.

Alright, waiting on the server restarts and hoping to get back online for a while late tonight. Hoping to see the LFM bug fixed.

Managed an invite to Sharn Syndicate elite and STK hard. A bubble and a half from L7. After spending so much time leveling TRs this first life character is a breeze.

Ran STK in a duo with a ranger/rogue TR. A lot of fun and we raced for total kills and total breakables all 3 quests. Only death came at the fire trap in part 3. Poor ranger.

I really need to find a search item. Ranger and I traded his back and forth several times so that I could search out traps after he died. Hard DC must have been just under his search because after he lost buffs he wasn't finding the traps.

Several points in the 3d quest were touch and go. Ranger had a cleric hire that insisted in running into flames and then stopping to decide what came next. Luckily I'd topped off on cure wands just before we joined up.

Cursing my determination not to help the character with my others because I've got all sorts of search, disable, spot, etc along with +5 tools running over. Oh well, it makes it a lot more interesting. Also, I've noticed a lot of people with rogue splashes in the groups I've been in so far.

Only had 1 person ask me about the build. That was yesterday and the poor player was at a loss for words after I told him.

Default Suprise ;)

Alright, waiting on the server restarts and hoping to get back online for a while late tonight. Hoping to see the LFM bug fixed.

Managed an invite to Sharn Syndicate elite and STK hard. A bubble and a half from L7. After spending so much time leveling TRs this first life character is a breeze.

Ran STK in a duo with a ranger/rogue TR. A lot of fun and we raced for total kills and total breakables all 3 quests. Only death came at the fire trap in part 3. Poor ranger.

I really need to find a search item. Ranger and I traded his back and forth several times so that I could search out traps after he died. Hard DC must have been just under his search because after he lost buffs he wasn't finding the traps.

Several points in the 3d quest were touch and go. Ranger had a cleric hire that insisted in running into flames and then stopping to decide what came next. Luckily I'd topped off on cure wands just before we joined up.
    Well, well, well... I didn't think that I run into you here And you're telling me you started with 8 Con, I wouldn't have believed you. Well thankfully you saw my post in General since LFM's were all messed up. Definitely was the funnest bit of questing I've done in a long time. (the TR grind is sooo boring) And we sooo had the unspoken race for kills and breakables lol. Alot I stole from you w/ sneak attack Definitely gonna party w/ you some more, and will be in this thread as well See ya after updates
    Sincerly
    Mudai the Spider

P.S. Final build is gonna be 13rogue/6ranger/1barb, just getting the tempest PrE first

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast