Post Postcards from Niwa

Dear Brun

Hey, it was those old travel journals. I got out the atlas and I’m like, wow! So many places I haven’t been! And totally too many things I haven’t done. So I’m off, for a trip round the world! Like, there’s 293 different dungeons in Eberron, did you know that? Never mind this new place that they’re all rushing off to. And like 386 weird monsters (all waiting to be killed!)

I’m starting over in Korthos, and this time round I'm soooo going to see every single thing there is to be seen. It’ll be brill. Hey, I’ll be back one day, but don’t expect me much before next Therendor. But I’m gonna look soooo rad, and I’m totally gonna have wicked tales to tell.

By the time you read this I'll be gone. Sorry not to see you before I left, but, you know, made my plans, and I soooooooo couldn’t stand hanging around here any longer. Maybe the place looks a little untidy, but I was totally packing in a hurry, and I'm pretty sure I cleared up all the loose arrows. If there’s any, say down the back of the sofa, just chuck them in the chest under my bed.

Wish me luck, and I’ll see you in a year’s time!
    www.LegendsGuild.eu - on Thelanis
    Niwareka (Tempest Ranger); Hiacynthe (Happy Monk); Juss (Kensai Fighter); Brunhildha (Stroppy healer); Sharkee (Dirty old Shenanigan); Kawariki (Confused drow wizard)

Default Well, she's off.

Niwa is my first TR. I was trying to work out how long it took her to get to cap, and my best guess is nine months. Hey, I play when I have spare time! Even then, there are many dungeons and quests she has never seen, so this time round she is going to explore every corner of this vast and wonderful game without exception. At two or three quests a week, it should take over a year.

Of course it might seem a bit easy, second time round, without the pressure that most TRs seem to labour under. So I am going to make it a little challenging for her. Nothing extreme, no Permadeath or "Elite once and done". But she will do everything at Hard or above, she will do everything at level or above, and, this is the REAL killer, she will do everything, but EVERYTHING, in a group. Yep, no test more severe, but she's a tough girl, she can take it.

If any of you should happen to be around, at level, on random weekday nights at about 8.30 pm UK time, she would love the company, give her a wave. There will be many PUGs, and I bet there will be a story to tell from each and every one of them.

So.

Nothing left out, never alone, nothing below, and never normal.

Let's see how it goes!
    Niwareka (Tempest Ranger); Hiacynthe (Happy Monk); Juss (Kensai Fighter); Brunhildha (Stroppy healer); Sharkee (Dirty old Shenanigan); Kawariki (Confused drow wizard)

Post Postcard from Korthos

Dear Brun

Well, I’ve arrived, in my wicked new body, thanks to that orcy cleric in House J. Got an odd sense of humour, hasn’t he? And I see what Thunda means now, I can see right over everyone’s heads. There are all these little elves running around and I’m like, awwwww how cute, and then I’m, Wait! I used to be like that! But look at me now!

So, I’ve landed in Korthos, and I put up such a sweet little notice on the tavern door, you know like, “looking for adventurers”, but got nothing for ten minutes, despites all the folk running round tripping over each other. I'm like, Doesn't anyone around here read?

In the end I just grab a random body off the street. I'm like explaining stuff, and he's all Duuuuh. He totally doesn't understand a word I say, but I push him into Heyton’s Crypt with hand signals. I'm like, maybe he's deaf, or only speaks some foreign language, but he's soooooo off with the fairies. The cultists get him, of course. Could be 'cos he takes OFF his mail before charging them waving a wooden twig, and he soooo didn’t know what hit him.

Fortunately then a couple more bodies read my notice and join us. I’m like, at last, someone I can talk to! One of them's setting up a guild just for training newcomers, and he's like totally cool to run with. We finish the place lickety-split, and move on to sort out the villagers’ other problems. We can't get the first guy to follow us - ah well, you do what you can, and leave the rest behind.

((I know Turbine don’t want to throw too much at potential new customers, but I think not to mention the existence of chat windows, or the LFM panel is a big mistake.))

I'm looking round, and the village sure is a bit smarter since I was here last, so many years ago. The Crypt totally got a makeover - someone in the Heyton family must have some money! And the Mayor's added a few magic signs, so it’s easier to get around if you don’t know the place. It's like quite nostalgic, romping around the island. It sooo seems smaller, but I guess that happens when you go back to old haunts.

So, I’m getting the next boat out. I can tell you, I’m so looking forward to getting to a civilised place with a hairdresser and a bank. I soooo want to get my hands on some of my old gear!

Are you missing me yet? I bet the room is soooo tidy and quiet without me! Hugs and kisses

Niwa.

Post Postcard from the Harbour

Dear Brun

Well here I am in Stormreach, and it all looks very familiar. Thanks for the parcel, by the way, that was a nice surprise, and such a pretty ribbon!

That guy with the spiders in his crypt nabbed me as I was heading off the quay, so I’m like, why not, get the solos out of the way. So there I am, I’ve found a nice place away from coffins to stand and fight, knee deep in cute little spiders, and the spiders are all, chomp, chomp, chomp OW! broken fangs! and I’m like, ooo, this invulnerable mail is waaay cool! (Thanks Brun!)

But I suddenly get there is totally only one way to screw that quest - panic and flail around till you hit too many coffins. So they're teaching the newbs: pick your place to fight, don’t panic, and you totes can’t lose. So, why do I never remember that?

The natives are pretty friendly. I joined a likely looking group, and before I could turn round we were plunging into Butcher’s Path, on Elite. I’m like, wait, I shouldn’t be in here at my level, but actually it was fine. End of the quest, and Ding! Ding ! Ding! Half of them levelled and they all decided to go off to Elite Kobold Assault. And I’m, wait, I haven’t looked at the level 2 quests yet!

It was only when I dropped the group that I noticed that one of the dings was me. Humph, I thought this TR thing was going to last ages! I'm not sure my trainer knows what he's talking about. It’s all very well telling me it's got to be hard or elite and I’m not allowed to skip anything, but that seems like only a couple of level 2 quests to get to level 3. Well, I shall just ignore the dings. If I never visit the silly old trainer I can’t get told off, can I!

Then I met this really friendly cleric type. Called himself Bonesetter, and said that he was the type that did healing not hitting (not like SOME clerics I could mention). We went off to see if old Baudry was still around. Yep, still holding forth in the corner of the Lobster, and still like as fat and self-important as ever. And what’s his thing with crates? He’s all, You must protect the crate, then he’s, no smash the crates, and then, now find the crate! Make up your mind, Baudry!

Well, must dash. Thank’s again for the parcel, and I’ll send you a postcard. Oh, wait, I just have!

Hugs and kisses

Niwa
    Last edited by Niwareka; 12-17-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Default Postcard from the Cerulean Hills

Dear Brun

Hope you are well, I’m having such fun. Went for a picnic in the Hills near the Harbour with a couple of nice folks I met. I forgot how pretty it is round here! Hung out some, but someone let some orcs in, they were all over the place! But we like totally tidied the place up.

And then we met this sweet old farmer who’d had them move in on him! Talk about an awkward house share! And he was like, Pleeeeeeze help, so we couldn’t just leave him camping in a caravan, could we? First scrap I’ve really had to sweat for, but we totally showed them. And the doggies were soooo cute but the mean old farmer wouldn’t let me keep one, not even a puppy!

Then my new friends are all, lets go help this Lady Adzel. (What is it with her, she’s always messing with those orcs, if she doesn’t like it rough she should stay away from them.) But like, level 3 elite? and I’m level 2, and I didn’t bring a hire, and I can’t use a wand yet, and I’m running low on pots so I‘m like, are you sure about this? and they’re all, don’t worry, we’ll go careful. So, hey, what can we lose?

Well one of them’s a fighter who knows when to rush and when to turtle, and the other is a wizzy with a nice Niac’s, and a totes charming smile and good timing using it, and I manage to stay out of trouble long enough to polish things off every now and then.

There's lots of leaping around, cos there’s nothing like that itchy feeling between the shoulder blades (when you know that one good swipe and you’re jelly) for totally keeping you on your toes. But actually, by now we click together pretty good, so although we have a few hairy moments, sure enough, we totally beat the meany old orc to a pulp. Kewl! ‘Cept of course it’s easy when the baddies are charmed or focused on the guy with the shield.

Anyway, so I’m like all tall and mean and cool now and I’ve totally got the hang of waving my big sword around just like you. You’d have totally been proud, yeah, lookit me - Battlecleric Niwa! Cept, just teasing, cos of not actually being a cleric or battley or anything.

So, hang cool, and I’ll be back home before you know it. Hugs and kisses!

Niwa

Default Postcard from an abandoned warehouse

Did my last level 2 quest yesterday. Wooo, go me! Course it would be getting that fake gem back for that creep Lesto in the Lobster. The guy is such a loser! I can totally see why no-one ever hangs out with him. Anyway, finally I talk someone into coming along, and I have this bright idea of using that invis clickie armband in my trinket box. It looks rad against my mithril chain, too!

So there we are, deep in kobbie territory, and suddenly, Ohmygod I’m all on display! What? Arrrgh, I forgot that the thing only lasts three minutes! Now you know me, normally I don’t mind admiring stares, but right then? I’m all, Hi guys, don’t mind little old us! but they seem to mind quite a lot actually, and before you can say Boo! we’re red alerted and harried and held and witch doctors dancing all around us. I can’t move a finger, and if I do get a swing in, course I hit one of those silly old prophets. What’s funny tho’, I’m completely surrounded by ticked off lizard-faces, but they can hardly touch me either. Totally wicked armour, thanks again, Brun!

Well after a few minutes of this, I’m like, this isn’t going anywhere, so I press the old emergency gettout button, and get teleported out. Of course the other guy blows me off and disappears, but I’m not giving up like that. The clickie is only single use, and there’s no way three minutes will be long enough, but maybe old fashioned sneakiness will do it?

So I’m off to the AH and get myself rustle proof clothing and new creepy footwear (yeah, I know, any excuse for new shoes), and get back in there. And guess what? All the corridors near the front door are empty. The kobbies are still milling around, deep in the dungeon, wondering where where I disappeared to!

So I get a free ride to halfway in, but then I totally have to start sweating. I’m all, sneak sneak sneak, then like BOO!, and, help! up this ladder! Did you know that kobbies can jump like mad, but they can’t climb up ladders? So I can pick off the shamans and throwers with a bow, (in the gaps between being held ), and wait till the prophets get fed up and wander off looking for other ways to get at my perch, and then I hop down (Oo, look, I can drop in sneak!) and do it all again.

Well finally I get to the silly glass gem, and I grab it, and I’m like, at last! Now you’re sooooooo going to get it, lizard breaths! I’m all one-girl genocide in there - I mean, you know me, as sweet as a lamb, but there’s only so much a girl can take before snapping!

Yes, I know, I did do the last bit solo, but it wasn't my fault he ran out on me was it? Anyway, I'm not doing it again, so there! Now must go and wash the blood off. Hugs and kisses,

Niwa

Post Postcard from the Waterworks

Dear Brun

There I was, just finished my morning exercises (girl’s gotta stay in trim isn’t she?), and I’m looking round to see who’s pinned up a help notice, and there’s one for Waterworks, with one vacancy. I’m thinking, right level, elite, nice to do Waterworks in a full group, then I read, TRs only! So suddenly I’m like ooo, I’m a TR now! I could totally do that one, and they’d let me in and everything!

So I apply to the recruiting Sergeant and flash him my bestest smile and he’s all
    “Line up! Over there!”
    (Yes Sarg)*
    “You’re last man in … “
    (ahhh, all girl here, Sarg)*
    “so you have to drop in Part III for my Guildie!”
    and I’m like “Oh, Okay” and I’m whispering to the guy next to me, “drop what? part which?” but when I turn round he’d gone! In fact they’d all gone!

* thats me under my breath ‘cos I’m totally not, like gonna SAY anything, am I!

So I jump right in and I haven’t even looked in the mirror, and God knows what my hair looks like, and there’s all these little blue dots way up in the dark of the map, and I’m ohmygod how did they get up there! So it’s like run, run, run, and sorry kobbies - haven’t got time to kill you today, and phew, thanks AGAIN for that nice armour Brun!, and finally I get to Guard Tember (poor man looks totally worried) and - hold the nose - drop right down the manhole

Well I’m not making that mistake again, so I decide to totally stick to the Sarg like glue, and fortunately now they’re hitting things as we go, so I get to catch up and polish things off, an’ whenever he barks something I’m like “Sah!” whether I understand it or not, (but I quietly decide I’m sooo taking care of the barrels, just so its looks like I’m being useful.)

Then he’s all
    “Smith! Jones! Brown! You take left!”
    “Sah!”
    “Sah!”
    “Sah!”
    “You two, with me!”
    “Sah!”
    “Sah!”
    And, phew, I’m with the “with him” party so I don’t have to pretend I know where to go, and off we trot again, and I’m like soooo breathing down his neck so I don’t get caught out by much, and I’m totally not hitting anything ‘till he’s hit it first, (Kill stealing? Moi?) and we rattle through there like a hot knife through something soft and squishy.

Well apparently the Guildie is now doing something very complicated and important which I don’t understand so he’s like “You! You’re doing the rest now!”
    “Sah!”

So we get to the next bit and now even old Arlos has got with the action and is zerging around like a madman, but we get him home and then it’s
    “You stay! You lot, out!”
    “I’ve got the window!”
    (Window? It was all sewer and stuff, i don’t remember a window?)*
    “Right, back in!”
    (Oh, okay, but make up your mind, Sarg.)*

And then its more running and more hitting, still totalling staring at the back of his neck, ‘cept that I notice it's all looking VERY familiar round here, and he’s:
    “Good job, nearly down to four minutes that run!”
    and then
    “You stay! You lot, out!”
    “I’ve got the window!”
    (Window? Window? What’s with the window all the time? Where is it, ‘cos I could soooo do with a breath of fresh air!)*
    “HEY, I said everybody out!”
    (I AM out, Sarg)*
    Ahh, but someone else isn’t! And even worse, he’s not heard the recall order, and doesn’t respond when shouted at! (Me - I respond - I jump out of my boots every time.)

Oh, noes, he’s been caught sleeping on duty!

Instant court martial!

DISMISSED!

So Sarge decides that we’ve done enough of that and finally we go and find Venn and I land the killing blow on the meany old Ogre (Ha! Go me!)* and back outside I’m taking huge breaths of fresh air and I’m like woo, even the harbour smells good right now!

So I reckon I did alright, but when the Sarg announces the next mission, I take one step back. I’m very polite and thank them all (see, Brun, I do sometimes remember my manners), and it was wicked fun once, like just for the experience, but phew, I totally wouldn’t like to do it for a living!

So now I'm off looking for some butterflies.

Hugs and kisses!

Niwa

Post Postcard from the Catacombs

Dear Brun

I'm thinking three is just about right.

I’ve been sooooo having luck with help notices these days. I’m like just thinking hmmmm, what shall I do today? while I’m wandering over to the notice board, and there it’ll be, the very thing I was wondering ‘bout doing, so I don’t even have to bother with my own notice! Sure is no problem finding groups down here anyway.

So, I’m like standing there with my new flaming maul of undead bane hot in my hands, (geddit? … oh never mind ), looking for some skellies to bash, and there is someone else’s scrap of paper asking for help in the Catacombs.

Well I sign up, and another bod joins, and the leader’s like, anyone need a healer or shall we just go? And I’m all Ha, healers? Who needs ‘em! (sorry Brun you know I don’t mean it!) so off we set.

Well he’s an orcen barb with the biggest axe I’ve EVER seen in my life, and I almost ask him why, but he’s all bulging muscles and leather vest and I’m thinking, asking boys about the size of their weapons? hmmm, maybe not; and she’s a drow arti who’s really sweet but packs a crossbow like an Uzzi.

They don't seem to rush, and they like wait for me when I’m all puffed from all the stairs, and we have the odd break for a breather, but it’s totally motoring. ‘Cept, and this is the thing, without all the effort that old Sarg felt he had to put into it. Yeah, we’re like, “let’s drag in some hired help” halfway through, and we’re all “Hmm, now who’s doing what” towards the end (yeah, enough of the sarky - I can stop and think when I need to, Brun! ) but I’m having such fun jumping around with my big flaming hammery thingy it totally doesn’t feel like work, and the whole chain’s done licketty split.

So, I’ve decided that three is totally the right number. Two? Maybe if it’s a special friend, and you’re like hooked into each other. But three is like, many enough to spread the load, but few enough so’s that after only a fight or two you know how the other two work, and when to jump in and where to stand and everything. See, more than that and I'm, What are you all up to?

Hanging out with six is just toooo confusing.

Oh and hey, I totally failed to get the traps in "Proof" today. Any chance of some decent rogue gear? Pleeeee e e e e e eeeze? (Big puppy dog eyes an' fluttery eyelashes an' everything! )

Hugs and kisses

Niwa

P.S. Look, I found these little stickers I can stick on! Aren't they just cute!

Post Postcard from the Poison lab

Dear Brun

I’m like totally blushing ‘cos I threw a total hissy fit today. Yeah, sweet little old me!

I totally suprised myself, I mean, I’ve been sooooo pugging everything, and I’m like, yeah, I can totally handle whatever 'cos I'm just looking for chuckles. Someone’s tripping over their greataxe and totally throwing a wobbly, and I’m giggling in the back like a schoolgirl.

But this group were something else. We've just done Freshen the Air, and the poor leader is like tearing his hair out trying to herd wet chickens (‘cept he's bald already), and it’s not a friendly place for running squawking in circles, and afterwards, he suddenly has urgent business somewhere else. Yeah, right.

But I'm having fun so I decide to stick around, and they want to do Proof is in the Poison. So back to my PUG. We’ve actually got some good bods on paper, level 5s, including some TRs, and they’re all ”Have to do Elite!” like anything else would be like an insult to their little peens. But it’s the usual score - the fighter shoots ahead without backup, the cleric overheals, the arti gets aggro he can’t handle, the only rogue we’ve got is me, and at Elite I can’t get the traps.

We struggle through the traps and past the bridge, survive the spiders, the poor little cleric’s down to 10% SP, the fighter's off up the stairs by himself with his red bar dropping and no way to get to him quick, and suddenly I’m all … I just can’t do this.

Now I better explain about “Proof”. Yep, we all know it, like the toughest Level 4 quest with the worst pay, and no-one bothers with it ‘cept they’re proving how rad they are. But it’s the one I did for my “trial run” with the Legends, so it’s a bit special for me.

I’d just bumped into this pair of grizzled old dwarves, and they bowed to me. I'm like hey, how do you DO that, that's soooo kewl. (Yes, you can blush now if you like, Graunch) And I’d already failed Proof with two pugs, and I was too young to know about it, and too stupid to give up, even tho’ I hadn’t got half way, so when they asked if I wanted help with anything, I'm like, yeah this one. But they didn’t flinch. They took me in, showed me a few tricks, let me kill a few things, and we had such a blast, I’m like, yeah, these are the people I want to run with.

And “Proof”? Its got **** rewards, pathetic XP, long fights with only one shine, and the only reason to run it is to prove you can work as a team to defeat the odds.

So I’m the one throwing the wobbly! I’m all “STOP! Get back here RIGHT now!”, and stamping my little foot, and you know what? They do! I’m like tearing into them, and they’re like, okay, okay, we’ll behave! And the rest of it totally goes like clockwork! Not a Legends' run, but for a PUG? I’m gonna have to throw my toys out of the pram more often!

Well that was my last level 4 quest, so I levelled up but I went thief training even tho’ my trainer ses I should be at Ranger school for this one. I soooo can't stand not getting the traps! Which is why your little parcel later was totally brill, Brun. Kewl theify gear, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hugs and kisses

Niwa

Default Another postcard from the Waterworks

I'm thinking like with this silly "Never alone" rule it’s going to be totally tricky keeping up with Rare Bosses out in the countryside. The Cerulean Hills are brill for a picnic, so they’re popular, but Waterworks? Who ever goes in there just to admire the scenery, and hunt for rares?

And I’m looking at my magic notebook, you know the one that keeps track of what you’ve done, and there’s this totally glaring “Only 5 out of 6” for rares down the sewers. But anyway I advertise for “Rares only” and peeps turn up anyway, not just once but twice! And when I tell them they still hang around for a bit and help, ‘til they’re all “We’ve been good, NOW can we do the quests?” and I’m like “Oh, alright then, but just a quick one” ‘cos I’m totally toooo soft hearted but actually I only end up finding poor old Venn twice more to get it. And guess who it was? That rustie, Crumble! So what sort of name is that for a terrifying monster?

And it’s quite fun, ‘cept when I try and come over all Sarge on them they just wander off and totally do their own thing with me trailing after them as usual! Maybe I need to practise looking mean and scary for the bossy bit to stick?

((And, then, in a different ink …))

Heya Brun, I’ve just found this card at the bottom of my bag and I guess I totally should have sent it ages ago, but here it is. And don’t you go calling me scatterbrained. I’m just a teeeeensy bit organisationally challenged, maybe.

Hugs and kisses

Niwa

Post Postcard from the Market Place

Today, I see a notice up from some folk helping the Coin Lords take down the Sharn Syndicate. They’re soooo friendly, they seem to know what they’re doing, and they’re totally happy to wait while I get my hair fixed up. But they talk. Not just chatting, but talking. (And so, because it’s impossible to stay in character talking, the rest of this postcard is Out Of Character.)

It becomes apparent, while we help Maxwell and his brother defend the saloon, that they are a couple called Fred and Wilma, and their long standing friend Barney. (I may have got those names wrong.)

While we clear up the money launderers, I learn that the noises in the background are their two sons, Dan and Stan, who are 8 and 10 respectively. (ah, not completely sure about those names, either ...)

It is explained, as we clear out the bank, that Dan and Stan have a Xbox each, but won’t be allowed to play DDO until they are 12. Clearly, the family that plays together stays together.

Barney gets advice on his optimal gear set-up while we rescue the Bookbinder’s family, and, aha! the quest finally gets a look into the conversation when we discover that hireling rogue is NOT able to get the traps in the art gallery. We blunder through anyway, and although not all survive the traps, nothing dents the unceasing good cheer of the party.

As we wade through waves of Syndicate muscle in Darsin’s headquarters, we discuss the game the boys are playing, some first person shooter I had never heard of, although now the conversation is punctuated with the occasional call of “Look out behind you” or “Someone get that mage!”

Niwa and the other poor pugger pass notes to each other like kids at the back of the classroom, the conversation is cheerful, good natured and completely relentless, and by the time we finish I know I will have to take five minutes out to plunge my head into a basin of cold water.

Default Postcard from the Gorge

Dear Brun

Well I’m having wicked fun doing standard quests, and even for the rares, like there’s always someone who’s looking for company.

Like Tangleroot. Splinterskull the quests? Easy peasy, there’s a group up for that everytime I poke my nose out the door, but I’m thinking like the rares are going to totally suck? So I write my own notice and I put on the top like, “Exploring Only!” and “Not going into Splinterskull” and I’m just touching up the eyeshadow ‘cos I expect to be waiting for yonks, but the first reply pops up after only a few minutes!

He’s a mechanic toaster with a crossbow, and I don’t know it yet but I’m going to be seeing more of this guy (Hi Recal!). We chat a bit and get to know each other as we wander out looking for victims. I’m like waving both of my swords around ‘cos I’ve just had my TWF lessons, and I’m soooo looking forward to being totally tempest and rangery again. I jump into that pack of wolfies lurking around just off the path near the Bug-Bear, and they’re totally going down like flies and I’m all, hey I’m soooo kewl now, specially ‘cos the toaster isn’t even up there in the fight with me, although there is this like irritating plink plink plink noise going on.

Then there’s a couple of Hobbies over there, so I’m charging at one, and he drops dead before I even get to him! I’m like, wick! I didn’t know my reach was that good, and I turn to the other one, and now he’s totally dead too! And all the time that stooopid plink plink plink noise is still going on.

So I turn round to gloat to the toaster, who’s standing back there, and he’s got this big repeater thing, and it’s going plink plink plink and the next pair of wolfies bite the dust. Like, do I feel stupid? I totally feel sooo stupid.

Well someone else joins us and its a ranger, the type with a bow, and now there’s two of them at it!

If I run fast, maybe I get to the next lot of hobbies before he can off them?

Plinkplinkplink, pew pew, plinkplinkplink … no.

Right, I’ll stay here and protect him, so when he gets rushed, I can stop those hobgoblins from carving him up. The next bunch rush us, and I step up to save his bacon … and they all fall flat in the dust juuuuust before they get to us.

The I get a message from a fighter who wants to join, and I’m Yeah, come on in, we’ll wait for you, and I’m all, phew, somebody with a sword! But when he turns up I hear this squeaking from down near knee level and there’s this little thing, dressed in miniature armour. Now I know we’ve got tons of halflings running around the guild, but this one? A hobbit, that’s smaller than a halfling, right? So what’s smaller than a hobbit? A quarter-bit?

And straight off, Junior (‘cos I can’t think of him as anything else) pipes up with “Hey, Mister, invite me to your Guild.”

I’m like, too stunned to reply, but the toaster taps him on the shoulder and says “That’s a bit rude, you know, before you’ve even introduced yourself.”

“You got any good stuff then? Gimme some stuff!”

Aaaaahhhh, riiiight.

“And invite my friend”

“Well, like, the LFM notice is up and anyone can...”

“Just invite my friend! His name’s ###” (Junior2, like ‘cos you think I remembered what his friend’s name was?”)

‘Corse I’d put “All Welcome” and I’ve been like accepting everyone as part of the experience, but.... You know how you’re always saying I’m too soft hearted and soooo easy? I’m totally not brushing you off any more, ‘cos I’m like grinding my teeth, but sure enough I invite his friend.

We’re trotting down the path, still plinplinkplinking and I’m wondering how I can get to kill anything
    and Junior2 pipes up.

“Hey, is this in the harbour?”

Sigh. “House P, northwest corner, dude will teleport you.”

We’re running along the gorge now, and I’m like, “Hey, I’ve got a bow too!” I whip out my Nicked longbow, and sure enough, if I wait to see what the toaster is shooting at (plinkplinkplink) I have totally enough time to get one arrow in it just as it dies. Wooo, go me!

“House where?” It’s Junior2, still squeaking.

“House Phialarn! Top of the Market Place!”

“Where’s the Market Place?”

Thats it! I’m like, speaking firmly now, “TDK, if that’s you, stop messing around!”

But no, there’s no laughing from TDK (Hey, where are you anyway you big lug, we miss you already) just Junior1 giving weird instructions to Junior2. 'Cept I’m like feeling hopeful now ‘cos on those instructions, he’ll totally end up in Ataraxia.

Now we’re running to the spider cave, and maybe Junior1’s little legs can’t quite keep up ‘cos there’s this “a a a a a a a rgh …......... splash” behind us then a plaintive wail “I’ve fallen in the water”.

Junior1’s fallen in the water.

“Well just kill something while you’re down there” I shout. Can you tell I’m like not feeling as motherly as I should?

And Junior2 pipes up. “Which dude?”

“Um, hey look maybe this isn’t the right party for you?”

“If he goes, I go!” threatens Junior1.

I’m "Oh please, say that's a promise", but like all under my breath. I totally blame my mum, she brought me up so’s I can’t say no to anybody.

“He won’t let me in!” wails Junior2.

“Its P2P” says Junior1, helpfully.

“What!” shouts Junior2

“What?” I sigh in relief.

“Noobs!” shouts Junior2, and quits party.

Well I have to say after we rescued him from a couple of trogs that were sizing him up for lunch, and I’d wand whipped him into shape, and slipped him a couple of cure pots ‘cos there was totally no way he was going to get out of there without them, Junior1 calmed down, and even if he didn’t actually help as such, he didn’t get underfoot more than we could stand.

And when I stopped and looked at them, I realised that I’d just put up a notice without thinking about levels, and you know how it magically writes in the range 2 above and 2 below your own? So Junior1 was level 3 and Recal was level 7, and for all I knew, Junior2 was fresh off the boat. Maybe “Invite the first 5 peeps who turn up” was not so good after all? On the other hand, it was pretty solid on entertainment value!

And a bit later (and way after Junior1 split to go home to mom) we did Splinterskull all the way, with some help (thanks Dalk). Now that ends in a Level 7 quest, and Elite, which makes it about Level 9 or 10, so with me at level 5 I’m like not in the best position to be complaining about lowbie freeloaders. Maybe we accept that sometimes we mix up the levels and it’s all part of the fun, although I’m sure gonna try and remember whether I’m the freeloader or the leader!

Hugs and kisses

Niwa
    Last edited by Niwareka; 02-01-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Default Postcard from the Graveyard

Woops!

Ummmm, I seem to have broken the rules just a teeensy bit - but it totally wasn’t my fault!

See, I keep seeing this “Bravery Bonus” thing popping up all the time. I’m like, hey, what’s that, I didn’t sign up for any bonus? I’m getting more XP than I can use anyway, but it seems that the “never below and never normal” rules sort of accidentally fit a Hard streak. In fact, seeing as I can’t get anyone to run a Hard these days, it’s mostly an Elite streak. So, last time I looked, my streak was 50. Woo, who knew there were 50 quests between Heyton’s Crypt and here?

But then, when I jump into the Big Top yesterday (what a brill place, I sooo like the funfair) it says “Bravery Streak of 0”. I’m like, What? When did that happen? I’ve totally been sooo careful!

As soon as I have a spare minute I get out my magic notebook and look down the list. You know how the little imp or whatever magically fills them in for you, in colour - there they are, all "Elite” in a wicked shade of red but - Oh noes! There’s a green one!

“Return to Delera's Tomb ------------ Normal

I’m like, Wait wait wait, which one's that? I did the whole Delera’s chain with a brill TR group, the leader was a total sweetie and not only didn’t rush me, but let me talk him into doing all the optionals. (I keep telling you, Brun, you gotta go for the mascara. Never mind Diplo, I’ve got like +10 eyelashes now! ) But we totally went Elite the whole way, I’m sure.

Oh, wait …. it’s that bit … you know, you talk to old Derek outside the gate, then you go in the tomb, then it’s that meano Hargo in the graveyard, then Derek again, no wait, its the Tomb again, wait, no, Hargo next, hang on aren't we meant to speak to Delera somewhere?

Arrrrgh, I never claimed to be brainy or anything. You know me, I totally get lost in the Market Place! So how's a girl going to get any skellie bashing done with all this rushing in and out?

So, look, I find the right tomb, just nip inside to slip Delera the good news, and all right, no-one else is in there, and I've maybe forgotten to set the level at the door. But I'm still in group! And it’s like, twenty feet from the entrance! That totally doesn't count!

Anyway, I’m totally not telling my trainer, and don’t you go telling anyone else neither.

But I did get another Voice. That’s like, two Voices I’ve got now. I know, you can’t wear ‘em both, but I never remember to put on the first one anyway, and they soooo look rad as a pair of earrings!

Hugs and kisses

Niwa
    Last edited by Niwareka; 02-09-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Just wanted to say thanks for writing these, they're cool!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Default Postcard from the Ruins

Dear Brun

Wasn't that Cordovan guy sooo sweeeet? It was like totally nice of him, 'specially 'cos I'm like does anyone but you ever read them?

Anyway, I'm all flustered 'cos my magic phrase isn't working any more!

I put up a notice for Redwillow's Ruins today, like "All welcome but BYOH" (actually I write like "Bring a bottle", but then I cross it out 'cos that's something different, isn't it?) and then I'm all "May sniff flowers", just to keep Sarge and his mates away.

But it totally didn't work! This Barb and a Fighter join anyway, bring in their own hired heals, and then totally run straight through the place without putting a foot wrong, and like in complete silence. Where's the fun in that!

I love Redwillow, I've had such fun in there over the years, and like more close shaves and narrowly rescued wipes than I care to admit - but that trip was done in about ten minutes flat.

Hmmmph, I need a good disaster to cheer me up.

Hugs and kisses,

Niwa.

P.S. Hiya Rooby! I hope Brun reads this to you and if she doesn't, tell her off from me!

Post Postcard from the Heretics

Dear Brun

You totally don’t have to read this card, ‘cos it will like soooo get you all frowning. Hand it to Rooby, wait wait wait, no, don’t hand it to Rooby ‘cos it’s all about teeny halflings totally getting chopped to weeny little pieces.

So, it’s “Purge the Heretics” today. I speak to Inquisitor Gnomon and I’m like “Hey, you sure about this?” but he’s like “What! Are you not done yet!” , so I put up my usual note on the board, and head off to the ship to freshen up. Come back, and there’s no takers, so I slip off to play in Searing Heights for a bit. (That last rare is totally taking forever!) Come back, and still totally no-one, not a peep.

I’m like, “Right then” and I change my notice to “Come slaughter cute little elves and hobbits. All welcome!” aaaaaand - yep, you got it. Full party in three minutes flat! Sure are a bloodthirsty lot ‘round here.

Well off we go for a nice rampage, ‘tho those halfling mercenaries are tough little *”&%^*£^!s (are you quite sure Rooby isn't reading this?) and they set up some totally nasty traps in the middle.

But we soooo wipe the floor with them, and I’m back off to the old Inquisitor and he’s all “Well done my girl” and pats me on the head and I’m like, ewwwwwwwww. Never liked Inquisitors anyway, and he’s more than creepy, there’s something seriously wrong with that guy.

Oh, and tell Rooby if she’s sooooo like “can’t sleep anywhere else” she can totally have my old goose down quilt. It may have a teeny hole in it from where I forgot to take my rapier off one night.

Hugs and kisses,

Niwa

Post Another Postcard from the Graveyard

Heya Brun!

You want to hear a proper disaster story?

You know after Redwillow's Ruins I’m all, “Hey Where's the excitement, I'm good with a bit of challenge!”

Just kick me, will you?

So there’s this last level 6 in my note book - Dead Girl’s Spellbook. Yeah, all right “Valak's Mausoleum” for you nitpickers out there. It's never come up, but fair enough, I’m like I’ll put up my own notice then. Now usually I'm like “All Welcome” and “May sniff flowers!” (to totally make sure Sarge doesn’t apply ) but of course I can’t this time because I know its on a timer so we'll need our running shoes, and I put “Hard” not Elite ‘cos I remember one this from before!

First up is a pure rogue, good, that’s handy with the totally nasty traps in there, although he's a bit odd - tall human Pirate type with a bushy black beard and like AC30 eyebrows. Name of Alphonso, but I guess that was his Mum's fault. Then a dwarfy pally, (are they always so spherical?) then another pally but a lanky elf with a bit of fighter about him, (hey, was I ever that skinny? I might have to go back on that diet) and then a Sorcy girl, and I’m wondering if five is enough.

Old Alphonso's doing that bouncing around in small circles thing, and I'm seriously thinking of sticking my leg out, when he like pipes up with “I hate hanging around waiting for a cleric, don’t you?”

I'm like, "Waiting for a cleric? Do peeps still do that?" I mean put on your mail, jump around a bit, and wave a wand! I admit I totally hire heals now and then for tough stuff but I've never thought about waiting for a cleric!

But our rogue is like really adamant, so I scribble out the other classes on my LFM notice, and I've hardly done it, when up pops a real live healy type person. I'm like "Hi", but I've hardly got it out before he's all "Oh, sorry, didn't see it was only Hard" and he's disappeared again!

Cue wails of despair from Alphonso! I'm like "OKay, okay!" and I send a tell to our cleric, like "Yeah, Elite, anything you want!" and he's good enough to come back in. Alphonso is totally jumping around me like a puppy and delivers a big sloppy kiss on the cheek and I'm all "Yeah, I love you too, now can we just do this!"

But before I let them in I give them the pep talk, 'cos I know this is not going to be a picnic. Still, rambling old vault full of deaders and traps, what better setup than a trapper, a cleric, two pallies and yours truly? With a bit of luck I'll be trailing along behind as usual, bashing the barrels.

Yeah, riiiiiiight .......

So, in we we jump, Elite, and get set up (notice how everyone just loves a good buff fest at the beginning, but always forgets later on?) I'm like, "You good with the traps then, Alphonso?" like just in case he needs to borrow some tools or something, and he's all "Traps? traps? I don't do traps, I'm DPS!"

Ah.

One of those then. I totally should have guessed, big tall human with a pirate hat and those bushy black eyebrows. I'm almost like, yeah, so what do you do with all those skill points then? Heal skill for that extra big recovery at the shrine? And I bet he's got a really really impressive tumble going on.

Ha, so its little old me on the traps then. I'm like checking my kit, and actually feeling not too bad, not now I've got those sexy bandanas from the Cove. (Sorry Brun, those goggles you made me just don't have the same swagger as a bright red bandanna!) I might just manage, and off we go.

Into that first big room and it's like totally chaos. Pep talk? I might as well have been doing my nails. In like three seconds we're scattered, and in the fourth second there's a ding - ah, that was the sorcy girl then. Pity, a bit of firewall would have been handy about now.

Well with a bit of jumping around (and a bit of jumping up and down and "Over HERE!") I herd them to the same corner, and Lanky throws the switch. But even with us all in one place, the mobs that got dragged in after us, on top of those arcane skellies are just too much. There's like red bars totally plummeting and I've like dropped my bashers for the the wand and shield and I'm thinking Ooooo, ****, when suddenly there's this woosh and we're all glowing this lovely pink and there's dead deaders dropping in ashes around us. Radiant Burst!

Did I ever say anything against real live bursting healers? That's a second kick you can give me, Brun.

So we escape that hall, and into that sort of mazy bit, and I spot the hidden shrine so we can rest and recover a bit. The sorc disappeared without a word in the first hall so now there's only five of us, but we’re starting to work together better, and I'm like, Maybe not a complete wipe after all? But the clock's at 19 mins left, so we drop our sandwiches and set off again. We're heading down the corridor, and I'm all "Wait wait wait, there's a totally nasty blade trap somewhere, now is it these stairs or the next ones?" Ding! It was these ones, and that's Tubby the pally floating around totally looking all transparent.

Well I pop on my sexy red bandanna and even remember skill boost, and manage to get the thing. Yeah, and then there's two more of them, just so's you get a nice surprise when you're all “Phew, we got past the trap then” It just shows 'tho, that a couple of rogue levels and good gear is totally all you need. Well, and putting a few skill points in the right place, I mutter, glaring at Alphonso the Great, although I don't think he's noticing.

So we get Tubby sorted out (17 mins now), and we do the big room with the galleries of skelly archers, and head on down to the split, and we all go together first one way then the other, and our poor little cleric really needs that shrine, but we're totally trucking now (16 mins) and I'm all, Hey, this might actually work!

Deep breath, and into the pools. I'm, "We haven't got time to do the spare chest, so lets just find the shrine", but of course I forget which hidden room is the shrine so we get the chest one, and they're all, "Well there it is, so why don't we just open it?" And it's only after we pop it and a whole room full of skellies jump us that I remember THATS why we don't just open it. (13 mins)

But Lanky and Tubby are going great guns and the cleric is a star, and even Alphonso is taking stuff down, 'tho I'm like wishing I've time to explain to him that Sneak Attack don't work on skellies.

We get to the second to last room, the one with the big flight of stairs where they all jump you, but we plan it a bit, and just about survive, and it's 10 mins, and I'm all, "Okay, I know I said stick together, but now we split just for this, and Alphonso, say you've got Evasion? Please?"

He's got evasion, and I daren't ask about the dex to go with it, so he and I each do one of sprint zerg thingies, he does the archers and I do the collapsing floor, and we get the switches and it works! Phew, 7 mins, and the end battle to go.

So we trot up to the end room, where the others are standing there just at the entrance looking nervously at the altar on its pedestal thingy, and the Cleric says "Better shrine!" I'm like, "I'll go back with you", but Alphonso is all "6 mins! No way!, Come on, lets go!" and before you can say Recitation we are in there.

Well if I thought the first fight was totally chaos, this is bedlam. I'm juggling weapons, you know what it's like, well actually you prolly don't with your ‘normous falchion, but me, I can't afford DR on anything so it's hammers for the skellies and cutty stuff for the wights and ghost busters for the wraiths and wand and shield for me, and my Ram's has run out and I need a different ring for the Wis to cast it again, and in the middle of it the cleric shouts "I'm out, wands only now!" so I swap to wand whipping to help 'cos he needs a hand and I reckon Lanky is hitting harder than I am anyway, and then there's a Ding and Alphonso's bought it, and my wand only totally goes and dies!

What, I had three! But they don't do that thing like pots, where they magically reappear on your belt when they run out, so now I've got my head buried in my bag, and I'm dodging skellies and taking down wights and hunting through the junk in the bottom of my pack swearing "Please be here! If you're here I'll listen to Brun and keep my bag tidy and clean my room and everything! Please be ... Ah, there you are!"

So fresh wand in hand I look up and Oh noes! That soulstone is our cleric? Ding! and there goes Tubby! There's only one wight left and he's getting ready to cast so I get him and now there's just Lanky and me and meany old Valak, and 40 seconds! I take a slash at Valak but Lanky takes a hit - he’s down to 40 HPs, so I grab the wand, and it's 30 seconds. Come on Lanky! Oops, nearly lost him, come on wand! Never mind haste pots, what I want is a faster wrist action! Valak’s on a slither, you can totally do it! But 10 seconds! Oh, watch it Lanky! Whip, wand, whip! 9 seconds, 8, 7 ....

Do we make it? Ah, what would a real bard fashion of this story. The Legend of Lanky, Niwa, and the Slow Wand of Cure Serious. A cliff hanger to beat the best ...

Of course we make it, silly! With totally, oh more than several seconds to go

I even trot the stones back to the shrine, and we all get our loot and there's a totally brill ending for everyone.

BUT ...

If you ever hear me complaining about a smooth fast run again, well that's a third kick and you can totally make it as hard as you like.