Community Member

Default Make "Flame Arrow" ammunition stack to 1000

I really like conjuring flaming ammunition for my questing needs. Its a huge edge early-game, and still viable late-game(a nice extra 1d6 damage basically for free).

The problem is the conjured ammo will not go into quivers and it only stacks up to 100. So to get enough for a few quests, I have to fill an entire pack. Thats kinda irritating, you know? If the ammo just stacked to 1000 like the conjured bolts do(which you now get to conjure in chunks of 1000), that would be a dramatic improvement to the spell.

OK with me

Flame arrow spell creates 100 flame arrows.

They currently are in stacks of 100.

They do not go into quivers.

Thus stay in stacks of 100.

Lets allow them to be put into quivers. /signed

However, if we allow them to be stacked to 1000 in a single inventory slot, then one must ask themselves, why not have all arrows stack to 1000 in a single inventory slot. Then you might ask, what is the point of the quiver. Cause if a quiver allows you to stack 1000 of each type (thin House D quiver) but I could simply just stack them to 1000 in a single inventory slot, why use a quiver. Yes, it would still save space, so I say lets have all types of arrow stack to 1000 in a quiver, or in the inventory spots. Ramble to continue..........

-Bunk
    [CENTER]Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Conjure Bolts was changed to be more user-friendly by creating stacks of 1,000.
    I see absolutely no reason that Flame Arrow should not be given the same treatment.

/signed
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.” ~ Mark Twain

/signed..

..but I sign for *ALL* arrows to get the 1k stack treatment.

However the only problem I can see with this, is how it will affect Arcane Archers. A primary benefit to this prestige is the 'unlimited' magic arrows they fire, and allowing for 1k stacks of arrows is tantamount to 'nearly unlimited' for all intents and purposes for non-Arcane Archers, reducing the need to take the prestige.

Arcane Archers would thus need some other ability added to their magic arrows to make up for that, perhaps 1d6 sonic, 1d6 light or 1d6 untyped base additional damage per magic arrow.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferrite View Post
    /signed..

..but I sign for *ALL* arrows to get the 1k stack treatment.

However the only problem I can see with this, is how it will affect Arcane Archers. A primary benefit to this prestige is the 'unlimited' magic arrows they fire, and allowing for 1k stacks of arrows is tantamount to 'nearly unlimited' for all intents and purposes for non-Arcane Archers, reducing the need to take the prestige.

Arcane Archers would thus need some other ability added to their magic arrows to make up for that, perhaps 1d6 sonic, 1d6 light or 1d6 untyped base additional damage per magic arrow.
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but arcane archer can summon +5 arrows AND _imbue_ arrows with certain stuff like extra damage or slaying (which i thought was their huge benefit over non-AA)? Imho those 2 abilities alone are better than the flame arrow thing. Also, can AAs not use conjure flame arrows and also use their imbue ability on top of that?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lame_name View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but arcane archer can summon +5 arrows AND _imbue_ arrows with certain stuff like extra damage or slaying (which i thought was their huge benefit over non-AA)? Imho those 2 abilities alone are better than the flame arrow thing. Also, can AAs not use conjure flame arrows and also use their imbue ability on top of that?
    Yes and no.

AA's can summon 100% Returning +5 Arrows at level 18 but before that the arrows are tiered, +1 at 6, +2 at 9, +3 at 12, +4 at 15. I can see how some might like this idea, but I can also see how the ability to summon several stacks of 1000 arrows could devalue the AA PrE a bit. Currently at cap AA's basically have two things going for them. Infinite arrows and Imbue Slaying Arrows. Almost nobody uses the other imbues by cap except for fun.

AA's can only use Flame Arrow Wands/Scrolls with UMD really, because it's not a Ranger spell (and most AA's have at least 6 levels of Ranger). Flame Arrow is an Arcane spell.

The thing is though that the Flame Arrow spell was changed a few updates ago and can now summon bolts too, so I can see how Rogue Mechanics and Arti's might like this changing.

Personally I'm a bit torn on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel666 View Post
    Yes and no.

AA's can summon 100% Returning +5 Arrows at level 18 but before that the arrows are tiered, +1 at 6, +2 at 9, +3 at 12, +4 at 15. I can see how some might like this idea, but I can also see how the ability to summon several stacks of 1000 arrows could devalue the AA PrE a bit. Currently at cap AA's basically have two things going for them. Infinite arrows and Imbue Slaying Arrows. Almost nobody uses the other imbues by cap except for fun.

AA's can only use Flame Arrow Wands/Scrolls with UMD really, because it's not a Ranger spell (and most AA's have at least 6 levels of Ranger). Flame Arrow is an Arcane spell.

The thing is though that the Flame Arrow spell was changed a few updates ago and can now summon bolts too, so I can see how Rogue Mechanics and Arti's might like this changing.

Personally I'm a bit torn on this one.
    I used to rail against anything I felt "eroded" the benefits of Arcane Archers. This cause several rants on how arti's didn't just step on AA toes, but stood on their feet like 6 a year old dancing with their parent. However, with the enhancement pass looming, and with the sneak peaks we've seen making PrEs so radically different, I feel that AA's will have so many new benefits and abilities that I have no problem with ideas like high-stacking Flame Arrow ammunition (though I would also love to see this find its way onto the Ranger spell list).

Of course, if FLame arrow can stack to 1000, then normal ammunition probably shoudl too. Which means Quivers would need to be updated to have their voume increased to make them comparatively better. And while they're mucking with that code, they might as well make quivers work in ways the community has been asking for for a while, making things like ammo-swapping as easy as weapon swapping, and things of that nature. So is higher stacking Flame Arrow ammunition leads to quivers being less incredibly stupid - I'm in!

Community Member

Having every ammo stack to 1,000 would be fine, though maybe not neccessary. I'd settle for just being able to put my flaming bolts in quivers, too. Really, anything that keeps me from having to devote an ENTIRE inventory bag to flaming bolts...

/signed make all conjured ammo act like conjured bolts
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eladiun View Post
    /signed make all conjured ammo act like conjured bolts
    What, you mean not work when cast from a scroll? :P

Community Member jandragarious01's Avatar

Default Another idea while we are on this topic

I really like the idea of summoning bigger stacks and I wouldn't mind increaced sp cost for that.

One thought I had was adding options to the right click menu, like with meta magics, to set a desired quantity to summon on each casting. It would have the correct sp cost adjustment. These 50 at a time castings are tedious.

I agree -- all ammunition should stack to 1000.

Heck, all ammunition should stack to 9999. Inventory management isn't fun -- and there's really no "game balance" reason to limit this.

Heck, everything should stack to 9999, in inventory, bags, wherever. See above. Simplify the code and get rid of contextual stack limits, period.
    The Brotherhood of BYOH--Thelanis: Charged, WF Artificer; Venomshade, Half-Elf Monk; Poxs, Fist of an Angry God; Crash, Pale Monkster

Limit the 1,000 stack to just conjoured arrows. You'd still add to the stack 100 at a time. Mechanic stays the same, quivers don't need to be increased.

I'd even suggest a conjoured arrow/bolt quiver, holding capacity 5,000 but conjoured arrows still disappear on logout. I'd get one for my artificer. couple stacks of 1,000 bolts and I find my encumbrance go from light to medium. Usually it's the dragonshards that weigh the most. curse those max stack dragonshard fragments!
    Daishado

"drink triple ... see double ... act single! uh oh wife aggro" *hides*

Ironically, Conjure Bolts changed to 100 per cast to 1000 per cast when a dev started playing an artificer and found it boring to conjure it 10 times per stack. So, we need to convince a dev to start playing a non-AA archer.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

while we're at it
    conjure bolts wands plz~
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    while we're at it
    conjure bolts wands plz~
    The only class that has the conjur bolts spell is artificer, and they are the only class that needs it. Its a level 1 spell so if you have even 1 level of artificer you have access to it. If you aren't playing an artificer you can probably get by with the 1000 bolts that fit in a House D thin quiver.

My "palificer"(2 Artificer/18 Paladin) got by fine with a few store-bought Large Thin Quivers for longest time. I'd have to top-off between runs but 3,000 bolts was enough. This was back when the conjur bolts spell was still making stacks of 100 and since it didn't give higher +s on my mostly-paladin, it wasn't time-efficient to use.

Community Member

/signed

in fact i would change all the munition creating spells so that they create 500 per cast and make stacksize 500. This would leave Quiver useful and still safe lot of casting.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread