Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Script Not firing is the real cause with hallway bugging out.

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post

Snipped

This is where it gets weird and tragic. The quest says that now I need to “Fight my way to the Arena of Power”. Wiki says that a lot of mages at this point just D-Door to save time, so this is what I do. Except, there are NO ENEMIES TO FIGHT! None, anywhere. I go the arena gate and I can’t get in, and there is no one there. Once I figure out I am glitched I submit a ticket. Over 30 minutes later (admittedly it was Saturday night), I am contacted (I’m still in the quest), and we try to fix it together. The admin rep tries for 15 minutes to fix it. He gets the promoter to show up, but he won’t let us in. So after 15 minutes (I’ve now been in here almost 3 hours again), he basically says “Sorry, there’s nothing I can do. You need to report this as a bug.” So now I am pretty upset. I ask if there is anything that he can do to advance or even complete the quest for me, explaining how many hours I have spent on this silly thing, and he says No, and refers me to the website to report a bug. Why exactly, after speaking to an admin, do I need to report a bug? If he knows it is bugged, then why is HE not reporting it?

While all this is concluding, my 2 friends log on again. They want to try again, despite what I have just been through. I have an idea in my mind that MAYBE it’s my D-Door idea that bugged the quest, so we’ll try again, on CASUAL again. Long story short, about 2 hours later, I grab the Horn on Endurance again, and the SAME THING HAPPENS. No enemies - no way to advance the quest. So after 8 hours in Crucible, I have nothing to show for it, and I can’t advance the story in Gianthold because it is bugged, at least on Thelanis.

My newest theory is that it MIGHT have worked right on Friday night if we had survived, but that whatever they updated on Saturday morning (on Thelanis at least) bugged the quest.

I guess what I’m feeling most of all though, as a paying customer (VIP + over $50 spent in DDO store), is that my “pain” fell on deaf ears, and I’m feeling like Turbine just doesn’t care.

So I put this out there so that 1) Players on Thelanis will not run the Crucible until this is fixed, and 2) To get advice on what to do next regarding my correspondence with Turbine.

Sorry for the length, but I needed to get this “off my chest”, so to speak. Thanks for listening 
    There is a mechanic in the final hallway that sadly GM cannot help with.

I had the same problem you had a few times and after discussing a few years back with a very kind GM he explained what happens when you get stuck with "Fight Your Way to the Arena of Power"

What happens is if you kill the any of the Bellmen along the hallway Before they ring the bell you will not get the next spawn wave of mobs.

The GM explained basically that they are not authorized to run / perform scripts within the game..... Apparently only deceloppers have that authority. This particular mechanic in the final hallway is purely script based and the GM's have no possibility of helping adventurers in completing the quest.

At the time I asked the GM if he could simply teleport us into the arena as a workaround. Even if he did that the bosses would not spawn as the script needs to be fired by killing all previous hallway mobs.

Also what is highly probable you may have had a mob run into the wall and this also would make the quest bug out similarly to the above mentioned scenario.

Hope this helps understand the frustration you may have at this time. It sucks when it happens but it is purely out of bad luck this occurs or when you nuke the bellmen too quickly unfortunately.

Laters and dont give up.
    Thelanis Server Accolyte 21 PL FVS Completionist Super Soul Accelerated 20 PL Completionist Super Sorc Accessory 3 Ranger 3 Sorc 1 Wiz PL Artificer Accusal 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Pale Master Accxer Mathbane Barb PL Barbarian Acc 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Pale Master Ctrl 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Archmage Jati 3 Monk 3 Ftr PL Tactics Monk Somnath 3 Monk 3 Ftr PL Dark Monk

Community Member

Using hirelings to res you in the swim: when they teleport to you, they will often have a blocked line of sight to you for whatever reason. You need to move your ghost so they can res you.

Ahh yes, the crucible. I hated it, totally utterly, 1st time through it took us 4 hours for a fail. Next time 3 hrs success.

Funnily enough, I now love the quest and think it's one of the best in the game, it really is fun, the swim adds a great element of tension.

But yeah, I can fully understand the rage, I believe I 'raged' on the forums after our first attempt (we also went in blind with no knowledge of the quest).

Give it a chance and I'm sure you'll come to love the quest as well.

It's one of those where you do need to stop and think, make sure you have done the right things in each section, don't rush it too much (until you're 'uber').

so I guess yeah Hi, welcome to DDO.

Welcome to DDO. Not only do you get to deal with bugs, you have us too. Doesn't it make you feel AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by karpedieme View Post

I had the same problem you had a few times and after discussing a few years back with a very kind GM he explained what happens when you get stuck with "Fight Your Way to the Arena of Power"

What happens is if you kill the any of the Bellmen along the hallway Before they ring the bell you will not get the next spawn wave of mobs.

The GM explained basically that they are not authorized to run / perform scripts within the game..... Apparently only deceloppers have that authority. This particular mechanic in the final hallway is purely script based and the GM's have no possibility of helping adventurers in completing the quest.

At the time I asked the GM if he could simply teleport us into the arena as a workaround. Even if he did that the bosses would not spawn as the script needs to be fired by killing all previous hallway mobs.

Also what is highly probable you may have had a mob run into the wall and this also would make the quest bug out similarly to the above mentioned scenario.

Hope this helps understand the frustration you may have at this time. It sucks when it happens but it is purely out of bad luck this occurs or when you nuke the bellmen too quickly unfortunately.

Laters and dont give up.
    The OP specifically recognized he didn't put the horn in. Your problem indeed exists, but is not what the OP faced.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    You ran a new quest three times, assume it bugged, then blame the GM for your error. Not ok with that.

You clearly stated the objective, “Fight my way to the Arena of Power”. Did you do this? Nope. You D doored and skipped the objective. Did you use the horn? Nope. You used the other two horns to open doors, did you think this third horn wouldn't?

Blaming a GM for a quest not completing when you didn't do what it asked you to is not ok in my book. Spend that energy learning the quest, and submitting when there's an actual bug.

A more realistic approach than blaming Turbine, attacking a GM, and ranting on the forums would have been to start a thread and ask what do I do. Literally dozens of players would have jumped to answer this question. I would have been one of them. Try asking for advice rather than attacking people immediately.
    I will choose to reply to this.

Yes, I messed up. I admited that, and I apologized. I even just edited the title of the thread to make this clear as well. I also made it clear that my friends and I are all new players. Next time I will come to the forums and instead say "What am I doing wrong?" (which I thought is why we have a wiki, more on this later.)

But something tells me that no matter what I do it will never good enough for such a uber-player as yourself. I realize now that my biggest mistake was saying ANYTHING in this hallowed "general discussion" forum instead of new player advice, where I usually post. The people in that other forum have been extremely helpful. In fact, almost all of the responses in this forum have been patient, understanding, and offering helpful advice.

But in your case, AFTER I had already said I was sorry, you felt the need to make me feel even worse than I already did. Thank you for that. You do realize that repeated actions such as this will result in us newer players getting frustrated and taking our money elsewhere, right? And then the game dies full of level 25 god-like characters wondering what went wrong.

In case you are wondering, I will explain EXACTLY what was going through my mind.

1) The first 3 horns ended in a lion-like statue in PLAIN SIGHT, where the horn was to be placed. This is not the case with the horn of endurance. Apparently with this particular horn, where you need to place it is actually BEHIND the place where you are supposed to place it. I expected it to be in or around the same place I acquired the horn. Clearly I was wrong.
    2) The game tells you, as soon as you grab the horn, "Fight your way to the Arena of Power." It doesn't say "locate the place where this horn goes." Well, we had already seen the arena from the very beginning of the quest, so we figured that there must be enemies to fight on the way back. When we got to the arena, we stood at a closed gate. It didn't have a sign saying "No silly, this is the back of the arena." We got to the arena, and saw no enemies along the way. We were confused. Now, in the game's defense, it didn't tell us to place those horns in the statues either, but because we could clearly SEE those statues, it was considerably more obvious.
    3) The GM who responded clearly did not know the quest. Some may argue that this is not their job. But I deliberately pointed out to him that I thought it odd I still had the horn in my inventory and found nowhere to place it, and he had no answer for this. I just assumed that these people actually PLAYED the game. Obviously I was wrong on this point, but it does seem odd to me that a gm would not know this about a famous quest that has existed for years. Instead he searched the quest for enemies that might have been stuck in walls somewhere, and concluded that it was a bug. His words, not mine.
    4) So we checked the wiki, MULTIPLE times. Here is what the wiki says, word for word:

"◦Test of Endurance: You have to swim through an underwater tunnel filled with spikes. The Horn of Endurance and a key for a locked chest is guarded by a group of gnolls. Letting a rogue or caster type solo/duo this is a typical strategy (sneak past them or hypnotize them and leave). There is a stuck point to the right of the gnolls which you don't want to jump into. This part is great with a strong swimmer, there are many spikes and very difficult. You can also Dimension Door out if you're a mage-type after you get the horn. ◦Underwater Water-flow Control Valve: Underwater , in the river you have to pass through to get to the Test of Agility, in the southwest corner there is in a small alcove, (behind some stone pillars) with a valve. Using this valve stops the flow of water making the swim through an underwater tunnel easier for the swimmers during the Test of Endurance. The valve resets every ~10 seconds, stationing a party member there is required to monitor and use the valve again when the water flow starts. Using the valve can make the Test of Endurance more manageable if your party is having trouble with the swim. Caution: If the party member misses the opening to the valve they may be sucked to their death by the giant fan which controls the water flow.

◦Fight them in the Arena: There are a lot of mobs on the way to the arena. Don't use charm spells, as clearing them all is required. (Or use charm spells and dispel charms one at a time). Then shrine up, go in the arena, firewall bosses, then talk to the giant to get credit. Get chests and that's about it. ◦These aren't respawns, there are no true respawns in the quest. They are simply sent out in waves to fight you, and will stop once you kill them all."

Do you consider this "clear" instructions on what to do after you get the horn?

5) Finally, I came to the forums. Admitedly angry, but I hope that you can see why. I said that it was bugged because 1) The GM TOLD ME it was a bug and to submit a bug report, and 2) It just happened to coincide, timing wise, with Thelanis being down unexpectedly earlier in the day. It all seemed to "fit". I was also motivated by concern for my fellow players, in case the entire quest was glitched on Thelanis, which is why I issued my "Warning".

In conclusion, I AGAIN want to 1) Apologize to my fellow players, to the GM, and to Turbine, for wasting their time and then saying that this was a bug (as I was instructed to do), and not just my own ignorance. 2) Say thank you again to all the players who have offered kind help and advice in this thread and so many others over the last 2 months that my friends and I have been playing. On the whole everyone here is very helpful, and this new player REALLY appreciates it

When you went in water you passed near the place where you put the horn,wiki wont explain everything for you,you want it to explain step by step for you,then you wouldnt finish this quest in 5h.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Wow.... what's with the ddoor. I don't think I've ever used it. Curious that the wiki says to. As you're going through just before I think it's the 6 door puzzle or else the jump through the door fast puzzle is a lever to a door on the left. Opening that means that it's faster to get back around after doing the swim. Swimming that little bit after you got the horn from the dudes doesn't seem as big a deal after you have actually got to that point - once you're in the water they can't chase you.

Also... this is quite a difficult quest. Kudos to you and your friends for being determined to beat it. But totally annoying it bugged out on you.

Quote Originally Posted by karpedieme View Post

Laters and dont give up.
    Interesting. Warning noted.
    Last edited by MeliCat; 12-10-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

In conclusion, I AGAIN want to 1) Apologize to my fellow players, to the GM, and to Turbine, for wasting their time and then saying that this was a bug (as I was instructed to do), and not just my own ignorance. 2) Say thank you again to all the players who have offered kind help and advice in this thread and so many others over the last 2 months that my friends and I have been playing. On the whole everyone here is very helpful, and this new player REALLY appreciates it
    Discussions such as this serve to educate everyone, and are thus a good thing. After multiple attempts over many hours I think there are very few who could hold a civil tongue.

Last Crucible I ran (a couple days ago) we cleared the path to the Arena but still were not let in. We scoured the corridor for mobs in the walls (btw Evil Eyes from the Shard of Xoriat appear very useful for this task as they seem to believe that they can shoot through anything - and usually can! But I digress. While waiting for a GM for seeming eons, the mage ddoored back to the beginning and found the missing mob spawned there, killed it, and we were on our way...

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

I'm reasonably sure that it's literally impossible for the end corridor to bug by killing a 'bell-man' too early regardless of what a GM may have said.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I've quickened enlarged insta-killed all of them before being noticed before and they still somehow bang that bell from beyond the grave.

Agreed that it bugs out though lately; I've experienced mobs in walls in that corridor lately too. I think the cramped space and abundance of goons makes it a trouble spot.

Kudos to the OP for some nicely written posts in here too.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Alternatively:

1. you could try "general chat" (if that works from quests) - I've asked for help there.
    2. ask from friends on your friend list (make friends with experienced players, send them a nice "how are you?" first, and "can I ask you a question?") That's helped me a few times.
    3. start a "help" lfm - like "in crucible, could use some advice."
    Last edited by Singular; 12-13-2012 at 07:42 PM.

OP, I'm sorry you felt like I was attacking you but I quoted directly from you OP

"I guess what I’m feeling most of all though, as a paying customer (VIP + over $50 spent in DDO store), is that my “pain” fell on deaf ears, and I’m feeling like Turbine just doesn’t care." -stefferweffer

You attacked a GM, and Turbine after attempting the quest a few times. I don't find that ok. I told you

"A more realistic approach than blaming Turbine, attacking a GM, and ranting on the forums would have been to start a thread and ask what do I do. Literally dozens of players would have jumped to answer this question. I would have been one of them. Try asking for advice rather than attacking people immediately." -Syllph

I'm not trying to be rude, but rather honest. Attacking the Devs when it's not their fault won't win many friends here. You said you apologized, but I was referring to your original post which was flaming turbine for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    They need to pop the soul stones out of the maze somewhere accessible. Sort of dumb people release and run back or take NPC clerics in.
    No soul stones should always stay where they drop they shouldnt make things special in a quest where it isnt required people just need to learn how to do the swim.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Default auftebuh

Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    OP, I'm sorry you felt like I was attacking you but I quoted directly from you OP

"I guess what I’m feeling most of all though, as a paying customer (VIP + over $50 spent in DDO store), is that my “pain” fell on deaf ears, and I’m feeling like Turbine just doesn’t care." -stefferweffer

You attacked a GM, and Turbine after attempting the quest a few times. I don't find that ok. I told you

"A more realistic approach than blaming Turbine, attacking a GM, and ranting on the forums would have been to start a thread and ask what do I do. Literally dozens of players would have jumped to answer this question. I would have been one of them. Try asking for advice rather than attacking people immediately." -Syllph

I'm not trying to be rude, but rather honest. Attacking the Devs when it's not their fault won't win many friends here. You said you apologized, but I was referring to your original post which was flaming turbine for no good reason.
    am i wrong for thinking that him quoting he is vip andspent 50 bucks on the game as funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Akristorn View Post
    am i wrong for thinking that him quoting he is vip andspent 50 bucks on the game as funny?
    No, but you might be wrong for necroing a year and half old thread just to say so
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Crucible is one of the best designed quests we have. Calling it stupid stopped me from reading your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    No, but you might be wrong for necroing a year and half old thread just to say so
    necromancy, the family friendly hobby that includes ALL the generations.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    Crucible is one of the best designed quests we have. Calling it stupid stopped me from reading your thread.
    We'll try to reach him/her to let him/her know!
    Cannith.

Community Member

But something tells me that no matter what I do it will never good enough for such a uber-player as yourself. I realize now that my biggest mistake was saying ANYTHING in this hallowed "general discussion" forum instead of new player advice, where I usually post. The people in that other forum have been extremely helpful. In fact, almost all of the responses in this forum have been patient, understanding, and offering helpful advice.
    Don´t try to turn this into evil elitists versus poor new player drama. He told you nothing of the kind. He asked you to ponder your own actions first and act with some decency in regards to others. These are free feats for lvl 1 adults.

Community Member

OP: there are generally three kinds of responses to forum posts.

1) helpful and informative.
    2) people who want to tell you how good they are
    3) people who want to tell you how bad you are

Surprisingly you got more helpful and informative responses than is typical. You did well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast