Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    1. There are classes that are taught about how to file an EFFECTIVE customer service complaint, part of which is listing what would make you happy as a customer.
    There are also classes taught on how to PROVIDE effective customer service. Why does it seem like no one from Turbine has ever been to one?

I have had more negative customer service experiences with Turbine in less than 3 years here than I have had cumulatively with every other company I have ever done business with over the course of my entire life. That includes

1) snarky developer comments on these forums
    2) snarky forum moderator comments I have had mailed to me
    3) crappy experiences with GMs

This notably excludes the the current poor state of the actual game.

About the only negative situation I have managed to avoid with Turbine is a billing issue. They no longer have any current credit card info from me, and they are unlikely to see that change any time soon based upon the above.

For too long, this company has been run like a country club for its employees rather than an actual service provider. The recent restructuring provided a needed wake up call. There's a new sheriff in town, and I hope WB cleans up the rampant unprofessional behavior that undermines the health of this game.

This all starts of course, with the first post I made, which is about BEING SPECIFIC when listing these immersion destroying bugs that are still there from the expansion launch. I do see alot of complaint threads on the forums about bugs this and bugs that. What I dont see is people getting SPECIFIC with what is ruining their play experience. In the world of CS, broad generalized complaints usually get ignored. Wont tell us what your issue is, we cant fix it.
    Crikey! Every update someone goes to the trouble of creating a brand new thread that tracks the NEW issues introduced into the game. How many times do these problems need to be laid out in detail? Anyone who wants to make an honest effort to understand the game's issues can simply read that thread.

Trying to pretend that the issues are not well known is a customer "service" strategy that attempts to avoid actually providing service.

Community Member

Funny thing about DDO, is that they HAVE provided you with a service. You play their game correct. There you go, problem solved. Yes it's "buggy" service, but a LOT of the bugs don't make the game unplayable, it makes it something you adapt to. Will they get around to fixing the bugs, who knows, but if your still playing the game than they've done their job of providing a service. If your not having fun, or don't enjoy the service, here's my simple and honestly blunt answer.

Quit.

If you hate that there are so many bugs. Stop playing. No one is forcing you to play a buggy game. It's not like Turbine has a gun to your head forcing you to sit at your computer and play a "miserable" game of their design.

I'm not playing right now, but for me taking breaks from a game is common. I've ALWAYS done it. And when I feel the time is right, I come back. I'm just on a Skyrim, CoD Black Ops, Mass Effect spree.

Karnasis (Human Wizard, Pale Master, Level 27), Taldall (Half-Orc, Monk- Perpetually abandoned)

Community Member

How many people were addicted to the software you developed like it was pixelated crack? I too work for a software company, and I can say that our users dont complain this much if and when they feel the way DDO players post that they feel about the product. They just start using the competitors applications. What we have here in this game is a bunch of people who have been complaining about bugs for years now after most updates, who are still here to complain about the next update. This does send a message, and that message is that while we can accuse them of being substandard all we want, we will still show up and continue paying/playing regularly. As far as influencing them to turn it around and make things right for the users, that kind of message doesnt get it done.

The only thing that holds them responsible is the bottom line, and people round these parts will complain up a storm but at the end of the day not only still contribute to that bottom line, but support things that take focus off the game, which is why the cycle continues. Complaining up a storm in a pattern based fashion for long periods of time and still being here does absolve them from responsibility, as unfortunate at that may seem. So now the focus moves further and further away from the game people constantly complain about, and put more on convenience based microtransactions, which are widely supported by the same people. It will be far too late to turn it around when people finally realize they are kicking themselves on this topic.
    Really, you can only play so many different sides of this coin....

First, you complain that people play the game but don't pay anything in anymore. Then, you state that customers' valid complaints are ignored because they DO continue to spend money. If people stop playing, your answer is that they no longer play, hence their opinion doesn't matter.

Did you train the DDO customer service personnel? It starting to seem that way.

In the end, its the "crack addicted" who will end up hurt by these strategies that avoid constructively dealing with DDO's issues. You know, people addicted to their Turbine paycheck. People addicted to posting thousands of comments on the DDO forums. The rest of us are simply recreational users.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabaon View Post

If you hate that there are so many bugs. Stop playing. No one is forcing you to play a buggy game. It's not like Turbine has a gun to your head forcing you to sit at your computer and play a "miserable" game of their design.
    Wait... what? I don't HAVE to play???

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    There are also classes taught on how to PROVIDE effective customer service. Why does it seem like no one from Turbine has ever been to one?

I have had more negative customer service experiences with Turbine in less than 3 years here than I have had cumulatively with every other company I have ever done business with over the course of my entire life. That includes
    Ever stopped to wonder how much DDO players put into the game per month (in hard currency) and how much customer service they require? I would suspect that Turbine at best breaks even if every VIP requires one customer service call per month (internal measured costs are vastly higher than anything they pay their serfs). After the expansion scheduling debacle, turbine's support costs could be higher than development costs.

My guess is that customer service is supposed to make you indifferent to its upcoming cancellation .

Quote Originally Posted by THOTHdha View Post
    I find this entire thread extremely funny. I came back after quitting shortly after the expansion to see if the quality has actually improved any. And I find that a few issues have been cleaned up, but it is still a pretty massive tangle of twisted wires. And the 'amazing expansion' that I put over $100 for a game that I loved is still not worth playing. Maybe in a couple more updates....

And rather than recognizing that in the current state of things there are some very massive problems with the game, instead of wanting to improve the game, the fans are attacking other fans who are voicing concerns about the state of things. It is not 'entitlement' to point out that a product is not meeting expectations. Complaining about the flaws in a product shows that you care about it. Zealously mocking anyone who dares say anything 'bad' just lets the flaws continue to fester, driving away even more people, letting the product dwindle.
    I personally can't think of any massive problems. The expansion is well worth the $80 I paid for it--I absolutely love all the new content, and the EDs. I still play the game at all levels and settings, and the game has never been unplayable. If you haven't played all the new content yet, you really should, it's great.

P.S. Every game I play, PC and XBOX has bugs...newly installed software on my PC, often times causes weird bugs or incompatabilitie...it's just how it is.

In a car you have 4 or 6 or 8 sparkplugs and wires, in software, you have 100's of thousands of lines of code, to do the same work those sparkplugs and wires do.
    Last edited by moops; 12-09-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

Things like the stuck in wall bugs (it's a game breaker when you're in the end fight and the boss bugs in the wall). Then you put in a ticket, wait 30 minutes, then the GM tells you to start the quest again......

That one is happening on a regular basis.

The LR bug with EDs, another one that's been in the mix for a while.

VON3 where grasp of the earth dragon (Monk anti-stun buff) murat seems to bypass this on occasion and you get stunned anyway. (can be a game breaked when you die because you're stunned and shouldn't be).

The ladder glitch (this has been around ever since I started playing (not a game breaker).

There is a rather large list, those above are just the daily ones that are fairly annoying.

No one expects the game to be perfect, but I do expect that anything that is a game breaker to be fixed very quickly if not immediately after it's discovery. Waiting weeks / months for a game breaking bug to be fixed is really horrible.

The 'game' itself is great, but it's starting to fray at the seams and it just seems as time goes on the bugs are getting more of a grip and the fixes are just not happening.

This does annoy me as I do pay a sub and I did pay the $80 for the expansion (which is very nice, but again those same bugs). I can't off the top of my head think of anything specific to ES / ED (apart from the LR bug), to be honest I notice the bugs more when I am levelling through 1 - 20 than I do in ES.

Bugs are going to happen and for the most part yeah we can put up with them, like the ladder glitch, but once it stops you from completing a quest (especially near the end or at end fight), then it has gone beyond a bug and just becomes 'broken' .

Very simple Answer:

Do any of you complaining about the game not being 100% play on the test server anytime and EVERYTIME a new update is incoming, just to help test out the incoming update?

No? Ok, well then hush up.

Complicated Answer that will explain the answer in the simple section:

Games are incredibly complicated and extremely intricate. As an example, my friends and I used to play on Test Server Everquest, and as such got to know the GM's and Dev's VERY well, as in, we knew each other by facial recognition a lot of times. One such person was in charge of certain zones, and had implemented a new code for one of the zones before heading off to a con... he received a call while at the con, checked in on the game, ran some tests, and came back saying he had to bring the game down because ALL zones were crashing, why? Because he broke BARDS. Because of how the game worked, bards had to be specially considered in each zone's programming (and it made sense that they did it that way due to how bards worked in that game)... and when he made a change to one zone, it inadvertently changed how a specific (very often used) bard song played out... well in response to that change, it also affected every other zone, and due to that, it rebounded with other problems that THEN affected other zones, causing a massive rippling of compounding effects throughout the game.

The change he made? IIRC it was that the song they played had a slightly different graphic (there was a problem with the bard's hands being off-spot in that zone)... he fixed a problem, one that was a tiny change supposedly affecting only ONE zone... and it crashed the entire game.

Programs are incredibly complicated and extremely intricate.

Why are things not 100% when they roll out? Because the number of people testing the game is less than 1000 usually. And they test it for about 3-6 months usually. Then they THINK they have it smoothed out and good to go, they STILL test it for a month or two... THEN they roll it out to a number of people far exceeding the number they tested with, and HOPE.

In some games, the number of players is 1-4 MILLION players. In DDO, it is probably more like 100-200K... in DDO's case, that is 100-200 TIMES the testing population. That means that if the testers couldn't find it in 6 months, but HAD to wait until it was 100%, the patch/update/game wouldn't come out for 50-100 years... simple math really.

Let's say the populace finds 10 bugs within the first week of release. At 200K players, that is 200 times faster than 1K testers would find it. So, 200 Weeks for the testers? Wanna wait 3-5 years for each update to your game?

No, I didn't think so either...

Also, something else that sometimes has a HUGE bearing on whether bugs show up: Stress. 1K testers can only push the system so much, to get a stress test, you HAVE to release it to the public, unless you can get people to come to your test server...

Which brings me back to my first point: Do you play on the test server and help them test stuff out EVERYTIME something is offered for testing? No? Ok, then hush up and stop your yammerin'. It's like someone complaining about government decisions when they never take the time to vote... don't vote? then hush up. Don't test? then hush up.

If you DO test, however, then how come you let them push something live before they fixed it?!? How dare you allow them to release a non-100% product?!?
    Danse Mortelle - Deadly Rogue
    Aes Sedai - Pure Healer/Walking Shrine
    Leader of Lords of Chaos on Fernia

Quote Originally Posted by -Avalon- View Post
    snip
    1) No one's asking for 100% bug free content, just something playable that doesn't make you waste your time. Like a Von6 that won't give you a 3rd massive lag spike even if you made it somehow through the first 2.

2) Not asking for it to be good on release either, provided the major bugs can be fixed fast enough when they hit live, at least. Lag is not something that needs to be tested, we need a fresh generation of hamsters in those wheels and we've known this for a while now.

Since you're basing on those 2 wrong assumptions, the whole argument might be pointless :/
    Cannith - Juzam, Water Savant II Ranger 6 Monk 2 AA/ Orocarn, Stalwart Defender III Monk 2 / Taigongwanng, Sorc TRing - Guardiani di Eberron

Community Member

P.S. Every game I play, PC and XBOX has bugs...newly installed software on my PC, often times causes weird bugs or incompatabilitie...it's just how it is.

Comments like this are pretty silly. I play a lot of other PC games and not single one of them allows for bugs to exist. After new content is released, there will be major patches sometimes in the first week. I have never played one single game that had major bugs last more than 1 month after release dates.

The other comments about "Love it or Leave it" are not helpful either. I too find it pretty ridiculous that I paid 80$ for pre-order, there are still quests with text errors. Dont drink the water says on repeat "(quest name here)". Come on that would take about 5 minutes to fix.

OH BUT one developer spent his time updating potions of wonder so that they stack and have 100+ effects. Not to mention a new sound when you open a chest. YEAH, everything is put in perspective now. I won't get frustrated over dying in a quest from jumping to one, because I can stack my potions of stupidity.

So what does Turbine do gives a 75% off sale.

It is how many Asian countries do business, NO SERVICE AFTER THE SALE.

I play this game, I enjoy this game, however on Cannith server which was never large is barren for LFM's lately. No one is running epic content. I am lucky to get 1 raid a night at prime time.

Companies that take care of their customers, reward loyalty, instead of trying to entice new players and new sales, last longer in this business.

If you lose your dedicated player base, or even reduce their play time because of frustrating bugs, you will lose out overall.

Quote Originally Posted by barecm View Post
    It is not ok to charge a premium for the expansion if things are not working 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by FengXian View Post
    1) No one's asking for 100% bug free content
    You know what, if Turbine had a clue, they would have recognized their poor rollout and tried to compensate.
    Quote Originally Posted by FengXian View Post
    2) Not asking for it to be good on release either
    Really? Apparently, the OP wants it 100% when it rolls out...

Quote Originally Posted by zeichen-thest View Post
    The other comments about "Love it or Leave it" are not helpful either. I too find it pretty ridiculous that I paid 80$ for pre-order, there are still quests with text errors. Dont drink the water says on repeat "(quest name here)". Come on that would take about 5 minutes to fix.
    Really? Test errors?

Want a text error that needs fixing? Try Energy Sheathe under the draconic incarnation ED... put 1 pt in, get 1d3+10 damage, put 2 pts in, get 1d3+10 damage, same with 3...

How many plat has been wasted so far trying to deduce that it is actually just a text error?

When I run a quest (example Tempest's Spine) and see "Lair of Fire and Ice" 3 times while going in, I think it is somewhat humorous... it has NO effect on my game at all! Stupid text errors belong right where they are in priority... at the bottom. Something being colored hot pink vs light red ranks higher IMO.

And no, they don't have a ton of programmers all working in unison on every detail. they have groups of people who work on individual things, so they get to what they can when they can.

For example, in my networking and programming classes, one of the details/facts we had to learn, was that there are over 17 million people programming Linux worldwide, and over 17 million programming microsoft products. The difference? Linux is open source, thus making the 17 million people all working together in unison, all knowledgeable about every detail, or at least capable of knowing every detail if they CHOOSE to do so... Open source. Microsoft is a professional company... that means they make money. It also means they divide their programmers into groups who often have NO clue what is going on in other groups other than what is absolutely necessary for them to know when programming THEIR part so as to properly implement what they produce.

Linux = Almost NO bugs/glitches/etc
    Microsoft = do I really need to say it?

There is most likely a group that handles nothing BUT graphical concerns, one for audio, one for spells, one for 1-10 quests, 1 for 11-20, 1 for 21-25, etc etc... and each of these may only have a single programmer, but probably no more than 5 programmers. And they most likely have no REAL concept of how what they produce will affect anything further removed from them than one step... IE: the 1-10 group has a clue about the 11-20, but none about 21-25 (and vice versa), audio people probably don't know how their stuff will affect clerics casting judgment when they make a change to gnoll shamans casting a fire spell... but those things CAN and often WILL be messed up by these changes.

As for stuff still in game after months or years? Yeah, only so much a small group can do, and they need to try and tackle the HUGE things first and get to smaller things later. Unfortunately, if DDO stopped producing updates for a year so they could get to a lot of this stuff, people would just leave the game... they'd get bored and move on... so, they add a new update while trying to fix old stuff, and end up with NEW stuff that needs fixing... and thus, are ALWAYS behind...

Arguing and complaining about ladder bugs, or text errors... useless, because there is no feasible way to fix them unless you want to start ponying up some real capital to fund the project (like, if every player donated 1000 bucks at one time, they could hire more programmers and fix a lot more)... but as long as the game is F2P? They are gonna have what they have...

Not a fanboi, not a rabid defender... just a realist, they can only do what they can with what they have.

Really? Apparently, the OP wants it 100% when it rolls out...
    You could give a more flexible interpretation to this topic. Perfection doesn't exist, let alone in MMO's, we do know that. We'd settle for something more reasonable, which is still way better than the current situation. At least I would.
    Cannith - Juzam, Water Savant II Ranger 6 Monk 2 AA/ Orocarn, Stalwart Defender III Monk 2 / Taigongwanng, Sorc TRing - Guardiani di Eberron

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zeichen-thest View Post

Comments like this are pretty silly. I play a lot of other PC games and not single one of them allows for bugs to exist. After new content is released, there will be major patches sometimes in the first week. I have never played one single game that had major bugs last more than 1 month after release dates.

OH BUT one developer spent his time updating potions of wonder so that they stack and have 100+ effects. Not to mention a new sound when you open a chest. YEAH, everything is put in perspective now. I won't get frustrated over dying in a quest from jumping to one, because I can stack my potions of stupidity.

So what does Turbine do gives a 75% off sale.

It is how many Asian countries do business, NO SERVICE AFTER THE SALE.

I play this game, I enjoy this game, however on Cannith server which was never large is barren for LFM's lately. No one is running epic content. I am lucky to get 1 raid a night at prime time.

Companies that take care of their customers, reward loyalty, instead of trying to entice new players and new sales, last longer in this business.

If you lose your dedicated player base, or even reduce their play time because of frustrating bugs, you will lose out overall.
    You are aware that the dev team IS a small group right. And each dev is working on something different. Feather of Sun doesn't fix the bugs, he's content dev, not QA/Bug fixing devs. So Putting your rage towards Feather is uncalled for because he didn't do anything wrong. And these changes were quick, easy, and done mostly in about 5 mins.

I say "love it or leave it" becuase people have the attitude that if it isn't perfect, it's not worth their time. Clearly having some annoying bugs (and one game breaker, I never disagreed that the mob in the wall was never anything but) is enough to hate the game, so if you don't like it. Leave.

The Devs are people too, seriously ragging on them for something because it isn't set to "the almighty players standards" isn't cool.... there have been attempts by the devs to be more transparent, but it's never enough. And then you wonder why they respond with snarky remarks towards people.

I paid $80 upfront too, best decision I ever did in regards to DDO. That and say no more TR'ing of my wiz.

Karnasis (Human Wizard, Pale Master, Level 27), Taldall (Half-Orc, Monk- Perpetually abandoned)

If any programs my company has released were to have program breaking bugs and they were not fixed within a reasonable time frame, we would be out of business.

IF it's the expectation in any other type of software industry, then why is it not the expectation in the gaming industry ?

Excuses like "thousands of lines of code" and so on.... well. AND ? .... this is what programming is, it's what they get paid to do, it's what they are supposed to be experts at I don't accept excuses like that from programmers in my department, and I don't accept it from turbine either.

I'm not saying it has to be perfect, but I am saying that things that 'break' the game should be first priority, and the customer should be notified that those things are being looked into and fixed.

I don't know how some seem to think turbine is a 'poor' game developer, we are talking millions of dollars here. . . .

Cosmetic mods and patches should be last on the list, fix the game breaking bugs. The others that don't break the game sure we can live with for a while.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by yawumpus View Post
    Ever stopped to wonder how much DDO players put into the game per month (in hard currency) and how much customer service they require? I would suspect that Turbine at best breaks even if every VIP requires one customer service call per month (internal measured costs are vastly higher than anything they pay their serfs). After the expansion scheduling debacle, turbine's support costs could be higher than development costs.
    I wouldn't be surprised. The economies of scale of the software business are tremendous. For what is essentially a fixed cost, you can provide automated services (the game) to a vast number of customers. The incremental costs, in terms of network bandwidth, computing horsepower, and storage are almost trivial when purchased in commercial quantities.

Customer support is a one on one, labor intensive activity. Even with a relatively cheap outsourced support group, it completely breaks the business model and yes, will consume that $10 a month (or less) VIP fee really fast.

The other really expensive activity is fixing bugs that get to live servers. The expense of software errors grows exponentially as they pass through the requirements, design, implementation, internal testing and finally customer environment phases.

Some "genius" decided to save a few bucks by not fixing bugs on a timely basis, and ended up ballooning the costs for the game in the 2 areas which good software engineering principles dictate that you control costs or perish. These are really basic concepts that any good commercial software company understands, but of which Turbine appears to be completely oblivious. Given all of this, its not surprising that they are struggling at this point.

Community Member

Do any of you complaining about the game not being 100% play on the test server anytime and EVERYTIME a new update is incoming, just to help test out the incoming update?

No? Ok, well then hush up.
    No, I am a customer. I pay Turbine for a product. I don't create or test Turbine's software, anymore than I test the electrical system of my power company. The power company (or any other business that I patronize) does not expect me to test their product for them. You basic premise is ridiculous.

With that said, I am a professional software engineer and if Turbine would like to engage the services of my consulting company, its possible that I may have some openings in the schedule. My hourly rate? At least 5 times what they are paying their on staff programmers, and probably closer to 10 times.

Time Warner, the owner of Turbine, has a total market value of $44 billion. I don't do pro bono work for multi billion dollar companies.

Games are incredibly complicated and extremely intricate.
    Games are somewhat complicated programs. Other types of programs are orders of magnitude more complicated.

The ability to deal with complexity is a base requirement for a software engineer. People who are unable to cope with complexity need to find another career for which they are better suited.

I agree, except we had no idea that the expansion was going to be so broekn upon release. There were a lot of incentives offered to buy in advance when people knew nothing and not much information upon actual release either if you did wait. So, yes generally the consumer should be able to research and decide, but not in this case.
    I didn't buy xpac on release because of turbines history with bugs. I was not suprised that it was a buggy mess. I am suprised that parts of it are STILL buggy...it's been months.

The incentives to buy meant that turbine sort of shot their 4th quarter in the foot...tons of people had tons of TP and nothing to spend it on.

and not to mention idk were u get premiums shouldnt be charged for the expansion i been vip for 3 years and still had to pay for mine so just stop complaining that u were vip at some point or bought a point pack and u had to pay for MOTU
    Demons run when a good man goes to war

No, I am a customer. I pay Turbine for a product. I don't create or test Turbine's software, anymore than I test the electrical system of my power company. The power company (or any other business that I patronize) does not expect me to test their product for them. You basic premise is ridiculous.
    And your rebuttal is equally ridiculous... comparing a video game that is 6 years old to a system (IE power company's electrical system) that is a multitude of generations older? How well do you think the power company's electrical system worked when it was first implemented? Face it, they have A: a much simpler system to work with (electrical vs computer programming); B: a smaller group to start with (a small town back when it first started, maybe even just a street!); C: Less intelligent people to deal with when they started (how many went to college back then?); D: Several government protections (try having kids and turning your electricity off, they'll take em from you); E: People feel they NEED electricity...

The electric companies had a ton of breaks video games don't have, and had many more years to perfect their service... Give DDO another 70 or so years and if it still around, see how smooth it runs... probably won't be able to since the life span will be less than 15 years most likely... but here's hoping right?

With that said, I am a professional software engineer and if Turbine would like to engage the services of my consulting company, its possible that I may have some openings in the schedule. My hourly rate? At least 5 times what they are paying their on staff programmers, and probably closer to 10 times.

Time Warner, the owner of Turbine, has a total market value of $44 billion. I don't do pro bono work for multi billion dollar companies.
    So your argument on this is, with the budget you have, spend more on better programmers, albeit LESS programmers, in the hopes of doing better? Ok, so we would have better quality updates, but either have less of them or less fixed in each one... that is a solution?

Games are somewhat complicated programs. Other types of programs are orders of magnitude more complicated.

The ability to deal with complexity is a base requirement for a software engineer. People who are unable to cope with complexity need to find another career for which they are better suited.
    Here you lost me utterly... I have actually worked on making video games, only small ones that were very crude, but I have dabbled some. I have a brother who is a professional programmer, and a father (retired) who was the senior at the company he worked for, as well as several friends who do programming...

Video games are some of the MOST complicated due to the mass amounts of different possible situations you have to account for... Heck, our tax software that my mom uses for being an accountant isn't even remotely close and it has to account for every possible job, every possible income from every possible source (including illegally earned moneys), there are so many possibilities, yet, my brother has already said he could easily program one that is better (and says that video games are WAY more intensive)...

So, no, if you know what you are talking about, then I am shocked that you believe that a video game like DDO is not that complicated... I'll grant you that an MMO version of Pong would be fairly simple though...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast