Default Absolute Minimum Level why is it there?

I just discovered that regardless of what it might say the Absolute Minimum Level an item is that you can only lower its actual Minimum Level requirement by 2 using 1 Masterful Craftsmanship Shard, and only 1 will have any effect. I learned this the hard way by trying to use 3 on a suit of armor I crafted, only 1 worked. So if you can only lower the ML by -2 then why tell me that my armor I just crafted is ML19 with a AML10 when all I can ever hope for is ML17. I think it is very misleading, suggesting that somehow this item can be brought down to this level and think it should be made clear that this IS NOT the ML that is actually possible. I'm sure there are good reasons for AML but the way it stands it is very confusing.

Absolute Min Level means that even if you craft effects that would normally total up to a ML less than the AML, then the items ML = the AML instead.

A good example is the epic weapons with 2[w] damage on them cant be below level 20 in ML (before master craftman is applied) regardless of what is crafted to them. This is so that you cant twink a level 2 toon with a 2[w] damage sword that has screaming and bleeding on it with a +1. Since its a 2[w] weapon, its min level goes to 20 even with effects crafted on it that would be far lower than ML 20 otherwise.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

I believe it says right on the MC shard that it doesn't stack with itself.

Community Member

Update 14 brought us a new classfication of armor types, where each subsequent type in each category would have better base stats (for example full/battle/magecraft/mountain/planeforged plate in case of full plate armors). Each of those armor types would drop in specific quest level range and have better base stats than the preceeding one. One of the reasons for introducing absolute minimum level was to prevent using base items obtained from "endgame" random drops way outside the character level range where you'd normally see them said items.

The item's ML is based on total enhancement value (the +x value in upper right corner, the exact formula would be ML = 2*x -1) and it's always equal or greater than AML.

Heh, ninja'd by Chai .

Ok all that understood and my bad for not reading the shard details, still there should be some warning or proabition like when you try to put 2 prefixes on the same item and it won't even let you do it. If they can do that then they could do the same with master craftsmanship, so that if you go to put it on something that already had it installed it could say "Shard already installed" and return the shard instead of just letting you waste them. Not to mention that in the shard crafting machine it makes no reference to this, it only states that this shard cannot lower the minimum level below the AML, its not until AFTER you craft the shard that you find out that only one will work.
    Last edited by starhawk_6699; 12-07-2012 at 02:56 PM.

AML was put in right after people realized they could loot a drow weapon, disjunct it, and make it a level 1 weapon that does 2 times the damage a typical level 1 did. ( 2X[W] )

Turbine's fix for that was to put in AML, so that could never happen again.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.