Community Member

Default Hirelings dropping soulstones

Since update 14, I have noticed that hirelings will drop my soulstone on the ground where they are currently standing if they ever have to teleport to me. Now, knowing many quests involve more than slightly complex terrain with a lot of holes and obstacles, that teleportation issue is happening a lot (well every time really) and I can't take myself to the shrine. I never found the answer to this question anywhere: was this change WAI? It is not in any patch notes and there aren't any forum posts about it (that I could find).

I like to use a bard hireling on my melee fvs when I solo, or a barbarian for extra tanking and sometimes enjoy a sorcerer when he has a decent selection of spells. I have no need for "healer" types of hirelings because they do nothing else other than heal that is really useful to me. However, I have to get them if only for the reason that if I happen to die once in a while, I cannot take myself to the shrine, and need their rez command. When I solo on my druid, my pet does the same thing.

I really hope this gets fixed soon. Any one have any real info on this issue?
    Kjersten - Animal Form/Caster Druid *5th life*
    Andrianne - Healer/Spellsinger Arcane Archer Bard *2nd life*
    Maerynn - Melee FvS *2nd life*

I noticed this as well two days ago. I was practically on top of the shrine anyway, though, and did not think to bug report it. I assume it is a bug though, have you reported it?

Community Member

Default noticed it as well

I remember getting this issue in the pit, it was quite uneasy to get my stone close enough to the shrine !

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

It's not just the hirelings either. Squirtle, my usually very well behaved artificer's dog, suddenly goes into full on rebellion mode when my soul stone is involved. I chalk it up to his grieving process having lost his beloved maker so suddenly...
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

This is a big problem since hirelings can't swim! If you die in the water, there's no way they can get your stone back to a shrine.

Community Member

I pointed out this problem three months ago... http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=391309

Community Member

Well apparently you did oradafu, but I see nowhere in that thread an answer to my question, which is what's the deal with it... WAI or not? If so, why, and if not, will it be fixed? For soloers like me it's a huge problem currently and I am simply looking for information, since there may very well be a thread buried under an obscure title that somebody has read somewhere with the info I'm looking for. I also waited 2 updates and several patches before asking about it, because I thought something like this would be fixed a lot faster than this. Finally, I'm hoping maybe with the very clear title of the thread, it will end up in the right hands eventually and I tried to provide some reasons why it may be problematic (ex. no one will use hirelings that have no rez command for this very reason, even in situations when they are clearly the most useless hireling to that specific player).
    Last edited by kjersten; 12-07-2012 at 11:10 PM.
    Kjersten - Animal Form/Caster Druid *5th life*
    Andrianne - Healer/Spellsinger Arcane Archer Bard *2nd life*
    Maerynn - Melee FvS *2nd life*

I think they made it happen like that due to some nefarious uses people were getting out of hirelings and arti dogs.