Default 18 cleric/2 paladin

i've ran a few human clerics up to level 20, and i'm trying to improve the caster/healbot for epic elites. my current cleric has 30 charisma which (with two levels of paladin) is +11 to saves...+10 from charisma and +1 from paladin aura. that will make a difference in epic elite. the -2 spell penetration shouldn't make that big of a difference in epic hard, and in epic elite i wouldn't be imploding very much without a bunch of favoured soul/wizard past lives. 18 levels of cleric gets you 3 slots for mass heal, implosion and energy drain. the saves are a big boost and only negative is capstone (which i've never used) and a couple of spell points and level 9 slots. another (unintended) bonus is that PUGs will think you're a battle cleric and immediately hate you i think the extra feat (from human) and the extra saves are worth any bonus that a half-elf with paladin dilletante would get you. thoughts? madness? genius? i've slightly future-proofed it with 18 levels of cleric incase they ever do a third level of prestige class, and also if i do want to do some sort of (limited) melee, i can actually use swords like celestia without penalty

i put in the improved mental toughness for levelling with a split, but most likely am able to drop it once i hit 20.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.14.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Lawful Good Human Male
    (2 Paladin \ 18 Cleric) 
    Hit Points: 326
    Spell Points: 1710 (2100 with archmagi, greensteel, wis+6...will be high with destinies)
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 26
    Reflex: 12
    Will: 29

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (36 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             10                    12
    Dexterity            10                    12
    Constitution         16                    19
    Intelligence          8                    10
    Wisdom               18                    31
    Charisma             14                    18

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 6
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 10
    +4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 14

Level 1 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Empower Healing Spell
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Cleric
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Cleric
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 2 (Paladin)

Level 3 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness

Level 4 (Cleric)
    Ability Raise: WIS

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Mental Toughness

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Paladin)

Level 15 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration

Level 16 (Cleric)

Level 17 (Cleric)

Level 18 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 19 (Cleric)

Level 20 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Paladin Saves Boost I
    Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant I
    Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant II
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Human Greater Adaptability Constitution I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Paladin Focus of Good I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness III
    Enhancement: Improved Heal I
    Enhancement: Improved Heal II
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Smiting I
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Smiting I
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
    Enhancement: Cleric Smiting I
    Enhancement: Cleric Smiting II
    Enhancement: Cleric Smiting III
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV
    Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration I
    Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
    Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
    Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot III
    Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot IV
    Enhancement: Cleric Charisma I
    Enhancement: Cleric Charisma II
    Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II
    Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III
    Enhancement: Paladin Toughness I
    Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
    Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I
    Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I
    Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery II
    the tomes look like they're a level early because i wanted the stat bonuses to be applied at level (b/c of TR) instead of during

i have TRed my favoured soul into this and am having fun. i am at level 11 so far...will give more feedback once i get to 20. the build is for 20+ not 1-19...once he's epic he can use stuff like forgotton light where you can use wisdom for to hit and damage, so should pack a little more melee punch than my current guy does.

http://my.ddo.com/character/ghallanda/workinman/

Community Member

I'm looking at a build just like that one myself for ee's

Just wondering how is your turn undead and smiting going on it

Better or worse

Quote Originally Posted by mr420247 View Post
    I'm looking at a build just like that one myself for ee's

Just wondering how is your turn undead and smiting going on it

Better or worse
    turn undead works fine (am 17 cleric/1 paladin so far). because of this can't really comment on smiting (yet)...to hit bonus from smiting is based on charisma, but damage bonus is based on paladin level. +1 of damage and minimal strength (can't use my wisdom to hit/damage items until level 23) doesn't make a great smite. i will write a better commentary once i hit 20 and get the second level of paladin in.

Just curious why you chose MEntal Toughness and IMT over say greater spell pen and say extend or highten?

An extra 200 odd SP is nice but 2 feats worth?
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Quote Originally Posted by t0r012 View Post
    Just curious why you chose MEntal Toughness and IMT over say greater spell pen and say extend or highten?

let me preface this by saying that if the cleric runs out of SP it is no one's fault but his own. i personally feel that using a major mne pot means something horribly went wrong...and i like to cast offensive spells.

with a 2 non-cleric splash you are going to be a little short on spell points. the mental toughness compensates for this...the improved mental toughness gives me the option to take (hold your breath) epic mental toughness if, after running some epic elites with this guy, i still don't have enough. ymmv extend isn't worth it at high levels, and i don't have enough sp to be running heighten, and what would i use it on? destruction? slay living? banishment? i'm putting all my instakill eggs in one basket with spell focus : evocation and implosion. there's obviously lots of wiggle room and i reserve the right to change my mind greater spell penetration would be my first replacement if i don't need improved mental toughness

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by painkiller3 View Post
    let me preface this by saying that if the cleric runs out of SP it is no one's fault but his own. i personally feel that using a major mne pot means something horribly went wrong...and i like to cast offensive spells.

with a 2 non-cleric splash you are going to be a little short on spell points. the mental toughness compensates for this...the improved mental toughness gives me the option to take (hold your breath) epic mental toughness if, after running some epic elites with this guy, i still don't have enough. ymmv extend isn't worth it at high levels, and i don't have enough sp to be running heighten, and what would i use it on? destruction? slay living? banishment? i'm putting all my instakill eggs in one basket with spell focus : evocation and implosion. there's obviously lots of wiggle room and i reserve the right to change my mind greater spell penetration would be my first replacement if i don't need improved mental toughness

Craig
    I can dig it.
    Go of the trial and error thing see which is a better investment for you. IMT or GSF.
    When in doubt more blue bar is a safe choice. More heals and more BB cant be a bad thing.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

I hit 20 tonight...my saves lightly equipped (+6 dex, +5 res, +7 cha, +2 exc cha, +3 tome on CHA, +2 on dex,no twists, GH, haste or anything) should be able to hit 40 reflex pretty easily.

Refutor
    Last edited by painkiller3; 02-10-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: up

Community Member

sounds really nice, but i personally think the 2 monk splash is better if a cleric will splash, evasion and 2 feats is really nice, and you can hit really high saves as clonk if you build it right.
    Orien server: Forking, Completionist, life 21 of ???

Quote Originally Posted by fork_aka_spoon View Post
    sounds really nice, but i personally think the 2 monk splash is better if a cleric will splash, evasion and 2 feats is really nice, and you can hit really high saves as clonk if you build it right.
    i know but i wanted a cleric that played like a cleric...heavy armor (no battle pajamas), shield, mace (forgotten light) etc. we'll see how it goes but it feels pretty good so far

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by t0r012 View Post

I second this...with so much CHA and cleric PLs you should have tons of turns. Shouldn't have to touch your SP much. Unless your gonna be healing EE raids all the time with this guy don't think it's near worth it.

Click the banner above to get to my DDO youtube channel

here's my saves at level 24 with a GH...obviously need to increase dex, con and wis by one...working on it not quite rolling through traps, but i have yet to be hit with a bear trap this life

edit : good thing i looked at this, with all my switching around of items, etc etc etc i seem to be missing a +6 (or higher) con item...thought my hp felt a little low
    Last edited by painkiller3; 03-17-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by painkiller3 View Post
    once he's epic he can use stuff like forgotton light where you can use wisdom for to hit and damage, so should pack a little more melee punch than my current guy does.
    The scepter of healing from Invaders! token turn-in is ML10 and uses wisdom for to-hit and damage. It's the natural weapon for leveling if you plan to use forgotten light. A little late now, but if you TR for another turn undead be sure to farm one up before you eat the heart.

Devotion +66, +15 implement, greater healing lore, red slot (to grow the devotion as you level), wisdom attack/damage, slightly increased base damage, and even flametouched iron for breaking dr/good, it's full of win.

Pair it with Dalorent's Seal from necro3 scarab turn-ins (which can be bought from ah) for a sweet sweet 1-2 punch with the scepter:

ML10
    Radiance +60
    Lesser Turning (woot! 2 free turns)
    Sacred
    Purple Slot (for impulse)

And if you match those two with elfcraft/blue dragonscale, you'll have the same gear hirelings do. heh.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    can't remember if it was +hit/damage for wisdom before update 17, but the slot is a big upgrade on that item. if i ever make a character with higher wisdom than strength again i'm using that. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    The scepter of healing from Invaders! token turn-in is ML10 and uses wisdom for to-hit and damage. It's the natural weapon for leveling if you plan to use forgotten light. A little late now, but if you TR for another turn undead be sure to farm one up before you eat the heart.

Devotion +66, +15 implement, greater healing lore, red slot (to grow the devotion as you level), wisdom attack/damage, slightly increased base damage, and even flametouched iron for breaking dr/good, it's full of win.

Pair it with Dalorent's Seal from necro3 scarab turn-ins (which can be bought from ah) for a sweet sweet 1-2 punch with the scepter:

ML10
    Radiance +60
    Lesser Turning (woot! 2 free turns)
    Sacred
    Purple Slot (for impulse)

And if you match those two with elfcraft/blue dragonscale, you'll have the same gear hirelings do. heh.
    Is the wisdom bonus post U17? I have an old one and it doesn't indicate using any stat other than strength for to hit and damage....

Quote Originally Posted by eachna_gislin View Post
    Is the wisdom bonus post U17? I have an old one and it doesn't indicate using any stat other than strength for to hit and damage....
    Looks like it got added to the wiki list of unusual attack/damage mods on Feb 21st, so looks like it was indeed changed in U17.