Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1
    Founder Hamlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    319

    Default My Alignment should be evil

    So I was running my TR through Korthos, and I got up to Sacrifices on elite. I thought about doing the optional objective, "Rescue all the villagers". I decided to skip it.

    I probably put more thought into this than I should have, but hear me out. You have all these kidnapped villagers sitting around in cells, all bummed about their pending future of slavery or death. Here I come, killing all the guards and blowing right by their cells. I could take 1.5 seconds to let them out, but I don't. But they don't have it nearly as bad as the villagers at the end of the quest. They get to watch me grab the only villager I came here for and leave. The rest are left to their fates. Why?

    Arissa: 2000+ XP on elite, quest completion and favor

    All other villagers combined: 62 XP


    One human being was worth more to me than an entire village!

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,673

    Default

    Don't forget going into friendly people's homes and smashing all their belongings for the bonus XP! Definitely a good act. Definitely.

  3. #3
    Community Member brian14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamlin View Post
    Arissa: 2000+ XP on elite, quest completion and favor

    All other villagers combined: 62 XP

    One human being was worth more to me than an entire village!
    Entirely normal midieval mindset
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

    "Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    Don't forget going into friendly people's homes and smashing all their belongings for the bonus XP! Definitely a good act. Definitely.
    Those people will need to buy new things, so you're helping stimulant the economy. Definitely a good act.

  5. #5
    Community Member Zuka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Let's not forget running with the devils which makes my lawful good monks/clerics/favored souls, and far more so my Paladin die a little bit inside every time I have to run this quest, but would make my evil aligned characters giddy with excitement. I still say that we need evil alignments, it would add a completely fresh element to the game, especially for divines who would auto prep inflict spells, on a side note, imagine an evil cleric with a negative energy aura and burst instead of positive. I think it would be awesome.
    "Failure is not only an option, but a valuable learning experience." - Personal motto.

  6. #6
    Community Member Handpicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuka View Post
    Let's not forget running with the devils which makes my lawful good monks/clerics/favored souls, and far more so my Paladin die a little bit inside every time I have to run this quest, but would make my evil aligned characters giddy with excitement. I still say that we need evil alignments, it would add a completely fresh element to the game, especially for divines who would auto prep inflict spells, on a side note, imagine an evil cleric with a negative energy aura and burst instead of positive. I think it would be awesome.
    Then they could introduce Goldsteel armor with Taint of Good.

    Evil is playable in most campaigns, as is unlawful, its just harsh extremes that clash such as Chaotic Evil. Technically Robin Hood is Unlawful Good.

    Originally AD&D had outer alignments like capstones that could be attained such as Diabolic, Saintly, Beafic and Demonic, but you had to play your character all the way in one direction. So there is a rich history to draw from... I recall an announcement early on though that evil would be forever restricted from player races. This is changes such as making the Thief class into the Rogue class and the removal of Pickpocket, etc indicates that an evil or unlawful alignment is definately out of the question at current.

  7. #7
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuka View Post
    Let's not forget running with the devils which makes my lawful good monks/clerics/favored souls, and far more so my Paladin die a little bit inside every time I have to run this quest, but would make my evil aligned characters giddy with excitement. I still say that we need evil alignments, it would add a completely fresh element to the game, especially for divines who would auto prep inflict spells, on a side note, imagine an evil cleric with a negative energy aura and burst instead of positive. I think it would be awesome.
    If it makes you feel any better, they are outsiders so killing them doesnt actually kill them, they are just banished back to their home plane.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, they are outsiders so killing them doesnt actually kill them, they are just banished back to their home plane.
    Too bad the same doesn't apply to the poor folks you kill in Purge the Heretics. There's a quest I skip every character, every life.

  9. #9
    Community Member Zuka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, they are outsiders so killing them doesnt actually kill them, they are just banished back to their home plane.
    Thank you, that does help, I hadn't really thought of it that way, I'll try to use this logic to console my poor Paladin, it's been almost a year and he's still kept awake at night crying about this atrocity forced upon him and get's distracted when doing important things like tanking Horoth. Hopefully this will bring him some sort of solace and he can do what he is hired for and get some rest at night. Again, thank you very much, I hope this perspective is one that Zach can understand and use to help him come to grips with what he was forced by cruel and wicked developers to do.
    "Failure is not only an option, but a valuable learning experience." - Personal motto.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In a box.
    Posts
    2,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Handpicked View Post
    Technically Robin Hood is Unlawful Good.
    By whose law? King John's "lawfulness" is questionable in most of the tales, and the Sheriff is usually written as an extortionist. You could argue that Robin Hood and his band were following their code in their woods rather than the official code which was circumvented or abused by the people in its charge. The easy answer is to brand Robin 'chaotic good' and John and the Sheriff 'lawful evil', but it really depends on how you define the law.

    Sticky, right

  11. #11
    Community Member MartinusWyllt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamlin View Post
    ... But they don't have it nearly as bad as the villagers at the end of the quest. They get to watch me grab the only villager I came here for and leave. The rest are left to their fates. Why?...
    If they were connected to House P then maybe they would have had rated a contract rescue. (Reminds me of DocWagon)

    I'd like to see them get up off their butts as soon as you open their cage rather than waiting to be individually told that, yes, they can leave now.

    Before we bothered with evil alignments I'd think we'd have varied story threads...at least in NPC dialogue even if the quests are the same...that could even have consequences if you don't "play your alignment". The only actually alignment-dependent conversation in DDO is in PoP, right? We're "faking it" in Litany.

    (If we're threading dialogue I'd be well content to see different reactions by class/race.)

  12. #12
    Community Member Curate2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oradafu View Post
    Those people will need to buy new things, so you're helping stimulant the economy. Definitely a good act.
    This is the Broken Window Fallacy:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable..._broken_window

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GotSomeQuestions View Post
    Too bad the same doesn't apply to the poor folks you kill in Purge the Heretics. There's a quest I skip every character, every life.
    I don't even bother killing them usually. The ridiculously deadly traps they leave around to murder any passing person with would make the designers of Auschwitz envious and will slaughter them wholesale.

  14. #14
    Community Member Nickademus42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Khyber
    Posts
    333

    Default

    I believe a Palemaster in form gains an evil alignment. At least, he/she can freely use items that require an evil alignment. Food for thought.

  15. #15
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    I don't even bother killing them usually. The ridiculously deadly traps they leave around to murder any passing person with would make the designers of Auschwitz envious and will slaughter them wholesale.
    Ya know what's probably going on there.

    A rakshasa disguises himself as a sovereign host follower and warns them about a silver flame plot to wipe them out and talks them into hiring a band of mercinaries to defend the temple. The mercinaries set up traps to defend the temple.

    The rakshasa then disguises himself as a priest of the silver flame and waits in a bar for adventurers, but not just any adventurer will do. They have to be a silver flame follower for his plan to work, so he asks and you(we) say yes...

  16. #16
    Community Member Bacab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    3,093

    Default

    To the "Purge the Heretics" and "Running with the Devils" complainers...or as I call you...Elf Sympathizers...

    If I wasn't supposed to kill Elves...why do they start with 2 less CON than everyone else...heck 4 less than some races? It is like Gygax and Arneson wanted us to kill them.

    Remember...to keep elves "special" you have to "thin out their numbers".

    Also if we don't thin out their numbers...they will over-populate and starve...You have to kill them or they will die.

    Yes, I am racist against elves...my PNP DM/buddy (sometimes I am the DM in the group) is an "elf" guy. I am a Dwarf guy.

    BTW it is actually impossible to like Dwarves AND Elves.
    *FACT*
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

  17. #17
    Community Member darthhento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    854

    Default

    I dropped someone's soulstone into lava yesterday. Does that make me evil aligned?
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In a box.
    Posts
    2,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darthhento View Post
    I dropped someone's soulstone into lava yesterday. Does that make me evil aligned?
    Depends on whose soulstone. Might depend on which lava as well.

  19. #19
    Community Member darthhento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    Depends on whose soulstone. Might depend on which lava as well.
    A piker's soulstone in A Relic of a Sovereign Past. Lava pit in the middle, ~12 seconds away from the shrine.
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==$==ORIEN==$==$==$==$==$==$==$=
    Darthwolf **(?_?) Zendarth m(?_?m) Darthnoheals \(?_?)
    =$==$==$==$==$==$==House Do'Urden==$==$==$==$==$==$=

  20. #20
    Community Member Jaid314's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zuka View Post
    Thank you, that does help, I hadn't really thought of it that way, I'll try to use this logic to console my poor Paladin, it's been almost a year and he's still kept awake at night crying about this atrocity forced upon him and get's distracted when doing important things like tanking Horoth. Hopefully this will bring him some sort of solace and he can do what he is hired for and get some rest at night. Again, thank you very much, I hope this perspective is one that Zach can understand and use to help him come to grips with what he was forced by cruel and wicked developers to do.
    ummm... not 100% certain here, but...

    i think lammania may actually be the home plane of those eladrin. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, if that's the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload