Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old alpha info

Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Default Old alpha info

DDO is coming to the Mac! While the client is not going to be ready for Update 16 Patch 1, we wanted to make an alpha version available to DDO players to try here on Lamannia this month so we have plenty of time to react to feedback and potential bug reports.

To get started with the DDO Mac client, download the installer at this link: http://download.ddo.akamai.turbine.c...NDLauncher.dmg

Instructions to Install:

1. COPY the installer URL. (We recommend that players not attempt to hand-type the above URL)
    2. Download the file (this is a full client download for this initial preview, and may take longer than your typical DDO game client downloads on PC do)
    3. Upon download, open the .dmg file
    4. Drag the DNDLauncher .app to a place you see fit (Applications folder is the standard place)
    5. Run the launcher, patch up, and begin to play DDO on your Mac!
    6. Let us know how DDO runs on your Mac

Please note that this is an alpha version of the DDO Mac client, so if you experience any anomalies, please be sure to tell us about it so our engineers can investigate if necessary!
    • Bug reports submitted in game should be sent under the “Lamannia” category, and include the word “Mac” in your summary of the issue (that’s the text box entitled “Please provide a brief summary of the bug:*”).
    • You can also post feedback here in the Mac forum.

Thanks for trying out the DDO Mac client!

...If this works, you know this means my windows partition is destined to be moth-balled.

I can only imagine the extent of work that went into this, I'll certainly be checking this out... and telling a lot of Mac friends.

This is the most excited I've been about DDO since the unveiling of "Vast and Mysterious"
    Exelin etc, exception Estelix of Elite Raiders, Khyber
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    I often word things in ways that cause the most speculation and panic, because I'm capricious and mean.

Spectacular achievement! I know the port could not have been easy.

Now for the obvious - Is the a Linux port in the works? I know the Mach and Linux kernels diverged some time ago, but still... one can dream.

Once again, congratulations on all the time and effort. I have a few friends who simply insist on running "those" machines who will be pleased.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

will certainly be checking this out tonight.
    Epic Destiny Planner - http://ddodestiny.info
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

Community Member

Woot.

I've been fiddling with Codeweaver and WINE, but I'd much prefer having something official that doesn't break every other patch.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

Is this a Cider port?
    The maximum directX level appears to be DX9, unless those options are disabled because this is an openGL renderer.
    The main menu appears to work. Can't say anything beyond this yet as I've yet to log in a character.
    Scoobmx Scoobshot Arcscoob Beefscoob : Imperial Assassins : Argonnessen
    My Builds : Abbot Raid Manual : Weapon Damage Modeler : My Trades

this makes me happy

Community Member

Just tried it on a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8:
    Symbol not found: _kCFWebServicesProviderDefaultDisplayNameKey
    So a quick google for this shows it needs at least Mac OS 10.7 or higher to run.

In Xcode click on the project at the very top of the list. Make sure you are in the standard editor view. Click the Project target, move to the info tab and change the deployment target to Mac OS 10.7 or higher so that Mac OS will indicate that a more recent OS is required instead of just crashing.

Or even better, work around the need for that symbol, and support Mac OS 10.6. :-)

I am off to test it on a Retina MacBook Pro running 10.8.

Edit:
    Mac OS 10.8: the app won't launch and I see this in the console:
    Someone attempted to start application App:"DNDLauncher" [ 0x0/0x3f03f] @ 0x0x7ffcd1e261c0 but it still has _kLSApplicationLockedInStoppedStateKey=true, so it is is staying stopped.
    I suspect this has to do with the Gatekeeper functionality enabled in 10.8. I can't remember off the top of my head how to disable the download bit, which might help, so I am going to jump on 10.7 and see how that works.

Edit:
    -ah yes the Finder is telling me that the app is from an unknown source -that is Gatekeeper kicking in. You need to digitally sign the installer after you finish building it if you want it to install and run without hassle on Mac OS 10.8. It's a bit tricky to set up since it involves getting a certificate from Apple through your developer account, but once it's set up its a breeze to re-sign after that.

Edit:
    Mac OS 10.7: thank you thank you thank you. Its amazing. I am in Kundarak running around on my year old favored soul. The machine is a couple years newer than my current game machine so its blowing the 'Windows' box out of the water. It looks fantastic. I even watched the intro movie all the way through. I have seen a few things wrong so far: the password dialog has an odd white border on the bottom left. The password dialog is using Carbon calls for text rendering -that doesn't look so hot on a retina display. After the underdark elves splash screen, I got a white grid instead of the loading picture. Also the display resolution seems to be fixed, I can't change it, but it looks really nice on my screen anyway in whatever default resolution you chose.

Really nice work!

Edit:
    Some more bits and pieces:
    The chat channels won't accept keyboard input.
    Voice doesn't seem to work.
    The damage numbers floating off mobs being hit are crisp and bright, but totally wrong :-) My blade barrier definitely used to hit for more than 3.
    I got the Eveningstar festival effect put on me and when I talked to Elminster in Eveningstar, the ground directly in from of him was unstable and the tree behind had a fairly unusual ghosting effect -the ghost image was way too far in front of the tree.

Edit:
    The Mac 10.8 situation is a bit more complicated. I disabled security in the System Preferences security panel and the DNDLauncher icon just bounced in the dock. So I used the Terminal to launch it manually from the Contents/MacOS/DNDLauncher file and it worked. But I think what happened really is that the "Are you sure you want to run this app?" dialog appeared behind some other Finder window and I just didn't see it. I ended up with two copies running cause of the odd way I tackled it. While I was in there, I see you did actually try to sign the app. I am not sure why it appears to be insecure, other than possibly because I copied the application over a network. But from my own experience I have never found that to be a problem.

Edit:
    Last edit -I relaunched the client and now the chat channels are working. No voice yet, but a big improvement. It's entirely possible I need to be in a party to use voice, but Lam is a bit lonely at the moment.
    Last edited by Katie_Seaglen; 12-04-2012 at 09:12 AM.

This is awesome news as I plan on my next computer being an apple to avoid the ugly mess of win8 even though the apple will cost me more.

moved east beside the oak tree, burrow'd under the cedar beside the lake..

O M G ..

I sooooooooo hoped for this,
    thank you for working on it, I want to get away from Win. systems altogether soon.
    I have to tell my bros., they too are so sick of Win. and want to switch to a Mac.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehoo !!
    Mystic Mountain DragonRiders
    pushing cart along marketplace shouting; " Fling out yer dead.. "

Is windows going to break on the 21st?
    Is that why you're switching to mac?

How about a linux client?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

The Crafting Mogul
    Hero and Host of DDO Chat

Made my day! I cannot wait for a live client!!
    The Crafting Mogul of Orien!, Yuupppp!! .:. Join The Craze - http://www.ddochat.com
    Proud to be part of what is, sad at the closure of what was, and grateful to have called it home...
    Proudly Canadian, and just providing my $0.02 cents. ($0.025 USD )

downloaded the .dmg, mounted and copied the app to applications. Wasn't able to open from the gui, so I tried terminal. Got a little further, and got the unsigned app message. Changed my security settings to allow unsigned, and loaded up again, and still didn't get anywhere. Restarted my computer, and was finally able to get in. Very exciting, though difficult to go from a 1920x1200 to a 1280x800...That's my issue, though, heh.
    Last edited by oberon131313; 12-04-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    Epic Destiny Planner - http://ddodestiny.info
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

Community Member

ok, once mac is sorted can we get an iOS version so i can play at work on my iphone 5/ipad...

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    DDO is coming to the Mac!
    Is this a proper client, or a wine wrapper a-la EVE for Mac? If it's a proper client, I imagine it runs through OGL, and if so, can we expect a client compiled for Linux? I don't mind if it's "unsupported" and all that, I'd just like to see a native binary.

Default fanboi reporting for duty

Quote Originally Posted by Truga View Post
    can we expect a client compiled for Linux?
    yupyupyup.
    1. DDO goes on Steam.
    2. Steam goes on Linux.
    3. DDO goes on Linux.
    4. Much rejoycing.
    ITONLYMAKESSENSE!

Default DMG background overly graphic

The icon for the app was very hard to pick out against the background. Once I found it and selected it, it stood out well. Minor visual confusion.

Hurra!

Just downloading it to try!

Thx Turbine

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast