Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Cosmetic Amor Kit Sales Suggestion

COSMETIC ARMOR KITS:
    I think they look awesome. Alot of people do. I know i want to buy one. Alot of people do. But there is an issue: when leveling and grabbing new gear, its not logically to drop some TP on a kit that u wont be able to use again in 3 hrs after you get that dream armor you've been shootin for. When i first joined DDO, the amount of logic involved in character stats, feats, and enhancements was a little overwhelming for someone who was use to playing WoW for years. I feel like I'm really getting the hang of how it all works though.

What I'm trying to say is that this game requires alot of logic and planning with your character every step of the way (which is what makes it fun and unique compared to the half dozen other boring MMOs out there) and that i seriously doubt that you would have a whole lot of trouble selling quite a few more cosmetic armor kits than you do right now if you maybe tweaked the way they worked slightly. I'm not sayin make them permanent. But the system thats currently in place for them makes no sense from a customer or a sales rep perspective.

My idea is: keep the kits the same price, but make them 5 uses instead of just 1. You can utilize the use increase by raising the price of the armor kit remover (which would no longer destroy the cosmetic kit) from 10 TP to maybe 30-75 TP. This would make them alot more appealing to players still in the process of leveling their character (who make up the majority of regularly active characters online), without hurting the DDO market.

Another idea: make a few cosmetic amor kits made specifically for max level characters who are maybe just getting a little bored with they're armor's appearence. Make these kits look incredibly complex and flashy, and overall way more aesthetically pleasing than the other kits (Stuff like the ezio look from AC II or the Gabriel Belmont look from CV LoS). Add a feat/stat/ac/dr bonus to the endgame cosmetic kits and put them on the market for sumthin like 650-1050 TP with 1 use.

These are just some thoughts I'm tossing out there out of boredom.

While armor kits aren't at the forefront of my mind, I don't really see anything wrong with this idea.
    ~ *Nikibrik* - The Prime Healer (All EDs Capped) | Brogburt - The Warlord (All EDs Capped) | Kallistie - The Arch Necromancer | Capricio - The Lore-keeper | Thorbim - The Outlaw ~
    Thelanis ~ <The True Path>

Lancashire UK - Keeper Refugee, Played since beta

Kits should be like the pet stable, buy it, apply it whenever you want, change whenever you want, swap back whenever you want, on all characters.

I'd bet you sold a lot more if this was the case.
    Dex - Leader - THΣ ЏΠΣΔЯТΗΣÐ ΔЯСΔΠΔ
    I don't do serious, it no fun

Armor kits should have worked more like the prototype, by bunny hats, or one of the more recent examples, the spider mask from the expansion.

I should be able to click on the item and it skins whatever I'm wearing but the "clickie" skin remains in inventory. It should be that simple.

Now if people don't want to reskin every time they log in, I have no problem with them choosing a "permanent binding ritual" that turns the items into a bound one, just like we have now.

Brand / Commerce Team QuartermasterX's Avatar

While I cannot give specific details or dates, we are planning on making improvements to cosmetic armor system. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    I should be able to click on the item and it skins whatever I'm wearing but the "clickie" skin remains in inventory. It should be that simple.
    Exactly!

/Signed
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by QuartermasterX View Post
    While I cannot give specific details or dates, we are planning on making improvements to cosmetic armor system. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    Cool, cool.
    Almost bought a kit this weekend, but couldn't pull the trigger putting it on an armor that may not be that character's final acquisition.

Any thoughts on the viability of grandfathering any improvements onto already owned armors-with-kits? (That'd probably be tricky, but had to toss it out there.)
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

The preview capability is really really difficult to use. Especially on a laptop. You have to close the store to see what the armor looks like, then you have to reopen it and navigate back to the page you were on to see the next one. It takes 20 to 30 seconds to look at and evaluate each kit. I dread it whenever I get to my final armor.

If we can't get side by side previews, then you need to get that iteration time from one armor to the next way down from where it is. The process of selecting a kit is just too tedious right now.

Good to hear.
    Conn Niall Paladin 20 TRx2
    Cormac Mac Airt Ranger/Rogue 12/1
    Connyl Niall Paladin 1 Connlyssa Paladin/Fighter 18/2

Nice. Looking forward to it.
    ~ *Nikibrik* - The Prime Healer (All EDs Capped) | Brogburt - The Warlord (All EDs Capped) | Kallistie - The Arch Necromancer | Capricio - The Lore-keeper | Thorbim - The Outlaw ~
    Thelanis ~ <The True Path>

If they made an armor kit to match each of the cosmetic hats that would be AWESOME! I want to run around slaying the forces of evil in a top hat and tux, perhaps while smoking a cigar and conversing with my fellow adventurers about the state our financial ventures in the auction house while we strike down some filthy drow in the underdark then use them as a door mat to wipe our polished dress shoes on. It would be EPIC!

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Dexol View Post
    Kits should be like the pet stable, buy it, apply it whenever you want, change whenever you want, swap back whenever you want, on all characters.

Armor kits should function just like a pet stable. In Theory we should get a "closet" to keep our armor kits in so it really dosent matter what we are actually wearing. We know our kit isnt wasted on a single peice of armor that will eventaully be outmoded.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thunir View Post
    Armor kits should function just like a pet stable. In Theory we should get a "closet" to keep our armor kits in so it really dosent matter what we are actually wearing. We know our kit isnt wasted on a single peice of armor that will eventaully be outmoded.
    Good idea !

Lancashire UK - Keeper Refugee, Played since beta

Quote Originally Posted by Dexol View Post

The cosmetic wardrobe should also have a tab for cosmetic hats
    Dex - Leader - THΣ ЏΠΣΔЯТΗΣÐ ΔЯСΔΠΔ
    I don't do serious, it no fun

Well, looking forward to that and hope that at least they will be possible to apply to and take off any armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    The preview capability is really really difficult to use. Especially on a laptop. You have to close the store to see what the armor looks like, then you have to reopen it and navigate back to the page you were on to see the next one. ...
    /Second that. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatfox View Post
    If they made an armor kit to match each of the cosmetic hats that would be AWESOME! I want to run around slaying the forces of evil in a top hat and tux,...

There are some leather skins that come close to that. Also, a named leather has a similar skin, tho can't remember it atm.

Afterthought @ the cosmetic armors to match headgear -- bunny suits for the the bunny caps?? Hehheh.
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 12-04-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Awesome! I look forward to it. As someone who likes my character to look cool, and have bought a few kits my biggest issues are that:
    1) The kits are only good on one piece of armor. So I always waited to buy a kit until I had the armor I really wanted and knew I was going to use it for a while.
    2) If you have that one good piece of armor and you put on a kit on it...Then later on you find another kit you really like, the 2nd kit would overwrite the first kit if you were to use it. So once you buy a kit, you're not going to buy a second.

Buying armor kits should be like buying clothes in RL. Once you buy it, it should go in a closet or some such that you can reuse whenever you want.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

Community Member

This statement is so much like a Lingerie store with no windows...

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Good to hear.

The current cosmetic system is complete cr**.

I purchased multiple skins on a few of my toons when they first came out only to discouver that when I upgraded my armour the skin was wiped. 400TP gone just like that. ..A year later and still no response to my bug report..
    and that is when I decided that would be the last time DDO gets money from me for skins.

Currently armour skins are permanently tied to a specific piece of armor not the player, so mostly worthless waste of money for levelling, only usefull for endgame gear and look and invalidates any reason to purchase multiple skins.

Hopefully this is part of the cosmetic gear revamp.

Lotro has a superior customization system.. would be nice to see DDO replicate some of this.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Personally, I have seen some armors that I LOVE the design of, just not the color scheme. I would LOVE to see a kit that allows us to just dye the armor we have another color. Simple idea, but I know that I would use it, as would quite a few of my friends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast