Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default The Problems with the Midwinter Festival

Well, let me first say, that I really love the race. It's fun, fast, and a welcome change from the ice jumps back in Eberron. Plus it makes use of the existing area in a sensible way.

The rewards seem pretty neat as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see people start hoarding up Lolth Cookies for all those profane bonuses. The little polar bear cubs look really adorable as well. The item upgrades for Glaciation and Elemental Resists are neat too, though not something I'll likely use.

Now for the problems.

The first problem is directly related to the race itself. One of the buffs on the track gives a huge jump bonus. This can be useful to get some of the more out of reach snowflakes. Unfortunately it also has the side effect of giving the player Feather Fall. High Jump + Speed + Feather Fall = overshooting any other flakes on the ground. It's rather a poor race if I have to actually stop moving forward to ensure I hit the next snowflake on my way back down. Featherfall also causes some problems when going down some of the steeper ice slides, since the player will bounce a little and lose momentum as feather fall kicks in.

The second problem has to do with the mote rewards. For my initial 3 runs, I got between 120-180 motes. This is per day, and per account. Now, it's likely that I'll probably be able to keep up a mote rate of 180, but for simplicities sake, let's say I get 150 motes per day. Assuming I don't spend any of those motes on any other reward, or buy rental skates, I'm looking at a minimum of 23 days to be able to afford the Polar Bear Cub. That's over three weeks, making sure to log in every day to get the free tokens.

This is coupled with the other problem of the event. The preferred player and the VIP player can only do this race 4 times per day. It's a very short race really. Only lasting a couple minutes at best. Even a VIP will be done with their daily races in 10 minutes. Comparatively, any player could spend hours doing the Ice Jumps in the harbor if they wanted.

I can only assume this is to encourage players to purchase tokens from the Store, but I'm not really happy about that. The store is supposed to be a convenience, not as the sole route to actually get an item from a festival. I believe a couple things need to happen to make this a little more fun and less grindy.

1. Give players a few extra tokens per day, or make tokens per character instead of per account.
    2. Give more motes per race.
    3. Lower the cost on all the items to barter.

Either that, or make sure the Risia Ice Games are switched on at the same time, so at least players have another avenue to grind out Winter Motes during the holidays.
    Last edited by Coldin; 11-30-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

Default A few more questions

I am in agreement with this post. I have a couple of more questions to add to it, however, stating a couple of concerns:

1. Will only those of higher level be able to participate? I know it's in Eveningstar, but the lowbies seem to be excluded from any chances of getting rewards from this event, or for participating at all. Will the Winter Festival allow them to access Eveningstar to participate in the event as well?

2. Just to clear it up, this WILL be going on at the same time as the events in Eberron right?

3. (for Lammania preview) will the ice skates be able to be purchased from the DDO store soon? Had not done much skating last year, so I don't own skates though will participate more this year especially with this event going on.

As a side note: I really like what you have done with winterizing Eveningstar! It looks great!! Only thing, is it intended that you can walk THROUGH the snowmen??

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by xaul17 View Post
    I am in agreement with this post. I have a couple of more questions to add to it, however, stating a couple of concerns:

1. Will only those of higher level be able to participate? I know it's in Eveningstar, but the lowbies seem to be excluded from any chances of getting rewards from this event, or for participating at all. Will the Winter Festival allow them to access Eveningstar to participate in the event as well?

2. Just to clear it up, this WILL be going on at the same time as the events in Eberron right?

3. (for Lammania preview) will the ice skates be able to be purchased from the DDO store soon? Had not done much skating last year, so I don't own skates though will participate more this year especially with this event going on.

As a side note: I really like what you have done with winterizing Eveningstar! It looks great!! Only thing, is it intended that you can walk THROUGH the snowmen??
    1. I have no idea. I know players as early as level 16 can get to Eveningstar. But I don't know about people lower than that. Or characters that haven't done the quests.

2. No idea. I know this event is on, but the one in the harbor was off.

3. Probably. Will get them when the tokens for the race arrive most likely.

Takai-

Lamannia Coordinator SqueakofDoom's Avatar
    The End of the Universe - The view is great!

The Risia games in the Harbor will be turned on for live. However, because I would like to encourage everyone on Lamannia to run the Eveningstar Midwinter Festival race, I have not switched on the Risia games. Also, the Tokens for the Eveningstar Race should be in the store soon (along with other winter items: Ice Skates and Hot Cider).

Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    The Risia games in the Harbor will be turned on for live. However, because I would like to encourage everyone on Lamannia to run the Eveningstar Midwinter Festival race, I have not switched on the Risia games. Also, the Tokens for the Eveningstar Race should be in the store soon (along with other winter items: Ice Skates and Hot Cider).
    Will there be a port by the fountain in harbor so we don't have to do the flagging quests to get to Eveningstar Please.

Its ok i seen your other post - http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...75&postcount=1

THANK you.
    Last edited by SirShen; 12-01-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Community Member evilgardengnome's Avatar

I want to know if the polar bear cub will drink a Coke for one of it's tricks.

I also would suggest increasing number of tokens per day, since i decided not to buy any tp and just run around with tp what i can farm... i will be using my tokens in less then 5~10 min per day of event, i won't be able to even finish warm up!

With token problem on side, the new race is very nice, i never liked risia jumping stuff but this one is a lot fun, it feels like old platform games, if there where crates with apples to crash, it would be almost like old games with "weird" fox very nice update to event.

One more, i realy like new eveningstar look, winter was made nicely, and after seeing it think this is one of the best looking places in DDO (only... flowers near tavern shouldn't be frozen?).

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

The Risia games in the Harbor will be turned on for live.
    This makes me feel a little better then.

Takai-

I don't see the big issue with the powerups being useless. (and they both are, not just the jump one)

Just treat the jump one as an obstacle - avoid them. The speed ones dont matter either way as you should have a phiarlan pendant. The jump ones are uncommon and easy enough to see from afar to avoid. Tons of speed ones litered about you can ignore.

And theres no mega jumping invovled to get the good stuff anyways, a skill of 30 or so will get all the snowflakes, so avoid the jump buff and slap on a basic jump item or get a buff.

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I don't see the big issue with the powerups being useless. (and they both are, not just the jump one)

Just treat the jump one as an obstacle - avoid them. The speed ones dont matter either way as you should have a phiarlan pendant. The jump ones are uncommon and easy enough to see from afar to avoid. Tons of speed ones litered about you can ignore.

And theres no mega jumping invovled to get the good stuff anyways, a skill of 30 or so will get all the snowflakes, so avoid the jump buff and slap on a basic jump item or get a buff.
    Haste one is mildly useful (if you don't have haste or pendant).

Jump one is useful as well. It's just the featherfall that makes it less useful/annoying.

Takai-

The point being made by Coldin, and I'm in agreement is that the number of tokens granted per account is not sufficient. This needs to be per alt on the account, or increased dramatically - otherwise this is simply a pay to win scenario....

I do not anticipate using the store for any tokens - in fact, if the rate of tokens per account isn't changed, I do not foresee myself participating in the event at all.

The good side - i do like the track and layout, the event itself is nicely done.
    Archangels (Thelanis)
    Ravaclese | Harvesterr | Garrret | Barrith | Kaduceus | Rhyythms | Empti | Onanka | Nukkuls| Nemisys | Syckness | Wheredhego

2016 DDO Players Council Ziindarax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evilgardengnome View Post
    I want to know if the polar bear cub will drink a Coke for one of it's tricks.
    If it drinks a bottle of fluid resembling a coke, I would not mind trying to get my hands on a polar bear pet.

One thing I've noticed - The rewards are random. First run - 300 motes, and I received a recipe for Glaciation 114. Second run - A little over 500 motes, yet I received a recipe for Glaciation 84 (or an 80-something recipe that was rather inferior to what I'd received in the first run).

Also, I've noticed that, at the moment, there's virtually nothing being offered for non-casters in the way of weapon enchants. The Festival fire/cold resist seems a nice touch for those wearing random-gen items.

My suggestion would be to add all the recipes currently available in Eberron, and maybe even add some new recipes for Epic Levels.

Maybe consider adding Boreal and the 3-18 version. Or maybe an icy version meteoric - Frozen, Boreal, Icy Blast - Something really nice for weapons. Granted, it would be more expensive in motes than the Icy burst recipes, but I think it would add an incentive for non-casters to participate (especially considering the fact random generated weapons are actually competitive with named loot now).

Edit - Also, I strongly agree the tokens/tickets awarded per day should be increased significantly - No event should be designed around a pay-to-win scheme (or even a pay-to-play scheme).
    Last edited by Ziindarax; 12-01-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Ziind Stargazer - Level 12 fighter/6 Barbarian/2 rogue Half-Orc (Neutral Good) - Formerly a level 20 Paladin Human - Orien

Fernian Summer Carnival

Community Member

The limited number of free tokens is a problem I agree. The number of tokens should be higher. However, if the winter games are going to be left on for several weeks uninterrupted, then I can see the current limited number of tokens not being a problem. However, it is disappointing that the winter games the is equal for all players no matter their class or skill is the game that will have a limit on free playtime.

Two things come in mind about the Polar Bear Cub Companion. One, it costs 10,000 motes, so do the motes stack up to that number? Remember Mabar allowed players to buy the Spectral Dragon Scale but we couldn't stack the motes to the proper number. Have the Devs checked this yet. Second, this was a good idea for the Dev to include, too bad a mini-pumpkin beholder was available for Mabar. So Dev, get cracking for next year with that.

It's disappointing to see that melees are currently getting stiffed with the new winter games. Additionally, Ice Guard and Freezing Ice recipes for armor should be added also.

Default epic fail

having to buy tokens to run more than 3 times a day makes this the worst event in my opinion. i have done them all till my eyes bleed, and im not looking forward to this one. ill pass

Lancashire UK - Keeper Refugee, Played since beta

IMHO

VIP + Expansion owner = expectation to play all content as much as I like without having to use the store tokens.

otherwise = perceived breach of terms of service

If we cant farm the event, this little guy will die of neglect:

Dex - Leader - THΣ ЏΠΣΔЯТΗΣÐ ΔЯСΔΠΔ
    I don't do serious, it no fun

Hero
    2015 Movember Hero

Coldin pretty much said it in the OP.

-Featherfall works against us in this event and I haven't been able to spot a place where I needed jump to get anything. The jump buff is more of an obstacle than anything. If it is intended to be an obstacle or time sink it needs some cue to let players know that it's a debuff, not a buff.

-Tokens? Not enough per day. I ran out when it was starting to get interesting, but it was the point where I would NOT feel inclined to spend TP for more tokens.

-Are the tokens going to be BTC on Live too? BTA would make more sense for an item being given out per account.

-I haven't pulled any of the base recipes yet. It was mentioned in another thread by a player that those only come from getting lower scores. Is that correct?
    Squeak made sure we had tokens aplenty on lamannia and it still didn't feel good trying to do worse just to get a base recipe. Players aren't going to like feeling the pressure to be an underachiever. There's something counter-intuitive about it.

Perceived problems aside, I like this event.
    It's a fun course to do ...even without using a token on it.

Random. Item. Crafting. Excellent! It's not OP and won't do much for players that have acquired el primo gear already, but any opportunity to customize gear is appreciated.

The random placement of the snowflakes keeps it entertaining. It doesn't have the burn out effect that the egg hunt does.

The granting of rewards felt polished. No need to run to somebody to tell you what you received from it. The items head straight to your inventory and messages pop up on-screen and in chat to tell you what the score was. smooth

It's not frantic, it's just ...fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
    ... Now, it's likely that I'll probably be able to keep up a mote rate of 180, but for simplicities sake, let's say I get 150 motes per day. Assuming I don't spend any of those motes on any other reward, or buy rental skates, I'm looking at a minimum of 23 days to be able to afford the Polar Bear Cub. That's over three weeks, making sure to log in every day to get the free tokens.
    Are you running this without skates on Coldin? If so, they are definately worth the price in the rental. With the skates, the house P pendant, some backtracking on the race track, and using the double snowflake bonus effectively it's pretty easy to hit a score between 500 and 600. That's 166 to 200 motes per token (not factoring in the 50 mote rental fee).
    It's still going to be quite a few days before you can afford the polar bear club though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marupal View Post
    -Are the tokens going to be BTC on Live too? BTA would make more sense for an item being given out per account.
    That's an understatement.

Remember when Cannith Challenges were first intorduced, and the furor over "BTC ingredients / BTA items"? Considering how universally hated that system was back then, I am very surprised Turbine is introducing it again. If that goes live, count me out of the event.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Community Member

me no like the idea of the limited tokens. I would be okay with it if it was 'per character', but not 'per account'

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Default tokens and limits for VIP? NO

Just because it is an event does not mean it is not content.

VIPs should not be limited to doing this any specific number of times without resorting to the DDO store. If I am VIP, and have purchased MOTU, I have unlimited access to all content.

Limiting this is a slap in the face to VIPs and should not even have been considered beyond the one money hungry idiot who first dreamed it up.

VIPS pay for unlimited access and should receive such, or you should eliminate the subscription plan entirely.

I liked the ice jump. We buy a single item from the store (skates) and play as much as we want. I'll do a few of the daily runs around the track, but the pay to play tokens actually sicken me. If I want limited plays per day, I'll log onto facebook and play all the Zynga games there. This is not something I want in DDO which is a game I actually still respect. Unlimited plays or a single purchase to play. Anything else feels dirty. Just like the blessings for the egg hunt which are a blatant rip off once you realize what you can "win"
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast