Community Member Son_of_the_South's Avatar

Default My First Alchemical - Advice Please

So I want to make my first Alchemical weapon - Handwraps.

I have the blank and now need to think about what to put in them.

I need to preface this by stating that I am a Light Monk (Shintao).

Given my attacks will bypass Adamantine, Byeshk, Cold Iron and Silver....should i make them Flametouched or Crystal?? I'm thinking Flametouched....

Then I am thinking Air - Air - Air (Shocking Burst, Stunning +10, Heightened Awareness, Alchem Dext +2, Lightning Strike, Double Strike 6%, +6 enahcement, Electric Storm , Red Augment slot)

Id really like the advice of those with more experience than me in Alchem Wepaons and end game scenarios - is Electric the way to go? Obviously Stunning, Heightened Awareness, Doublestrike, +2 Alchem Dext are all kinda no brainers for a Monk but am i missing anything here?

I'd suggest Byeshk for the +1 die step (more damage is always good).

I'd also go for triple air but that's a personal choice and you may want something different depending on how you play and what quests you do.

byeshk is probably the most common metal type for handwraps - hard to beat +1[W] dmg. and air/air/air is also a very common choice. and not a bad one at that. i do know of a monk or two that opted for water on tier 3 simply because the save for that is will instead of reflex. but there's not really a wrong choice when it comes to details like that.
    ~ *Nikibrik* - The Arbiter of Life & Death | Brogburt - The Warlord | Capricio - The Lore-keeper | Rubrik - The Grove Protector | Kallistie - The Arch Necromancer | Thorbim - The Outlaw ~
    Thelanis ~ <Dwarven Weapons and Tactics>

Allow me to theorycraft in your general direction:

Air/air/air was very popular when these things first came out, due to stunning +10, heightened awareness, doublestrike 6%, and electricity being the least resisted element at that point.

Things are a little different now though. First, electricty is probably the MOST resisted element in Faerun content. Heightened Awareness is redundant with superior parrying found on the Bracers of the Sunsoul (Which are very good items, even if you don't want to use the full set). Doublestrike can be found on items like Epic Spare Hand and randomrolled epic items - although 6% is better than what you'll usually find, its not MUCH better.

Here's an alternative - Triple Earth. Gain two good crowd control abilities (Greater stone prison/earthgrab) which pair very well with monk blindingly fast attack speed, +2 alchemical constitution (Which will probably help you more than dex, I'd think), a much less resisted element for Faerun content, and a proc that is untyped.

Another alternative is X/water/water. Tier 1 water is rather redundant with frozen tunic, but if you are going to sideline that for level 20+ content anyhow, then tier 1 water becomes a somewhat viable choice. Teir 2 water gives =2 alchemical wisdom (great for mokns!) and arguably the most overall DPS from proc... on paper anyway. Any overlap in the DoTs from these severely reduce their damage output, and they do currently bug out Niacs and greater Creeping Cold i believe. Tier 3 cold triggers will saves instead of reflex, which makes it potentially better (?)

These options do depend on your planned gear layout for epic levels. triple air is still a VERY good set of handwraps, but they do have some potential redundancies you should be aware of. Good luck!

Default My opinion on alchemical wraps

Assuming light monk:

Metal: byeshk seems appropriate given that only a few items have the extra die step modification. At the endgame it's very likely you will already have it on a named robe but as a light monk you can already bypass all worthwhile metal-based DR, so there's no reason not to use byeshk.

Tier1: air seems the best bet since slotting stunning+10 elsewhere would mean the Seal of House Dun'Robar which would preclude a ToD ring burst or uncentering with Hide of the Goristro. Neither seem viable, and fire's seeker/water's fire shield are almost certainly better slotted off-hand, and for cheaper.
    Earth is actually a great option but I would recommend only trying these out if you have an extra pair of alchemical handwrap blanks and are exorbitantly wealthy.

Tier2: water is my preferred because there is no other current place to get a static alchemical wisdom bracket. The only other way to even get such a bonus is through highly unreliable, short-duration House Deneith collectibles.
    The extra wisdom bracket nets you 1 extra AC, higher DCs on almost all your ki-tactics, 1 extra Will save, and a bump in your Spot skill. I find this more useful 90% of the time more than extra doublestrike DPS which can actually also be slotted off-hand which I find ideal (granted, eSparehand only grants 3% and the only other source for 6% offhand occupies the ring which is not great--other good sources to maximize doublestrike are Fabricator's Bracers and destiny twists).
    I'm unfamiliar with the math but crushing wave+corrosive salt are probably not terribly far behind lightning strike+doublestrike, but since you can get most of the best of both worlds for the sacrifice of 3% doublestrike with eSparehand, I prefer that.
    Thinking ahead for TRs, it's also nice to have the extra wisdom in a divine, monk-splashed life if that's on your way to completionist.

Tier3: water is ideal to me as DC39 will save is far less likely to be saved against than DC 39 fortitude or reflex. That's my general impression from a spellcaster perspective, and in practice you'll find cold in general isn't resisted frequently in endgame comment (most of MoTU is susceptible, and I mostly find immunes in eSands which isn't challenging anyway).

I would like to make a special note of keeping earth tier1 byeshk alchemical wraps around for TR fun. They're superb CC at lvl 16 in wind stance!
    Character Compendium

Holy burst ToD ring negates any desire for flametouched.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Crushing wave cancels out cold spell DOTs, last I checked.

When raiding/grouping teir2 water could well be negative DPS, just a heads up.

I made trash wraps: Earth/Water/Water

Earth tier 1 for the stone prison/earthgrab
    Water tier 2 for the +2 wisdom. I like my EiN to power through EE mobs, and it gives 1 more DC to my stunning fist/quivering palm/touch of death
    Water tier 3 because that's what I happened to have. Earth might be better here, there is less stuff resistant to acid.

I made them byeshk for the +die step.

I keep seeing that crushing wave negates Niac's, but I haven't had any complaints. But then again I don't generally use them VS bosses. And in EE content, having AOE effects proc off my handwraps kinda sucks when you're running with a fascinator. Generally I switch to water stance + alchemical wraps when I'm going to EiN, then switch back to grave wrappings for the neg level proc. Antipode for more DPS.

Community Member

I wouldn’t bother making them at all.

Grave wrappings are better for most trash.

Greater Bane/Smiting/Banishing/etc are better for bosses
    and specific monster types.

Endless Night wraps for undead.

Tier 3 is detrimental to some crowd control strategies
    due to the risk of accidentally grabbing undesired agro,
    breaking fascinates, etc.

I wouldn't bother on a shintao. I'd just use Antipode for dips/grave wrappings for trash.

They're much better on a dark monk or a deep splash (namely one that doesn't break DR/Adamantine), because they save you from having to craft Adamantine/CB, Silver/EOB and Cold Iron/EOB.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Community Member Son_of_the_South's Avatar

Some great advice here, from the first few replies, thank you.

I have the full Sun Soul Set and Grave Wrappings. I cannot see them (Grave Wrappings) having a higher DPS than properly constructed Tier III Alchems though, although they are good in certain situations. Antipide would be nice but will need to run CitW for them....and this thread was about Alchems, so........

I very much like the idea of Air, Water, Water.

The +2 alchem Wis (DC and AC and Saves) is a nice bonus - on the wiki the clarification text says +2 enahancement bonus but surely this is an "Alchemical" bonus, yes? NOT enhancement? Some clarification there would be good:

"Alchemical Wisdom +2: This item makes the wearer more in tune with her surroundings, granting a +2 enhancement bonus to Wisdom."

Also the Will save to Freezing Gale is nice (and i have Epic Charged Gauntlets so already have Elec damage from those).

Does the +1 die step increase from Byeshk supersede the .5 from Reinforcved Fists (from Vestments)??

I've only just dipped my toes into Alchemical crafting. What's the general view on it? Handwraps seem to be popular, but beyond that they seem to have trouble fitting in between greensteel and epic gear. Is the grind worth it?

I guess I'm asking are there any canonical alchemical items comparable to popular GS recipes such as conopp goggles, Lit2 falchions and triple pos mauls. At first glance handwraps and shields jump out.
    Don't feed the trolls.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Community Member

The +2 alchemical bonus is its own type and stacks with everything else.

I really like my byeshk/air/water for max stunning at lvl 18 while TR'ing. I won't go tier 3 as there is other nice stuff to use from lvl 20 onwards.