Question level drain/ turbine making money out of bugs?

So I read somewhere that deathward should actually protect you from getting negative levels. As we all know this is not the case. I don't know if this is a deliberate gameplay decision or a ... *bug*. If it's a bug, well don't you think it's pretty hilarious that turbine now aggressively advertises cures via in-game pop-ups. Not that I'm really annoyed by these messages, they don't break the immersion for me mainly because the message has always been there and I think there are far more annoying issues right now and I'm not on a holy crusade against all in-game advertisements.

But the fact that Turbine really tries to earn money from a bug ... I mean that really strikes me I have no words for it ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    People are absolutely working on it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimbelbo View Post
    So I read somewhere that deathward should actually protect you from getting negative levels. As we all know this is not the case. I don't know if this is a deliberate gameplay decision or a ... *bug*. If it's a bug, well don't you think it's pretty hilarious that turbine now aggressively advertises cures via in-game pop-ups. Not that I'm really annoyed by these messages, they don't break the immersion for me mainly because the message has always been there and I think there are far more annoying issues right now and I'm not on a holy crusade against all in-game advertisements.

But the fact that Turbine really tries to earn money from a bug ... I mean that really strikes me I have no words for it ...
    Deathward does protect you from negative levels. Deathblock does not. But I don't think that is considered a bug.

Deathward DOES protect you from level drain
    Deathblock does NOT protect you from level drain

If you have Deathward on and face a beholder your Deathward gets dispelled and you get level drained
    Move along , Nothing to see here

I don't believe there are permanent deathward items in game.
    Permanent deathblock items yes, permanent deathward items, no.

Spell or clickie based deathward can be easily dispelled by high level casters, beholders or the Disjunction trap.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

You are abolutely right, my bad.

Still, It's kind of annoying that if you don't play a cleric and you're using only deathblock but cannot cast deathward you permanently get drained and there is nothing you can do about it, except of course getting rare items form unpopular p2p-packs that waste a slot or you have to use one of the notorious hirelings.

Even if it's not a bug than in my eyes it is at least a poor gameplay decision (and against DnD rules?) and then sell cures against it via in-game shop pop-ups is at least a bit cynical don't you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    People are absolutely working on it at the moment.

Still, It's kind of annoying that if you don't play a cleric and you're using only deathblock but cannot cast deathward you permanently get drained and there is nothing you can do about it, except of course getting rare items form unpopular p2p-packs that waste a slot or you have to use one of the notorious hirelings.

Even if it's not a bug than in my eyes it is at least a poor gameplay decision (and against DnD rules?) and then sell cures against it via in-game shop pop-ups is at least a bit cynical don't you think?
    Stop talking.
    scrollfu! meowfu! +4fu! firstyfu!
    Maarl de Gutter (ret.) ~ Gnaaarl de Mutter (ret.) ~ Nineinch Rails (ret.)
    Intragreenis Druid - Human FvS [x2] Evoker ~ Guttural de Chanter - Elf Wiz [x4] PM
    Potpourri de Foo Foo - WF Wiz [Sx3][FvSx3][Wx3] Shiradi

I don't believe Deathblock even exists in DnD 3.x rules, so no, that's the developers helpin players, not conspiring against them. It's also been this way since 2006 so clearly not a bug, but working as intended, long before there was a way to spend money on DDO outside of your monthly fee.

Shard trinket of greater restoration

Being WF or hunter of the dead II also prevent.

A few restoration scrolls will do it.
    Last edited by t0r012; 11-26-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Community Member akiraproject24's Avatar

You can make a bunch of silver flame necklaces 10 charges of neg absorption each
    You can stock up on gloomy potions of deathward from mabar
    You can trade commendation in eveningstar for potions of deathward
    You can stockpile deathward cakes from coin turn ins
    You can utilize various spell absorption items like pale lavender ioun stone
    You can roll a WF
    You can roll a Pale master
    You can utilize Sealed Soul from Shadow dancer destiny
    You can use a hireling with deathward spell
    I may have left something out but these should lend plenty of choices

Not to mention neg levels used to persist indefinately till death or removed from resto spell...now they wear off after 1 min...this was not to aid the players but to nerf the neg level spells players used. Also full resto pots are dropping in the loot tables now
    Last edited by akiraproject24; 11-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    ThwartedFhalhaenaWrekkinWrexxMaisterThwarteddHematemesisRhayzedOffensiveReduction
    Pimpin toons since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by t0r012 View Post
    [

Being WF or hunter of the dead I also prevent.

A few restoration scrolls will do it.
    If you are taking about PrE here then, being in undead form also helps.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

I used to be terrified of going against things with Level Drains in DnD because there are not nearly as many options for getting rid of such terrible ailments, and normally encounters are far fewer and more dire than in DDO, where combat in numbers and live action makes the experience different and enjoyable.

As for "permanently" getting level drains and having "nothing to do about it" unless you are a cleric, this is slightly exaggerated. I have lots of store bought restoration potions that cure what ails me without taking up a slot on my gear. But I also don't have a problem with swapping out my gear for a useful deathward clicky, or haste, or greater heroism, I am madly in love with my free spell gear.

As for selling potions in the DDO store for cash, I don't buy consumables from the store. Plenty of in game options around it. I don't really feel like I'm being forced into a corner needing to pay money to get out.

Perhaps you seek the "God Mode" enhancement bonus on the mythical "DM Plate".

Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    Stop talking.
    hahahahahaha

Every class and or race has benefits and or abilities that the others do not. Pick a race, and it has something the others do not. Pick a class and it has stuff that the other classes can't do. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

It's just part of the game.

Play the game, and enjoy getting negative leveled. I know I do, but yes it can be a pain in the ass at times. Pop a hireling cleric that can cast mass death ward and move out smartly.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

Well, there are some items that provide this as a clicky like the Visor of the Flesh Render (level 5 googles) and the Epic Dusk Heart and unsure if it meanwhile even drop as a random loot-gen bonus. Also as it is a level 4 spell for most divine casters you may be able to scroll cast it with enough UMD. By the way, not only Clerics but also FvS, Druids and Paladins get this as a native spell.

All in all one could say that it encourage team play and therefore I personally guess poor gameplay decision doesn't really fit well...
    Also while restoration potions will not cure levels lost, they at least should cure stat damage so anybody always should have a staple of them in the pockets to help on this.
    Last edited by SisAmethyst; 11-26-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

such is the life of characters who cant cast deathward. i could complain about the same things like heal amp, ogre strength and having to constantly switch weapons depending on the mob, but im not going to. not enough slots to be able to equip everything that you want or not enough universal gear. i dont like that i have to switch out my wis item for the silver flame necklace on my monk, but its better than insta dying or getting negged.

i wouldnt exactly consider necro unpopular, more like certain packs, but you could run cursed crypt 3 times or even Abbot 3 times for the upgraded necklace. theres usually someone flagged at level who likes to farm the Crypts. Invaders isnt really unpopular either. i see a lot of groups for that. ive never seen the optic nerves drop in any run ive been in, but some people do get lucky.

i dont consider what you are saying a poor game play decision. you have to be able to cast deathward to prevent neg levels. deathblock helps (not for negs), but ive never found it to be that great. i pick my poison in those situations. i know when im running Dreams of Insanity, fighting a caster that i know likes to neg level or making the run to Hound, i wear the necklace, but in normal questing i usually dont wear deathblock and never had any issues because of it.