Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default dogs and wolves in the epic doghouse

I don't think I have seen an arti or a druid summon their pet in an epic quest in quite a while. And I understand them. Even when soloing an epic quest on normal, it seems both kind of pets get horribly murdered real fast.
    IMO pets have several weakness in epic:
    -they attack at a really slow rate
    -they can't really get enough damage mitigation: wolf can't get a decent AC at all, dog can barely get an Ac high enough. To get PRR you have to get a primal avatar (ie, one hell of a grind for arti)
    -they can't get their Fortification high enough. I thought augment summoning was supposed to increase it but not seeing anything. So one has to give them an armor with heavy fort (instead of superior stability...). And that's not even enough for quest with fort bypassing mobs (we can get>150% fort, the pets can't)

So anyone found a way to keep the pet alive, without babysitting it? Or is it a lost cause?
    Pirotesse (battle-trap), Clausius (old style paly), Cadhu (swat fighter), Abysinthe (cleric), Sephiria (sorc), Dragunova (archer), Mauhin (wiz), Muhrahin(wf juggernauth), Azred(tempest), Birebash(sniper cleric), Bashibouzouk (barb), Salud(battle bard), Sniperovitch (repeater), Iraelle(battle cleric)

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

My Arty dog seems pretty durable; But my Wolf requires constant babysitting.

Hireling Healers do a very good job of keeping pets, summons, Coyles etc. alive.
    Just not themselves it seems...
    Well, depends on what the danger is actually, and how much agro they get. The last mod did fix them slightly I think.

I do a lot of quests, two man, with two hire Cleric types and two panthers. This usually works out well. (but it helps if the live players have the ability to res the hires)

Pets are not a big problem with hires to babysit them.

But... if no hires, I spend a huge amount of my own healing resources on my pets.... more than on myself.

Regardless of a live healer to heal me or not.
    More so on the wolf than on the defender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

We use the Arti's Dog to hit the portal in Epic Reclaiming the rift all the time

But aside from that, I am still seeing pets in many groups, and they do ok. But I run with some pretty good CC.
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

I understand this, and I screwed up with my Ranger/Druid, because my wolf only levels with my druid, he is weak for the level of quests I am running. And because you have constantly babysit them, they take more clicking then I do... Or ofcourse you suffer the damage when they die. At the wrong time that is very painful. Not whining mind you, that is my inexperience not the pets.

But yes, I can understand what you are saying, I dont run epic levels yet, still too much of newb, but I have been trying to figure out how to make my wolf a bit more durable. He is great for drawing the aggro, but that is also a downfall.
    An old man playing the electronic version of the game he has loved for thirty years.
    Officer, Hands of Chaos
    Proudly receiving negative feed back for having ethics and standing on Principle.
    Rangers Lead the Way

Community Member

I don't have any difficulties with my Druid's wolf, and that character has been solo'd to cap (with hireling). I admit, however, to pretty much sticking to normal, with a rare hard here and there.

I had a heavy fort leather on the wolf, but I recently changed it out to a different leather (something or other storm guard, iirc). But I admit that Primal Avatar probably makes a huge difference and we'll see how survivable the wolf is when I next change destinies.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

As an artificer I set my pet on passive and use them as a mobile evasion shield that I can heal back up.

Awesome for blocking doors from which to shoot behind. Delayed blast fireball has nothing on my dog on an elite shroud run.

Otherwise I'll sic my dog on a caster because he's wearing the beholder plate docent with the +10 reflex saves on it.

Half the time he bugs out and I have to resummon him anyway. so I understand players that choose to no longer use them after a while.
    Daishado

"drink triple ... see double ... act single! uh oh wife aggro" *hides*

I use my wolf all the time as a druid. But this might because I'm a melee/healer build. It only costs 10 more SP to use Regeneration, Mass , he isn't hard to keep up at all. I equip him with the gear and collar. With 1200 HP and the other druid buffs I put on him , the only reason I tank better then him is I have better healing amp but he can get the agro easier hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos000 View Post
    Half the time he bugs out and I have to resummon him anyway. so I understand players that choose to no longer use them after a while.
    ^^This. I'm currently back to an arty life. My dog has been useful into Necro 4. Then because some of the shadows go invis, he bugs out quite often barking at nothing. Re-summon works, but in quests that have a lot of my attention, I don't have the multitasking resources soloing with or without a hire to keep him up all the time. If anything, the dog is something other than ME that is getting aggro. (I took flak for popping a turret in the fire room in POP until I pointed out that while the turret does NO damage to anything, it will still attract aggro)

IF I recall correctly my arti dog has over 1000hp and improved evasion, and generally seems to do ok in EH content but needs to be very careful in EE content or he gets destroyed pretty easy. His DT docent has heavy fort, sr 22, and... I forget, sorry.

Druid dog... not high enough level to know epic viability yet but at low level it does seem a bit more squishy than I remember the arti dog being.
    This space intentionally left mostly blank.

Yeah, the druid dog is slightly squisher then the arti dog at earlier levels but I think that is because Arti's got a DR/AC line for their pet. Once Druids get Greater Vigor and Regeneration , much easier for them to stay up.

I'm using the leather from the Demon web chain on my dog. He doesn't have heavy fort item but between the fort that comes from Augment summon and the 30% healing amp and fort buff he doesn't go down easily. I just wish I could see my dog trip, his DC should be higher then mine but only time I see a trip from him is the 1% from the pet buff in Primal Avatar.

I've only started on epics (level 20, almost 21), but my dog seems pretty sturdy. I use a white dragon docent (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:White_Dragonscale_Docent) and he's set up to evade and bluff. I don't expect him to kill much, just hold aggro and survive--which he seems to do well. With the Docent, it shows 100% fortification and an AC from 74 to 78 with my buffs on him. (Also have augment summoning, if it matters.)

I also have a Quorforged Docent of Battle (http://ddowiki.com/page/Quorforged_Docent_of_Battle) which adds about 120 HP, but I haven't got the pack to unsuppress it yet and Snoopy dies rarely enough to not sweat his hit points much.

It seems that the more "enhancements" the dog ha--bluff-trip-sunder--the slower they attack as well. So minimizing those might help with attack rate as well as--possibly--armor of speed.

Unless my arty's dog bugs out, he has performed extremely well in all content to include the old epic and the new epic elite.

Over 1000 HP's and evasion with high saves. Yes they die and they aren't perfect, but they are indeed useful if you pay attention to them.

I haven't got my druids wolf up that high yet, so Im still in the dark as far epic content goes.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

Community Member

Default Arti pup

The best docent for an arti pup is the epic blades mark docent with heavy fort and +6 con augments. My pup has over 1200 Hps, improved evasion, 100% fort, and a 52 trip DC. He is also wearing a grave wrappings collar.

He doesn't seem to have an issue in epics. The only time I don't bring him along is during a raid, other party members don't like having them around.

I guess I should state that I am a level 25 arti using sharadi ED.

Dogwhisperer and his pup Ubu

Maxing out the Bluff line keeps Druid dogs alive pretty well. My puppy is only level 18 since I multiclassed, but he still stays alive the majority of the time in EN, and I usually only have to raise him once or twice in EH, which makes him more reliable than the average pugger.
    Bronies: For those who get it, no explanation is needed; for those who don't, none will do.

IDK the pets seem like a waste of time and mana to have anywhere but pulling a lever.

Not sure if they fixed the uncaring master enhancement for arties, but even if they did I could still find any number of useful places for that action point.

The things just suck. Maybe if they couldn't die, or were given 10k hp, they would be ok, and really only just for some kind of debuffing. Personally i'd rather they made up their mind as to *** the druid is for, before they spend time on the pet that will probably suck more afterward.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Ha, I just found some soul-stealing leather for my wolf as well as my druid. Now I am tripping over soul stones

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    [snip]Personally i'd rather they made up their mind as to *** the druid is for, before they spend time on the pet that will probably suck more afterward.
    They did, it's for a little bit of everything.
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

I do wish the pets had a destiny line to choose from at epic levels to keep them viable even at end-game
    Daishado

my dog is only there as a lever pulling, pedestal stepping item
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

If they had an option for halflings to ride the pet wolf or dog for faster movement I guarantee more would use them
    Daishado

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast