Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. #21
    Community Member issalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I was told my 270 to almost 280 hp first life drow rouge at lv 18 was a piece of **** (but in more colorful language) saying to just stop now and delete him without going any farther. also that i should be ashamed for creating such a piece of ****. Then he posted a link to a forum page and said follow this or you will always suck. the page was a build for a 700+ hp rouge build :/

    Now i know that people like to say the only way to play this seems to be overpowering hp builds i dissagree. i make my own builds and if they are great it is not cause i followed anything but experience. As for my rouge he had a max of like 300 at 20 and i tanked hard shroud harry only the one required death came from the run for me the 600 hp fighters all died 3-7 times.

  2. #22
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by issalar View Post
    I was told my 270 to almost 280 hp first life drow rouge at lv 18 was a piece of **** (but in more colorful language) saying to just stop now and delete him without going any farther. also that i should be ashamed for creating such a piece of ****. Then he posted a link to a forum page and said follow this or you will always suck. the page was a build for a 700+ hp rouge build :/

    Now i know that people like to say the only way to play this seems to be overpowering hp builds i dissagree. i make my own builds and if they are great it is not cause i followed anything but experience. As for my rouge he had a max of like 300 at 20 and i tanked hard shroud harry only the one required death came from the run for me the 600 hp fighters all died 3-7 times.
    I just wanted to point out that Harry's aggro consistently shifts.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

  3. #23
    Community Member SealedInSong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    997

    Default Both

    I don't support being impolite, but I do think that they were being both elitist and not "helpful" but truthful.

    I wouldn't harass anyone for building a character I find suboptimal, but I do agree that any HP under 400 by level 18 is eventually going to be quite a burden on a party unless, and only unless, they intend to manage aggro reliably in more than two ways and not get hit. That usually means either fascination, arcane CC, or carefully managed ranged attacking.

    Again, people shouldn't be rude to each other--it's just a game. But perhaps instead of digging in your heels or making claims about your hardiness in a level 17 raid when the new endgame is level 25 you should take the person's poorly-framed criticism constructively.

    Get more HP.
    Character Compendium
    __________________
    Sarlona*Eternal Wrath
    __________________

  4. #24
    Community Member psi0nix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    G-Land - Brisbane
    Posts
    442

    Default

    lol, I look at a lot of the posts saying that basically you 'must' have however many hundreds of HP for whatever build... try this.

    1st life elf sorc - at level 20 190hp, 3000sp (this was before ED / guild ships, roughly 4 years ago). It performed well in epic quests, though I did spend most time kind of 'hiding' and just throwing spells once agrro was firm on the melee, (there was no EE), funny thing is though, not once did anyone ever say anything critical or complimentary either about the build. I never had trouble getting into raids / groups. I was certainly not solo running quests or elites (I was unaware of UMD usefulness when I built it), the build actually had dex put into it (as I remembered from D&D that dex is handy for casters / non-armour wearing characters).


    There was the occasional 'gimp' jibe (friendly), but I still get that on a 700+hp 3300sp PM build (now TR'd). (same sorc but on it's 4th life (sorc,sorc,wiz,wiz)).

    There is a difference between being 'helpful' and 'elitist', I think once you start getting into the area where you are running someone down because of their build choice then that is getting into the 'elitist' area, and really just gets peoples back up and has the possibility of having them chalk you up as a 'tool' and ignoring your advice regardless of it's viability.

    Different players can do different things with such a wide range of builds, and sometimes they may surprise you.

  5. #25
    Community Member Zerkul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pompei
    Posts
    1,310

    Default

    Short premise: probably i'm an elitist. Honestly there's just one thing i don't like ... people who want to join up difficult quests (usually just EE content nowdays), saying they perfomed well in something of lower level (even some epics), that when gets refused go mad freely sending you their rage tells.

    It's difficult to find people willing to teach you how to build your character. When you find some you're fine but i suggest everyone experiment things theirselves, looking up other characters equipment on YourDDO and even copying builds on forums of the people you think are good players. Research is always rewarding and often fun as well. I learned a lot of things from forums and YourDDO and i keep learning, even if i consider myself a very good elitist player.

    Remember that golden made characters (very optimized ones, equipment-wise and build-wise) can be extremely good performing even in the endgame content without any kind of TR. TR is just that tool you use to give your character that unique kind of power that makes him shine among the others, but the game itself doesn't require someone to TR to be able to do quests (at least in parties, if you want to solo that's another story). It's just better to have TRs because not everyone can optimize good enough their characters and not everyone is able to find every piece of equipment required to make things work.

    BR,
    Z.
    Last edited by Zerkul; 12-05-2012 at 05:50 AM.
    Guild Leader of "GODS - Guardians Of the Dragon Sanctuary" on Cannith --- My Characters: Zavarthak (20 Barbarian Frenzied/Ravager DPS - MAIN), Ryumajin (Warlock,), Leohands (Evocation FVS firstlife), Galvano (Paladin TWF). - If you like or find useful my posts, consider adding reputation.

  6. #26
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Here is a helpful dwarf rogue in action: "Hey Cannith," said the dwarf, "come do this fun raid! You are welcome in this group!" The sad, pitiful (but still helpful) little dwarf sat in his LFM with his only friend Ashwyn the artificer for 70 minutes. (ed. note: LFM reads "20-25; EN - New players welcome. Way to quest is cleared.")



    Crestfallen, our heroic dwarf tries to be elitist: "We don't need any frail deadweight losers joining this deadly dwarven duo," he exclaimed, leaping into battle with the robot invaders from space. (ed. note: author skips over all DDO quest dialog, so this is the best understanding of the plot he has.) However only a short ways into the dwarf's magical adventure, one of the robot invaders threw a ninjabomb of wall-hiding, a new feature introduced this year as part of Turbine's "we don't care" campaign.



    The moral of the story is Turbine hates 600hp rogues as much as it hates 300hp rogues, and so do I. So do I.
    Last edited by andepans; 12-05-2012 at 09:46 AM.

  7. #27
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    486

    Default

    The difference is the tone, unfortunately that being said, the most common advice one can give to a new player level 7 or less would usually be to restart. There are many reasons for this, the most common one being that many of the players come from either a PnP or other game background and don't understand certain DDO concepts, or they incorrectly make certain assumptions. Please do not post your stories of how your 10 drow paladin made it to 20 and does fine in epics etc. Anyone with good play skills and equipment can make it to end game and do decently well in it, there is just so much power available. However, a new player could use every advantage possible, so when someone is going for a 20 paladin, and is currently level 3 with a starting stat of 14 or 16 wisdom, that will really hurt them down the line, when they want to splash rogue for traps, and take that rogue level after 2 fighter levels, that is not optimal for them. When a new cleric starts with 10 con, and 16 dex for their crossbow, there are ways to show them how to still do what they want, but without hurting them in the long run, often the best suggestion is, to restart.

    Once again, please don't post stories of how you took your awesome first time character to level 20. Almost everyone who plays DDO makes it to 20, but for some, they contribute more and have an easier time with it.

    Stormraiser

  8. #28
    Community Member Llewndyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,514

    Default I won't have 400 HP by 18

    Quote Originally Posted by SealedInSong View Post
    I don't support being impolite, but I do think that they were being both elitist and not "helpful" but truthful.

    I wouldn't harass anyone for building a character I find suboptimal, but I do agree that any HP under 400 by level 18 is eventually going to be quite a burden on a party unless, and only unless, they intend to manage aggro reliably in more than two ways and not get hit. That usually means either fascination, arcane CC, or carefully managed ranged attacking.

    Again, people shouldn't be rude to each other--it's just a game. But perhaps instead of digging in your heels or making claims about your hardiness in a level 17 raid when the new endgame is level 25 you should take the person's poorly-framed criticism constructively.

    Get more HP.
    I'm a rogue, and I am not even the most useful kind (thief acrobat). I have 0 problems running stuff elite in Vale (except running with the devils, that hurts), and right now at level 16 I am sitting at 332 hitpoints fully buffed. I don't range (even though I have AA prestige), I don't fascinate, and I don't CC. Ask around anyone who's run with me, managing agro reliably does not mesh well with my play style because I'm not that patient. I don't have subtle backstabbing because it's silly, I don't sneak because they took my sneakhumping away, and to be honest I have only had 3 lives (out of 7) where I had more than 400 HP by 20, much less 18... If your playstyle is to stand in and heal through everything and never move or anything, then yes, the above argument makes sense. There are other ways to play though... there are different ways to win at this game, that's the beauty of it.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

  9. #29
    Community Member psi0nix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    G-Land - Brisbane
    Posts
    442

    Default

    I think the point of such posts as (my <insert class> poorly built toon was viable etc), is to show that you don't need to have the min/max build or even a particulary 'good' build to be able to play, often your first life is the life you learn on and mistakes are made, but it by no means puts you out of the game.

    Advice is good from people who will say something like "If you had X then you would be also have X, and you might find that easier" and things like that.

    Advice that is bad is "LOL what a gimp ! , mate just re-roll do yourself a favour" and statements like that, that's just elitist and annoying.

    *just a note on the whole 'elitist' thing, on the server I mainly play on (G-land) I next to never encounter rude people, not to say it does not happen, but it is very few and far between.
    Last edited by psi0nix; 12-05-2012 at 05:58 PM.

  10. #30
    OurDDO
    Flower Sniffer Extraordinaire
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Evennote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    489

    Default

    My very first toon was an elf rogue, 28-point build, followed one of the "default" paths (I THINK it was thief-acrobat) until a friend of mine talked me through resetting her enhancements to make her a mechanic since traps and locks were the part of rogue-ishness I liked most. Gimped? Oh HELL yes. If I'd asked any elitist snob for advice, I'm sure I'd've gotten the "omglol reroll or gtfo and die you gimp" routine.

    But... I still have her. She's never LRed, GRed, or TRed, so she's still a 28-point build. She's currently lvl 22 and has not failed on a disable or lockpick since (I don't even remember when), and that's WITHOUT using her rogue skill boost - and yes, she runs epic elites. She's around 450 HP geared and ship buffed on our very modest lvl 38 ship. She's run elite Shroud, elite ToD, elite VoD - no problems. She has no trouble getting into groups; in fact, I get requests to bring her.

    What the elitist snobs don't get, and what I'm glad I found out the hard way, is that you learn SO much more by playing a character who's NOT optimal. If you don't have a lot of (insert stat, ability, etc.), you have to figure out a way to compensate. I played my rogue until around lvl 9 before I reset her enhancements and stopped going the "I wish to stay on my path" route at the trainer, so I got a lot of practice in figuring out what she could do, what she couldn't do, and how to work around it. That's the kind of knowledge that helped me solo Rainbow in the Dark on a first-life lvl 13 Drow spellsinger bard (who couldn't even equip the Radiant Arc, as it's min lvl 14).

    I'd much rather run with someone who doesn't have optimal stats/gear but DOES know his/her toon and how to deal with its strengths and weaknesses than run with someone who's got quadruple-digit HP and thinks that means they can do anything.

    tl;dr - It's OK, even GOOD, to learn from your mistakes. Game smarts are more important than player stats.
    ~* Even's DDO blog | Players Helping Players | OurDDO main site | OurDDO RSS feed *~

    Getting lost, lagging behind, and wiping parties since 2010.

    Thelanis:
    Evennote
    | Acanthia | Jalliria | Victaurya
    Discordette | Merenwynne | Chalei | Seregeth
    Rivalel | Thangerie | Winnabette | Chartreusia
    Cannith: Tirae

  11. #31
    The Hatchery vVvAiaynAvVv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,582

    Default

    Elitist if the people responding are belittling the player no matter how bad the build is.

    This of course is a bad thing as it leaves a sour taste of the game with the player.

    There is always the rather large dilemma with if someone can be happy mostly solo'ing....in which case just about any build will work as they can do the content at the level range and setting they want.......or if the player hopes to group up and do difficult content.

    Unfortunately in the latter case you really can't stray to far from what works....and CON/HP is such a large issue.

    There is also the matter of how much more difficult the game becomes as you go higher in level....for a newer inexperienced player anyways.

    There are a lot of people also who see somone make a Drow/Elf and automatically trash the build just for that reason......the 6 starting CON really hurts.....however Drow/Elf are effective races.

    In the end, even if you are "right"...I use that term very loosely LOL.... and someone won't listen to you......it's not proper to put them down....you must just let them learn from their own mistakes.

    Scratt for president!!!!

  12. #32
    Community Member Zerkul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pompei
    Posts
    1,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evennote View Post
    My very first toon was an elf rogue, 28-point build, followed one of the "default" paths (I THINK it was thief-acrobat) until a friend of mine talked me through resetting her enhancements to make her a mechanic since traps and locks were the part of rogue-ishness I liked most. Gimped? Oh HELL yes. If I'd asked any elitist snob for advice, I'm sure I'd've gotten the "omglol reroll or gtfo and die you gimp" routine.

    But... I still have her. She's never LRed, GRed, or TRed, so she's still a 28-point build. She's currently lvl 22 and has not failed on a disable or lockpick since (I don't even remember when), and that's WITHOUT using her rogue skill boost - and yes, she runs epic elites. She's around 450 HP geared and ship buffed on our very modest lvl 38 ship. She's run elite Shroud, elite ToD, elite VoD - no problems. She has no trouble getting into groups; in fact, I get requests to bring her.

    What the elitist snobs don't get, and what I'm glad I found out the hard way, is that you learn SO much more by playing a character who's NOT optimal. If you don't have a lot of (insert stat, ability, etc.), you have to figure out a way to compensate. I played my rogue until around lvl 9 before I reset her enhancements and stopped going the "I wish to stay on my path" route at the trainer, so I got a lot of practice in figuring out what she could do, what she couldn't do, and how to work around it. That's the kind of knowledge that helped me solo Rainbow in the Dark on a first-life lvl 13 Drow spellsinger bard (who couldn't even equip the Radiant Arc, as it's min lvl 14).

    I'd much rather run with someone who doesn't have optimal stats/gear but DOES know his/her toon and how to deal with its strengths and weaknesses than run with someone who's got quadruple-digit HP and thinks that means they can do anything.

    tl;dr - It's OK, even GOOD, to learn from your mistakes. Game smarts are more important than player stats.
    I do not agree with your post.

    I think rogues should be able to do their disable/lockpick thing as a must: no one should fail these checks. Doing only that though means you're piking the quest because you're adding nothing to the fights.

    This is my own view of the things. 28pt character with 450hp in epic elites means really you're piking, you're helping only doing traps and stuff like that, which is not always necessary since a lot of traps / chests can be done without a proper rogue.

    The only thing i partially agree with is that if you play a non-optimal character you're just halfway through improving yourself if you manage to understand what are its own limits. And this is a thing i always appreciate, it's not easy to understand where to start for self-improvement.
    Last edited by Zerkul; 12-06-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    Guild Leader of "GODS - Guardians Of the Dragon Sanctuary" on Cannith --- My Characters: Zavarthak (20 Barbarian Frenzied/Ravager DPS - MAIN), Ryumajin (Warlock,), Leohands (Evocation FVS firstlife), Galvano (Paladin TWF). - If you like or find useful my posts, consider adding reputation.

  13. #33
    Community Member Llewndyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,514

    Default I agree, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by psi0nix View Post
    I think the point of such posts as (my <insert class> poorly built toon was viable etc), is to show that you don't need to have the min/max build or even a particulary 'good' build to be able to play, often your first life is the life you learn on and mistakes are made, but it by no means puts you out of the game.

    Advice is good from people who will say something like "If you had X then you would be also have X, and you might find that easier" and things like that.

    Advice that is bad is "LOL what a gimp ! , mate just re-roll do yourself a favour" and statements like that, that's just elitist and annoying.

    *just a note on the whole 'elitist' thing, on the server I mainly play on (G-land) I next to never encounter rude people, not to say it does not happen, but it is very few and far between.
    First, I refuse to believe you have played on G-Land and never encountered rude people. You must not have grouped with me. We shall rectify that! Second, and oddly enough, my FIRST life was one of the 3 where I had more than 400 HP at 20 (cleric), because I had been told CON is the end all be all of this game. I ended up with 27 Wisdom at end game and had to endure insults for THAT.

    A lot of people come on here and say "I can play the game how I want, and having gimps in my party is not enjoyable for me" line of BS, the problem with that is this: How did you get to the point where you could turn around and snub those not doing as well as you? That's right, someone or a lot of someones helped you along. Not with "Here buddy let me take time out of my day to help you with every facet of your build" or anything like that; when I started I would run with people, become inspired by their builds by how they played in the quest, and pick up SOMETHING from each mission (the one I remember most was a WF bard in Gianthold dominizzling everything, well known on G-Land for being a jerk, though I had no issues with him because I'm a diplomatic sort), and model my builds after that. I am NOT advocating spend your entire limited gaming time coddling newbs, though for 5 of you I would be more than happy to name that's all you will take from this; rather, I am saying if you want a better gaming populace, a gentle push in the right direction, even if it is not super spelled out, is a lot better than a boot in the ass.

    As a complete derail though, I have played assassin, mechanic and now on Llewndyn for the rogue life I am running a thief acrobat, and I really (I know Im gonna get flamed for this) think I like TA more than the other two. It's a little front heavy on the amount of feats/ enhancements you need, but once you hit 12 and take it you are free to gimp as you see fit, I am immune to slippery surfaces, look nice and smell great. Plus every time I use the QS speed boosting skill thingy I think of Napoleon Dynamite and I love that movie. What other reasons do you need to roll one?
    Last edited by Llewndyn; 12-06-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

  14. #34
    OurDDO
    Flower Sniffer Extraordinaire
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Evennote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zerkul View Post
    I do not agree with your post.

    I think rogues should be able to do their disable/lockpick thing as a must: no one should fail these checks. Doing only that though means you're piking the quest because you're adding nothing to the fights.

    This is my own view of the things. 28pt character with 450hp in epic elites means really you're piking, you're helping only doing traps and stuff like that, which is not always necessary since a lot of traps / chests can be done without a proper rogue.
    Actually, she usually does fairly well in the kill count with her trusty repeater. I'm not sure where you got the idea that she does nothing except traps and locks. She also has a high enough UMD to do spot healing and use many wands and scrolls. If you want to call that "piking" because she also does locks and traps... *shrug* To each his own.

    Not all rogues are built/geared for traps and locks, some of which have much higher DCs than others. I wouldn't automatically expect any rogue to be able to handle all traps/locks any more than I'd assume all Favored Souls are party healers. But again, to each his own; I know some people are huge fans of cookie-cutter builds.
    ~* Even's DDO blog | Players Helping Players | OurDDO main site | OurDDO RSS feed *~

    Getting lost, lagging behind, and wiping parties since 2010.

    Thelanis:
    Evennote
    | Acanthia | Jalliria | Victaurya
    Discordette | Merenwynne | Chalei | Seregeth
    Rivalel | Thangerie | Winnabette | Chartreusia
    Cannith: Tirae

  15. #35
    Community Member Masterspud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Well said.
    An old man playing the electronic version of the game he has loved for thirty years.
    Officer, Hands of Chaos
    Proudly receiving negative feed back for having ethics and standing on Principle.
    Rangers Lead the Way

  16. #36
    Community Member Zerkul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pompei
    Posts
    1,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evennote View Post
    Actually, she usually does fairly well in the kill count with her trusty repeater.
    Make a video (not necessarily a solo run) and show me your idea of "fairly good" i'm sure we give different meaning to this concept.

    When i say "fairly good" i usually refer to something like this. When i refer to very good i generally refer to something like this or better.
    Last edited by Zerkul; 12-08-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    Guild Leader of "GODS - Guardians Of the Dragon Sanctuary" on Cannith --- My Characters: Zavarthak (20 Barbarian Frenzied/Ravager DPS - MAIN), Ryumajin (Warlock,), Leohands (Evocation FVS firstlife), Galvano (Paladin TWF). - If you like or find useful my posts, consider adding reputation.

  17. #37
    Hatchery Hero BOgre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middlonowhere, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evennote View Post
    Actually, she usually does fairly well in the kill count with her trusty repeater. I'm not sure where you got the idea that she does nothing except traps and locks. She also has a high enough UMD to do spot healing and use many wands and scrolls. If you want to call that "piking" because she also does locks and traps... *shrug* To each his own.

    Not all rogues are built/geared for traps and locks, some of which have much higher DCs than others. I wouldn't automatically expect any rogue to be able to handle all traps/locks any more than I'd assume all Favored Souls are party healers. But again, to each his own; I know some people are huge fans of cookie-cutter builds.
    +1 Mainly because my seat-of-the pants builds are epic fails, as opposed to yours that which routinely have to be called in to save my sorry arse and carry my stone to the finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

  18. #38
    Community Member Zeklijan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Cyron View Post
    What's the difference between being helpful and being an elitist?

    I had an opportunity today to witness someone asking for help with a build. First life drow cleric, lvl 7. Picked a couple feats that didn't really help the class, and was looking for some advice on what they could have possibly taken instead. It started out fairly cordial, but ended up that the person was told their build basically sucked because they didn't put more into CON than they did, when it would have penalized their build to do so.

    I don't have a problem with constructive criticism. But as someone who has taken a first life drow cleric (with the same stats the player had given, tweaked with tomes and gear) to epic before TRing, and did fine in EN/EH content (just me, my sorc bro, and 2 hirelings), I know that with a couple feat tweaks, the player could have done just fine in any heroic adventure. And seeing people tear apart someone's entire build because it didn't fit their own style of play isn't constructive. Nobody had asked if the player had access to 32pt builds. Their stats as a drow were decent, but without 32 points, the alternate races mentioned would have had a hard time matching it. The ONLY upside would have been a couple more points in CON (so trade out turning or spellpoints for 20 more HP).

    Telling the player why Constitution is important to all builds is great, because surviving is something everyone wants to do. But telling them that if they don't have x points in it then their build is trash, is not. It seems to me that people have gotten into min/maxing and cookie-cutter builds a bit too much and it shows in how they treat people who try things a little differently. And to me, at least, that's not helpful at all.
    Yeah sure, but don't ask me for my opinion if you don't want to hear it either :P I don't call out people for having low HP, generally I don't talk about builds at all even...

    but if they ask me my opinion I won't sugar coat it.

    If your drow ranger has 300 hp at lv 25 and you get 2-shot by the first mob in a BYOH Zerg group I put up (Those group are well shown as a heal self, max speed group meant for players of experience that know the quest in the LFM pannel) I won't complain/bash on this player I'll just dismiss them. that usually leads to some really hard rage and crying but it's not my fault if player X didn't read my LFM and doesn't fit the criteria I put up in the LFM CLEARLY as to what type of group this is meant to be. It still amazes me that people come into that type of groups and wanting me to show them the way.. it's as if they completely ignored all the information I put on the lfm x.x


    Kind of a rant, maybe a little bit far from the subject. but still

    Note that not all my groups are this way, but when I do flag it that way I'll appear as an ******* / Elitist while the whole problem would have been avoided if said player just took 3 seconds to read the info on my LFM pannel. Whose fault is it then?


    Quote Originally Posted by Evennote View Post
    My very first toon was an elf rogue, 28-point build, followed one of the "default" paths (I THINK it was thief-acrobat) until a friend of mine talked me through resetting her enhancements to make her a mechanic since traps and locks were the part of rogue-ishness I liked most. Gimped? Oh HELL yes. If I'd asked any elitist snob for advice, I'm sure I'd've gotten the "omglol reroll or gtfo and die you gimp" routine.

    But... I still have her. She's never LRed, GRed, or TRed, so she's still a 28-point build. She's currently lvl 22 and has not failed on a disable or lockpick since (I don't even remember when), and that's WITHOUT using her rogue skill boost - and yes, she runs epic elites. She's around 450 HP geared and ship buffed on our very modest lvl 38 ship. She's run elite Shroud, elite ToD, elite VoD - no problems. She has no trouble getting into groups; in fact, I get requests to bring her.

    What the elitist snobs don't get, and what I'm glad I found out the hard way, is that you learn SO much more by playing a character who's NOT optimal. If you don't have a lot of (insert stat, ability, etc.), you have to figure out a way to compensate. I played my rogue until around lvl 9 before I reset her enhancements and stopped going the "I wish to stay on my path" route at the trainer, so I got a lot of practice in figuring out what she could do, what she couldn't do, and how to work around it. That's the kind of knowledge that helped me solo Rainbow in the Dark on a first-life lvl 13 Drow spellsinger bard (who couldn't even equip the Radiant Arc, as it's min lvl 14).

    I'd much rather run with someone who doesn't have optimal stats/gear but DOES know his/her toon and how to deal with its strengths and weaknesses than run with someone who's got quadruple-digit HP and thinks that means they can do anything.

    tl;dr - It's OK, even GOOD, to learn from your mistakes. Game smarts are more important than player stats.
    Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I'm sure your rogue can do many different and useful things, but not in epic elite content that I have to disagree.


    450 HP rogue in epic elite. Okay.. yeah but how do you justify that as being good? My box character bard which pikes from A to Z when I run epic elites has 200 hp, but he can bless chests and give +1 loot bonus! So he's good, he's useful in epic elite! ...


    Maybe HP doesn't make a toon, but it hella helps when you get danced by a monster, get Held or tripped. I see alot of 'Sorry, was tripped, couldn't defend myself' and people not realising their defensive skills just aren't up to the task to begin with. Now that's one thing, and I'll glagly tell you what's wrong with your build and/or why you died when you do. But if you're not willing to help yourself and when I tell you what's wrong with your toon you just tell me '**** you and gtfo my toon is perfect' after dying 36 times in this epic elite quest, being dragged trough the whole thing, and I died 0 while having a really good contribution to the quest...

    everyone gets danced, tripped, etc from time to time, but some die and some don't.. why? Some had defensive skills and some didn't. Defensive skills include, HP AC dodge PRR and other % miss chance.

    About your point that you learn more with non optimal toons. You probably forget that I started as a 320 HP wind stanced monk with 10 base Con, the difference? I learned and improved my character since, and now (still in progress but will be done soon) will become a 18fvs/2 monk completionist spec for Epic Elite content, and will do really well in it. That does not mean I don't know how to play a 320 hp monk, use tactics to complete quests, cause I have, but now that I'm stronger I act accordingly and I can do more than before.

    Zerkul points out that 450 HP is a piker in epic elite, that's because you die in two hits, monsters deal more damage than your character can take. It's maths, as soon as you get agro you die, and as often as this happens.

    Note all of this wasn't necessarily targeted directly at you, it does include some of the typical player behavior I had to deal with before in parties I made. But since I never actually grouped with you specificly I'm not in a position to judge your play abilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by andepans View Post
    Here is a helpful dwarf rogue in action: "Hey Cannith," said the dwarf, "come do this fun raid! You are welcome in this group!" The sad, pitiful (but still helpful) little dwarf sat in his LFM with his only friend Ashwyn the artificer for 70 minutes. (ed. note: LFM reads "20-25; EN - New players welcome. Way to quest is cleared.")



    Crestfallen, our heroic dwarf tries to be elitist: "We don't need any frail deadweight losers joining this deadly dwarven duo," he exclaimed, leaping into battle with the robot invaders from space. (ed. note: author skips over all DDO quest dialog, so this is the best understanding of the plot he has.) However only a short ways into the dwarf's magical adventure, one of the robot invaders threw a ninjabomb of wall-hiding, a new feature introduced this year as part of Turbine's "we don't care" campaign.



    The moral of the story is Turbine hates 600hp rogues as much as it hates 300hp rogues, and so do I. So do I.
    Dude.. I could not STOP laughing XD hahahaa!


    Quote Originally Posted by Zerkul View Post
    Make a video (not necessarily a solo run) and show me your idea of "fairly good" i'm sure we give different meaning to this concept.

    When i say "fairly good" i usually refer to something like this. When i refer to very good i generally refer to something like this or better.
    you're a badass Ryu, we love you guys from ordo for all the sweet groups we do
    Last edited by Zeklijan; 12-09-2012 at 02:21 AM.

    People hate me because I speak my mind truely, and I don't intend stopping.

  19. #39
    Community Member cheekysmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    122

    Default

    I think it basically boils down to how much love you got as a kid
    Always Dax

  20. #40
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    203

    Default

    My advice is simple. Don't listen what an elitist tells you, play the game for FUN, and try to enjoy it the most you can. Play with those people who like to play with YOU, and not with your character's stats and hp. It's just a game, nothing less, nothing more. Just be friendly, kind, funny etc. and much more people would like to play with you than any of those elitist guys can dream about. This is why at the end you make a hell of a fun for a lot of quests with your friends till others just post links how they solo the same content.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload