Default Issue with Epic Destinies and Plat costs to respec

Ok, well I have made a point about Turbine charge a premium for an update that included an Epic Destiny that is still broken, but that is not what this post is about. I am finding that while leveling up my epic destinies, I am often forced to undo choices because content does not work as described or at all. For instance, I recently dropped 2 points into stormrage only to find that it does not work with ranged despite the description saying "attacks or spells". So, I am left to either leave it as 2 points wasted or fix it for 50k plat. Either way I feel like I am getting penalized for poor development. While I don't see them fixing Epic Destinies for good anytime soon despite charging a premium for the content, it would be nice if they eliminated the cost for changing destinies until they get their content fixed. I am pretty tired of blowing through a few hundred thousand in plat to constantly have to redo my destinies because of things not working as described.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:
    Kluege Fixer- Baddabing - Majuscule Kluege - Klueje - Klooj Maker - Dundar Kluege - Superkluege

The price has recently been changed because it was costing people nearly 200K in Platinum to respec a full (or near full) destiny so 50K is nothing compared to that. However, I do agree that while things are not working they should really remove the cost, but at end game making cash is insanely easy for the most part especially if you run through the various quests in Eveningstar and sell all the junk to a vendor using a Haggle item to boost up the sale prices (I do this all the time), doing this I have made nearly 1 million platinum in 2 weeks with only a few sales on the Auction House.

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    The price has recently been changed because it was costing people nearly 200K in Platinum to respec a full (or near full) destiny so 50K is nothing compared to that. However, I do agree that while things are not working they should really remove the cost, but at end game making cash is insanely easy for the most part especially if you run through the various quests in Eveningstar and sell all the junk to a vendor using a Haggle item to boost up the sale prices (I do this all the time), doing this I have made nearly 1 million platinum in 2 weeks with only a few sales on the Auction House.

Stoner81.
    No arguemnt to most of what you posted. It still does not make it right to charge any amount of plat to fix something based off of their ineffectiveness to properly program this game. It is downright criminal to charge money for it, which they did, let alone in game plat.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:
    Kluege Fixer- Baddabing - Majuscule Kluege - Klueje - Klooj Maker - Dundar Kluege - Superkluege

/signed, we shouldn't pay for broken mechanics anymore than we already do. The idea of people abusing rerespecs is much less damaging than having to waste plat to get out of a broken spec.

This hurts inexperienced gamers much more than the experienced and it's not an experience we want newer players to feel.
    Real life is a worse grind than any MMO.
    Sarlona:
    Tirisha 25 FVS, Aierian 25 MNK, Girltank 18 FTR/ 2PALLY/5 EPIC, Seidra 25 SORC, Wikka 20 WIZ, Kylexi 20 PALLY, Stephony 20 Bard

Community Member

seeing as you cant expect a fix any time soon you can help limit your exposure to buggy destinies by checking them out on the wiki first. http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Destinies

while it is not a perfect resource is is more often than not up to date with the current state of things such as bugged destinies

not the perfect solution you are looking for i know, but it should help you make more informed choices and reduce the chance you will need to pay for a respec due to bugs.

hope it helps!
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

though I agree with paying for respec on something that isn't working. Attack is melee, ranged is ranged. You should know this by now. Also I don't see how it costs you 50k unless you have already reset your tree several times. 1k per rank is the new standard period. I reset my maxed tree and it only cost me 20k.

Since I have spent over 1million in tree resets on my toons, I wouldn't get too upset over something as trivial as 50k.

I do wish though that you could just change one enhancement rather than reset the whole tree.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by zeichen-thest View Post
    Attack is melee, ranged is ranged. You should know this by now.
    May I ask why it is that you feel anyone should know this by now? Especially when some ED's specifically indicate 'melee attack' instead of just 'attack'? For that matter, Fury of the Wild adrenalines used to work on ranged attacks, and only included 'attack' in the description. Frankly, I find it disturbing that this laxness in writing up proper descriptions has become something that we 'should know', as opposed to something that would take...oh...fifteen seconds to fix in the written description, I'm sure.

To the OP: Yes, so many destinies are broken/not working as indicated, and it is exceptionally awkward to try to wade through forums trying to find out whether something is broken or no. Until things are fixed, may I suggest posting your proposed path through any specific ED as well as what you intend to use it for. I'm sure the forum community would be more than willing to help you avoid these costly mistakes, especially since you're a newer player.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

Attack is melee, ranged is ranged.
    I have been looking for other epic destiny abilities that list just attack to see if your statement is true, but cannot seem to find one. Which other ED abilities are you referring to when making this statement? I see plenty of ones that say Melee Attack or Ranged Attack, Two Weapon Attack and so forth. But none others that say just attack. Maybe I am missing something. Or, maybe it is not as clear cut as you seem to think?
    Last edited by barecm; 11-26-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:

Quote Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
    I'm sure the forum community would be more than willing to help you avoid these costly mistakes, especially since you're a newer player.
    Ummm... my join date is like 4 years before you... how am I a newer player? Plus, I don't think having to research everything because Turbine can't get their act together and produce a working system, one they charged a heavy premium for, is the answer. In all honesty, they should be giving those who paid for this broken system extra bonuses to try to make up for it, not charge in game plat to respec every time we choose something based off an inaccurate description or broken mechanic.
    Sarlona Server Mythical:

Community Member

though I agree with paying for respec on something that isn't working. Attack is melee, ranged is ranged. You should know this by now. Also I don't see how it costs you 50k unless you have already reset your tree several times. 1k per rank is the new standard period. I reset my maxed tree and it only cost me 20k.

Since I have spent over 1million in tree resets on my toons, I wouldn't get too upset over something as trivial as 50k.

I do wish though that you could just change one enhancement rather than reset the whole tree.
    1k per point spent in the destiny is SUPPOSED TO BE the "new standard", but it is not. I have looked at resetting various destinies on my monk just to see what the plat cost is and I can tell you it DOES NOT compute to 1k per point. Unyielding Sentinel has 12 points spent, but would only cost 7k to reset. Exalted Angel has 12 points spent and costs 8k to reset.

So, it would seem that rather than actually putting the correct code into place to make it 1k per point, they have rolled back the changes that made the destinies insanely expensive to reset and left the cost as a platinum cost.

Community Member

/signed

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisha View Post
    The idea of people abusing rerespecs is much less damaging than having to waste plat to get out of a broken spec.
    Also curious that how is respecing EDs an abuse?

Quote Originally Posted by barecm View Post
    No argument to most of what you posted. It still does not make it right to charge any amount of plat to fix something based off of their ineffectiveness to properly program this game. It is downright criminal to charge money for it, which they did, let alone in game plat.
    The bit in bold I most certainly agree with! With being able to spend actual cash on Looms Of Destiny to respec from the store it would certainly be better if the ED's were all working properly!

My main point is that at least now it is a heck of a lot cheaper than what it was previously which is at least a step in the right direction

Stoner81.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    My main point is that at least now it is a heck of a lot cheaper than what it was previously which is at least a step in the right direction

Stoner81.
    Trouble with 'a step in the right direction' is that often that is all one gets - just that one step and no further. Sadly, the issue is deemed 'fixed' and everyone should 'move on'.

AJ

broken mech wise I can see. But 50k is pennies. I sell off vender trash after an epic or 2 for around 25 to 30 grand.

If your trying to scrape 50 grand together very first character created on that server or not at that lv, your doing something real wrong.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by barecm View Post
    Ummm... my join date is like 4 years before you... how am I a newer player? Plus, I don't think having to research everything because Turbine can't get their act together and produce a working system, one they charged a heavy premium for, is the answer. In all honesty, they should be giving those who paid for this broken system extra bonuses to try to make up for it, not charge in game plat to respec every time we choose something based off an inaccurate description or broken mechanic.
    My bad. I meant new to EDs, or...something. Regardless, most of the bugs have been identified, and if you ask a question on forums somebody generally has the answer.

Would I prefer it if all the bugs were to be fixed? Absolutely. Do I expect it will happen in the next two months? No. Nor do I expect the plat cost to go down, given that it's already gone down once. So really, how you proceed is entirely up to you, though I posit that asking on forums is likely to cause you the least amount of annoyance of the currently available and viable options.
    Cannith, Slicing Blow. Vilenna (18/1/1 Clonkard), Marvala (20 monk), Phrenia (19/1 rogue/fighter), Malchara (12/6/2 AA), Denaria (18/2 ...wonk?)

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisha View Post
    /signed, we shouldn't pay for broken mechanics anymore than we already do. The idea of people abusing rerespecs is much less damaging than having to waste plat to get out of a broken spec.

This hurts inexperienced gamers much more than the experienced and it's not an experience we want newer players to feel.
    Either Turbine makes a team update descriptions to accurately reflect the mechanics implemented (never been the case nor ever will it be the case given their track record) or they set the cost at zero with a timer like they did with enhancements of a capped character.

Not too difficult in my opinion. There's no reason to penalize people for wanting to revitalize their build--in fact, it's in their best interests to let people freshen up their game (and likely spend TP in the process of renewing their interest in their character).
    Character Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by auntjobiska View Post
    Trouble with 'a step in the right direction' is that often that is all one gets - just that one step and no further. Sadly, the issue is deemed 'fixed' and everyone should 'move on'.

AJ
    Very true but it's better than nothing at all

Stoner81.