Community Member

Default US spectacularly disappointing.

So I just got Unyielding Sentinel for my level 20 (now 21) Favored Soul. I thought it was a cool choice for my 2 weapon battling Favored Soul. But so far, I'm disappointed.

The skills, despite them saying otherwise, are not regenerating. Though I assume this is a bug.

My biggest disappointment is the way that Turn Undead and Smite Evil are implemented. Basically since I didn't start off as a paladin, and these skills grant the actual feats, and not a new ability, the damage done at level 20 is pitiful. It isn't worth it. The damage done on a smite is (7+ (3*Paladin Level)). Since the paladin level is low in a non-paladin picking Unyielding Sentinel, the extra damage on a smite is laughable.

However if a level 20 Paladin were to pick Exalted Angel, that Paladin would have access to a smite ability that is keyed off of total level, and not Favored Soul level.

So here is my suggestion. At the very least, the "Effective Level" for Smiting and Turning needs to be Total Level / 2. To bring it into line with Exalted Angel, it should be just Total Level. This could be accomplished through new abilities, or a modification of the Smite and Turning feats themselves.

Otherwise there is no benefit for me picking Unyielding Sentinel over Exalted Angel for my Favored Soul, even if my FS is a dual wielder.
    Last edited by Danneskjold184; 11-22-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Community Member

First off, there isn't much in US that really benefits a dual wielder in the first place, the ED is centered mostly around S&B style tanks and paladins. Second, if you don't have the turn undead and smite feats from heroic levels, then you are better off using the special attacks within the ED that function off of those abilities, rather than the actual abilities themselves. Third, the abilities regenerating did work before the most recent update, so that was at least functional at one point, the character I have with this destiny unlocked is currently lvl 9 again, so I can't test it now. Remember, this destiny is designed around the paladin primarily, and all S&B tanks after that, not a dual-wielding FVS. Not all destinies are going to be spectacular for all builds, nor should they be. If they were, they would all be far to generic and boring.

Community Member pseudomasochist's Avatar

Unyielding Sentinel is a decent combination of offense and defense for melee FvS that are good aligned and certainly more appealing than Exalted Angel IMO. It does take a while to get going though as the upgraded stances start at level 3 and Purify/Anoint Weapon are level 4 and 5 abilities. The Holy and Pure Good damage both stack with similar effects on melee weapons.

Steadfast is particularly useful for melee healers because it allows you to stand with the other beaters against raid bosses like Lailat, Velah, and the CAD without worrying about being knocked over and the party not getting healed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

The granted feats from certain destinies seem designed more to be there to power subsequent abilities than for the rather poor power level of the base ability itself... turn undead isnt worth much on a non-divine but a bunch of 10d10 light damage attacks can be rather handy. Also, my monk took healing hands (thus granting lay on hands) but it was virtually worthless until i got Light The Dark, at which point i was then able to have 4 (which recharged over time) rather powerful heals (about 350hp a pop on myself iirc) which incidentally worked in an AoE On my paladin & my deep splashed favoured soul/fighter, its boosted by spellpower & (apparantly) empower healing too sufficiently to let me act as an effective backup party healer.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    The granted feats from certain destinies seem designed more to be there to power subsequent abilities than for the rather poor power level of the base ability itself... turn undead isnt worth much on a non-divine but a bunch of 10d10 light damage attacks can be rather handy. Also, my monk took healing hands (thus granting lay on hands) but it was virtually worthless until i got Light The Dark, at which point i was then able to have 4 (which recharged over time) rather powerful heals (about 350hp a pop on myself iirc) which incidentally worked in an AoE On my paladin & my deep splashed favoured soul/fighter, its boosted by spellpower & (apparantly) empower healing too sufficiently to let me act as an effective backup party healer.
    My FVS can crank out Heals and Group Heals, so I didn't pick Unyielding Sentinel for the Lay on Hands. I picked it for the Smiting ability, and for Confront any Foe ability (10d10 light damage).

The Confront Ability is nice, but the Smite is just pitiful. 10 Extra damage at level 21 is barely noticeable. If it wasn't for the spray of white on a successful hit, I wouldn't even know if the smite connected.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default Us

US is intended to be and IS the S&B ED. The "smiting" on US is not so hot even on my Paladins (got rid of them quickly, the points were better spent elsewhere), however the enhanced tanking and healing are very nice and clearly is the choice for tanks.

Currently the "Lord of Blades" FVS build is focused on doing light damage with the Archon and Divine Pubushment. He uses the US and just goes S&B with around 100ish AC and 65+ish PRR. He is capable of solo'ing some EE quests with this method. His AC, PRR, Healing and tanking (Shield Mastery, Improved SM, and US ED), allow him to stand in the fray and watch his light damage do crits from 1k to 3k+ damage on mobs and bosses while he Turtles up. So, US can be a good ED for a FVS S&B, just NOT to a TWF FVS.

I think you will find the Dreadnaught ED and the added maelee DPS that it brings pretty significant for your build. Let me know when you get there, and what you think.
    Last edited by Battlehawke; 11-23-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Community Member

After playing it a bit more, I've discovered two things.

1.) The Smite ability does NOT increase in damage as my toon increased in both Epic Levels and Epic Destiny tiers. It is a spectacular waste of ability, which I'll switch out as soon as my server is un-crashed. I have to assume that it is bugged in that it doesn't increase at all. It's just stupid to grant the feat entirely, and not have some way of increasing the useable level.

2.) The Confront Ability is not a targeted ability, but an AOE ability. Anyone directly in front of you gets hit 3 times with 2 weapon fighting. Anyone to the right gets hit twice. Anyone to the left gets hit once. It can hit multiple targets at the same time, AND it has enough range to hit targets behind targets in immediate melee range. Yay!

we must be looking at different destinies here.

I like :

being immune to knockdown
    having holy + pure good on my weapon
    having +40% fortification
    getting a 20% chance at 10d6 light damage against evil enemies.
    +25 positive spell power
    +50hp
    +50hp from con boosts

And i get them all at once, maybe it's just more of a melee healer destiny, and not aimed at you?
    Last edited by fTdOmen; 11-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    we must be looking at different destinies here.

I like :

being immune to knockdown
    having holy + pure good on my weapon
    having +40% fortification
    getting a 20% chance at 10d6 light damage against evil enemies.
    +25 positive spell power
    +50hp
    +50hp from con boosts

And i get them all at once, maybe it's just more of a melee healer destiny, and not aimed at you?
    Those are nice, but I picked Unyielding Sentinel in order to increase my Battle FVS's single strike ability. I'm not too big of a role-player, however I loved the idea of turning my Holy Battle Healer into a Holy Battler of Evil. And then I find out that while one of the strikes is nice, the one I chased to get here isn't worth the 2+ points to get it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danneskjold184 View Post
    So I just got Unyielding Sentinel for my level 20 (now 21) Favored Soul. I thought it was a cool choice for my 2 weapon battling Favored Soul. But so far, I'm disappointed.

The skills, despite them saying otherwise, are not regenerating. Though I assume this is a bug.

My biggest disappointment is the way that Turn Undead and Smite Evil are implemented. Basically since I didn't start off as a paladin, and these skills grant the actual feats, and not a new ability, the damage done at level 20 is pitiful. It isn't worth it. The damage done on a smite is (7+ (3*Paladin Level)). Since the paladin level is low in a non-paladin picking Unyielding Sentinel, the extra damage on a smite is laughable.

However if a level 20 Paladin were to pick Exalted Angel, that Paladin would have access to a smite ability that is keyed off of total level, and not Favored Soul level.

So here is my suggestion. At the very least, the "Effective Level" for Smiting and Turning needs to be Total Level / 2. To bring it into line with Exalted Angel, it should be just Total Level. This could be accomplished through new abilities, or a modification of the Smite and Turning feats themselves.

Otherwise there is no benefit for me picking Unyielding Sentinel over Exalted Angel for my Favored Soul, even if my FS is a dual wielder.
    You are in Unyielding Sentinel for all the wrong reasons. The skills not regenerating is a bug, they do regenerate on Paladins with feats granted from Paladin levels and I assume Turbine will/has fixed this. Your smite damage calculation is wrong, and Paladin levels are irrelevant when granted by the Epic Destiny very much like how Arcane Archer is granted to non-rangers so that is a non-issue as well. Is your FS low on charisma, because if so then low damage would make sense. In fact all when an ED grants something heroic levels are irrelevant for it, as an incentive for people to do more Epic Destinies and skip past hated ones by buying a key of destiny, thus creating more profit for Turbine.

US is terrible.

Actually its good for one thing, you can run enorm by holding down the left mouse button and walking forward. So long as you don't bump into a wall you don't have to look at the computer monitor.

Community Member

S&B fighter here and US is my 'go to' ED for tanking in raids - great AC/PRR/hps, limited knockdown (still happens, even with Steadfast), and buckets of self healing (slotting with ruby of devotion +138, topaz of power +250, and diamond of heal +11) through Renewal and Light the Dark (4 shots recharging). Also have Cocoon. DPS is not flash, but it is ok. Survivability is real good.

But yeah, have a look at LD and then have some real fun!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Not sure why you rezzed this old thread, but I would say US is fine for what it's intended for: tanking and high survivability, with a couple of healing goodies tossed in. I'm a little annoyed the TU stuff got moved to EA, but getting Renewal in US is more than a fair trade, IMHO. Wish they moved the heal amp into US too, though. If it's melee DPS you're after, Divine Crusader or LD is better for a S&B build.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 05-06-2014 at 11:17 AM.