Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Newb question: Axe wielding Cleric

I am a member of the ‘lost tribe.’ That is, D&D paper players who got older and had kids and got too busy to meet on a regular basis to play. I am so delighted to find that there is an MMO based on the same rules that I used to know and love as a kid; and that kept me sane growing up in a remote mining town with nothing to do. Anyway, I vaguely remember that there was some optional rule in Advanced D&D that would allow a dwarven cleric to wield an axe if he worshipped a certain deity. Can anybody tell me if there is – in DDO – any way to play a dwarven AXE WIELDING cleric?

The easiest way to do this is to be a Dwarf Cleric since Dwarfs get the feat for Dwarven Axe for free, on any other race you have to use a feat slot to pick it up.

Stoner81.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

There are five divine domains you can choose in DDO; unfortunately, none of them is dwarf-specific. Anybody can equip any weapon type in the game; but I presume you mean, "Can I use a dwarven axe w/out non-proficiency penalty?" On a dwarf you have four options:

• Splash a martial class which gets d.axes (and all martial weapons) free: i.e., ftr, barb, pally, rgr. Ftr is the usual suggestion.
    • Splash a class capable of casting Master's Touch (i.e., arty, bard, wiz, sorc) and use that spell to grant prof.; dwarves count d.axes as martial weapons, but all other races treat them as exotic, so this only works for dwarves. Wiz would be my pick, for the extra feat as well, although bard or arty to gain UMD as well is an option.
    • Splash rogue for the Use Magic Device (UMD) skill and max it out; eventually you'll be able to UMD Master's Touch scrolls to achieve the same effect as #2, but that probably won't be for several levels.
    • On a pure cleric, you could use a feat to take dwarven axe prof; this would be my last choice, though.

However, before you get too carried away, you should decide what you want to achieve by using a d.axe (and shield, I presume). If it's DPS, a greataxe is better (although with the Shield Mastery feats, a d.axe+shield can come within spitting distance).

AFAIK, you'd have to splash fighter on a dwarf to get the dwarven axe proficiency for free (although 18/2 cleric/fighter is a decent build).
    Arrael - Tempest/Kensai; Alyesia - Exploiter Build; Porksoda - WF FvS; Kaealla - Paladin; Arodeth - Envoker FvS

Copied from the Wiki.. As far as I can tell this states that you ONLY need to be a Dwarf to be prof with Dwarven Axes..

Racial Traits

Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven axe as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.

So there should not be any problems at all with having a Dwarven Cleric using Dwarven axes.. course the BAB wont be all that great on a Cleric so splashing in Fighter would probably still be beneficial.
    Officer of the Kobold Workers' Union

Community Member phroggiepuddles's Avatar

The classic PNP system where a Cleric can only wield a blunt weapon (usually a mace) doesn't exist anymore. For a while they changed it so that was the default but depending on your diety you may be able to wield other weapons - now it's anything goes. So any type of Cleric can wield standard melee weapons from the get go, longsword, axe and two-handed weapons like greatsword or greataxe etc

The Dwarven War Axe is an "Exotic Weapon" (a standard axe is 1D8 while these are 1D10) which you normally need to spend a Feat on to use, but a Dwarf can use them for free. So if you roll up a Dwarf Cleric then you can use those nice 1-handed hard-hitting axes straight away

Quote Originally Posted by BlkDrgn28 View Post
    Copied from the Wiki.. As far as I can tell this states that you ONLY need to be a Dwarf to be prof with Dwarven Axes..

Racial Traits

Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven axe as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.

So there should not be any problems at all with having a Dwarven Cleric using Dwarven axes.. course the BAB wont be all that great on a Cleric so splashing in Fighter would probably still be beneficial.
    Correct, D. Axes are a martial weapons (for dwarfs), however clerics don't receive martial weapons and therefore don't received D. Axes.

Clerics also get 2/3 bab and can just use the Divine Power spell to get full BAB
    Last edited by LordPiglet; 11-21-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Arrael - Tempest/Kensai; Alyesia - Exploiter Build; Porksoda - WF FvS; Kaealla - Paladin; Arodeth - Envoker FvS

Quote Originally Posted by LordPiglet View Post
    Correct, D. Axes are a martial weapons (for dwarfs), however clerics don't receive martial weapons and therefore don't received D. Axes.
    Yup forgot to look that part up.. my bad.. which is also kinda why I added in the part about the BAB and splashing in fighter that way you would have the Martial weapon feat..
    Officer of the Kobold Workers' Union

The reason to splash fighter (and I would go 2 myself) is for the 2 feats, fighter toughness I and fighter strength I.

Community Member OverlordOfRats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlkDrgn28 View Post

Racial Traits

Correct except only fighters, barbarians, rangers, and paladins are granted all "martial weapons" feats free. The other classes may get individual martial weapons granted or have to use a feat to pick a specific weapon.

Edit:OK, I was slow to the party

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    … but I presume you mean, "Can I use a dwarven axe w/out non-proficiency penalty?"…
    Yes, this – I believe – I what I mean. I thought Clerics had a restriction ‘back in the day’ that they could only use bludgeoning weapons.

…On a pure cleric, you could use a feat to take dwarven axe prof; this would be my last choice, though.
    My issue is that I have a dwarven cleric. At the moment he has a minus 4 to hit because he is not proficient in axe. I thought that maybe I could use a ‘divine path’ to get the proficiency, but I can’t find such a thing. How do I get rid of the -4? Do I just wait for the feat?

However, before you get too carried away, you should decide what you want to achieve…
    What I want to achieve is ‘coolness!’ Comon’ ‘a dwarf with an axe!’ Dwarves either use hammers or axes. They don’t prance around with swords

Quote Originally Posted by togbabe View Post
    Yes, this – I believe – I what I mean. I thought Clerics had a restriction ‘back in the day’ that they could only use bludgeoning weapons.

My issue is that I have a dwarven cleric. At the moment he has a minus 4 to hit because he is not proficient in axe. I thought that maybe I could use a ‘divine path’ to get the proficiency, but I can’t find such a thing. How do I get rid of the -4? Do I just wait for the feat?

What I want to achieve is ‘coolness!’ Comon’ ‘a dwarf with an axe!’ Dwarves either use hammers or axes. They don’t prance around with swords
    Either don't worry about the -4 unless you're having problems hitting, or splash 1 -3 levels of fighter.

You can also splash 2 monk and 1 fighter if you want to go with some sort of clonk, however they normally use wraps as you can't be centered and use axes.

I would go atleast 17 cleric (for mass heal). 18 is mainly for future proofing if they ever add a tier 3 pre's for clerics.
    Last edited by LordPiglet; 11-21-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordPiglet View Post
    …or splash 1 -3 levels of fighter.
    Guys, what is ‘splashing?’

It's just -4 to hit if you're not proficient, use the axe, and just make sure to keep your divine favor and divine power up.

"splashing" is when you are mixing classes, like 'Fighter' & 'Cleric' together, typically a "Splash" means to add a small amount of levels (IE: only adding 1 - 3 levels), to the overall progress, IE: You plan to make it to 20th, so a Splash would be 2 Fighter/18 Cleric.

a "Split" is when the classes are close to each other in levels, like if you took 8 fighter levels and 12 cleric levels, it would be called a "Split" not a "splash"

Splashing is multiclassing. Instead of taking 20 levels of cleric you would take 18 levels of cleric and 2 of fighter (for example).

Community Member

Guys, what is ‘splashing?’
    And depending on how long you've been away this explanation may be needed (since you seemed to be talking about the 2nd Ed AD&D): basically (and I'm simplifying here) in the Third Edition of D&D whenever a character gains a level they can take that level in any class and gain abilities specific to that class, effectively splitting up your total "character levels" between many different "class levels" in whatever proportions you want. In DDO you can split up your twenty base levels between up to three different classes as you level up, and a "splash" is having a small number of levels in a particular class out of the total of twenty, for example a 18/2 split between Cleric and Fighter.

Not sure what level you are, or what your focus is for your cleric (melee with good healing, or caster with good healing), but in either case, if you want axe proficiency, take fighter your next level. Then find the best greataxe you can, cast "Divine Power", and go to town (I personally hate the Sword-and-board animation, so I stick with greataxes, but I believe Daxes are treated as two-handed weapons as far as damage calculations are concerned)

And I won't go into the whole "battlecleric" vs. "healbot" debate here. Clerics need something to do when they're not healing (meaning: 80% of the time spent in a quest ) - swing a weapon or cast a spell, but don't just sit there doing nothing. It's boring as h*ll and makes the quest take longer

*Just felt like stirring the pot a little - forums have been kind of boring the past week*
    Last edited by PNellesen; 11-21-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

My dwarven battle cleric is about to TR to his fifth life (three of those lives as a battle cleric), and I have found that taking the Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Dwarven Waraxe feat at third level works out quite well.

I have also done a life as a battle cleric and spent a feat on greataxe proficiency. It works out quite well, too.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    "splashing" is when you are mixing classes, like 'Fighter' & 'Cleric' together…
    O.K., now I’m gettin’ it. I knew from my D&D paper days what multiclassing was :-). O.K, so in the game, if I’m already a cleric, I would just go to see a ‘fighter trainer?’ Is that right?

My plan – then – would be to go up in cleric till I’ve got a reasonably effective heal spell; and then ‘splash’ up to about level 3 fighter; then back to go onward in cleric? What do you think?

O.K., now I’m gettin’ it. I knew from my D&D paper days what multiclassing was :-). O.K, so in the game, if I’m already a cleric, I would just go to see a ‘fighter trainer?’ Is that right?

My plan – then – would be to go up in cleric till I’ve got a reasonably effective heal spell; and then ‘splash’ up to about level 3 fighter; then back to go onward in cleric? What do you think?
    If i was going for a meele cleric - i would go dwarf (u got that covered) take a fighter level early on - 2/3 ish

then wait till i needed an extra feat and i have the heal spell (so around 12ish)

jus something to think about.

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast