Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default So...third life leveling with no quest grinding IS possible.

Several people have told me it's not. Several people have said on the forums that it's impossible to top out without grinding big xp quests as support for the argument that quest repetition should be separate between epic and heroic (I don't care, separate them, current system, both work fine but own up to it's a choice to grind out quests in heroic, not a need!). So I decided to see.

With the exception of four quests that I did repeats on (Tempest spine because it's just FUN, TOR grinding out scales, Running with Devils to help a guildie, and Mindsunder trying to get a few goodies) I leveled Tortoise to 20 on an elite once and done path. Maintained an elite streak til 19, then dropped to hard for quests no one wanted to run and I couldn't do elite on my own. The only grinding I allowed myself was slayers, where the quest pickings were slim. I forgot some quests entirely along the way, and skipped the Titan raid pack entirely (I'm add, I'm surprised I didn't skip more!). I did no level banking, leveled up as soon as I hit enough xp and got out of the party so I didn't harm anyone else if leveling was a problem.

It's slower than people who grind the big xp quests, sure. But it IS possible. I'm not bragging, or suggesting others should do it my way, I'm just saying it's possible, and it was a lot more fun to me than grinding the same quests over and over. I got a wide variety of loot and a huge block of favor, somewhere around 3800 despite the ones I missed and will have to do just for favor. I didn't even get to Amrath before I hit 20. This post is for all the people who told me I don' t know what I'm talking about when I said it could be done, and that I needed to shut up telling people otherwise. You were wrong, and I will continue to not shut up. : ) I don't get mad, I prove my point.

Benefits: Aside from favor and fun, I haven't done any other than the four I listed more than once, So I have PLENTY of quests to grind for epic destiny favor. It is a choice to level faster by grinding wizking, delera's, shadow crypt, etc. etc., not a necessity. I had a blast, and will continue to not sweat quest grinding. So many people on my server that I met along the way were curious if it could be done, I thought I'd share the level plan in general instead of Sarlona.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Yes.. I've been doing it for a few lives now

It's fun, and you don't play the same thing over and over again - less repetition.

Once on elite, and it's done.

It's a matter of choice really. I'd rather do 10 shadow crypts then do restless isles :P

On a more serious note, it's nice to know it can be done.

Also, on the interest of investigative curiosity, did you have any of these while running: XP potions / greater tome / XP boost?
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForte View Post
    It's a matter of choice really. I'd rather do 10 shadow crypts then do restless isles :P
    Amen to that.

Community Member

When i do mine, I can skip quests I don't like, I don't HAVE to do them all.. think last time I got to 20 without touching amaranth again...

But with me, I have greater tome and bravery bonus... and the very occasional free exp potion that they give us in the ddo store...

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForte View Post

On a more serious note, it's nice to know it can be done.

Also, on the interest of investigative curiosity, did you have any of these while running: XP potions / greater tome / XP boost?
    Sorry, I forgot about those. I don't use xp potions, but I do have the lesser xp tomes on all my toons from the pro-order, expect Sabretooth who has the greater. And the obvious voice of the master, and for the last 7 levels a 5% boat shrine vs. the 4% of the first 13 levels. And I missed most of the xp bonus periods sadly or it would have been a bit faster. I also only did one challenge in there, so that didn't affect it much, but could have sped up the last level, but now I have them to for epic xp I suppose.

(Although I did miss restless isles entirely as noted, I forgot about it).
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    When i do mine, I can skip quests I don't like, I don't HAVE to do them all.. think last time I got to 20 without touching amaranth again...

But with me, I have greater tome and bravery bonus... and the very occasional free exp potion that they give us in the ddo store...
    My free pots from the store are all sitting in the bank, I keep forgetting I have them til it's time to clear out for the next tr. Doh. I'm doofus sometimes.

I don't mind repeating the high xp quests. Repetition doesn't bother me if I get capped faster.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    My free pots from the store are all sitting in the bank, I keep forgetting I have them til it's time to clear out for the next tr. Doh. I'm doofus sometimes.
    If trixies didnt very handily remind us about ddo store freebies in the guild motd, i'd keep missing the freebies

i do like to use them though.. have 2 right now, ready to go!

Community Member

gratz Trinity

Thought there would be enough xp, but good to know.
    That said i even enjoy grinding sometimes, especially with a few chosen people.
    Also i think leaving some quests untouched can be nice, like Carnival at low the xp sucks and the first time bonus on epic is yummi
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Community Member

We actually pulled this off on Cannith like 8 months ago. We ran every quest one time on elite. Grabbed all the explorers, and did SOME slayers. Not many. We threw in challenges here and there but not often. We all cruised to 20 with ease. We walked away with like 3,400 favor or so.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    gratz Trinity

Thought there would be enough xp, but good to know.
    That said i even enjoy grinding sometimes, especially with a few chosen people.
    Also i think leaving some quests untouched can be nice, like Carnival at low the xp sucks and the first time bonus on epic is yummi
    Hehe...thank you. I'm not trying to stop people from grinding, I Just got really annoyed at being treated like I was stupid when I'd done the math and knew better. And for those who don't enjoy grinding (like me on most quests) I wanted them to know there are options. If you enjoy grinding I wish you good groups!

I thought carnival is really good xp with the bb at low levels, more than most quests at that level. And it's my favorite, I really love that chain.

I've been trying to do this for my 4th life and ran into problems despite having a greater tome of learning, elite streak and bravery bonus. But that's my own fault for not having all of the adventure packs unlocked and being unwilling to run the chains that have epic versions on non-epic difficulty. xP

I need to buy more adventure packs when they go on sale next, my TP isn't doing me much good while I'm hoarding it "just in case".

Good to know it can be done though, nice job. :3

Community Member

Im pretty sure MrCow has always been able to do this. Whether the rest of us are able to run every dungeon on Elite at the appropriate level is another question.

Certainly it is far easier to run the high XP/min dungeons even just on E/H/N simply to reduce the number of low XP/min dungeons you would run without this format.

My group has done the minimal repeat option a few times and it is incredibly slow. Literally takes us months. We are currently doing the ransack the high XP/min dungeons method and after a week are sitting on around 1 million XP and are level 10. This is playing a couple of hours a night, and we still did things like running back to the trap room in Xorian Cipher to try for the Planar Girds.

We will get another big spike soon when we run Crypt and Von3 a number of times. Then it is a bit of Lordsmarch, then off to Desert Sands, then Gianthold, then Vale and we will have a heap of XP to gather.

A part of the reason behind the repeated running is not just because we are doing the high XP/min dungeons over and over. Its because we dont lose 5 minutes between each dungeon because someone needs to go to their bank, someone needs to go to an inn, someone has to craft something, someone needs more ship buffs, etc. These small distractions over a run to level 20 can amount to literally a week worth of 2 hours per night playing time.

Is it possible after doing that to then cap your epic xp (3 million) without running any quest more than twice? If not, I'd skip the epic packs entirely for the heroic levels, leaving the bravery bonus for epic. (Carnival, Sentinels, Fens, VON, Desert, Secrets)

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

I've done "once and done" on two lives - both of which were back when challenges also gave real xp, which I used to pick up the slack.

I don't think I could do it now; slayers are far more boring to me than grinding a quest. Most of the grind quests are actually pretty fun (though I concede by rep 12, I feel the pinch).

Raiyum, Shadow Crypt, Von 3, Blockade Buster, Missing, Sane Asylum, ETK and Monastery all have swagger.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasparion View Post
    Im pretty sure MrCow has always been able to do this. Whether the rest of us are able to run every dungeon on Elite at the appropriate level is another question.

Certainly it is far easier to run the high XP/min dungeons even just on E/H/N simply to reduce the number of low XP/min dungeons you would run without this format.

My group has done the minimal repeat option a few times and it is incredibly slow. Literally takes us months. We are currently doing the ransack the high XP/min dungeons method and after a week are sitting on around 1 million XP and are level 10. This is playing a couple of hours a night, and we still did things like running back to the trap room in Xorian Cipher to try for the Planar Girds.

We will get another big spike soon when we run Crypt and Von3 a number of times. Then it is a bit of Lordsmarch, then off to Desert Sands, then Gianthold, then Vale and we will have a heap of XP to gather.

A part of the reason behind the repeated running is not just because we are doing the high XP/min dungeons over and over. Its because we dont lose 5 minutes between each dungeon because someone needs to go to their bank, someone needs to go to an inn, someone has to craft something, someone needs more ship buffs, etc. These small distractions over a run to level 20 can amount to literally a week worth of 2 hours per night playing time.
    for me its different. i solo most of the way to 16, running each quest once on elite, staying 2 levels above base quest level and trying to maximize my xp. if i need more xp, i go back on hard than norm. if ive already done all difficulties and all quests i am able to solo (some i skip because they require multiple players or its reall a pain to do) than i do some s/r/e until i level, but thats usually mid levels and ive never gone over 750 kills in any explorer while leveling.

i dont actually start farming xp until 15 on up to 18. i make it a point though to get Argo favor and to flag for Litany. at 18 im running level 16-20 quests, so theres a wide variety of quests i can run. making it to 20 from 18 is a piece of cake. the whole time, im still running pretty much every quest at least once on elite and end up with over 3000 favor by the time i hit 20.

i can do all this without farming a lot of quests, joining mostly pugs, soloing and maximizing my xp, make it to 20 in 3-4 weeks.

Community Member

I think the problem with my group is, there are plenty of dungeons we simply cant do on Elite, so at some point we drop that for Hard - and it becomes VERY hard to get to 20 just running Hard dungeons once each.

We try to minimise the slayers. Like doing one circuit for the explores, and picking up all the rares we can. Then if someone is away they can catch up by running slayers on their own.

I'm a fan of the "once and done" - Done it on all five of my characters. Once even before bravery bonus was in game.

All of my characters run with Lesser Tomes of Learning and I try to save some of the pulled/free XP potions for high return quests or to help supplement during the "dry" levels.

I'm not a fan of running the same quest over and over for leveling purposes. But I do have a few quests that I enjoy running over and over because I like them.

Where I found the pinch was between 17 and 19. Of course the last time I was in this range with a character FR was still a few months away. Now we have a few more level 19 quests.

I do like to run the Cannith Challenges for a change of pace quests based on time and different type of objective then just getting the end of the dungeon and fighting a single boss.

I like doing Slayers (not all of them) while I pick up explorer points. To me it is fun to run around a Map picking up some free XP just because I was there and hack away at stuff on my way. Running into a chest is just a bonus.

I do admit I use the challenges and the Explorer areas as Top of XP. Where you need just so much XP to level, but doing a quest would be a loss of XP.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Is it possible after doing that to then cap your epic xp (3 million) without running any quest more than twice? If not, I'd skip the epic packs entirely for the heroic levels, leaving the bravery bonus for epic. (Carnival, Sentinels, Fens, VON, Desert, Secrets)
    Did it 3 times already. And one of those, I ran the first time on epic normal (so, ignoring bravery altogether). I also run the explorer zones once for the journals (mostly to open the map) and get ~400 kills on that single journey.

It is entirelly possible to run every epic quest twice (EN and EH), and get to cap. The hard part is running house D/P epics first because they are base level 20, instead of going into eveningstar asap.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast