Community Member

Default looking to buy a new laptop

I'm looking to buy a new laptop. Any suggetions on an inexpensive ddo compatible laptop would be appriciated.

Size constraint?
    It's easy to pick up a cheap ~15.6 inch that'll run DDO, but I find that a bit too big to personally consider portable.
    Furthermore.. region? Where does it need to get to?
    Last edited by FrozenNova; 11-21-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Unfamiliar with DDO's combat mechanics? Check here and here.

Pretty much any new laptop is going to be able to run DDO, though you may not be able to have the graphics turned all the way up. The biggest constraint you're likely to find is screen resolution. Small screens and low resolution make playing this game frustrating.

What else will you use this laptop for? My advice would be to purchase with your other needs in mind, and use screen resolution as a tiebreaker. Ars Technica had a decent guide to what you should look for a few months back. It shouldn't be too far out of date.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNC View Post
    Pretty much any new laptop is going to be able to run DDO, though you may not be able to have the graphics turned all the way up. The biggest constraint you're likely to find is screen resolution. Small screens and low resolution make playing this game frustrating.
    Be very careful here. Don't rely on anything that's running a cpu-integrated graphics system to be able to play DDO at respectable framerates without looking hideous, and you don't want the most entry level discrete gpu either. The "newness" is not a factor that determines its capacity to play DDO whatsoever. Make sure you know what it is that you're getting, rather than buying something because it's new and has fancy advertising that includes pretty numbers.

Chances are, you're going to be saddled with the 1368x768 native resolution. It's a really rather awful resolution to be running, but regrettably it's all you'll find in the lower price tags. Don't settle for less, certainly.

Notebookcheck is a brilliant resource in comparing laptops - use it to look up laptop class GPUs and they'll tell you both in layman's terms and in great detail just where it stands in terms of graphical prowess. They do good reviews of many main brand laptops too.
    Last edited by FrozenNova; 11-21-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    Unfamiliar with DDO's combat mechanics? Check here and here.

I haven't actually tried an integrated graphics, but I suspect dedicated graphic card is a must.

Other than that... I have some flavor of Toshiba Satellite (not 100% sure, but it may be c660-1rr turns out they make, like, a bajilion of types and variants and they're all named alike, so yeah :S ) I picked up a year ago for something like 400$. It's not exactly a powerhouse, and the small screen resolution took a bit of effort, considering all the toolbars and stuffs I need, and I had to set the details to something fairly modest, but it worked just fine. Still works, actually, except I only use it rarely for multiboxing now.

So anything bought now would probably be just as good if not better.
    Druids have a fundamental right to bear arms.

"No more patterns" - Shroud puzzles guide.