Community Member TheHolyDarkness's Avatar

Default What's the new Target AC amount?

Used to be: Shoot for 70+ AC or don't bother.

Now: ???

I'm thinking specifically of my healers, as with the right loot and twists I might be able to hit the 70s-mid 80s score with them. How much now is enough to make a real difference at the present endgame (at Epic Hard and Elite)?

~TheHolyDarkness Out~
    "A man can remake the entire world, if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."

The whole defense thing is different now.

If you look at you character sheet and mouse over your AC you will see your % miss chance at level as well as your Dodge Chance.

When you get to higher AC's adding a single point of AC will have less effect.

Next is the Physical resistance, this helps calcualte a % damage right off the top that you don't receive when you are hit.

I recommend trying to work out between your AC and Dodge a 65%+ miss chance at level, but even a 50% miss chance is worth it.

What this means is that you don't have to put tons of effort into AC to get a moderate miss chance, where under the old system you might as well go in naked unless you can achieve a specific number.

As I have experienced, on epic hard 80+ AC is well worth it. On epic elite however this is far from the truth. With over 110 AC you can't rely on AC at all, you should focus on PRR and Dodge instead. You are probably aware but I'll tell you in case you don't. With blurry and ghostly items you can get a significant reduction in incoming hits which works a lot better than a marginally useful AC and costs a lot less effort to get your hands on. Twisting to get an AC to about 80 on a healer is not worth it. You can get better twists that give you more offensive or healing power, or possibly some PRR or hit points. Even though the AC might do some difference on epic hard, the best way to deal with incoming damage is reducing the amount of enemies dealing the damage.

Community Member

The new target AC is always as much as you can get without gimping yourself in some fashion.

Community Member

my paladin can hit 151 with tower shield and combat expertise - no ship buffs. without shield, I am standing at 109 before ship buffs. At this level, I can just stand in a mob of guys and swing away and see miss after miss on eNorm/eHard. If the dungeon alert level creeps up, then I start taking a few more hits, but can still survive pretty easily. for example, i have run the "bats" part of ADQ1 solo and dragged all of the mephits to near the end. It caused an alert, but I only had to heal myself about 4 times with my loh's before finally taking all of them out. i think i was standing in front of one of the sonic traps too at the time (could not move out of the way).

during the destiny leveling process, my AC would drop down to around 84-ish I think it was (without shield). even at that AC, epic normal and hard would result in many, many misses. it was not a struggle to complete either of those difficulties when solo'ing or farming for xp. oh, I should add that I am at only 3% dodge too.

eElite on the other hand results in more hits. my high AC still helps, but I can see that I am taking more hits (and more damage). at eElite, it seems to become more about PRR and/or dodge. I've twisted in improved combat expertise for more PRR, so when I have combat expertise turned on (which is pretty much all the time), then my PRR without shield is 94 (39.73% less damage). When I equip my tower shield, it goes up to 153 (51.03% less damage) - this is with improved shield mastery feat. I mention this just for reference as I would suspect that a cleric would not use combat expertise due to tripling the cool down for spells.

So, if you can hit the low to mid 80's with your cleric, i would suspect that you should be able to see several misses when running eNorm and eHard as well as ToD, VoD, etc.

Community Member TheHolyDarkness's Avatar

My melee cleric is part monk with around 70ish AC and variable dodge based on his active destiny and stance. I'll have to look the details up again later for a better analysis.

My pure, caster oriented FvS is the one I'm surprised by, given that I dumped her dex. Yet it seems I've accidentally begun to approach relevant AC after I gave recently gave her a (Knight Set) Terrorweb Chiten and Cloak of Flames (which I only wanted for the Fire Lore, the Heighten Awareness on it I only "really" noticed just recently).

As I begin to discover what Unyielding Sentinel can do for her, I suspect I can get her significantly more AC and PRR than my cleric, yet no dodge. As for the dex issue, well, that's why I've started to farm Detour for the EE version of the boots, alongside something better than the +3 random lootgen shield that she holds. I try to evaluate what kind of thresholds she could break, hence why I'm wondering if this will be worth it and in what content.

Not dying is the first order of business as a healer afterall.

I'll give more details, but for now information like these last posts seem highly educational.

~Out~
    "A man can remake the entire world, if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."

Community Member

what is the average to hit of EE trash ?

this thread is very informative: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=383046
    I found that for me (sub 80 AC), it's better to get +4AC than +4dodge ... it sounds weird, I'm curious if you get the same feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by kaobang View Post
    what is the average to hit of EE trash ?
    I suspect it's around 2.5 times their CR, adjusted upwards by ~20-25 for mobs that have high Strength. That said - it's not possible to really know for sure.

So a CR 42 Troll might be around 105+25 = 130, a CR 54 human bandit might be around 135 (plus a smaller Str bonus) and so on.

Based on this, you will start seeing *some* misses (more than 5%) around 80 AC, but each individual point of AC has a pretty small effect.

Edit: Oh and worth saying: Once you have enough AC to be missed more than 5% of the time, AC increases your survivability linearly now. It takes the same average amount of attacks to kill someone with 100 AC and 1500 HP as it does to kill someone with 150 AC and 1000 HP. (Of course the former has an advantage against non-physical damage).
    Last edited by sirgog; 11-21-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.