Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    Can it be purchased in the AH? If it has to be crafted, I have not done 1 second of crafting yet
    You *might* find a unbound shard for it on the AH, but better still is to look for a crafter to make it for you. They will need to have level 140 in arcane crafting to make that unbound maximize ii shard. As for the base trinket itself, you can use a shard of power ingredient from Shroud (out of your reach atm), find one in treasure or buy one from the ddo store.

In regards to a craftable trinket, this is one of the rare instances where I recommend a store purchase even when you don't own all the packs yet. It costs 150 TP -- or only 50 if you use the current "100 TP off anything" deal -- and it's worth buying because it is and remains BTA after crafting on it, which is a tremendous boon for any brand new alts you decide to roll up. Having a craftable trinket at level 1 is super nice, and otherwise not possible for new alts.

For the suffix you have several choices: (All essence costs in greaters.)

Efficient Maximize II of Greater Fire lore (ML13) 39 arcane and 29 fire
    Efficient Maximize II of Greater Ice Lore (ML13) 39 arcane and 29 water
    Efficient Maximize II of Greater Void Lore (ML13) 39 arcane and 29 evil
    Efficient Maximize II of Improved False Life (ML13) 39 arcane and 29 body
    Efficient Maximize II of Good Luck +2 (ML15) 39 arcane and 56 divine

Ask around in trade channel in the house k crafting hall to find a crafter, and figure add 10-20% to the above essence totals as their fee. (So instead of 39 greater arcane, maybe up to 50 greater arcane.) Greater essences can be bought from the ah if you don't have any saved up.

Community Member

Just wanted to follow up and give an update, after all this good advice. Circle of Death has become a new favorite spell of mine

Once I got to 34 Int (the next even number) and also bought a Necromancy + 1 item in the AH, enemies below my level are dropping like flies. It doesn't target all that well. What I mean is, it only seems I can cast it if facing a targeted enemy. I wish it worked like Negative Energy burst and just shot out from me, but it's not like that. But it excels in many other way. I don't have to maximize or extend it. But I can quicken and heighten it if I want to (I should get heighten next level). I'm assuming heighten will become very important on this spell (and FOD) until I get Wail in 3 more levels.

In the rare cases where an enemy survives the first wave, I can take them out with cheaper spells, or even FOD if I'm really desperate. I've also been using FOD on casters, as was suggested in another thread, and that is working well too.

Thanks again for all the great advice

Slight Star Trek TNG reference there

I'm level 15 now now, 13 wiz/2 rog Human Palemaster. And what I am noticing now is how many hit points a lot of these standard enemies have - Ogres and Giants for example. Until recently I could boost Ice or Fire enough that I could pick these guys off one by one with Scorching Ray or Frost Lance, so save sp (8 and 10sp, respectively). But now, unless it crits, those spells do not kill in one shot. In fact several enemies now survive TWO shots, so sp is draining fast.

I am quite survivable, do to Wraith form + Displacement + Auras, so its not like I'm scared of dying. But the defenses consume sp too. What I'm seeing now is my sp bar going down FAST just for one group of 5+ enemies. I need advice on how to kill groups quickly but also efficiently with this character.

I have over 1200 sp right now (34 INT and a lot of sp boosting enhancements and a + 175 sp item), so I'm pretty much maxed. I do have the Maximize feat too, if needed. I usually run with a level 15 cleric just for Divine Vitality III (I think that's what it is called.)
    SP actually seems a little low to me but that is probably your two levels of rogue and a lack of a GS item. Either way you are looking at 20-25 or so spells after buffing so not a tonne to get your work done - that means you need to maximize your kills/sp AND/OR minimize the number of kills required to complete your task at hand
    Here are my options so far:
    1) Keep using Scorching Ray and Frost Lance, with Fire and Ice VII and max Fire/Ice gear. This is getting inefficient, and I also have to cast at least one defensive spell before they all die.
    The problem with these spells is if you max/empower them then they become SP inefficient - you are getting to the stage where these get put away until you are running on echoes of power - that and your SLAs are a better choice when that low on sp is really meaning you need to rejig your primary spells
    2) Maximized Freezing Sphere or Delayed Blast Fireball. This frequently kills most/all of the group (if I can get them grouped), but it costs 50sp to cast.
    part of learning to be a caster is zerging around gathering up mobs then collecting them in a close group and then jump casting to rain death on them.....each person has their preference - AOE dots (FW/Acidrain/Icestorm) (slow efficient kills) or AOE blasts(fireball/acidblast/otilukes) (fast sometimes inefficient kills) - YMMV as it depends on how good your damage is on you blasts vs. you aoe dots
    3) Finger of Death - 90% success rate right now, but I think it costs 40sp and is one target only. I usually only use this on orange/red names.
    sounds like you have figured out how to amp your success rate up FOD should work up to orange nameds(with lower success rate) but will not work on red names- also watch for clerics as they will cast DW fairly quickly so you need to hit them first or go to other spells
    4) Sphere of Dancing - Awesome spell, and usually works, but it just controls them, doesn't damage. Seems like a better spell for grouping than soloing. It costs a hefty 40 sp too.
    Yes works better with groups but mainly due to slow cast time. Dancing ball and FW/Ice Storm cleans up swarms of mobs - but I like Web/FW or Ice Storm better as web is a much faster cast.
    5) Shield damage? Haven't tried this yet, but maybe with both Fire Shield and Ice Shield, + Death Auras, just let them hit on me till they die? But this would consume over 50 sp per group also, and I'd still have to deal with the ranged enemies.
    Shield blocking in AOEs is good - just shield blocking in auras/fireshield isn't good as it kills too slow - Oh and you can't have both Fire shield and Ice Shield up at the same time the last one cast is all that sticks.
    6) Invis? Haven't tried this yet either. Basically, stop fighting all these groups in some way? (which results in less xp I think.)
    Invis is a Wizards single greatest tool BUT I wouldn't waste a spell slot on it - scrolls do the job for 3min at a time which is usually more than enough to get the job done. It takes some planning but you can manage it. I would suggest testing out Invising through/by as many mobs as you can in a quest - only killing at doors/mobs you must kill etc...example - in GH Feast or Famine -has lots of spots that you can skip killing and bypass fights thus saving you SP- note you will need your aura off when doing this or your ticks will 'wake' the mobs. Just play with it on normal and you will get the jist. You may lose a small amount of XP from not getting conquest but you will get done faster more than making up for it on an XP/min basis.

So basically I was breezing through fights fast, and now they take a while, and if I can't find a shrine somewhere then I can get into trouble. This is where being a sorcerer (guessing here) really shines with their big pool of sp. How do you experienced wizards deal with groups in an efficient way?
    As noted above - web and AOE- I am prone to acid rain myself as it ticks for more damage generally but you have to spec for acid and really manage the mobs to get the most out of it.

Thanks for your help, as always.
    notes in red - just answering in line - other responses didn't address a few niggly things in my head
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Wiz28 TR5 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/7 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

Community Member

Good points. You are the second person or so who has mentioned Web+Firewall. But I thought the fire burned through the webs?

And I assume by GS you mean Greensteel? I keep hearing about these but I have no idea what they are or how to get them. As I said this is my first character. I have done absolutely zero crafting, but I have kept all essences and other things I have come across. I play on Thelanis, if this helps.

Thanks again.

Community Member

Good points. You are the second person or so who has mentioned Web+Firewall. But I thought the fire burned through the webs?

And I assume by GS you mean Greensteel? I keep hearing about these but I have no idea what they are or how to get them. As I said this is my first character. I have done absolutely zero crafting, but I have kept all essences and other things I have come across. I play on Thelanis, if this helps.

Thanks again.
    web+FW is almost certainly not wai, so while it might work now expect it to eventually get fixed

yes, GS is greensteel. its the reward you get for running the shroud raid, as it is crafting based it is very much like being able to make your own raid loot! as a raid its also one of the best, and many new players have used it as a stepping stone to raids in general. for me it was the first raid i spent any significant time in to get the loot, other than my normal once or twice to see if i could. for me the biggest difference was not having to get lucky on a piece of raid loot. every time you do the shroud you get some ingredients so it feels like you are constantly making progress towards your big reward.

so even if you are mostly a soloer or run with a small group of friends, dont write the shroud off, you may find you really get on well with it. i know many other players who dont like raids in general have enjoyed the shroud.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

I'm level 15 now now, 13 wiz/2 rog Human Palemaster. And what I am noticing now is how many hit points a lot of these standard enemies have - Ogres and Giants for example. Until recently I could boost Ice or Fire enough that I could pick these guys off one by one with Scorching Ray or Frost Lance, so save sp (8 and 10sp, respectively). But now, unless it crits, those spells do not kill in one shot. In fact several enemies now survive TWO shots, so sp is draining fast.

I am quite survivable, do to Wraith form + Displacement + Auras, so its not like I'm scared of dying. But the defenses consume sp too. What I'm seeing now is my sp bar going down FAST just for one group of 5+ enemies. I need advice on how to kill groups quickly but also efficiently with this character.

I have over 1200 sp right now (34 INT and a lot of sp boosting enhancements and a + 175 sp item), so I'm pretty much maxed. I do have the Maximize feat too, if needed. I usually run with a level 15 cleric just for Divine Vitality III (I think that's what it is called.)

Here are my options so far:
    1) Keep using Scorching Ray and Frost Lance, with Fire and Ice VII and max Fire/Ice gear. This is getting inefficient, and I also have to cast at least one defensive spell before they all die.
    2) Maximized Freezing Sphere or Delayed Blast Fireball. This frequently kills most/all of the group (if I can get them grouped), but it costs 50sp to cast.
    3) Finger of Death - 90% success rate right now, but I think it costs 40sp and is one target only. I usually only use this on orange/red names.
    4) Sphere of Dancing - Awesome spell, and usually works, but it just controls them, doesn't damage. Seems like a better spell for grouping than soloing. It costs a hefty 40 sp too.
    5) Shield damage? Haven't tried this yet, but maybe with both Fire Shield and Ice Shield, + Death Auras, just let them hit on me till they die? But this would consume over 50 sp per group also, and I'd still have to deal with the ranged enemies.
    6) Invis? Haven't tried this yet either. Basically, stop fighting all these groups in some way? (which results in less xp I think.)

So basically I was breezing through fights fast, and now they take a while, and if I can't find a shrine somewhere then I can get into trouble. This is where being a sorcerer (guessing here) really shines with their big pool of sp. How do you experienced wizards deal with groups in an efficient way?

Thanks for your help, as always.
    I'll be contrarian to some of the advice here. Spamming Web may be ineffective against giant types as high-strength mobs can break Web. You'd have to hit them with something like Waves of Exhaustion to drop their strength, and then drop web to guarantee a hold.

If you are able to dance them fairly effectively, drop an Ottos, then follow it up with Ice Storm, and pick off any remaining mobs with your ranged spells. It is all really a matter of spell placement.

The "have them beat me until they die" is actually not a wholly bad tactic per se. Stoneskin helps, and in wraith form you'd have a very high fort and displacement, etc. If you were high enough to have Wail of the Banshee it would be an almost perfect strategy as they'd die well before they do too much damage to you. But for now, what I'd do is use Cold Shield, drop an Ice Storm around me, and hit the Shift key on my keyboard while they take damage and die.

An alternative to the "have them beat me until they die" is to drop Ottos, stand in the center of it, have the mobs run to engage with you, and them get caught dancing. At this point you can drop an AoE, and follow it up with something like Otiluke Freezing Sphere which also does area damage (one of my favorite spells). This, however, will not work with ranged mobs. Those you have to pick off with FoD.

BTW, the use of AoEs at this level is kind of important. Firewall is nice, and does double-damage to Trolls. However, Fire Giants are immune. Acid Rain is OK, but doesn't last long. Ice Storm, however, seems to last forever, and hammers mobs with force and ice damage.

Going invisible is really situational. If you want to get through a quest without killing anything, then go invisible and zerg - this may not always be effective. if you want to get to a quest in Gianthold without fighting a lot of stuff, cast Invis and run (just avoid the Jaraliths). Plus, some stuff has True Seeing, so it is not a sure-fire solution. Being invisible is nice if you want to place yourself before firing the first shot.

Another possibility is Enchantment spells (which Ottos and Hold is), most notibly: charm. Why should YOU do the fighting? Charm a few mobs and let THEM do the fighting for you. There are lots of charm spells out there, all you need to do is use them (if you have the stats to pull it off).

In the end, you are a PM, and Necro is your bag (baby). You're not a sorc, and you're now just learning that. Maxing fire and ice is all nice and fine for a backup, but as you're noticing its costing you a lot to do that. I mean, you can feasibly pull it off, but you'd better take as many feats and enhancements as you can to increase your SP pool, get as much gear as you can that does the same. However, your most effective set of spells available to you is all of those that relate to Necromancy, and you probably should be using those first before you start off on the nukes. The mobs you are fighting are, after all, living creatures that are not constructs, and they are the prime targets for necro spells. Spells that drain life also make mobs weaker in other aspects. You can neg-level them, and then follow-up with another spell for maximum effectiveness. I think what you probably should do is start looking at what necro spells you have available to you, and try using them before freezing or cooking everything you see.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Community Member

Re: web and firewall - some fire spells burn webs when the fire spell is cast. If you cast the web second, it lingers. WAI or not, no idea.

Circle of death was probably the best advice in this thread. Amazing spell.

Maximized AoE is definitely the way to go over single-target. It's just more time-efficient, which means spending less sp on heals and less time waiting while your death aura ticks.

Another spell you may become fond of is Horrid Wilting. It's an AoE at level 8 (so you won't quite have it with your rogue splash), costs less sp than DBF, has a fort save for half (not reflex, so no evasion), and does untyped damage (nothing resists, boosted by force enhancements). Oh, and it's in the Necromancy school, unlike all the other Evocation AoE's.
    Cannith: Officer of Legit
    Beyt, Varsuvius, Lucznik, Ordeith, FirebatHero, Koniec

DDO fire is a strange beast. Firewall, Scorching Ray, and Burning Hands are clearly fiery, but they will neither burn through Webs nor ignite certain quest objectives. Personally I consider it WAI: what's good for the goose etc. Other spells will both burn Webs and ignite objectives: Fireball is the classic example, and you will inevitably run a quest with a Fire savant who throws fireballs with abandon.
    Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy
    I'll be contrarian to some of the advice here. Spamming Web may be ineffective against giant types as high-strength mobs can break Web. You'd have to hit them with something like Waves of Exhaustion to drop their strength, and then drop web to guarantee a hold.
    They get Strength to break out, but they check Reflex to get stuck in, so giants are pretty easy pickings with Web.

Something I don't think I've seen emphasised quite enough in this thread is: Acid has the most efficient damage spells in terms of damage-per-spell point.

Leaving metas and spell power out of the equation for the moment (since the same multipliers would apply to everything), Melf's Acid Arrow gives an average 75 damage (over 12 seconds) for 6 spell points -- 12 points of damage per spell point. In an apples-to-apples comparison, Scorching Ray gives an average of 54 damage for 8 spell points -- 6.75 points of damage per spell point. Put differently: you could kill nearly twice as many mobs using nothing but Melf's as you could using nothing but Scorching Ray. Twice!

Here's another fun game: Black Dragon Bolt vs. Polar Ray. Over time, BDB does an average of 150 points of damage (unenhanced) for a level 25 caster -- for 15 spell points. 10 points of damage per spell point! Compare that to everyone's favorite Polar Ray, which does 125 at caster level 25 for 20 spell points -- 6.25 points of damage per spell point.

Acid Rain (10 damage/SP) is actually slightly less efficient than Ice Storm (12 damage/SP) -- although it does it's damage quite a bit faster, which is nice.

Like the OP, I solo with my Pale Master 80% of the time, and short-man most of the rest of the time. Heightened Finger, Circle and Wail, while effective, still eat up the spell point bar fast. I decided about a year back to focus on a spell-point efficiency respec, and went Ice/Acid, with a "minor" in Force for Horrid Wilting. The difference is stark -- worrying about spell points, even in Hard/Elite (Heroic) content, became a thing of the past. This focus isn't for most people -- get into a half-decent full party, and Acid becomes useless because it takes too long. But if you're looking for a good way to balance power and efficiency to conquer big bags of hit points, Ice/Acid(/force) has done me well.
    Last edited by cforce; 11-29-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    The Brotherhood of BYOH--Thelanis: Charged, WF Artificer; Venomshade, Half-Elf Monk; Poxs, Fist of an Angry God; Crash, Pale Monkster

http://ddowiki.com/page/Hall_of_the_Mark

i would do this quest and swap maximize with heighten, you need heighten, now

you can survive easily without maximize/empower if you are pale master, just think about which spells are you gonna use (for example fire/acid, not more than 2 so you can boost both spells) and spend some enhancement points on them for getting better damage

now use web + firewall or whatever, except fireball and explosions, so your web will survive but mobs won't

web+acid rain, web+ice storm, choose your own way to kill (2 versions please, some mobs can be immune to one element, so 2 options are a good idea if those mobs come in groups, if it comes alone just one shot him, u're a pm!! XD)

and always blur+shield+greater heroism+ dead aura actives, if things come harder, would be nice if you have displacement and necrotic blast(that one will heal you, more than 2-3 ticks of your dead aura)

if you are soloing you should avoid instakill spells, until you know the quest(and for example run invis through the dungeon, then kill some mobs to invis again, so you don't kill every mob you see and it doesn't follow u) because you may fight more than needed before you get the shrine

and use corners XD the number of enemies that can hit you at the same time is limited because their size and the space you leave them to attack u, just remember that casters and ranged weapons don't need extra space for attacking you, since ddo hasn't the pnp rule that said something like "if there's 1 friend/foe in the line of sight of the caster/ranged there're chances to hit them before the target"

so, careful with casters, mostly XD

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Hall_of_the_Mark

i would do this quest and swap maximize with heighten, you need heighten, now
    Maximize is much more important than Heighten at all levels. Especially on a non-pure build that pays full price for Heighten (pure you at least have the capstone taking some of that cost out of Heighten). Do take Heighten (it turns Web from a weak inexpensive spell to an effective but SP draining spell), but nothing wrong with grabbing it at 17 or 18 (you'll get a Wizard feat at Wiz15 which is the level 17 feat).

The best spells at your level are Delayed Blast Fireball and Acid Rain. Most monsters will just die to a failed DBF save if you spec and gear for fire (on elite this isn't true but they'll die to the second casting). And it has a HUGE area of effect. (You'll almost never use the trap version)

Acid Rain is your efficient workhorse. Hotbar it twice - once without metamagics (15 SP is dirt cheap, and it still gets the job done) and once with the lot (for when you are willing to burn SP to make things that are surrounding you die fast).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Lots of good suggestions:

Here are a couple that I use.

1. Web+Acid Blast <- Less worry about burning web away
    2. scrolled summons <- use some wand buffs (Bears/Bulls/Blur) on them and set them loose. Two things that can happen 1) Mobs ignore you 2) Mobs group up
    3. Charm/suggestion select mob(s) - rule always try for no more then just over 1/2 when using mass and help maintain that balance by using the dismiss charm ability. Best used in Solo/Short man play. Also keep in mind charming a mob across the room can give you just enough of an opening to get past the fight without having to fight.
    4. Scroll/Wand Invisibility - very few occasions really require invisibility at the 1 minute per level from casting from SP.
    5. Shadow Walk Scrolled lasts longer than Haste+Displacement and is great for Long Runs where fighting is not needed, scroll/wand Invisibility with it and as long as you give stuff a wide berth you can get just about anywhere without drawing unnecessary attention.
    6. Keeping mobs in AoE will produce greater SP efficiency when you can keep mobs in it. Scrolled Shadow Walk again can help as it combines the benefits of Haste and displacement, you add in the incorporeal wraith form and you make yourself that much harder to hit.

As for melee there does come a point where the resource cost of smashing everything outweighs the benefit. Here UMD for invisibility options or even potions are used to bypass fights that don't need to be engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Lots of good suggestions:

Here are a couple that I use.

1. Web+Acid Blast <- Less worry about burning web away
    2. scrolled summons <- use some wand buffs (Bears/Bulls/Blur) on them and set them loose. Two things that can happen 1) Mobs ignore you 2) Mobs group up
    3. Charm/suggestion select mob(s) - rule always try for no more then just over 1/2 when using mass and help maintain that balance by using the dismiss charm ability. Best used in Solo/Short man play. Also keep in mind charming a mob across the room can give you just enough of an opening to get past the fight without having to fight.
    4. Scroll/Wand Invisibility - very few occasions really require invisibility at the 1 minute per level from casting from SP.
    5. Shadow Walk Scrolled lasts longer than Haste+Displacement and is great for Long Runs where fighting is not needed, scroll/wand Invisibility with it and as long as you give stuff a wide berth you can get just about anywhere without drawing unnecessary attention.
    6. Keeping mobs in AoE will produce greater SP efficiency when you can keep mobs in it. Scrolled Shadow Walk again can help as it combines the benefits of Haste and displacement, you add in the incorporeal wraith form and you make yourself that much harder to hit.

As for melee there does come a point where the resource cost of smashing everything outweighs the benefit. Here UMD for invisibility options or even potions are used to bypass fights that don't need to be engaged.
    On charms - in a quest where there's little or no incentive to killing everything, few things speed up completion times quite like running ahead of the group and charming one mob in each room, waiting a second for the others to surround it, throwing a big Acid Rain or DBF on top of your charmed minion (hurting all the other mobs badly, maybe killing some) then letting your minions (sorry, party members) finish the job.

Use Circle of Death on cooldown too.

Just being a trek nerd here but thats actually a ToS quote. Next gen did remake a few of Tos episodes and this was one of them.
    Last edited by adamkatt; 11-28-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Community Member

Some of these recent answers are ironic in light of what I recently discovered.

Acid - I used it for Melf's arrow early on and then dropped it, but only temporarily. Next level I get Black Dragon bolt, and at that point I intend to go Ice/Acid instead of Ice/Fire. The unfortunate part is that Pale Master II (I think) forces me to spend 5 enhancement points on Fire. Am I correct on this?

Notes on Acid. Do those Acid spells like Melf's and Bolt (or even rain) "stack" (like Niac's)? Regarding the efficiency of Acid. Yes, they do more damage, but isn't that mitigated by them killing slower? In other words, with Acid I might have to cast defensive spells to sustain me, while the acid does its thing, correct? It seems to me that this should be factored in. I'm assuming that BDB and Niac's whatever (the DOT) will be my boss killing spells going forward?

Charm - I was running around in Gianthold last night for fun on my own (admitedly over level), and experimenting with Mass Suggestion. That was a LOT of fun, and that is when I remembered that "Dismiss Charm" ability that I had tucked away for the last 16 levels! So I quickly realized that I could 1) Cast Mass Suggestion, 2) See who made their save, if anyone, 3) Watch the other charmed monsters (for 1 minute at this level) attack the uncharmed, 4) Dismiss the charm on the next enemy, 5) Watch the remaining charmed enemies kill the dismissed one, rinse and repeat. It was very cool, and all for 40 sp (heightened).

I'll also start using Invis more in quests, as I have learned to avoid almost all fighting in Wilderness areas now (although I know that quests are more confined).

As I said, a Heightened Circle of Death works quite well too, at least in the areas I am currently exploring.

Now my concern is of a different sort. Assuming I could get together the shards and plat to do this, how do I replace Augment Summoning with something better for higher level content? Since I was Human Rogue at level 1, Augment Summoning and Toughness were my first 2 feats. But when I talked to Fred last night (don't have the shards, but was experimenting on that screen), it seems I can only replace it with something I could take at that level? It doesn't seem that magic feats were an option for me at that point. So am I stuck with Augment Summoning for my entire first life?

Thanks again. You guys are awesome
    Last edited by stefferweffer; 11-28-2012 at 05:18 PM.

On the acid spells:

Melf's is weak. Not useful (except for the SLAs on an earth savant) after the low to middle levels.

Acid Rain is a persistant AOE spell similar to Firewall, but it deals the damage in a shorter timeframe. Four medium-sized damage packets instead of fourteen small ones.

Black Dragon Bolt is a single-target high damage spell like Polar Ray or Scorching Ray (much more damaging than the latter). It's not a stacking spell like Niac's and really I don't use it much levelling but do keep it prepared for when there's one enemy alive.

Quote Originally Posted by adamkatt View Post
    Just being a trek nerd here but thats actually a ToS quote.
    Searching Google/Memory Alpha only turns up "Home Soil" (TNG) as having the phrase. Any idea which episode has it?
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Melf's is weak. Not useful (except for the SLAs on an earth savant) after the low to middle levels.
    Respectfully disagree . Melf's is *the strongest spell in the game* for single-target damage done per spell point. (OK, technically Burning Blood is marginally more, *if* you are Fire/Acid spec. But: if you're Fire/Acid spec, and you're reading this thread and trying to optimize, my first bit of advice would be: don't be Fire/Acid

So, *if* you're in a playstyle where you're surviving fine, but running out of spell points, Melf's is *the best* spell to have loaded to help fix your problem (provided you're acid specced, of course).

Put a different way: if, at any point, you find you're including Necrotic Bolt in your rotation to kills stuff more slowly but conserve spell points, fire off a Melf's instead every 12 seconds. With spell power/enhancements (but not meta'ed), it will deal more damage than your Necrotic Bolt, and at a measly 6 spell points, it's close enough to free that you can probably afford it even if you're in danger of running out. One 6-point spell every 12 seconds, a 0.5 spell point per second expenditure, is pretty marginal, and it will end any fight that you're actually using Necrotic Bolt in faster.

It's weak in *most* contexts, but in specific contexts -- a caster, possibly first-life, trying to solo Hard/Elite content -- it is simply the best spell in the game for low-cost killing.

Full disclosure: I stopped using it after I got Black Dragon Bolt, but that's mainly because I wasn't ever short on spell points after I got a Torc and didn't want to have too many hotbars. I still use Necrotic Bolt, and it would be smarter for me to use Melf's in situations where I'm using Necrotic Bolt -- I just prefer a slimmer set of hotbars.
    The Brotherhood of BYOH--Thelanis: Charged, WF Artificer; Venomshade, Half-Elf Monk; Poxs, Fist of an Angry God; Crash, Pale Monkster

Acid - I used it for Melf's arrow early on and then dropped it, but only temporarily. Next level I get Black Dragon bolt, and at that point I intend to go Ice/Acid instead of Ice/Fire. The unfortunate part is that Pale Master II (I think) forces me to spend 5 enhancement points on Fire. Am I correct on this?
    Not for the Pale Master line, no. Those are required for some of the summons, but I've found the summons to be a party trick at best past low levels.

In other words, with Acid I might have to cast defensive spells to sustain me, while the acid does its thing, correct? It seems to me that this should be factored in.
    As a quick aside -- are you finding that you need more than Death Aura to sustain you? Generally speaking, I found the Death Aura alone (with Displacement if things were particularly hairy) was almost always enough to simply sit in the middle of a bunch of mobs and wait for them to die. If this isn't the case for you, I'd ask: do you have a solid Nullification item equipped at all times?

If you're simply referring to taking more of the Death Aura timer when killing things slower, yes -- you'll need slightly more Death Auras between each shrine. But not by a lot. You'll still spend more time in each quest running from point to point than you do actively in combat, so even doubling in-combat time only marginally lengthens the amount of overall time you have Death Aura running in between shrines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast