Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Didn't know that this was possible.

I have even 1 negative for something that doesn't exist anymore. The whole link is missing. Strange.
    I wonder if the whole thread got deleted there or just my post.
    Last edited by Alrik_Fassbauer; 11-21-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pHo3nix View Post
    Incorrect info? I think that the post is pretty well written and informative.
    That does not change the fact that is incorrect, The others in the topic he was discussing have explained why he is wrong here http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=398218&page=2

namely this post - http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=45 and they go further again to offer build advice which is sound (That you do not need a high wisdom to get a good enough spot skill) here http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=53

if you want to discuss it, I would suggest going to that topic with the other people there, and discuss it. I am sure they will be willing to give you a more in-depth answer then I am.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNova View Post
    I scored a neg for this:
    Note that mentioning getting negative rep like you just did is a violation of forum rules. It's considered a form of reputation farming, like you're trying to get sympathy postitive-reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalgren View Post
    You can contest it. Report your own post (the one that got the neg rep) with a clear, concise, and polite explanation of why you feel the neg rep was not deserved.

If the mods agree, your neg rep for that post can be overturned.
    Thanks! Will do that.
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    Colourless points indicate that a person gave you negative reputation but didn't have enough rep to hand out negative reputation.
    I have also gotten a "pos" rep by someone that had almost no rep themselves, and it came out "blank" so it's not just a neg rep, it's any rep indication that had no impact, as far as I know.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    I have also gotten a "pos" rep by someone that had almost no rep themselves, and it came out "blank" so it's not just a neg rep, it's any rep indication that had no impact, as far as I know.
    Yes. I've gotten the blue/grey rep box for a post that was quoted by someone with reputation turned off who said:
    "+1 for the chuckle"
    so I'd assume they pos repped the post, but since theirs is turned off, it showed the neutral box and didn't affect my total or whatever.

I think the OP's post was more about getting an explanation of disagreement than getting the neg rep itself. I happen to agree with that sentiment. Neg rep itself serves no purpose if I am not in violation of the terms of the forums. (which I am very, very careful not to do)

OTOH, if you reply to what I said that you disagree with, we can then have a constructive conversation where maybe I can learn something.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Community Member

I read this forum every day.

Sometimes I write back.

I get neg repped all the time.

It's usually the same creeps. You know, the guys who post on every thread blah blah **** about why are you posting this or blah blah why do we have this thread.

It makes me mad, always, when I read comments from this particular group of people.

You know what, let's not think about it anymore ok. LOL.

gonna go have some coffee.
    DDO...everything in moderation

Throwing rep around either way in a thread discussing rep is probably not the best idea.

That does not change the fact that is incorrect
    Even if I were, I'm quite obviously not trying to just delude people for the sake of it. What I posted was the result of my experience between four rogues and rogue splashes and my knowledge of others' experience - that with maxed spot and level appropriate spot gear, it is still more often than not the case that rogues cannot hit elite spot dc's at level. This is still very much true to my knowledge. This can't really be shown either way without a spreadsheet of elite spot dc's, though.
    Unfamiliar with DDO's combat mechanics? Check here and here.

Even if I were, I'm quite obviously not trying to just delude people for the sake of it.
    If you want to discuss the Spot Skill as far as Rogues go, that would be better served back to it's original discussion topic, not here. FYI - Dragging a discussion from one topic to an unrelated topic is called derailing the thread, and some posters tend to not like that, and voice that dislike with little red boxes on your account.

You made a fuss about being neg-reped for that, and I told you why, love, like, or hate what I have to say, that is most likely the reason you got neg repd, and would conclude our discussion on that subject.

Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr

Throwing rep around either way in a thread discussing rep is probably not the best idea.

Even if I were, I'm quite obviously not trying to just delude people for the sake of it. What I posted was the result of my experience between four rogues and rogue splashes and my knowledge of others' experience - that with maxed spot and level appropriate spot gear, it is still more often than not the case that rogues cannot hit elite spot dc's at level. This is still very much true to my knowledge. This can't really be shown either way without a spreadsheet of elite spot dc's, though.
    here ya go

and while i didn't really consider your post neg-worthy and probably wouldn't neg it myself... you ARE passing out poor information... based on your experience or not. i'm sorry for that slap in the face, but you are i just leveled a rogue thru 2 lives, with completely DUMPED wisdom the first life, and not much better the second life, and not only did i have NO trouble with spot whatsoever, i had more than enough points for the main 5 skills (spot search disable locks and UMD) that i had enough left over to also max balance, jump, and weird stuff like intimidate. i literally had more skill points than i knew what to do with... and i did not max intelligence either. before you try to make some claim that i was an ubertwinked alt or something... said rogue started out as a 28 point halfling mechanic (my second character, ever), who was later GRed up to 32 points mechanic again, and then later LRed into an assassin when i ran the numbers and realized that i would only lose a paltry few points in my trapping skills for a large gain to my fighting capacity.
    Last edited by katz; 11-21-2012 at 07:09 AM.

the official home of LOLWUT

LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    As others have said, it was probably because you were passing out incorrect info. Which is neg rep worthy tbh. Just like a good informative posts are Pos rep worthy.

Not everything is simply because people disagree with you.
    His post really didn't deserve neg rep. In the context of the discussion, it was appropriate, on-par with the tone, and contributed to the debate. I don't see any incorrect info, just a particular view and the reasoning behind it.

Somebody took it the wrong way. I post plenty of stuff I expect to get hit for, and those get left alone. I typically pick up neg rep for posts that seem completely innocuous, or something a person just seemed to disagree with.

Default How I deal with neg rep.

Mind over matter.

If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Back to the OP, I would respectfully disagree. At least I would never comment on why I neg repped someone, as it just leads to drama.

Of course, I would pretty much suspect that any post I neg... well it is pretty obvious why I do so. It is almost exclusively because person "A" is being an a$$hat to person "B."

I could see, though, that it might be nice (maybe) if there were categories of neg rep to assign. So when I person hovered over their neg rep they could see "trolling" or "derogatory" or whatever.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Smile

Usually you get more unjustified positive reputation than unjustified negative reputation. For some reason I have never seen anyone complaining about that.
    Last edited by lhidda; 11-21-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redoubt View Post
    If you don't tell the person what was wrong in some fashion, a private message at the least, what do you expect to accomplish?

Think about your goal in giving negative rep when you do so. If its not being used as a tool to help someone be a better member of the forum, well, then you are doing it wrong.

Thanks.
    The problem is that saying you neg repped someone is often the start of a flame war. Neg rep is in many cases the better alternative to replying because it avoids flame wars.

For example, if I went on a spew that clearly was offensive and violated forum rules, the internet norm/instinct is often to be nasty back to me. Thus begins the flame war. If instead you just say to yourself "what an donkey" and neg rep them, you (at least for me) can get the satisfaction of "replying" to that donkey without engaging in debates and discussions that are bound to end badly.

I've also noticed that many replies to neg rep worthy posts are themselves neg rep worthy and serve no real purpose.

Frankly telling someone not to be an ass doesn't tend to make them behave.

I get neg-repped all the time,.....
    These forums seem to have a disproportionately large population of over-sensitive little souls to whom any form of disagreement or divergence of opinion with theirs, or (heaven forbid!) a politely worded comment from which they might infer that they actually are an over-sensitive, whinging, small-minded little cretin, who should spend a bit more time actually playing the game rather than constant moan about trivial irrelevencies... who's fingers are itching to hit that neg button...

Anyway, I'll take this opportunity to let them all in on a little secret...

I DON'T CARE!! neg away

I couldn't give a stuff what you think
    Last edited by IWMettleblade; 11-21-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    "Im-plo-sion: For when you just absolutely HAVE to kill every M*****-F***** in the room".
    (Samuel L Jackson)
    Alts: Mercilless, Relenttless, Maliciouss: The Silence sisters.

I scored a neg for this: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=27 - for no apparent reason other than someone disagreed with me. That was pretty fascinating.
    Well, you shouldn't have gotten neg rep for that, but your statement was about 99% wrong... Max ranks and a good spot item, even with a bad wisdom score, will give you a warning for just about every trap in the game.

Also, spot is great is for seeing hidden enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by DocBenway View Post
    Yes. I've gotten the blue/grey rep box for a post that was quoted by someone with reputation turned off who said:
    "+1 for the chuckle"
    so I'd assume they pos repped the post, but since theirs is turned off, it showed the neutral box and didn't affect my total or whatever.
    They can't turn it off. All they turn off is the DISPLAY of it to others. They can still see their own rep and they still can give/receive both pos/neg rep as normal.

Oh, and the display turning off is a bit buggy so if they have total rep <0 after you neg rep them you get to see their redbar

Quote Originally Posted by redoubt View Post
    If you don't tell the person what was wrong in some fashion, a private message at the least, what do you expect to accomplish?

Think about your goal in giving negative rep when you do so. If its not being used as a tool to help someone be a better member of the forum, well, then you are doing it wrong.

Thanks.
    Some people give me neg rep every so often because they don't like me (very easy to get those removed, because they just neg-rep any old post by me, even ones that aren't controversial in any way).

But most of the other neg rep I get is deserved. And I don't need them to pm me or tell me why... because I usually get it when I do cross a line with the insults, etc.

What post of yours are you wondering about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast