Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 152
  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    I use to send people PM's when I neg Repped them and why, and all it accomplished was they would become bitter towards me, feel it was unjustified (Like anyone feels their neg rep is justified ) they would neg me back in revenge, and then start a spat war with me on the forums.
    I get a decent amount of neg rep, and in pretty much every case I know why I get it and understand why people felt justified in neg'ing me. The way I look at it, it doesn't matter if I feel the neg was justified or not. All that matters is whethere I can conceive of a way in which somebody else could feel it was justified. In every case, yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by pHo3nix View Post
    Incorrect info? I think that the post is pretty well written and informative.
    Like the example this post is refering to, about how rogues can't get enough spot so put your points in balance instead. Personally, I think that advice is misleading and incorrect, and grounds for neg rep. Don't remember if I negged that post originally -- certainly might have -- but of course not going back to neg it now.

  2. #42
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhalgren View Post
    You can contest it. Report your own post (the one that got the neg rep) with a clear, concise, and polite explanation of why you feel the neg rep was not deserved.

    If the mods agree, your neg rep for that post can be overturned.
    I just report my own post, saying "I got neg rep for this which I don't think is deserved. Could you review please?"

    And 90% of the time, the neg rep gets removed.

    I don't do that for the borderline ones where I can see I may have crossed the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  3. #43
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Annexia
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    They can't turn it off. All they turn off is the DISPLAY of it to others. They can still see their own rep and they still can give/receive both pos/neg rep as normal.

    Oh, and the display turning off is a bit buggy so if they have total rep <0 after you neg rep them you get to see their redbar
    So it was a +1 but their total wasn't enough to actually +1 with the scaled down hits since they revamped it. As far as the neg rep display goes, I don't know, haven't hit the plateau to do it and very rarely get the urge to click it.

  4. #44
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I just report my own post, saying "I got neg rep for this which I don't think is deserved. Could you review please?"

    And 90% of the time, the neg rep gets removed.

    I don't do that for the borderline ones where I can see I may have crossed the line.
    This is my experience as well.

    Like you I find unwarrented rep is usually removed when its reported, but most of the neg rep I get (and I get 1 every month or two) is a case where on a sober second look I have to agree that I either crossed a line or came pretty darn close to it.

    I think if people get a lot of neg rep they really should look at their posts and wonder why. If they are honest with themselves there is probably a reason.

  5. #45
    The Hatchery stoerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    I also get really random neg rep sometimes, and am left puzzled about the reason.

    I like the slashdot.org system whereby individual posts have a total rep score, which also counts towards the poster. Each score also includes an adjective to describe the reason, eg. informative, flamebait or whatever.

    Tolero has posted an official reputation system guide. The neg rep examples include "inflammatory, derogatory, disruptive, trolling, or violates community guidelines". Conspicuosly absent are "disagree", "bad grammar" and "pro PvP".
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

  6. #46
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    I also get really random neg rep sometimes, and am left puzzled about the reason.

    I like the slashdot.org system whereby individual posts have a total rep score, which also counts towards the poster. Each score also includes an adjective to describe the reason, eg. informative, flamebait or whatever.

    Tolero has posted an official reputation system guide. The neg rep examples include "inflammatory, derogatory, disruptive, trolling, or violates community guidelines". Conspicuosly absent are "disagree", "bad grammar" and "pro PvP".
    "disruptive" is such a broad one that it debatably includes many things that the author doesn't think is disruptive.

    It works both ways though, pos rep is MUCH more often handed out for something that makes the poster smile (like funny posts) and that is also not within the pos rep rules unless you make a similar stretch of the meaning of the words.

  7. #47
    Community Member Jeromio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Rusty Nail
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I get a decent amount of neg rep, and in pretty much every case I know why I get it and understand why people felt justified in neg'ing me. The way I look at it, it doesn't matter if I feel the neg was justified or not. All that matters is whethere I can conceive of a way in which somebody else could feel it was justified. In every case, yes.

    Like the example this post is refering to, about how rogues can't get enough spot so put your points in balance instead. Personally, I think that advice is misleading and incorrect, and grounds for neg rep. Don't remember if I negged that post originally -- certainly might have -- but of course not going back to neg it now.
    I think a problem is that several people have misunderstood the intention of neg rep. You're not supposed to neg rep just because you don't agree with a post. It just leads to extra work for Turbine to have to delete unjustified neg reps.
    If you don't agree, or find incorrect information; make a post instead responding with a correction or your point of opinion.
    The example post does not (IMHO ) reserve any neg rep, even if it doesn't contain accurate info, but it certainly deserves some response with more correct information.
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

  8. #48
    Community Member illusion28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lima - Peru
    Posts
    214

    Thumbs down Enervation to your Reputation!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I get a decent amount of neg rep, and in pretty much every case I know why I get it and understand why people felt justified in neg'ing me. The way I look at it, it doesn't matter if I feel the neg was justified or not. All that matters is whethere I can conceive of a way in which somebody else could feel it was justified. In every case, yes.

    Like the example this post is refering to, about how rogues can't get enough spot so put your points in balance instead. Personally, I think that advice is misleading and incorrect, and grounds for neg rep. Don't remember if I negged that post originally -- certainly might have -- but of course not going back to neg it now.
    But, it's not up to US to determine what should be "neg-repped" or not, there are guildelines described under the NEGATIVE REPUTATION option which are: "inflammatory, derogatory, disruptive, trolling, or violates community guidelines"

    If, taking the example, you think that it's misleading, or incorrect, then you can post in the thread or PM the person who posted, and let him know that it's incorrect and why. We shouldn't feel "it's justified" to neg rep something that doesn't fall under the categories given by the community managers.. sorta speak.

  9. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redoubt View Post
    If you don't tell the person what was wrong in some fashion, a private message at the least, what do you expect to accomplish?

    Think about your goal in giving negative rep when you do so. If its not being used as a tool to help someone be a better member of the forum, well, then you are doing it wrong.

    Thanks.
    what exactly do you think would be accomplished by PMing explanations? First, it would break the anonymity goal set by turbine. they dont want people claiming the negs and they dont want the recipients to know either. This has been flat out stated by Tolero and/or Cordovon.

    Not to mention it would do absolutely no good most of the time anyway.

    People know exactly what they mean when they post something. Dont insult me by claiming innocence and claiming I took something the wrong way.... (Using "me" in a figurative sense here, btw).

    providing an explanation in no way would solve anything. Either it would be baseless and therefore, pointless, or the recipient would disagree with the explanation given anyway. And lets face it, there are a lot of Trolls around as well that know exactly what they said and dont regret it in the least. someone giving them an "explanation" just fuels their desire to be a ****** even more.....
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  10. #50
    Community Member Miow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by susiedupfer View Post
    You know you can get neg rep overturned by mods if unfairly given, right? You just click on the ! icon at the top and send a comment for mod review.

    I know it stinks when someone unfairly neg reps you, but we are talking about humans here. With all their bad days, mood swings, etc. I imagine it will get worse with the holidays here before it gets better. Hang in there, use the ! option, and it will get better before too long.
    Wasted energy in my books on a system that doesn't mean squat because it is so flawed. I'm not going to explain why it is wrong that you even have to "defend" a post you wrongly received neg rep for in the first place.

  11. #51
    Founder Hambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Didn't know that this was possible.

    I have even 1 negative for something that doesn't exist anymore. The whole link is missing. Strange.
    I wonder if the whole thread got deleted there or just my post.
    If you look at the list of posts and the title reads "N/A" the entire thread has been deleted.
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

  12. #52
    Community Member Ushurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    403

    Default

    I went and read Frozennova's post and found nothing neg-worthy.
    It WAS NOT factually incorrect ... it just wasn't flavorfly correct...meaning you pointed out a glaring truth that text-bookers don't want pointed out. I will say that if you would have made the exact same thread about Art is, nobody would have contested it.

    With that said...neg reppers should be forced to give a reason as to why it was negged, this way if it needs to be contested it is obvious why.
    They could allow you to remain an Anonymous poster so only the devs would know who did it and this would resolve any revenge begging.

    To the op.....
    But, as I tell my kids...life isn't fair and people make it worse. :-)
    Oh yeah...plus one for bringing a fatal flaw in the system to light.
    Last edited by Ushurak; 11-21-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    Argo server:
    Deadbot-Sorcerer Warforged // Weetawted - Wizard AM Warforged // Rattletrap - Light Monk Warforged // Baloons - Artificer Warforged // Mormorromrom - Favored Soul Human Evoker/Healer

  13. #53
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeromio View Post
    I think a problem is that several people have misunderstood the intention of neg rep. You're not supposed to neg rep just because you don't agree with a post. It just leads to extra work for Turbine to have to delete unjustified neg reps.
    If you don't agree, or find incorrect information; make a post instead responding with a correction or your point of opinion.
    The example post does not (IMHO ) reserve any neg rep, even if it doesn't contain accurate info, but it certainly deserves some response with more correct information.
    Part of the confusion may have come from the fact that in the beginning of the rep system we WERE supposed to neg rep bad/misleading information as it was supposed to be, in part at least, a quality evaluation, not just a popularity contest.

  14. #54
    The Hatchery Nospheratus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    The thing is, people don't understand that neg rep IS NOT a "disagree button"... Seriously people, READ the text in the "neg rep button"... It says:
    "Disapprove (e.g. Inflammatory, Derogatory, Disruptive, Trolling, or violates community guidelines)".



    So, where is this??
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNova View Post
    When spot works, it's useful. It tells you when you're in-range of searching the trap box.
    But, a lot of the time, it doesn't work. Rogues don't have wisdom, and spot is a wisdom based skill. Even with max ranks and core gear, a significant amount of the time, it's going to be doing absolutely nothing. Spot DCs are too high to make it reliable without actively buffing it as much as possible.

    To all those saying "do it just because you have enough points", that's not really true. E.g. the list above me has no balance. Rogues often don't have enough points for every skill they could want. Hence, spot is a trade of a potentially useful skill for a potentially useless one. It's not an obvious choice.

    If someone posts incorrect information about something, it is not worthy of neg rep, unless it's deliberately giving wrong information - which would be classified as trolling BTW - not the case in the quoted post.

    (EDIT: obviously missing a word here) Some people with more than 1500 rep feel they can (and perhaps should) coerce or bully others into their own opinion. I pretty much stopped posting as much as I used to because of the neg rep trolls that give neg rep when they disagree (which BTW is against community guidelines) and then proceed to use another of their accounts to do the same.

    From the Community Guidelines:
    1. While participating on the Community Sites, you must respect the rights of others to participate in the community. To this end you may not harass, defraud, threaten or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other members or Turbine staff. This includes, but is not limited to:

    Name-calling or other insults
    Posting or commenting with the intent of provoking ("trolling") another user or users
    Flaming another user for their spelling or grammar
    Bringing disagreements with someone into unrelated threads or blog posts/comments
    Creating a thread, post, or comment on any of the Community Sites that calls out another player(s) for their actions in the game
    The Reputation System Guide is flawed because it only mentions abuse of the rep system from the "rep farming" point of view. Other than that, it says you can report your own posts to ask for the neg rep removal.
    What it should have is rules for when you can/should give neg rep, other than the obvious 1500 rep. Things like: If you give too much unwarranted neg rep, you will receive an infraction. How about that? This would probably make people think before disagreeing with neg rep.



    I used to care more about neg rep too. I don't report the neg rep either, because I feel I shouldn't have to and I don't care that much. I don't think people report their own positive rep as undeserved either, when it is the case...

    Turbine doesn't discuss this issue nor do they update the visible system rules to something worthy of note. A big discussion about this happened in the past and led nowhere...
    Last edited by Nospheratus; 11-21-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added the word "some" to better represent my train of thought when writting this post.
    R.I.P. Devourer - 20-Aug-2010 11:00 GMT(+1 DST)
    (World Broadcast): World broadcast: 'Farewell to all our loyal players and thank you for your time in Eberron. We wish you all the best for your future adventures. Please log out now as the servers are now going down. Many thanks, Codemasters Online.'

  15. #55
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNova View Post
    I scored a neg for this: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=27 - for no apparent reason other than someone disagreed with me. That was pretty fascinating.
    I've been hit w/ neg rep when someone disagreed with me on FACTS that are reality, but they just didn't like them. Ah well, you take the good with the bad.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  16. #56

    Default

    Personally, I think this is the closest the post comes to "trolling"

    Even with max ranks and core gear, a significant amount of the time, it's going to be doing absolutely nothing. Spot DCs are too high to make it reliable without actively buffing it as much as possible.
    that is presented as a "fact". not an opinion. What may be a "Significant amount of time" for the poster could be never encountered by the person receiving the "advice".
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

    Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

  17. #57
    The Hatchery Nospheratus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Limbo
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    Personally, I think this is the closest the post comes to "trolling"



    that is presented as a "fact". not an opinion. What may be a "Significant amount of time" for the poster could be never encountered by the person receiving the "advice".
    Well, that's your opinion, which you are entitled to, but doesn't make it a fact either...

    My opinion of the post is that it presents the poster's experience and no malicious intent of misleading - ie: not trolling. If you disagree with the post and think it has incorrect information, why not post your opinion instead of neg repping? (Not saying you did, just an example)

    If you want to be that strict, you should probably say that about 95% of all posts in a forum are opinions, because that many present no evidence or references, and accept them as such.
    R.I.P. Devourer - 20-Aug-2010 11:00 GMT(+1 DST)
    (World Broadcast): World broadcast: 'Farewell to all our loyal players and thank you for your time in Eberron. We wish you all the best for your future adventures. Please log out now as the servers are now going down. Many thanks, Codemasters Online.'

  18. #58
    Community Member Cyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Note that mentioning getting negative rep like you just did is a violation of forum rules. It's considered a form of reputation farming, like you're trying to get sympathy postitive-reps.
    Yup, it is probably the most common form of reputation farming.

    As to the OP. It should be noted that saying you negative rep'd someone can be seen as disruptive/trolling/fighting. All things which are themselves worthy of negative rep and/or possible community guideline violations.
    Last edited by Cyr; 11-21-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

  19. #59
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,032

    Default

    i could care less about rep. neg rep me down to 0, i wont care. it wont stop me from posting my experiences and opinions. for some people, the truth is too hard to swallow.

    ive only neg repped a few people and i always post why for all to see.

  20. #60
    Hero Gkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nospheratus View Post
    If someone posts incorrect information about something, it is not worthy of neg rep, unless it's deliberately giving wrong information - which would be classified as trolling BTW - not the case in the quoted post.
    This I agree with

    People with more than 1500 rep feel they can (and perhaps should) coerce or bully others into their own opinion. I pretty much stopped posting as much as I used to because of the neg rep trolls that give neg rep when they disagree (which BTW is against community guidelines) and then proceed to use another of their accounts to do the same.
    Now THAT is neg rep worthy in my books. You just called everyone with over 1500 rep a bully and a troll, plus you are accusing them of abusing the system with secondary accounts, which is highly unlikely because bank/2box accounts are unlikely to have posted enough to have the 1500 pos rep needed to neg rep.

    What it should have is rules for when you can/should give neg rep, other than the obvious 1500 rep. Things like: If you give too much unwarranted neg rep, you will receive an infraction. How about that? This would probably make people think before disagreeing with neg rep.
    Actually that's already the rule. It has already been stated (and some have confirmed it happening to them) that if you abuse the system the mods may impose any or all of the following penalties at their discretion: Give you a formal forum warning, give you forum infractions, wipe out all of your own existing rep.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload