Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default neg rep without an explaination will not fix anything

If you don't tell the person what was wrong in some fashion, a private message at the least, what do you expect to accomplish?

Think about your goal in giving negative rep when you do so. If its not being used as a tool to help someone be a better member of the forum, well, then you are doing it wrong.

Thanks.
    /sigh

I scored a neg for this: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=27 - for no apparent reason other than someone disagreed with me. That was pretty fascinating.
    Unfamiliar with DDO's combat mechanics? Check here and here.

Neg-repped you for that post.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Well on any decent forums not maintained by the likes of these people here the rep system works nicelly and is always visible whom it was that pos/neg repped you.Also on decent forums not maintained by the likes of these people here the repper is required to file in a small and visible explanation of why he thought your post was pos/neg worthy.
    That brings us to a simple conclusion that these forums are extremelly poorly handled.

You know you can get neg rep overturned by mods if unfairly given, right? You just click on the ! icon at the top and send a comment for mod review.

I know it stinks when someone unfairly neg reps you, but we are talking about humans here. With all their bad days, mood swings, etc. I imagine it will get worse with the holidays here before it gets better. Hang in there, use the ! option, and it will get better before too long.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNova View Post
    I scored a neg for this: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=27 - for no apparent reason other than someone disagreed with me. That was pretty fascinating.
    Well I would say it's inaccurate, every rogue who knows his business must (and can) have enough spot to detect all traps, but by far not something to give negative reputation, nothing like: Inflammatory, Derogatory, Disruptive, Trolling, or violates community guidelines.

But oh well in forums the neg rep is more some kind of childish revenge way to release rl pressure than a real troll birth-control method that is what should be.
    Proud member of Lotusfly's squelch list!

Disagreeing with people with 1000+ rep is a dangerous thing.
    I wish there was a way to contest negative rep, instead of being discouraged from making good but unpopular arguments :/
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Smile

forum reputation is overrated.

That said, if you got negative reputation without a 'good reason' (read forum guide on reputation system http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=184383), you can still report your post and note something like 'please remove negative reputation'. In case negative reputation was not given justified it will get removed within a few days.

Usually when giving positive reputation people give explaination just because to let the other know the it was actually YOU who was giving positive reputation. Because for some reason you hope you get positive reputation too from the other. Note that one can look through your posts and give positive reputation for posts where positive reputation is justified. One hand washes the other. The explaination is a minor point.

For the same reason the common sense is to NOT give an explaination when you give negative reputation. Because you do not want to get negative reputation for giving negative reputation. Note, that those people can look at all your posts and give you negative reputation for those posts where negative reputation is justified. The explaination gets lost, because you can not give it anonymously.
    Last edited by lhidda; 11-21-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Calling it "reputation" was probably not the best choice. When you say something that is factually incorrect, or something that many people disagree with, it will change the opinion people have of you, and thus reduce your "reputation". Giving someone negative reputation for that reason is valid, while it may not be a fair thing to do.

Community Member

Default eh, who cares

Seriously, doesnt matter in the slightest on these forums what your rep is. There are some posters on these forums with very good rep who are total dbags, some of them ive never seen an intelligent post from, they just post to aggravate people. They have friends or guild members or alternate accounts give them rep, but who cares anyhow, lol, seems pathetic to me.

Btw, feel free to give me neg rep for this, i certainly wont bother to contest it.

Well, your post got nothing wrong at all, but reputation sadly has nothing to do with saying right things.

Just don't care about it, you will always get neg rep for unpopular arguments, some people are so attached to their PoV that they would never admit they were wrong and got offended quite easily so they give out neg rep
    Oh, and the fact that most people think that something is right doesn't mean it is right (Galileo Galilei docet )
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

As others have said, it was probably because you were passing out incorrect info. Which is neg rep worthy tbh. Just like a good informative posts are Pos rep worthy.

Not everything is simply because people disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by totalmir View Post
    Well on any decent forums not maintained by the likes of these people here the rep system works nicelly and is always visible whom it was that pos/neg repped you.Also on decent forums not maintained by the likes of these people here the repper is required to file in a small and visible explanation of why he thought your post was pos/neg worthy.
    That brings us to a simple conclusion that these forums are extremelly poorly handled.
    I use to send people PM's when I neg Repped them and why, and all it accomplished was they would become bitter towards me, feel it was unjustified (Like anyone feels their neg rep is justified ) they would neg me back in revenge, and then start a spat war with me on the forums.

I mean think about it, the OP is making a fuss about their neg rep on the forums, and the person below them, is feeling unjustified about their neg rep.

So I conclude it's not the people who run the forums but the people who post here that dictate how the rep system needs to work and be handled.

The Forum system is handled well here, where if you feel you got a Neg Rep unjustly, report it, and the Mods will come in and check. If they leave it, you deserved it, and learn to move on. If that person is abusing the Rep system by neging you because they disagree with you, they can get disciplinary action for it.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Do "neutral" reps exist ? I have 2 colourless points on my log ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    As others have said, it was probably because you were passing out incorrect info. Which is neg rep worthy tbh. Just like a good informative posts are Pos rep worthy.

Not everything is simply because people disagree with you.
    Incorrect info? I think that the post is pretty well written and informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Colourless points indicate that a person gave you negative reputation but didn't have enough rep to hand out negative reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post
    Those are neg rep given out from people that do not have enough positive rep

Edit: doh, beaten by Forzah

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Ah, okay, thank you !

It used to really bug me when I got a neg rep... i mean it really dug into my soul.
    it's like an anonymous slap in the face that you dont get to defend yourself against.
    the only way to not get neg reps is to not have an opinion.

its not just a problem here, its a problem on forums all over the net.

you are going to have to learn to rise above how it makes you feel.
    its not fair that someone can put you down without having their name put to it, but think of it this way:

You cant spend these green squares on anything. They dont have a dollar value.
    The amount of green squares is no indication that I someone knows how to play or anything they say is right.

Golden Rule: Anything you say on the internet will be used against you by trolls and they will also talk about you behind your backs to their cats.

Go on REDDIT.com. The most insightful well researched mind blowing post will never acheive the same status as a picture of a cat.
    This is the internet. It's not always friendly. People can be arseholes.

I am 'Whitehawk74 the Trustworthy'... or so it says.
    My demands are simple. Ducks, penguins and tortoises as pets. I'll buy hats and bow-ties for them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    Colourless points indicate that a person gave you negative reputation but didn't have enough rep to hand out negative reputation.
    Or that the neg rep was overturned by a moderator. It has happened to me before.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Disagreeing with people with 1000+ rep is a dangerous thing.
    I wish there was a way to contest negative rep, instead of being discouraged from making good but unpopular arguments :/
    You can contest it. Report your own post (the one that got the neg rep) with a clear, concise, and polite explanation of why you feel the neg rep was not deserved.

If the mods agree, your neg rep for that post can be overturned.
    Heatherx Rgr12/Arti6/Rog2 (PL: 3 Wiz; 1 FvS; 2 Sor; 1 Clr; 1 Arti; 1 Rog)
    Toryen Warchanter 22 ~ Treslyn Cleric 24 ~ Lohikaerme Druid 23 ~ Khenshii Monk 20

Heroes of Light and Darkness ~ Argonnessen

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast