Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,710

    Default UMD lag worse now? or is it my new setup?

    Since update 16 my umd lag has been worse than ever, i mean way worse, any charisma lowering mob or mob that casts spells that lower umd in any way will freeze me for several seconds at least.

    However right when u16 came i switched my second computer from a tower to a laptop. In addition i switch 2nd computer from hardwired to router to using wifi from same router.

    So the question is, is umd lag worse than ever or is it my new setup.

    Also new laptop is using win8, which im fairly unfamiliar with, could it be using more bandwidth?

    Are others having more lag?

  2. #2
    DDO Catalog MrCow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Merrimack, NH
    Posts
    7,316

    Default

    I can only state what I've experienced, which is that on a computer where I couldn't notice the infamous UMD lag (due to running DDO on a Solid State Drive), it came back in Update 16.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

  3. #3
    Community Member MsEricka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg Canada
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    UMD lag is weird. Personally I've never experienced it, but I know others that have. I haven't heard anything about it getting better or worse lately though.

  4. #4

    Default

    I haven’t noticed UMD lag getting “worse”. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still there and is still ridiculous. But it’s not worse than U15.

    It is possible that switching to a laptop and/or a wireless connection could be making things worse for you. There’s not much you can do if it’s hardware related. But you can isolate a network issue by running your laptop over a wired connection for a while. Things like microwaves and cordless phones can be messing with your signal.

    I believe that UMD is calculated on the server. This is based on comments Eladrin has made and the fact that switching over to a Solid State Drive took care of most of my DDO issues except for this one. Eladrin mentioned that they were making changes to the skill so that it didn’t check as often. It sounds like it will help when we get hit with skill penalties like curse. But, probably won’t help much with actual gear swaps. (Unless the program on the server is currently getting hammered with UMD check requests. Then it may help.)
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

  5. #5
    Community Member Illarvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01000010 View Post
    Since update 16 my umd lag has been worse than ever, i mean way worse, any charisma lowering mob or mob that casts spells that lower umd in any way will freeze me for several seconds at least.

    However right when u16 came i switched my second computer from a tower to a laptop. In addition i switch 2nd computer from hardwired to router to using wifi from same router.

    So the question is, is umd lag worse than ever or is it my new setup.

    Also new laptop is using win8, which im fairly unfamiliar with, could it be using more bandwidth?

    Are others having more lag?

    Windows 8 performs the same as windows 7.
    Wireless shouldn't affect it at all.
    Below is a fix you should try if the game is unplayable for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    UMD lag is weird. Personally I've never experienced it, but I know others that have. I haven't heard anything about it getting better or worse lately though.
    The UMD lag comes from DX10/11. XP users, or people running DX9 cards will not get UMD lag.
    Now it doesn't get everyone with DX10/11, but it is a lot.
    I've been posting this for years, I just wish turbine would hurry up and fix it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I posted about this a long time ago on the European forums, but it has long since been gone.

    The simple fix is to goto where the game is installed, typically C:/program files(x86)/turbine/dungeons and dragons online

    Find dndclient.exe
    If this doesn't work try dndlauncher.exe

    Right click then go to properties.

    Go to the Compatibility Tab.

    And Tick the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

    Windows XP (Service Pack 3) - For Windows 7/8
    Windows XP (Service Pack 2) - For Windows Vista (iirc)

    Note: You will loose DX10/DX11 by using this method
    But you Should have no lag with switching items and changing characters.

    Another way to fix lag in certain quests, is to set "Environment Stencil Shadow" to Off.
    Last edited by Illarvan; 12-07-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    ~Illarvan~ Rog 4| ~Madabar~ Src 25 | Leader of HaM | Raphaela Clr 23 | ~Cerebal~ FvS 25
    ~Minxe~
    Barb 23 | ~Thevillage~ Art 23 | Dulcia Pal 23 | Saucie Rgr 23 | Knomdam Monk 23 | ~Floozy~ Ftr 20 | Taruz Wiz 20 | Malinder Rog 20
    We are recruiting!

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In a box.
    Posts
    2,268

    Default

    Yes, it's gotten nastier over the last 3 updates.

    I've been running a fresh arti for two hours now, and after two hours of stuttering, rubberbanding, mob-teleporting-as-I-switch-weapons mess (as well as two out of every three repeater volleys not registering) I'm shelving this guy until Turbine gets their sh*t together and fixes one of those issues.

  7. #7
    Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,257

    Default

    Some of my chars have it, others not.
    I'm clueless why.
    __________________________________________________
    English is not my first language - misinterpretations galore !

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,822

    Default

    It is horrid for me when fighting anything that casts fear. I keep forgetting to grab my Reaver's Ring, and there isn't a lot of things I am fighting currently that cast fear. But when it happens it seizes the game for a few seconds.


    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

  9. #9
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    work....
    Posts
    30,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Illarvan View Post
    Wireless shouldn't affect it at all.
    Wireless WILL effect you because your signal can get screwed up all sorts of different ways that you will never get indications about.

    With something that is very reliant upon time sensitive data that you can not buffer, you never use wireless.

    Also, the only issue with UMD I've noticed is that with characters that actually do have UMD, it is worse compared to U15. Characters without, no change.

  10. #10
    Community Member Silex_Molior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    I can only state what I've experienced, which is that on a computer where I couldn't notice the infamous UMD lag (due to running DDO on a Solid State Drive), it came back in Update 16.
    ^^^

    Ditto. Never, ever had umd lag - EVER. Not once. Until update 16.

  11. #11
    Community Member Illarvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Wireless WILL effect you because your signal can get screwed up all sorts of different ways that you will never get indications about.

    With something that is very reliant upon time sensitive data that you can not buffer, you never use wireless.

    Also, the only issue with UMD I've noticed is that with characters that actually do have UMD, it is worse compared to U15. Characters without, no change.
    My point was that wireless shouldn't create the UMD lag. I personally don't like using wireless but it is still fast enough to play on even on G. I know people who play games like BF3 on wireless, which is far more "time sensitive" than DDO with no problems at all.
    ~Illarvan~ Rog 4| ~Madabar~ Src 25 | Leader of HaM | Raphaela Clr 23 | ~Cerebal~ FvS 25
    ~Minxe~
    Barb 23 | ~Thevillage~ Art 23 | Dulcia Pal 23 | Saucie Rgr 23 | Knomdam Monk 23 | ~Floozy~ Ftr 20 | Taruz Wiz 20 | Malinder Rog 20
    We are recruiting!

  12. #12
    Community Member Illarvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silex_Molior View Post
    ^^^

    Ditto. Never, ever had umd lag - EVER. Not once. Until update 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    I can only state what I've experienced, which is that on a computer where I couldn't notice the infamous UMD lag (due to running DDO on a Solid State Drive), it came back in Update 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    UMD lag is weird. Personally I've never experienced it, but I know others that have. I haven't heard anything about it getting better or worse lately though.
    What operating systems are you running, and graphics cards?
    ~Illarvan~ Rog 4| ~Madabar~ Src 25 | Leader of HaM | Raphaela Clr 23 | ~Cerebal~ FvS 25
    ~Minxe~
    Barb 23 | ~Thevillage~ Art 23 | Dulcia Pal 23 | Saucie Rgr 23 | Knomdam Monk 23 | ~Floozy~ Ftr 20 | Taruz Wiz 20 | Malinder Rog 20
    We are recruiting!

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    613

    Default

    I don't think it's related to dx10 vs 9 - I get it and I switched own to dx9 a long time ago. Also I have no idea how they could screw up code that much that checking your full inventory every time one stat changes would be related to video settings, but I guess I'll believe anything at this point for bug origins.

    I did notice that it got a little bit worse (Dreaming Dark's the big test), so I finally slotted cha+6 and as much of my umd gear as I permanently could, and it seems to be a lot less. It might be that if you're near UMD thresholds for a lot of your gear or scrolls it would lag you worse (because I'm a bit above nearly all my items at this point). GH still lags but not as much as it used to, but major cha damage still halts me for 5sec per each pass.

  14. #14
    Community Member Illarvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locus View Post
    I don't think it's related to dx10 vs 9 - I get it and I switched own to dx9 a long time ago. Also I have no idea how they could screw up code that much that checking your full inventory every time one stat changes would be related to video settings, but I guess I'll believe anything at this point for bug origins.

    I did notice that it got a little bit worse (Dreaming Dark's the big test), so I finally slotted cha+6 and as much of my umd gear as I permanently could, and it seems to be a lot less. It might be that if you're near UMD thresholds for a lot of your gear or scrolls it would lag you worse (because I'm a bit above nearly all my items at this point). GH still lags but not as much as it used to, but major cha damage still halts me for 5sec per each pass.
    How did you switch to DX9? Everyone who has used my fix, has had the UMD/Item switching lag fixed. I've done a lot of testing on this problem, on a fair few different computers/operating systems, the only way i've found to fix it, is to get the .exe to run as XP (which disables DX10/11 automatically) turning DX10/11 off in game, doesn't have any effect.
    ~Illarvan~ Rog 4| ~Madabar~ Src 25 | Leader of HaM | Raphaela Clr 23 | ~Cerebal~ FvS 25
    ~Minxe~
    Barb 23 | ~Thevillage~ Art 23 | Dulcia Pal 23 | Saucie Rgr 23 | Knomdam Monk 23 | ~Floozy~ Ftr 20 | Taruz Wiz 20 | Malinder Rog 20
    We are recruiting!

  15. #15
    Community Member Contrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    136

    Default

    I barely noticed it before U14 myself. I never experienced frame rate drop from acid rain before that, either.

    It's really quite strange.
    Rognac / Oesel / Zaegroenhali / Maloich / Eriaolys / Voidmind / Pastacide / Orangewing / Veraya / Sisutu / Peletis / Lacrimis / Clipped / Somniloquy / Hypnagogic / Othafa

    Khyber / The Hand of the Black Tower

  16. #16
    Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    i havn't noticed any increase to UMD lag, and as the player of several bards and several rogues and rogue splashes, i noticed the lag.

    i'm running 32 bit win7 on a 3 year old quad core rig.


    i put this fix into place several updates ago and have been very happy ever since, altho i did just before U16 also put into place this fix to solve my zone crashes into sands/orchard/etc. and that also has been absolutely stellar.

    the official home of LOLWUT

    LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

  17. #17
    Community Member Illarvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    i havn't noticed any increase to UMD lag, and as the player of several bards and several rogues and rogue splashes, i noticed the lag.

    i'm running 32 bit win7 on a 3 year old quad core rig.


    i put this fix into place several updates ago and have been very happy ever since, altho i did just before U16 also put into place this fix to solve my zone crashes into sands/orchard/etc. and that also has been absolutely stellar.
    I'm getting increased lag on U16 aswell, i'm guessing people who have UMD lag are just getting hit much worse with it.
    ~Illarvan~ Rog 4| ~Madabar~ Src 25 | Leader of HaM | Raphaela Clr 23 | ~Cerebal~ FvS 25
    ~Minxe~
    Barb 23 | ~Thevillage~ Art 23 | Dulcia Pal 23 | Saucie Rgr 23 | Knomdam Monk 23 | ~Floozy~ Ftr 20 | Taruz Wiz 20 | Malinder Rog 20
    We are recruiting!

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Illarvan View Post
    How did you switch to DX9? Everyone who has used my fix, has had the UMD/Item switching lag fixed. I've done a lot of testing on this problem, on a fair few different computers/operating systems, the only way i've found to fix it, is to get the .exe to run as XP (which disables DX10/11 automatically) turning DX10/11 off in game, doesn't have any effect.
    Oh well! That's really interesting; thanks for the info. I did just turn it off in game and assumed it did what it said, hah. I'll run it in XP mode and report back. *goes to check Illarvan's post history for more info.

    edit: Wow, what the hell? I loaded in 1/5th the time, probably, and also took the epic destiny trainer a *lot* less time to recalculate my destinies (5-6s instead of a min+). It's not just UMD that xp compat mode fixes. Thanks!
    Last edited by locus; 11-20-2012 at 08:57 AM.

  19. #19
    Community Member Illarvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by locus View Post
    Oh well! That's really interesting; thanks for the info. I did just turn it off in game and assumed it did what it said, hah. I'll run it in XP mode and report back. *goes to check Illarvan's post history for more info.

    edit: Wow, what the hell? I loaded in 1/5th the time, probably, and also took the epic destiny trainer a *lot* less time to recalculate my destinies (5-6s instead of a min+). It's not just UMD that xp compat mode fixes. Thanks!
    It fixes anything that changes your sheet. So for example, equipping the madstone shield adds "tower shield proficiency" will lag out, this fixes it. I just wish turbine would take note
    ~Illarvan~ Rog 4| ~Madabar~ Src 25 | Leader of HaM | Raphaela Clr 23 | ~Cerebal~ FvS 25
    ~Minxe~
    Barb 23 | ~Thevillage~ Art 23 | Dulcia Pal 23 | Saucie Rgr 23 | Knomdam Monk 23 | ~Floozy~ Ftr 20 | Taruz Wiz 20 | Malinder Rog 20
    We are recruiting!

  20. #20
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Illarvan View Post
    It fixes anything that changes your sheet. So for example, equipping the madstone shield adds "tower shield proficiency" will lag out, this fixes it. I just wish turbine would take note
    Yeah, the UMD 'fix' of not recalculating on the fly isn't going to fix most of it; it's definitely a bigger issue. I'm ok with dx9 though thankfully

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload