Default Upgrade Tome drops

Sorry my search fu is weak but can anyone tell me the quest level ranges that various upgrade tomes drop for

eg. +1 tomes drop from levels 8-15
    +1 to +2 tomes drop from level 15-19 etc.

in particular which level range do +3 to +4 and +4 to +5 drop?
    "Focus on Adventure Not Grind"

As per Feather_of_Sun:

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun
    +3 tomes appear in level 23-26 treasure, and +4 tomes appear in level 27+ treasure.
    Also of tome looting importance:

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun
    The chance of tomes dropping is actually getting a significant increase.
    Currently on Live, every item generated in a chest has a 1 in 434 chance of being an ability score tome.
    In Update 16, those odds are increased to 1 in 333.
    The new Upgrade tomes will be a sizable percentage of all ability tome drops- for example, when a +4 tome would drop, it will instead have a 25% chance of being a +4 to +5 upgrade tome.

Same goes for +3 tomes (which will drop in treasure chests of level 23-26): 25% of them will be a +3 to +4 upgrade tome.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Community Member

Default upgrade tomes

Pulled a +3 to a +4 constitution upgrade tome from the end reward after a hard Genesis Point last night on Thelanis.
    Last edited by Annosirus; 11-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Proud Officer of Storm Lords
    Annosirus~Neroon~Cortexiphan~Entil~Feliss~Killinge we~Krymsynsith

Firstly +1 to both of you,

but aren't your answers contradictory?

Genesis point is is level 20 on hard, even with +2 loot bonus its a level 22 quest? So how does a +3 to +4 tome appear in Genesis point.

I am really confused so if I want to pull +3 to +4 tomes are level 22 quests sufficient or have I completely misunderstood the tome loot mechanic?

Community Member

Default upgrade tomes

I was surprised to see it in the list as well but it was the end reward not a chest in the adventure. Not sure if that makes a difference in the loot tables calculations or not or if it is affected by the +2 loot bonus currently running.
    Last edited by Annosirus; 11-19-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    Proud Officer of Storm Lords
    Annosirus~Neroon~Cortexiphan~Entil~Feliss~Killinge we~Krymsynsith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xezrak View Post
    Firstly +1 to both of you,

but aren't your answers contradictory?

Genesis point is is level 20 on hard, even with +2 loot bonus its a level 22 quest? So how does a +3 to +4 tome appear in Genesis point.

I am really confused so if I want to pull +3 to +4 tomes are level 22 quests sufficient or have I completely misunderstood the tome loot mechanic?
    Keep in mind, the whole quest level = chest level is not always true. Some chests may be higher or lower level that the quest they appear in.

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    Keep in mind, the whole quest level = chest level is not always true. Some chests may be higher or lower level that the quest they appear in.
    Oh, is there any way to know what a particular chest level is?

Also what would be the best way to obtain 3-4 upgrade and 4-5 upgrade tomes? Can for 4-5 tomes be acquired outside of EE and without using loot gems? The tome drop mechanic is really confusing me.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

I pulled a +2 to +3 upgrade from Wrack chest in Cannith Manufactory.
    I pulled another one in EH VON5 side chest.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

pulled +2 to +3 upgrade chariama from an opt chest in epic hard chrono
    "Im-plo-sion: For when you just absolutely HAVE to kill every M*****-F***** in the room".
    (Samuel L Jackson)
    Alts: Mercilless, Relenttless, Maliciouss: The Silence sisters.

pulled +4 to +5 wis tome in eh adq1

Saw a +2 to +3 tome in the end chest of Fleshmakers.

Not sure if it was elite or hard, we were farming hard, but may have been doing elite that time for someone's streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Xezrak View Post
    Oh, is there any way to know what a particular chest level is?

Also what would be the best way to obtain 3-4 upgrade and 4-5 upgrade tomes? Can for 4-5 tomes be acquired outside of EE and without using loot gems? The tome drop mechanic is really confusing me.
    I dont know of a specific way to know the CR of a chest, but there is a general rule. Very easy to get chests such as the ones you just come across on a quest tend to be lower CR. If you have to work at it a bit by unlocking a puzzle or defeating a boss, they are at the level of the quest. Very tough fights such as Raid bosses tend to be slightly above quest CR.

I want to say it was U15 where the devs modified many chests to better match the CR. It used to be that you would normally find stuff one maybe even two levels below the CR of the quest, but supposedly they should be closer now on average.

Dont forget that there are now many ways to modify the CR of a chest, between Treasure Maps from 3BC, the Dragon Mark of Finding, and loot gems.
    Last edited by AZgreentea; 11-20-2012 at 05:39 AM.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

got a +2 to +3 in VoD elite yesterday.
    Vetafer - Vetabat - Iolho - Celho - Finkbrau - Socmel
    Reinos Olvidados, Thelanis

Pulled a +3-4 upgrade wisdom tome from a breakable (explodable) in Blown to Bits Elite. Good stuff.